what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not get motivated this morning to do anything useful, went for coffee. Then early afternoon again. Finally around three o'clock got interested and pulled my 88 Jag into the garage and started to repair the parking brake. The inspection station has been letting me slide for the past three years.

Then around 5:30 DW dragged me in from the garage by wafting some sauerkraut under my nose.That and pork for dinner with some nice Shiraz. Burp.

Took the cat to the vet for annual stuff. Made the mistake of bring the cage from the garage this morning while he observed such.
When I went to collect him he went berserk; managed to corner him in the 2nd bedroom. He circled the room (~12' sq) several times before I grabbed him.
I'm getting too old for cat wrangling.

He's healthy except he has a cavity on an incisor. So in a few weeks I'll have to spend several hundred dollars for a tooth extraction on an old cat.

Pets: not for the weak of heart or finances.

Took the cat to the vet for annual stuff. Made the mistake of bring the cage from the garage this morning while he observed such.

We always kept the cat carrier in the house so the kittys were used to it. When the time came, we simply scooped them up and plunked them into the carrier. They never knew it was coming. Now, the trip to the Vet was not a fun time for any of us. Oddly enough, they were anxious to get BACK into the carriers when their ordeal with the Vet was complete. Go figure!!

Good luck with your kitty's tooth. You might shop around for the extraction. I'm guessing there is more of a price range for that than for routine exams/shots.

Good luck with your kitty's tooth. You might shop around for the extraction. I'm guessing there is more of a price range for that than for routine exams/shots.

Pet dentistry seems to be where human dentistry was 100 years ago. Tooth is either OK, or needs to be pulled. Maybe it is just the lack of cooperation on the part of the pet? :confused: I brush my dog's teeth every day, but I can't see her letting me drill and fill. :LOL:

Pet dentistry seems to be where human dentistry was 100 years ago. Tooth is either OK, or needs to be pulled. Maybe it is just the lack of cooperation on the part of the pet? :confused: I brush my dog's teeth every day, but I can't see her letting me drill and fill. :LOL:

I figure the life span is an absolute max of 20 years.

So pull it.

Shall be expensive

This is my last cat.

Oops! I didn't know productivity was supposed to improve with all this technology. I was thinking about the old TI calculators last week. It now takes me less than an hour or two of PC computing to produce what used to take all day with primitive calculators in the mid 70's. But as you noted, I use my increased spare time online doing 'research'

I remember reading a book by Bryan Caplan, a young economist. He points out that the Puritan work ethic that is still prevalent here (we think!:)) causes people to look suspiciously at the time spent on leisure, as time that is wasted doing non-productive things. Caplan reminds me that the advantage of technology is to allow humans to work less for the same results, and that has always been the goal for man's progresses. Is there honor in shunning machinery and to till the land with a shovel and pick ax?

Ahh! It would be nice if I just work for myself, or if all my pay can be negotiated in terms of work done, so that if I work smart, I can work much less hours and get paid the same as someone who simply works hard.

And then, due to another concurrent thread about competition from abroad, it occurs to me that when you are up against someone who not only works hard, but is also getting smarter, and who has no luxury of diversions like sports game on TV or recreation activities, it is going to be tough to maintain our higher standard of living. How can I compete with someone who only works and doesn't play?

Man, oh man! We are doomed! The only way to level the playing field is to teach them the "decadence" of our leisurely lifestyle. It is our only hope.

Pets: not for the weak of heart or finances.

I used to have lots of pets, but have not had any for over a decade. Instead of a pet I have considered the option of buying a stuffed animal, but I don't know if I am ready for that much responsibility right now.... :angel: ;)

But seriously, I am sorry to hear about your kitty's tooth.

We replaced two exterior lights on our rental home and added a third in between them. The tenant pointed out that the sidewalk had some dark areas at night and we wanted to avoid that liability-insurance trap. Besides the old lights were 30 years old, with cute little pathetically-dim candle bulbs, and their plastic parts had definitely exceeded their UV exposure limits.

We got lucky. I drilled the hole through the attic into the exterior wall void and ended up right where I wanted to be (no surprise there), and right in the middle of a four-inch gap by an extra stud that I didn't know was there because the builder had never nailed any exterior siding into it. I'm lucky that my spade bit didn't go through the top plate, right into the top of that stud, and never break out. I was also able to find the wire I wanted to splice into on the first try-- usually I locate two or three candidates and have to carefully pick my way.

The new lights use 40-watt CFLs through milk glass. Bright enough to show the landscaping at night without searing your eyeballs. No dark spots on the sidewalk!

We still have to go back next week for the pruning from hell. Been a lot of rain around here lately.

Well, I haven't posted in a week since I've been out of town.

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

As life goes....we just take it one day at a time.

Ahhh...to make a long story short, my momma collapsed at home and had to be rushed to the hospital. She's doing a bit better now but her bp is low and her heart is weak. Alzheimer's is close to taking another victim....my precious momma.

My daddy is no longer able to take care of her, so we put her in a nursing home that is only a couple of miles from daddy's house.

HUG HUG HUG HUG :flowers:

I'm so sorry bbbamI. May love surround you as you proceed through the difficult days ahead.

I wore shorts and a tank top today :D while I planted 3 more hardy mums in my front raised garden bed.
The 3 new ones are to the left of the picture.

Attachments

• mumsonparade.jpg
    mumsonparade.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3

So sorry to hear about your Mom ! Take care !

So sorry to hear about you mother, bbamI. Good thing the nursing home is near your father's home so he can visit her more often.

Thank you all for your kind words through posts and PMs. The support I receive here really does make a difference in my heart...:flowers:

Saturday was the day for high school marching band area competitions across Texas for 5A high schools (there are 23 regions in Texas, each representing several hundred high schools).

This is not the marching band you remember from your high school days. These kids compete flat out at damn near a sprint. Here's DS #2's performance from about a month ago. It's only 1/2 of the final program, and a lot of it changed since then:

YouTube - Clements High School Band

For comparison, here's the same school's band performance from 1988

YouTube - CHS Ranger Band 1988-89 Mackie-Messer

SWEET!!! It has a drum corps flair to it.........:)

I brush my dog's teeth every day,
Years ago, when we had a cat, our vet once suggested doing this, and she demonstrated with a "toothbrush" that had only a few long limp "bristles," and she showed us how we were supposed to gently wipe this along the teeth and gums. It was like a joke, and I can't imagine it making any difference.

Is that for real?

I'm so sorry to hear this news bbbamI. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Years ago, when we had a cat, our vet once suggested doing this, and she demonstrated with a "toothbrush" that had only a few long limp "bristles," and she showed us how we were supposed to gently wipe this along the teeth and gums. It was like a joke, and I can't imagine it making any difference.

Is that for real?

Greyhounds are especially susceptible to tooth problems. Once there is a problem, they have to be anesthetized, which is risky for dogs with low body fat. If you look at virtually any greyhound rescue site, you'll see that tooth brushing is recommended. That said, I had a whippet (very greyhound like) for 16 years and never brushed his teeth, though I did chip tartar off with dental tools. He never lost a tooth. Amazingly, my dog comes running when she hears the closet with the doggie toothbrush in it open. She knows that she will get a tooth cleaning treat when it is over. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom