what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got two teeth pulled and get to live on ice cream for the next couple of days. Truly, I have arrived.

I went to my doctor's appointment this morning.

Once again he confirmed that I am still alive. Who woulda thunk it? :blink:

I am leaving work early to day to meet the delivery guys. DW and I were wandering around a furniture store last weekend when we came upon "the kitchen table from heaven". Made of solid birch, two tone stain, NINE chairs, all wood, pedestal table. We are replacing a 30+ year old laminate top that is shot. We have been looking for 5 years.

Orginal retail was $4200. Manager's special was $1900. I talked to manager and told her I only needed 6 chairs, so what's it worth for me to take the other 3 off her hands? We dicker a little and I get it for $1600, including some 5-year warranty against scratching and gouging and stuff as a throw-in, plus I got free delivery out of the deal. I will post a pic when it gets set up. I tell you, the US craftsman still make some nice furniture..........:)

DW gave me the rarely-used puppy dog eyes look, and that was that..........:)

I am leaving work early to day to meet the delivery guys. DW and I were wandering around a furniture store last weekend when we came upon "the kitchen table from heaven". Made of solid birch, two tone stain, NINE chairs, all wood, pedestal table. We are replacing a 30+ year old laminate top that is shot. We have been looking for 5 years.

Orginal retail was $4200. Manager's special was $1900. I talked to manager and told her I only needed 6 chairs, so what's it worth for me to take the other 3 off her hands? We dicker a little and I get it for $1600, including some 5-year warranty against scratching and gouging and stuff as a throw-in, plus I got free delivery out of the deal. I will post a pic when it gets set up. I tell you, the US craftsman still make some nice furniture..........:)

DW gave me the rarely-used puppy dog eyes look, and that was that..........:)

Wonderful day! It isn't super when you delay gratification until the perfect 'thing' comes your way...the table sounds beautiful.

I remembered why I don't really care for ice cream in anything but really small, infrequent quantities. I feel like a rabbit just nibbling with my front teeth on anything more solid, hopefully everything'll be more normal within the next week or less.

There isn't much new I can learn with 3D modeling in Google's Sketchup, so I started on some video tutorials for Blender. I'm really excited to see what all I can do with that.

Tonight before bed I'm relaxing and watching some Robotech, because 80s cartoons are awesome.

Yesterday:
Went grocery shopping (my least favorite activity), took car in for oil change and some warranty work, had lunch and a game of cards with some friends, went to Far Point electronics for some radio parts and visit with friends, took car home and walked to bar for corned beef and cabbage and a Guinness or three, wandered home and went to bed.

DW went for a "girl's day" visit with her sister and seven other ladies. The weather was nice so I went for a long motorcycle ride out to Berkeley Springs, WV and Winchester, VA, scraping the floorboards on some of the hairpin turns. I can think of worse ways to spend a day!

Found a Black & Decker Workmate200 collapsible workbench on Craigslist. I've had the 300 model for quite a while but it's [-]big, heavy, & awkward[/-] needed some repairs that would require cutting/drilling/routing a new piece of plywood. Not impossible, just one of those chores that never gets done. Oh, and I'd need to find a router, too.

The seller dropped the price to $55 and threw in a "routermate" attachment. Both of them have been sitting in their boxes since he bought them at least a decade ago... another failed woodworker wannabe.

Of course now I'm that much closer to repairing my old Workmate and selling one of them on Craigslist for $30 or so. I haven't seen one in the stores for years but they're handy for setting up a temporary workbench to clamp a project.

Spouse got home a few minutes after I did. She'd been helping out at an evening open house honoring WWII vets with food & drink. I was ready to show off my acquisition when she happily brought out an entire leftover Costco double-stacked platter of those sliced turkey-sandwich wraps. We could never finish that much food before it spoiled, so we shared half with our neighbor.

Then we sat in the garage, munching on turkey wraps and contemplating our latest of many Craigslist acquisitions, and wondered how in the world we'd ever manage to spend $300K/year...

Picked DW's car up from the shop today. A few days ago I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine and it didn't sound right so I took it into the dealership since it's still under warranty for a few more months. Good thing too since they replaced the lifters and cylinder head. Would have been $4k outside of warranty!!! :D

We took my faithful 92 Honda Accord for tire rotation and to check an odd sound (frequency change of a continuous humming sound) coming from the right front wheel at speeds greater than 50 mph. My bet was a wheel bearing starting to go, and Mr B bet on the tires just needed rotating.
Guess who was right on target? :whistle:
BOTH of us. The right front wheel bearing is just starting to show wear at 142K miles. We were quoted $347 to fix only 1 front wheel bearing. :LOL: I told the guy I didn't have my tax refund yet, so it would have to wait.
Not a fib.

Now anybody knows anything about cars knows that wheel bearings are a matched pair, and if one is going, the other is not far behind it. I called our friend the mechanic, who will get the car in next week to replace BOTH wheel bearings all in one shot. He and I chuckled at the concept of replacing only one and couldn't believe the price quoted for 1 replacement.

Jail broke my iphone. Unlocked my iphone. Popped in a T-mobile prepaid pay-as-you go sim. Shut down all data push. Now I search for starbucks, corner bakery, etc. for free wifi spots to check email. Net $ saving going from At&t: $79/month. Work reimbursed me for it until this year, but I waited until the contract was up to cancel without a fee.

Got my results today from blood work done yesterday. All the bad numbers are down and my thyroid has leveled off. My doctor is elated and so am I. After today, DH will have another week of RT under his belt (no pun intended) and still has no serious/painful side effects.

It's 84 degrees and sunny...I took advantage of that and got some sun on my toes.

Today I've been able to look at the dandelions and see the delicate flower...not the weed. :)

Went for a hike. Put some danish oil on my latest woodworking project. Did yardwork for the first time in 2011 and almost poked my eye out with a stick. Its a little sore and blurry, but it's still better than a day at work.

Today I've been able to look at the dandelions and see the delicate flower...not the weed. :)
Great news for you and your DH!

Went for a hike. Put some danish oil on my latest woodworking project. Did yardwork for the first time in 2011 and almost poked my eye out with a stick. Its a little sore and blurry, but it's still better than a day at work.
Ooooooo...take good care of that eye....
sCh_pirate.gif

Great news for you and your DH!
Thank you Ronstar...:flowers:

Woke up with the cat on the bed; did laundry; daffodils are blooming; made soup.

Got my results today from blood work done yesterday. All the bad numbers are down and my thyroid has leveled off. My doctor is elated and so am I. After today, DH will have another week of RT under his belt (no pun intended) and still has no serious/painful side effects.

It's 84 degrees and sunny...I took advantage of that and got some sun on my toes.

Awesome day!!! :flowers:

Took a day of vacation and went clothes shopping. Was excited about some deals I got only to end up spending more because of it. I'm now watching the Harry Potter marathon this weekend. Oh yeah, I also cleaned up the mugwort in the garden that was leftover from the fall as well as raked a thick layer of cinders off the lawn that the snowplow threw there the past few months.

Today's featured movie is "CB&C...The Sequel"

St Patrick's Day is being celebrated [-]again and again[/-] 2 days later with a corned beef and cabbage dinner at the local Legion. I'll pass the cabbage to Mr B this time. :whistle: Once in a week is plenty for my intestines. :LOL:

It's a beautiful sunny day, 42F, and the forecast for tonight is clear skies for the "Supermoon". I better practice my howling. :blush:

I just did some "divot" repair in my front yard. The snowplow guy kept his plow blade up a little bit at my request, but sometimes the plow will bounce down and scrape up some turf. It was fun playing with mud and grass with my bare hands. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom