what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 5 year old Padmas Plantation wicker wing bed - eastern king size - for $268. No mattress and had to track down $10 worth of 1.25x8x25 metric screws. Pretty freaking cool monster sized bed. Just called out to me. Much the way a rattan chair by McGuire jumped out - bought that for $5 last week. A 20 year old table lamp by one of the designers of Boyd Lighting also came home. Some pretty insane prices for these items when new, but they do have some very nice attention to detail. Thank heavens for being surrounded by people with lots of cash and some taste!

Boy do we need a mattress! Our air bed has suffered startled cat claw puncture. Have effected Goop repair, but think there is still a wee leak unfound.

I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

Today I bought this bike at a garage sale for $65:

When I got home I found that this model sold for $2,196 when new (1996)!

I made one minor repair and fixed a flat, and now it's ready to go.

Wow, awesome buy, Al.

Loaded the truck with tools and materials for final fixup of renos at DD's house. Checked the temperature there, -33C, <sarcasm on> :clap::dance::clap::dance:<sarcasm off>:(:(:(

It's about 300 miles. There's about 120 miles of "no one and nothing" between her town and the [-]edges of[/-] civilization. About half way through it there is a highway webcam that people use for road conditions. Checked it, must be broken, appears to be pointing down at the road rather than each way. Could be a slow trip.

I've been looking for a craigslist bike to buy for Jenny so that we can all ride together when she visits for Christmas.

I knew you has a great buy as soon as I saw the pic. An old buddy of mine used to own a bike shop and sold the Specialized brand. Well done.

Celebrated the young wife's 50th birthday: Took the train into the City, went to Rockefeller Center to admire the tree and the skaters, looked in the Saks windows, saw Jersey Boys on Broadway, then went to an Indonesian restaurant on Ninth Ave, where we had an excellent rijsttafel.

img_1010957_0_947f17f718be83efff31bc8768f87491.jpg

Great find !

Celebrated the young wife's 50th birthday: Took the train into the City, went to Rockefeller Center to admire the tree and the skaters, looked in the Saks windows, saw Jersey Boys on Broadway, then went to an Indonesian restaurant on Ninth Ave, where we had an excellent rijsttafel.
That's easy for you to say....

oh...and happy birthday to your wife. :flowers:

Wow, NYC, dinner and a Broadway play, the Christmas tree and Saks windows all dressed up for Christmas? Sounds like a wonderful birthday for her - - a fabulous day that she can always remember. :)

OK, you piqued my curiosity. I don't know where you are going to and from. So, I looked at that broken Webcam, and it said something about temperature in La Ronge being -35C (-31F). Then, I looked for La Ronge on the google map.

I don't think I am going to add this to my list of places to visit with my RV.

Loaded the truck with tools and materials for final fixup of renos at DD's house. Checked the temperature there, -33C, <sarcasm on> :clap::dance::clap::dance:<sarcasm off>:(:(:(

It's about 300 miles. There's about 120 miles of "no one and nothing" between her town and the [-]edges of[/-] civilization. About half way through it there is a highway webcam that people use for road conditions. Checked it, must be broken, appears to be pointing down at the road rather than each way. Could be a slow trip.

This morning I ran the two-mile qualifier in 19:28, and much to my surprise my knees and quadriceps didn't really mind. So I'm done with taekwondo qualifiers until the actual black belt test in February. I'll spend the next six weeks working on forms. The test will be about 20 students, all of whom have to do all forms with no errors and in unison. That part of the test typically takes about 6-8 hours, admittedly with occasional bathroom breaks.

Now it's time to revise my workouts. Squats & lunges are good, and probably so are situps. I need to do different types of pushups, add in handstand pushups, work back up to a dozen pullups, and be able to handle a higher intensity on the elliptical machine. Hopefully I won't have to add a bunch of other free weights to this routine. Taekwondo should cover the speed/reflex/coordination workouts and surfing can take care of the rest.

We've had a lot of rain this week: 2.5" on Thursday night and another 1-2 inches on Friday. The tenants called this morning to announce a roof leak, thankfully on the enclosed lanai's BRAI torch-on roof. I think we fixed it with some caulk but we need to re-coat the roof when the weather dries out a little.

One other thing today: I don't get out much, and I hardly ever watch commercials, but our daughter posted this Go Navy commercial to her Facebook page. It makes me want to go find an enemy submarine, sneak up on it, follow it around for a couple weeks, and frankly, perhaps have to torpedo it or TLAM a shore target. I know my emotions are being toyed with. Is that James Earl Jones narrating? I know that the dramatic background music is actually "Anchors Away". But I haven't been so influenced by a commercial since the Marine Corps broadcast the cliff-climbing one five or ten years ago.

YouTube - Power

No wonder she likes NROTC!

It's probably best not to show this commercial around teenagers and their impressionable parents...

One other thing today: I don't get out much, and I hardly ever watch commercials, but our daughter posted this Go Navy commercial to her Facebook page. It makes me want to go find an enemy submarine, sneak up on it, follow it around for a couple weeks, and frankly, perhaps have to torpedo it or TLAM a shore target...

Yeah, there is a lot of that going around:

YouTube - New Navy Ad

YouTube - Space Command

YouTube - New Air Force Ad

YouTube - THE NEW US ARMY STRONG COMMERCIAL

OK, you piqued my curiosity. I don't know where you are going to and from. So, I looked at that broken Webcam, and it said something about temperature in La Ronge being -35C (-31F). Then, I looked for La Ronge on the google map.

I don't think I am going to add this to my list of places to visit with my RV.

I'm headed for the La Ronge area, (-38C right now).

It's a wilderness area, lots of lakes, fishing. Nothing but RV's on the road all summer. If you like that sort of thing, put it on your RV list for late June early July, you won't be disappointed. Temperatures 65F - 90F, sunrise at 4:00, sunset at 10:30, never really gets dark. Downside can be a few too many bugs. Winter, stay home.

Well this isn't "life after FIRE" (I wish)...but it is what I did today: resigned from one job (toxic co-worker environment) and agreed to another to start in January. Hopefully I'm not jumping from the fire-pan into the fire...but I just couldn't stay in the fire-pan any longer!
Freedom...FREEDOM :dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations!

Today is a "get stuff done around the house day". My new picture window is just fabulous. The contractors had to put new window moulding on the inside, so I have some taping off and staining to do today. Piece of cake! :D
Temps are supposed to be in the 40s, so I can get that done with other windows open so the fumes won't be too bad. Zooooommmmm :greetings10:

Patriots play at 4:15 today, so I know where we will be. Go spandex! :LOL:

I just spent half an hour playing with the chinchilla while my daughter cleaned her cage.

High of 79F (26C) and low of 52F (11C) with clear sky here. We went for a walk of 3 miles through the neighborhood, past the town home that my daughter has made an offer on. Then, we went home to have lunch with canned sardine.

The weather here is most perfect this time of year. Before people from "up north" and the Midwest start to throw stones, let me hurry to add that this is the payback for our scorching 120F summers. Heh heh heh... It's my turn to gloat.

Plowed snow. We are finally getting in Michigan what nailed Minneapolis and Wisconsin yesterday. I have a small Kubota with 4WD and a front end leader and back blade. I cleaned up the road and did a couple of neighbors' driveways. Now they know who I think is naughty or nice. :angel:

Plowed snow. We are finally getting in Michigan what nailed Minneapolis and Wisconsin yesterday. I have a small Kubota with 4WD and a front end leader and back blade. I cleaned up the road and did a couple of neighbors' driveways. Now they know who I think is naughty or nice. :angel:

'Tis the season to be jolly...fa la la la LA la la la la :whistle:

Don't send that snow my way. :bat:

:D

Went through 3 airports and drove home through the snow.

The last couple of days too cold to do much outdoors. Good news, it's warming up. But with warmer weather, some rain moves in as well. Oh well, looks like I'm catching a good old fashion cold so probably won't be in the mood for golf anyway.

Some good news today. I purchased an AIG bond 2.5 years ago, just a few months before the financial meltdown. Dumb I know, but it was rated A- at the time and I thought what can go wrong on a short term bond like this. Heh heh, well I found out and the value of the bond dropped to 30% of face value at one point. A drop in value = an increase in med's. But a happy ending, received all my dividends and paid off in full today. The proceeds of which is headed to Penfed to put on the 5% cd special they ran a couple of months ago.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom