what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been applying that same function to a few "content-free" posters...
Uh oh, that means I'm on your ignore list. Man...you won't be able to read what I did today. That's a bummer! :D

So anyway, last night I put bait in the live animal trap to ummm, trap a possum. Kiwi and cat food...yummy.

This morning I had something in the trap...a cat. He was washing his face, undisturbed by the fact he was locked in a cage. I opened the latch; he walked out, looked at me and burped...then walked away. :LOL:

Ahhhh well.

Uh oh, that means I'm on your ignore list. Man...you won't be able to read what I did today. That's a bummer! :D

So anyway, last night I put bait in the live animal trap to ummm, trap a possum. Kiwi and cat food...yummy.

This morning I had something in the trap...a cat. He was washing his face, undisturbed by the fact he was locked in a cage. I opened the latch; he walked out, looked at me and burped...then walked away. :LOL:

Ahhhh well.

You did better than I did. I caught a smelly black critter with a white stripe.

We coated the cat food with peanut butter and it worked .
Well...I put out moist food...that might be a little difficult to smear peanut butter on. :D Ahhh...guess I'll have to go to the grocery store again for some homemade possum chow ingredients.

Thanks for the tip! :)
You did better than I did. I caught a smelly black critter with a white stripe.

Ahhhhh.....:D

...(snip)...
Our daughter called this morning from college needing neither money nor paperwork-- just an hour of [-]hearing our voices[/-] advice. She's been studying for finals for six straight days, the calculus final didn't go as well as she hoped, and she's contemplating the one-two punch of physics & chemistry early next week. She'll work it out. The NROTC lieutenants are all over her about the wonders of "command at sea" and "nuclear submarines". She'll also be home in just 6.5 days for some long-overdue surfing, so I'm looking forward to a number of interesting conversations...
Hi Nords, so what was the advice you gave her? And what's her major and does she know what she wants to do with it? Just curious (we have a 26 year old college son in college too who's interested in advertising, a subject which I know nothing about).

Spent the last two days pricing DH's comic collection using an online source.

I've been threatening to throw out the boxes for YEARS because I'm tired of finding a place to store them every time we move.

Turns out he has some pretty valuable comics. His entire collection is worth about $3k retail....looks like I won't be throwing out those boxes after all!

Listening to "Soundscapes" on digital cable radio channel. Soundscapes is a wonderful way to start the day - nice peaceful instrumental music versus the Christmas pop music clogging all of the local radio stations. I enjoy Christmas music but after a week of it nonstop....:nonono:

Mr Boston is gone for coffee and errands, so I can quickly wrap his presents. Heeheehee :D

Today is front window delivery day, with tomorrow AM scheduled for the installation. I am replacing a 1977 vintage drafty bow window (with 2 casement windows) with a more thermally efficient flat picture window flanked by 2 double hung windows. I will finally be able to put a window AC unit into the living room for the 1 week of summer in July ;).
My contractor has no fear of the cold, predicted to be a balmy 33F with 5-10 mph windspeed. :LOL: I will have the coffee pot running at full tilt for the guys, maybe even some hot soup for when they are done. I treat my contractors right. :D

Turns out he has some pretty valuable comics. His entire collection is worth about $3k retail....looks like I won't be throwing out those boxes after all!
You should get $3k one at a time. But if you want the whole lots sold, a dealer should give you $1.5k. I just sold my brothers collection last year.

Spent the last two days pricing DH's comic collection using an online source.

I've been threatening to throw out the boxes for YEARS because I'm tired of finding a place to store them every time we move.

I sold Gary's collection on ebay last year . Depending on the comics I sold them separately or in groups of four . Take lots of pictures to document the condition and list any flaws carefully .

We're going to pack them all back up and store them. The comic book market is really down right now and I've lived with them for 20 years, so why not a bit longer.

Almost all of his comics are 1984/1985. From the research I've done comics that are +30 years old go up further in value so back to the closet they go.

Hi Nords, so what was the advice you gave her?
"Study [-]your ass off[/-] hard, young padawan."

She's starting to clutch on chem exams, so we talked through all the alternatives. Understanding the "worst case" always helps her settle down, stop overthinking the question, and go for partial credit.

She worked hard to get there. NROTC and Rice will work hard to keep her there, even if it's with a C+ GPA. I think she'd rather have a 2.50 there than a 4.00 at Leeward Community College.

And what's her major and does she know what she wants to do with it?
Civil/environmental engineering, with which skills she's someday going to single-handedly overhaul Hawaii's infrastructure. But first she needs to make her decision about NROTC and her Navy choices. I've had some more thoughts on her surprising evolving thoughts here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/command-at-sea-53593.html#post1010488

It's all her choice, and we've been through the decision process before with the USNA vs NROTC debate. We'll make sure she has full disclosure and then step back to see what she decides to do with it. That way when she realizes what a horrible mistake she's made, she'll understand that it's all her fault.

She's also noticed that she's signed up for 156 credit hours over the four-year program (which includes 24 credits of NROTC topics), and that a number of upperclass have already switched to majors like "philosophy" and "Asian studies". She is not amused.

...(snip)...
It's all her choice, and we've been through the decision process before with the USNA vs NROTC debate. We'll make sure she has full disclosure and then step back to see what she decides to do with it. That way when she realizes what a horrible mistake she's made, she'll understand that it's all her fault. ...
Very wise.

Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!

Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!
Good for you! :D

That's a Rule? Who dreamt that up?

Well, that's the title of this forum. I know it doesn't make any difference. I was a bit tipsy after celebrating my resignation with DH last night, so who knows why I took note of that...LOL...I was SUI...surfing under the influence. :LOL:

Getting more and more annoyed with my faulty and unrelaiable PC. It has been misbehaving for at least a week. A thunderbolt in the vicinity has been the cause and plenty of casualties. Among PCs, that is.
Mine at the bottom of the waiting list of repairees:(

I was a bit tipsy after celebrating my resignation with DH last night, so who knows why I took note of that...LOL...I was SUI...surfing under the influence. :LOL:

I've got to remember that one.
I've made post a time or two that I had to go back and apologize for. Or at least I thought I might need to.
Not sure why that stuff makes me crazy.
My liver keeps asking me too.
But I guess that's why I pay good money for it.:D
Steve

Nursing myself as I have a cold. Did Christmas cards, played on the computer too long. Did put up a third motion light. Two 90 watt halogen floods in this one.

I'm starting a nifty new software project. No, not for pay.

The gotcha (there's always a gotcha) is that this will be an Open Source project, for Linux platforms (and various BSD distributions eventually). I have computers, but they are mostly PowerPC or 68040 based gear (I know. So Stone Age!) So, Step 0 is to construct an x86 Linux box. On an Open Source sort of budget. :LOL:

This should keep me out of trouble for a while.

I went shopping and bought clothes and shoes.

Some of you might think this a minor affair.

I really don't like it; and have to do it again tomorrow.

Don't know if you can imagine the trauma.

Fortunately was a Monday morning so not too bad.

I can sympathize with you. I hate clothes shopping. MY DW of course doesn't understand.

Spent a good part of the afternoon packing bags for trip to Cozumel next Saturday. Bought a condo there just this past May and am taking down, linens, clothes, small appliances, toiletries, etc. Trying to maximize the allowable weight without paying overage charges.

I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Today I bought this bike at a garage sale for $65:

img_1010919_0_947f17f718be83efff31bc8768f87491.jpg

When I got home I found that this model sold for $2,196 when new (1996)!

I made one minor repair and fixed a flat, and now it's ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom