what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true.

Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...

That's pretty cool. I would have loved to have seen that..

Went to the 32nd Annual TubaMeister Christmas concert. 159 tuba, baritone horn and euphonium players at the outdoor Arneson River Theater on the San Antonio Riverwalk. The weather was great and the music was almost tuba good to be true.

Here's a photo of 20 of the 159 participants...

How did they ever find accommodations for all the tuba groupies?

How did they ever find accommodations for all the tuba groupies?
Not sure, but security was so tight they even had a moat in front of the stage. I heard they did it as a precaution - since it was heavy metal concert.

Attachments

• TubaMeister-Christmas01.jpg
    TubaMeister-Christmas01.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 4
Didn't do a whole lot today. Just puttered around the house some.

A little while ago I was sitting on my patio; a bird came out of nowhere and flew in a tree about 15 feet away from me. It was chirping LOUDLY and scared the bejeebers out of me! :eek:

Prolly some kind of omen. :dead:

...oh and REW, I like the tuba pic. :greetings10:

Became a brilliant mechanic.

DW's vehicle has been [-]doing stupid things [/-]acting up lately. Today was oil change (ya, I did it myself) day so I also disconnected the battery to "reboot" the computer. Changed fluids, connected battery and got in to take DW out for supper. Power seat would not go back. Tried moving it forward and it worked. Whined at DW. She said "want me to drive?". I said sure, but when she hit the driver's seat, even she was too close. Finally she said "let's take your truck" which we did.

Took mine, came home and I was still "confused". Went out, removed: negative terminal from battery; a bunch of plastic bottles from under the seat and (I hope) my mind from neutral.

Needless to say, the power seat works just fine. Which one of you witches or warlocks done it?

Not sure, but security was so tight they even had a moat in front of the stage. I heard they did it as a precaution - since it was heavy metal concert.
I'm pretty sure that was a mosh pit-- until the performers started emptying their spit valves...

Became a brilliant mechanic.

Went out, removed: negative terminal from battery; a bunch of plastic bottles from under the seat and (I hope) my mind from neutral.

Needless to say, the power seat works just fine. Which one of you witches or warlocks done it?

Pure FM, especially since seat works without re-attaching battery terminal.

Sitting here vegetating in front of [-]nice tight spandex[/-] football.

I'm [-]using up food in my upright freezer[/-] getting a little creative in the kitchen. ;)
Dinner is in the crockpot...ham chunks, pineapple, Cubanelle peppers, onions in soy/ginger/citrus marinade, to be served with pork fried rice.

Unless I am mistaken, a Sousaphone is technically a type of tuba. Played one (a Sousaphone, that is) in marching and concert bands for 8 years...

I'm [-]using up food in my upright freezer[/-] getting a little creative in the kitchen. ;)
Dinner is in the crockpot...ham chunks, pineapple, Cubanelle peppers, onions in soy/ginger/citrus marinade, to be served with pork fried rice.

LOL (the spandex) - hate watching sports so I skip that... but I'm cooking ham and bean soup for dinner. I understand the "using up food in freezer" syndrome! Ham chunks from last April, oh my... will be good in soup.

I'm just taking it easy, basically. Oh yeah, and catching up on LOST episodes - I'm finally watching the last season which is finally on Netflix on demand!

After church I did a little gardening, but only lasted about 45 minutes before I gave up—temperatures are in the low 40's today. I used to work outdoors all day in weather like this, or colder. I've really become a softy since I transferred to an office job.

Chicken, vegetables, herbs, and rice in CrockPot®.

My cooking is also getting creative in order to have refrigerator & freezer space for all the Christmas goodies . Tomorrow will be chicken cacciatore since I have all the ingredients . Next Friday & Saturday are serious cooking days and I even whip out an apron . After that it's a few days of leftovers before I have the will to cook again.:)

It's a good day for NY teams.

Buffalo beat Miami, 17-14
The Jets just won against Pittsburgh 22-17
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
The Giants...well...they lost by only 1 touchdown. :(

For Mr Boston, the Patriots play at 8 PM tonight. Hope we can watch it on TV.

Interesting thread for someone not retired yet. Gives me some ideas what to look forward too.

Family attended a cousin's birthday party turning 5 at Chuck e Cheese.

Lots of kids, lots of noise, my kids had fun, worn out mom and dad and they fell asleep during the car ride home.

Not excited for Monday as it'll be a full work day and snow coming.

We had lunch at Sid-Mar's restaurant, a little restaurant that used to be up by Lake Ponchartrain on the 17th Street Canal, by the docks used by commercial fishermen. You can see photos on their website at that link. We used to go there now and then years ago. It was destroyed by Katrina, and then the Army Corps of Engineers took the land it was on so they could not re-build. There was no Sid-Mar's for about five years. Recently they re-opened in a much different location, in a residential area just off a busy street.

Frank got seafood gumbo, I got crab and corn bisque, and we split a shrimp po-boy dressed. The food was fine, but the prices are a bit too steep for our tastes. The bill was $30 :eek:, about twice what we usually pay. Plus, part of the charm of Sid-Mar's was its location by the water. Oh well. The seafood still tastes fresh - - I have to give 'em that.

We don't go there very often any more, and apparently neither does anyone else. Anyway, we watched the fourth quarter of the Saints game with a half dozen other customers while we were there. Too bad, c'est la vie. Our Saints almost pulled it off but the Ravens won the game.

Last edited:
Yesterday we routed underground irrigation around the big mesquite - it had surrounded it's bubbler and was getting way way too much water, so I had terminated the pipe, given it a new bubbler, and left a 2' stub to go around it if there were any orphans in the watering system downstream. Turned out there was one shrub not getting a drink.
The gal had a great time laying in the sand and scratching out a trench - a return to her childhood days building cities and houses out of rocks and twigs in the 29 Palms desert sand.

Using up perishables prior to flying north for a couple weeks - makes for some interesting meals.

Cat people: we will have someone dropping by to say hi to the tuna cat and make sure she has food & such - but do you think a radio on low is good or not? She will be all by her lonesome in the house...

Had a long money chat with our 18-year-old adult. She's gone through a lot of experiential learning in the last four months, and she's beginning to believe that us ol' phart parents might actually have a point about the saving vs spending lifestyle debate.

Of course now she has to translate sentiment into action. She can track her expenses and put together a budget with the best of them, but it still seems to be a theoretical exercise to her. Then it's largely ignored until the weekend is over or the credit-card bill comes in, followed shortly afterward by a reaction of "Holy crap, where did all the money go?!?"

She's not in debt (as far as she's willing to admit to us) and NROTC gives her a $250/month stipend, but she's going paycheck to paycheck with no slack for surprises or emergencies. The bane of her savings ambition is the college campus' ZipCar franchise. (I was pretty much [-]on restriction musters[/-] locked down during the first three years of my service-academy days so I never had this "problem".) She thinks nothing of renting a ZipCar for running errands out in Houston... followed by a little shopping... and maybe a little dining... and maybe meeting her friends later...

Now that she's on break and has some time to reflect she's beginning to realize that convenience comes at a cost, and the cost of having her own campus car rusting in the dorm's parking lot is pretty darn high. She's finally accepting that she really doesn't need to own (or rent) a car in Houston, and if she gets overseas duty when she's commissioned then there's no sense in buying a beater to get around town (and pay all the ownership expenses) just to have to unload it again after graduation.

When she goes back, we'll see how she does with her free student pass on the local rail/bus lines.

This money/lifestyle coaching gig ain't easy.

Otherwise she's been a pleasure to have around. There's nothing like dorm life to make your progeny a bit more appreciative of home's little luxuries. South shore still has some swell left over from the weekend, so I think we'll do a little more surfing today followed by taekwondo tonight.

In between I'll finish plowing through the last 100 pages of Sorkin's "Too Big To Fail". (Between him and Michael Lewis I've had about enough of the history of the credit crunch.) When you read about the lifestyles of Wall Street execs, it's all too easy to understand why there's been a populist backlash. Even so I had no idea about company cars, drivers, Manhattan traffic, constant business travel, Washington-NYC shuttles, automated phone logs, and public website calendars. What a horrible infrastructure for a life.

Went with DW to visit her favourite mare. In the evening we attended the lighting up of the very modest community Christmas decoration: it pales to really nothing when one sees your decorations:blush:. Then again, we don´t have neither the tradition nor the means.....:)

For those who might be interested, the lights read "Bo Nadal", Galician for Merry Christmas.:cool:

Attachments

• chus y Lady1.jpg
    chus y Lady1.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 3
  • acendido1.jpg
    acendido1.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 4
Today was housecleaner day. :D

I played Santa with a twist. The lady who does my house once a month has 2 boys, ages 10 and 6. I made up a card with cash (her holiday bonus) inside and wrote "Do Not Open Until Christmas" on the envelope.
I asked my cleaner to open it on Christmas Day, telling the boys it is from me and Mr Boston.
I asked her to tell the boys they have to split the cash equally, or they can get something bigger that they can both share. She will take them to a store to catch the "after Christmas" sales, armed with a calculator. She will let them do the math themselves, with her help on the calculator for sales tax.
If they want to set some aside for a food treat, and use the rest for
toy(s), no problem. She agreed she will be sure to let them decide.

Little tycoons and negotiators in training! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom