what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Balanced the checkbook for the past two months.
Made some phone calls for the consulting gig.
Gin for a couple of hours at the CC.
Closed for golf today, but weather will be nice for the rest of the week
Picked up medications for the dogs.
Found ground chuck on sale and make a big pot of chili.

Man I have been sleeping well since the nights are cooler.

Today is road trip day - back to East Nowhere we go, tra la la la la...:whistle:

My 4 legged kids will be glad to see me after almost a week at "doggie camp". I have a really nice kennel to board them at. The owner takes very good care of her charges. :D

This is fun getting away on short trips. Holidays will be spent in MA also. I feel a good lifestyle change coming on. Holidays with a family. :flowers:

I have a new little friend, the 12 year old daughter of Mr Boston's cousins's daughter. She's at the right age to have a mentor. I volunteer! :)

Don't get envious, get in your RV and go! :)
If it would be so simple. Sigh...

My wife has commitment in family matters again. So, I also made some committment in my part-time w*rk. I guess I can do the work while on the road, but I always have problems mixing work and leisure. So, no RV'ing for a couple of months.

He must be waiting for you to finish the pergola.

I'm looking for a good set of pergola plans myself-- will you be posting pictures?

I'm not starting construction until spring, but I am planning to build this one. It's in the July issue of Wood magazine. Just in case it strikes your fancy. Nice looking (IMO) and not too difficult.

woodstore_2129_33467076

Today was the one year anniversary of my retirement. It's hard to believe! This year has sped by so quickly.

All in all, I did not want to post a separate thread about my retirement experiences thus far because I think everyone knows how happy I have been (I do post a lot about it). The market has moved upwards during the year, which is sure encouraging for a new retiree. My nest egg is bigger now than the day I retired, by about two years' living expenses. Even better, I have had 365 wonderful long days of retirement so far, and I know tomorrow will be the 366th. All this and it has cost less than nothing. ;)

Thanks to all of you for your advice and reflections on retirement, which have guided me around any potential rough patches and helped me towards my present existence - - enjoying a retirement that is full of joy, wonder, and bliss.

Wow, time flies when one is having fun!
But doesn't that also mean we are getting older quicker. :(

By the way, I like your new avatar, the real young W2R I believe. Right?

You took away the posting of a recent photo, but I think I can recall some resemblance.;)

Wow, time flies when one is having fun!
But doesn't that also mean we are getting older quicker. :(

By the way, I like your new avatar, the real young W2R I believe. Right?

Yes, it does. How did I suddenly get to be 62? I was only 61 when I retired. :2funny:

Thank you. Yes, it is a 1965 photo of me.

Last edited:
Dropped spouse off at the airport for a six-day Mainland volunteering trip. I have the run of the house all to myself! So now I can get all that [-]surfing[/-] dusting & floor-cleaning done whenever I feel like it...

USAA claims to be doing phone verification of policy-holder details. The poor guy at the call center had to spend the first five minutes of our conversation convincing me that this is not a phishing scam. Then he had to plead no contest to the charge of wasting our premiums by not letting me type in my answers to his website directly. And then he struck out when he offered to transfer me to their USAA financial-advisory service.

I think it's time to see what the GEICO Gecko can do for us. Or maybe I'm getting exactly the level of "servicing" that I'm paying for.

I'm not starting construction until spring, but I am planning to build this one. It's in the July issue of Wood magazine. Just in case it strikes your fancy. Nice looking (IMO) and not too difficult.
Thanks, that looks perfect! We'd be putting it along our house's south wall and anchoring one side of the overhead beams to our roof. I like the way it can be roofed with photovoltaic panels, too.

Thank you. Yes, it is a 1965 photo of me.
Imagine if we all had to change our avatars to our high-school yearbook photos... it'd be like Jennifer day all over again.

Imagine if we all had to change our avatars to our high-school yearbook photos... it'd be like Jennifer day all over again.

I think I look better today than I did in '65.
------------------------------------------------------
Today I went to the new Kroger store in Beavercreek. Larger and prettier than old one.
Marble floors.
Was there for 45 minutes and my hips are seriously hurting. Another reminder of why retiring was so good.

I think I look better today than I did in '65.
Boy...I wish I could say I look better now than I did in my teenage years...:p

Got the mail today and a letter on a financial seminar inquired whether or not I have the funds to retire. I thought, 'ehhh...a bit too late for this one', and tossed it.

I got a fun check today. I am a volunteer Wildland Firefighter. Well I was out on our fire stations water tender backing up an engine task group for 2 days in June. Low and behold I got a check from the USFS for $540 bucks, no 1099 when under $600.

I am doing the happy dance

Spouse will be on the Mainland until Monday, so today was "guy's errand day". I ran around swapping out library books, returning extra parts at the hardware store, checking out digital multimeters at Radio Shack, getting parts to fix a set of iPod speakers, and putting air in the tires on spouse's car. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning gutters and soldering connectors.

Now Scoobie is happily snorkeling through our tile floors while I'm finishing dinner. Tonight I'm going to a solar [-]geek[/-] company's free presentation on new installations & equipment.

PenFed has just informed me that our local title company will come out to our house on a Saturday to close our refinance (anytime up to 7 PM). Even if there's not a UH football game that day, I'm pretty sure that our local title company would be heartily amused to learn of their new level of enhanced customer service. If I was a newbie refinancer I'd be feeling pretty whiplashed by now. As it is I just keep my focus on that low, low 3.625% interest rate while patiently asking PenFed to answer my questions or give me someone local to talk to.

Otherwise I'm ready to bring on the holiday. I don't need to leave the house again until Friday morning.

Last edited:
Boy...I wish I could say I look better now than I did in my teenage years...:p
I don't know if I look better now or back then. Don't even have any old photo handy. I may not even have any. Well, let's just say I look "different" now than back then.

But I am sure, really really sure, that I felt a lot better then. Sigh...

I am almost at my high school weight but somehow it is distributed differently and not in a flattering way !:)
Yeah...I've read about your weight loss. Congratulations!

...and I hear ya about 'distributed stuff'....but with a little yankin' and pullin' I think we still might look purty. Besides...I've seen the lovely pic of you and your daughter. :flowers:

I don't know if I look better now or back then. Don't even have any old photo handy. I may not even have any. Well, let's just say I look "different" now than back then.

But I am sure, really really sure, that I felt a lot better then. Sigh...
Mmm, hmmm....I look at my old pics and think..'was that really me?'. As far as the feelin' goes, if it hurts that at least means it hasn't fallen off...:-\

Yeah...I've read about your weight loss. Congratulations!

Besides...I've seen the lovely pic of you and your daughter. :flowers:

...:-\

Thanks ! That picture was at my top weight but it's still my favorite picture of My daughter & I . We have a great relationship ! Before she got married we used to travel together and I have some great memories of those times.

I took the cat to the vet for his post-operative checkup. No blood was shed.

A representative from an organization I donate to called to make a lunch date. I assume they want them in my will. I've been considering such and I'm sure she will make it simple to do so.

Pruned a 50-foot line of palm trees with a pole saw and put the results in two 65-gallon green waste cans. In a day or two I'll finish the other 50-foot line.

Squatted and duck-walked around two stories worth of gutters with a shop vac. Caught my slipper on a PV panel and blew out the slipper's strap, but I have spares for that. Everything else on the roof seems fine. I noticed that our lychee tree seems to be trying to fruit again but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It's not supposed to do that for another 3-4 months.

After my shower and 800 mg of ibuprofen I decided to defer sniffing solder fumes to another day. Lots to write about for the blog and tweaking the Facebook/Twitter feeds.

Got a $30 electric bill today. Last month's photovoltaic weather really was nasty rainy and overcast...

Got a $30 electric bill today. Last month's photovoltaic weather really was nasty rainy and overcast...

I am the last house on the grid in my canyon. My neighbors are always trying to convert me to solar.

Thing is my average bill is $40, 2 months of central A/C shoots it up $100. So at $600
a year and a $20K conversion. I don't think so.

We do have over 300 sunny days a year, about 18 in. of rainfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom