what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spouse left for a Mainland trip just over a week ago (a non-profit she volunteers with) and it suddenly got kinda busy around here.

Our formerly aloof pet bunny got lonely too, and has taken to positioning himself right next to my feet by the computer desk. If I don't reach down to pet him often enough then he puts his [-]centipede[/-] whiskers on my bare foot to remind me of his presence. So my keyboard production is down at least 50%, and my heart rate spikes unpredictably, but the good news is that I'm taking lots of ergonomic breaks.

The taekwondo black belt ceremony went well. I did conservative board breaks but I put a lot of energy into them. Apparently some of our dojang's teenagers & parents had never before seen me mutate from friendly ol' surf geezer into steely-eyed-killer-of-the-deep intensity, and they were a little freaked at how far I can fling a splinter.

The brick-breaking got a little competitive. The physical fact is that it takes no more effort to break five bricks than to break one (it's an inelastic collision) as long as you're on target. But five makes a heckuva lot more noise and mess. That was fun.

I have to serve two years as a 2nd dan before I can test for 3rd dan. I don't need to chase yet another promotion, and I'm not sure I care to put myself through that crucible again. But I bet I could break eight bricks. Apparently I need to do some more thinking to clarify my priorities.

I'm picking spouse up at the airport in just four hours! But her next trip leaves this Saturday for another week with another non-profit.

Gaah! What does it MEAN?
In the dream, I was standing watch at the Electric Plant Control Panel. For some reason the panel was in the wrong place, so I had my back to everyone else in the room. There was some sort of evolution in progress, and I thought to myself, "I'd better get ready." Then I reached up and opened both AC breakers on the motor-generator sets. It immediately occurs to me that I shouldn't have done that.
OK, that was weird. Really weird. Manifestation of free-floating anxiety from three decades ago? Too much espresso yesterday? Bad cheese? Damifino...
It means that you're disqualified and you're the guest of honor at the incident critique. Please provide your written statement to the RCA before you go back aft to resume your port & stbd requalification program.

Oh, BTW, you're disqualified SEO & SRO too! And you have port & stbd shutdown U/I duty when we're back inport!!

Either that or you just had a bad flashback. But since it's impossible to tell whether or not a submariner is "hypervigilant", then it must not be PTSD...

Last edited by a moderator:
M Paquette.....just read your quoted post. Sounds like you were once a Navy Nuke:confused: Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kathy. One of my titles is VPNNM (VeryProudNavyNukeMom). My one and only child is an ET Nuke. I am retired Navy myself. Thanks for your service. :)

Went for a bike ride and stopped off at Audrey's house. Nice place and I got a tasty oatmeal cookie to put a black mark on my low carb plan. She has a great butterfly garden, though nipped by a recent cold snap. Now I can visualize her sitting in her comfy chair while she posts here.

Now I am back to my motorhome. I feel kind of "off" today, maybe from biking in the wind and the sun. So, I think I am confining myself to quarters.

M Paquette.....just read your quoted post. Sounds like you were once a Navy Nuke:confused: Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Kathy. One of my titles is VPNNM (VeryProudNavyNukeMom). My one and only child is an ET Nuke. I am retired Navy myself. Thanks for your service. :)

There's a whole bunch of Recovering Nukes here. We're thrifty LBYM types who will never need to buy a night light!

"Hi, we're Gumby and Nords, and we're also recovering nukaholics"...

So, Infoseeker, what was it like when your only progeny informed you that they'd decided to join the submarine service? Any other surprises or advice? I have a personal reason for asking that question.

Plenty of Navy non-nukes here as well!
Why, I'm surprised that PERS 42 hasn't asked for your math and science academic profile codes yet.

Surely they'd tell you if they were reviewing that data, right?

Nords, here's how it went down: He was just about finished with his first year in college (engineering), doing well academicly but I could sense his heart was not in to it. He was restlesss. I was in the kitchen that dark and stormy night 4 years ago when he said "Mom, I have to talk to you". My mind raced at the possible topic to be: he totaled his car, or he and his girlfriend were pregnant. We sat down at the kitchen table and he very calmly announced "Mom, I'm going to join the Navy." He was prepared with all the pros and even had a shiney full color brochure from the recruiter showing the pipeline of the Navy Nukes education/career path. I was calm but immediately started in on the "con" list. He listened and replied "Mom, I dont need your permission, I just want your support." He was right on that even though it was not the life path I had envisioned for him. We in fact had $40K saved for he rest of his college tuition that he respectfully declined. It did not take long for me to realize I needed tto be on his side, his choice, his path. I give him advice only when he asks. I enourage his plan to return to finish college when he gets out. He still has his college fund nest egg (529 plan)but wont need it now unless he chooses to work on a masters degree. He does not know, but it will sit and grow for his future children.
Yes, I am a VPNNM

Nords, here's how it went down: He was just about finished with his first year in college (engineering), doing well academicly but I could sense his heart was not in to it. He was restlesss.
Thanks. We'd usually see them a few years down the road where they were eager to get back in to college.

Between tuition assistance (on active duty) and the GI Bill he may not need any of that 529... even for his graduate degree.

Why, I'm surprised that PERS 42 hasn't asked for your math and science academic profile codes yet.

Surely they'd tell you if they were reviewing that data, right?

"Greetings.

You are hereby ordered to Active Duty..."

This is NOT what I want to do today. Fortunately (?), I think I'm too old for anything less than Double-Secret Reactivation. :whistle:

"Greetings.
You are hereby ordered to Active Duty..."
This is NOT what I want to do today. Fortunately (?), I think I'm too old for anything less than Double-Secret Reactivation. :whistle:
By the time they got around to recalling us, world conditions would be so bad that we'd be begging for the "opportunity"...

By the time they got around to recalling us, world conditions would be so bad that we'd be begging for the "opportunity"...

"Hey, Nords! I THINK I've got the right fuses. Can you read these labels?"
waldorf+and+statler.jpg

Alan, it's not that we're muppets...

I got my teeth cleaned today. :D Then I went to Chinese buffet today with former co-w*rkers. I've been absent a lot and got "voted out" of the group. :LOL:
I am enjoying a nice warm temperature of 39F :cool: and watching the damned snow melt :clap:. My driveway is like a skating rink, so I put some MagicSalt (rock salt and sand mixture) down so we don't fall down and break our keisters. :(

Hmm, let's see, went ice skating, found a new way back from the rink -eliminating about 6 traffic lights - stopped for Goodwill diving, then coffee. Got the paper, read some of it, nearly fell asleep int coffee shop's leather recliner. Moseyed on home. Found garage was colder then outside which was 56F.

DW got back about then from her full body massage which was courtesy of yours truly.

I took a nap, woke up about 1/2 hour ago, made some tea. Scanned this board, noted some travails about other's jealousy of someone's retirement, and some Nukes having flashbacks and maybe recalls.

Just another rough day in ER.

Went for a quick 10-mile ride to test out some modifications I made on my bike. I thought I could fit it in between showers, but I failed. 40 degrees in pouring rain and wind, and it was the coldest I've ever been on a bike.

This morning at 5:30 we had a rare flash of lightning. I was in bed and thought I was hallucinating until I heard the thunder.

Here's the rainbow that Lena captured this morning:

Attachments

• Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6
Ran errands including the Farmers' Market, mailed off forms to close out Mother's account (after 8 years); started taxes; did laundry.

A lovely day at the dentist. My last visit was 30 months ago so I think I spread out the interval as far as it can go. A set of bite wings, a few minutes of scraping, a few minutes of polishing, lots of talk story, and outta there in 45 minutes. $165-- a bargain for no dental insurance.

I heard today from the owner of Impact Publications, publisher of "The Military Guide":
We're finishing [typesetting] the book this week -- will email it to you by Friday for your input.
Right now we're planning to go press in mid-March with both the book and the pocket guide. They should be off press by mid-April. However, they will not get into bookstores until August. In the meantime, we'll be aggressively marketing it on military bases. It also should be in the Amazon system by May. Here's a link to our new military catalog, which we just mailed earlier this week:
http://www.impactpublications.com/eproducts/catalogs/mil_ult_trans_1-2011.pdf
The books are featured on pages 2 and 5. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to get an initial response, which should tell us about the level of interest with our military audience.
This is encouraging because I was concerned that when the galley copies were ready then I'd be re-mailing a pallet of books from my garage. However if I get a typeset ready-to-print version of the book in e-mail then it'll greatly simplify getting the "galley copies" out to you contributors for your proofreading!

I'll keep you posted.

Went for a quick 10-mile ride to test out some modifications I made on my bike. I thought I could fit it in between showers, but I failed. 40 degrees in pouring rain and wind, and it was the coldest I've ever been on a bike.

This morning at 5:30 we had a rare flash of lightning. I was in bed and thought I was hallucinating until I heard the thunder.

Here's the rainbow that Lena captured this morning:

Weather has been awful here in Silicon Valley as well. It's so depressing seeing the gray skies and listening to the never ending sound of rain.

Hmm might have to book a flight to Hawaii as the thought of sunshine always makes me feel better.

DW and I took walked our dog for about 3 miles. I read a book and watched CNBC. Also, finished shoveling the snow off of the sidewalk.

On vacation, I layed out on Lido Beach then Siesta Key beach. Siesta Key has the best beach i've ever seen. It was 78 degrees and very busy. Tuesday I went to Clearwater beach. It was a little chilly at under 70 degrees with a cool breeze but a very nice beach. Saturday i'll be going to the Atlantic side of Florida. Daytona beach will be crazy busy because of the Daytona 500 so I think i'll go further south to Cocoa Beach area. Maybe i'll go as far as Vero beach but don't want to drive any further than that.

Rib-eye with blue cheese and butter, highly recommended:

img_1038278_0_9b1d5e5d810f31a2b3e9d9102ba6646b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom