what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my Mom to see the movie " King's speech " Today . It was great . Colin Firth deserved an Oscar .

Way too much for my first official day of retirement. I went to the driving range then I cleaned out my front flower bed and worked on my boat. I had to pull the gas tank and I had to remove the seat to do that. I took out both batteries and gave them a charge. Made four trips to town (so much for saving gas). However, at 3 o'clock I decided that was quiting time and went in and puttered around the kitchen and ate by 5. I think I can get used to this.

Jm, you need to learn to pace yourself. If you keep this up you risk becoming one of those retirement 'failures' who return to work just to get a rest. :)

Last edited:
Rescued a stray kitty a few days ago. She was the cutest and friendliest little thing, but very skinny and mangy and obviously desperate for a home. I didn't want full-time ownership of a cat, but couldn't ignore this little creature. She was wheezing and drooling, and my fear was that she had FIV or FeLV.

Took her to the SPCA yesterday and she tested negative for both FIV and FeLV. She was running a slight fever, so the vet gave her a shot of antibiotic. She gave me the cold shoulder the rest of the day but has now come around and is slowly on the mend.

I'm so happy that she's going to be happy and healthy. Now to decide whether to hang on to her or look for a good owner. In the meantime, she's doing a lot of sleeping and eating and is just the happiest little clam around :)

My usual Tuesday's Ju-jutsu workout, then off to the diner to refuel.
Wasted time around the house, went for my afternoon coffee.
Soaked up the afternoon sun.

After dinner checked out some good quality figure skating on youtube.

Attached is a sample: My funny Valentine.

You may need to click to play it on Youtube.

YouTube -

Tomorrow morning off to skate. Heh, in another 29 years I might get good enough.

Played golf today. Amazing how green the course is already. You would think it's April 1, not March 1. And so many trees are coming out. I love this time of year, when Spring is coming in. Suppose to be around 70 and sunny all week.:cool:

I'm so happy that she's going to be happy and healthy. Now to decide whether to hang on to her or look for a good owner. In the meantime, she's doing a lot of sleeping and eating and is just the happiest little clam around :)
What a wonderful story....good for you! :smitten:

Now, if you decide to keep her, you could name her 'Clamentine'......:D

Now, if you decide to keep her, you could name her 'Clamentine'......:D

Clamentine - I love it! I've been wondering what to call her.

Every time I think about looking for a new owner for her, she looks at me with these eyes and completely disarms me:

132880155.jpg

Got "the call" that my brother and I have been dreading.

My father (77 years old last month) had emergency surgery to repair a hole in his duodenum. It started when he awoke 4 AM Sunday in pain and decided to drive himself to the hospital. A neighbor looked out his window to the apartment's parking lot and saw Dad staggering to his SUV in his pajamas and hustled down to give him a ride. Dad was in surgery a few minutes after they arrived at the ER and is recovering. He has a feeding tube down his nose and a bunch of plumbing around his midsection but so far no complications. He sounded groggy on the phone but in typical "Iron Man" fashion said that his morale was high and he was ready to bust out of there.

I offered the floor nurse the medical history that they hadn't been able to get from him yet. They must've seen something in his blood tests because they had a number of pointed questions that make me think we're all in for more unpleasant news later this week. So I shared my concern with the nurse about his symptoms of vascular dementia that we'd observed over a year ago. The "good" news is that this time he doesn't have any choice about whether or not to be evaluated by a doctor.

My brother and I saw the warning signs over a year ago and have picked out a couple geriatric care coordinators and a couple care facilities. If he's still considered capable of independent living then a local Hawaii company can also help us wire up his apartment for home care (iHealthHome System) along with grocery delivery, a cleaning service, and perhaps a visiting aide or nurse. I guess I'm also going to get a heckuva lesson on Medicare & LTC insurance procedures.

I'm flying to the Mainland on the Wednesday redeye, I'll see Dad in the hospital after lunch on Thursday, and then we'll start all of the discussions.

The biopsy report is supposed to come back Wednesday. This Friday or next Monday they'll be ready to turn him over to a rehab facility to finish his recovery. Hopefully by the time the surgery scar is healed and the feeding tube is out we'll have arrived at an understanding of his next step.

Dad was widowed 25 years ago and he's pretty much kept to himself over the years. My brother and I visited for a couple days in late 2009 (when we observed the dementia symptoms) and we've stayed in touch with letters & phone calls, but we've had only a couple handwritten notes from him since then. I have no idea what I'm walking into at the hospital or his apartment.

I think I'll be able to keep the blog going on schedule (I find the writing process is very therapeutic) but I won't be on this board much. I've made plane reservations for two weeks but I really have no clue how long I'll be staying with him.

Nords - I'm very sorry to hear of your father's condition and wish you strength and good wishes to deal with the situation. There is a lot to think about at times like these.

Both my parents suffered from vascular dementia and although my father was worse initially, it was my mother who went downhill more swiftly and finally succumbed a couple of years before my father. The interesting thing was that Dad was taking an aspirin every day as well as statins for his cholesterol. My mother wasn't taking those sort of medications. Both aspirin and statins are apparently known for helping to slow down the onset of vascular dementia, I am told. Although we'll never know for sure, it does seem possible that these 2 drugs helped Dad somewhat.

Once again, all the best and though caring for parents can be very trying, from what I know about you on this board, I am sure you are very well-equipped to make the decisions that are best for your Dad.

Every time I think about looking for a new owner for her, she looks at me with these eyes and completely disarms me:

Oh, she sure is a beauty. She's gotten you - hook, line, and sinker!

Nords, I'm so sorry to hear about your father. These are such difficult times - but you have done a good job preparing for this time. Will be thinking about you!

I spent the last few days at Indian Springs Resort & Spa (HOME » Indian Springs Resort & Spa). My DW and I go up here every year for 2 days around my birthday. This was a 2-fer: my birthday on Sunday and my first official day of retirement on Tuesday. Lot's of good restaurants to choose from. Went to Ad Hoc in Yountville. Weather was great for a drive into the northern reaches of the wine country. This is a great time of year to avoid the tourists. The hot springs pool was 100 F.

Attachments

• Indian-Springs-1.jpg
    Indian-Springs-1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Indian-Springs-3.jpg
    Indian-Springs-3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2
  • Indian-Springs-4.jpg
    Indian-Springs-4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Indian-Springs-2.jpg
    Indian-Springs-2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 4
Nords, I am so sorry to hear your news. I can relate since I'm in the middle of dealing with my parent's situation. Please keep us updated.

I just got back from a trip to MA. We "threaded the needle" on picking our driving days between storm systems. We had dry roads in both directions. That US Power Squadron boating weather course I took (years ago) really paid off, as well as a little help from our friends at NOAA. :D

I picked up the 2 dogs from doggie camp (kennel). Two very happy 4 legged campers are stretched out on their beds in the living room. I am teaching old dogs new tricks. :LOL:
I relocated their beds from the master bedroom to the living room. I am using the same verbal command I use at nighttime to get them to lie on their beds instead of anywhere they want. So far so good. Less dog hair on the area rug is my objective.

Getting settled in, unpacking...and realizing I really should do my final tax return review in real time. :(
Better get some cheese and crackers set up to go with my whine. :cool:

Nords, sorry about your dad. Hopefully he will pull through OK. Social Services can be very helpful with sorting out the ins/outs of insurance and help with the difficult process of placement, if necessary. He will meet the 72 hour hospitalization for Medicare so his Rehab stay will be covered. You are way ahead of most people in this very common scenario having already planned ahead. Good Luck.

DD

Nords , Sorry about your Dad . It is never easy to deal with elderly parents especially at a distance .

I'm New Here

I've been early-retired a year, and nosy questions from the non-retired brought me to this board. So what did I do today? Well, my day started yesterday at about 8 PM when I started recording a song verse. I was lost in that until 4AM this morning, when I went to bed. Got up at 11AM and had a homemade egg mcmuffin. Checked an item I'm selling on eBay. Brought in the trash can and talked to my bird for 15 minutes. Answered some nosy questions from my neighbor. Took pictures of bird and cat (they play together). Read the news. Cleaned my shower. Wrote a birthday card to daughter. I think that's a full day's work.

Attachments

• friends.jpg
    friends.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 6
Great cat pictures.

Today started with a power outage due to a loud windstorm overnight. Drive around to see if it had yielded any free firewood, but the answer was no.

Hooked the piano to the car via an inverter, and got my practicing done. Power back at noon, and I spent the entire afternoon cutting up the wood from a fence that my neighbor had removed. Wow, what a dirty, dangerous, red-necky job, but it's done now, and I think we have enough wood for the season.

(Wood on the right is for next year.)

Fencewood.jpg

Changed the oil and filter in the Camry @35,978 miles. Need 4 new tires as I am still running on the original rubber. Not bad.

Got a call from my dermatologist. Seems that I have another basal cell carcinoma, this one behind my left ear. Will have to get it cut out soon. It will be skin cancer surgery #20 if my records are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom