what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a robin today. He may be a bit early as the ground is covered with snow.

Spouse and I are about halfway through the colds from hell. Who the heck knows where it came from-- taekwondo tournament, high-school parent's meetings, volunteer work, hanging out with other retirees. This virus sailed right past our flu shots to have its way with us. Our kid hasn't even sniffled yet.

With the right antihistamines & decongestants it's possible to squeeze three naps into the day and still get a full night's sleep. Or at least as full a night as we can get between near-suffocation episodes.

Spent most of the day [-]reading trashy Tess Gerritsen novels, staring vacantly at the view, playing Windows Solitaire[/-] answering refinancing e-mails & phone calls. But after 34 days it looks like we're finally closing tomorrow.

I was sick as a dog. I was hoping to work from home, but I ached just sitting on my sofa watching mindless TV shows on Hulu, so I took the day off. Contemplating taking tomorrow off as well. There is no need to turn a 4-day cold into a 4-week cold. I had one of those 4-week colds back in college when my roommate insisted on sleeping with the windows open.

Donated blood. Am near '20 gallon' mark.

Had dh2b underfoot :LOL: all day.
Watched goldfinches and some medium size black birds with yellow beaks go berserk on my feeder and suet block. The scene involving the black birds swooping in, landing and perching on the railing of the lower deck was very Hitchcock. :eek:
Went to Aldi's and actually saw fruit and veggies in excellent condition. Bought some very serious jumbo shrimp at Aldi's for our "Red Lobster at Home" dinner planned for Feb 14. I'm using the $75 we would easily spend there and doing a magnificent seafood feast here for a heckuva lot less.
Doublechecked WallyWorld for seafood prices. Lobster tails (frozen) were priced at $33 per lb. Those boxes are still sitting there in the frozen food section.

Took my hour walk to the vet's today to pick up Fluffy's special diet for scrubbing her teeth. Imagine, they give prescriptions for that, you can't just pick it up at the regular over-priced pet shop. Noticed about a mile of vacant shops, even the florist is gone, a week before Valentine's Day; but wait, he has another location still open. Motels had vacancies, $50.00.

Last edited:
Went to the 3 Rite Aids around my house and used this coupon to stock up on personal hygiene stuff:

http://content.riteaid.com/coupon/customer_appreciation_scr.pdf

Some of the areas I have not drive around since the snow started in October. Amazing to see the houses for sale. Something I never thought I would see, a self storage place went out of business.

This morning had a spin class at 9am. Tomorrow Church and cooking my dinners for the week.

Took the dog on our 4 mile hike/swimming trip today. Beautiful day. Seventy degrees and wore shorts. Lot's of people riding horses today too. Fortunately they ride on a different trail than the one we walk. Too much poop to sidestep. :cool:

A day at the track

I spent today running a series of races at my "semi retirement" small business, a slot car raceway. I have gone back to the 60's & am doing something I wanted to do in 1965, when I got out of the Navy. Fortunately, I did not have the money to do it then. I am not getting rich, but it does supplement my retirement income, & I'm having fun & meeting some great people.

I spent today running a series of races at my "semi retirement" small business, a slot car raceway. I have gone back to the 60's & am doing something I wanted to do in 1965, when I got out of the Navy. Fortunately, I did not have the money to do it then. I am not getting rich, but it does supplement my retirement income, & I'm having fun & meeting some great people.

I used to take my sons to a place like yours when they were growing up. Wonderful way to spend a day.

Ha

I went to a Happy Hour promoted by my Alumni Club. This is part of a 24 hour thing where alums all around the world meet at bars, it's called Feb Club.

Last year the crowd was much bigger, but they were just as hearty tonight.

I keep thinking someone from my era will come, but they are mostly quite young-like graduates from the last few years.

I spent most of my time tonight talking to a super nice guy from class of '07. It was totally weird- not only had he gone to my college, but he also had gone to my high school, and grew up only a few blocks from where I live. Only difference was he was 40 years later!

This might not seem remarkable, but the university is not a local school.

He is an EE, and we spent some time talking aboiut Nassim Taleb, Professor Shiller, etc. He told me that his Dad who is a physician and still working at age 75 (yes, he was an older father) lost 40% last year in his professionally managed portfolio. I asked if he had sold any. His answer was "No, that would be irrational." :)

ha

Enjoyed some brilliant sunshine and yet even more snow melting...bye bye :greetings10: to the feet of cursed white stuff.
Made a command decision to have leftovers for dinner. :LOL:
Supposed to w*rk on updating dh2b's resume, but I'm blowing it off til tomorrow. :whistle:
Still trying to decide if I want to read or play puzzle games on my Nintendo DS. I am enjoying the excruciating mental w*rkout ;) of Gem Slide and a color square matching game called Mahki. I'm almost ready to go to the "Hard" level on Mahki. :cool:

Amazon.com: Touchmaster: Video Games

Spring is coming.
Birds are singing and some daffodils are up.
Most of the snow is gone except where there were large heaps.
Time to think about the garden.

Plan today is to get some lawn fertilizer and spread that around, it's supposed to maybe rain later in the week and that'll soak it in for spring.

Drive the pickup truck up to a motorcycle shop in Hagerstown and see what riding gear they have. The local one here doesn't have much. Too cold to take the bike now though, so I'll just continue on after getting the fertilizer.

Plan today is to get some lawn fertilizer and spread that around, it's supposed to maybe rain later in the week and that'll soak it in for spring.

You want your grass to grow?:eek: I actually cranked up the old mower just last week. Ran over my mother's yard as the weeds were ready to be mowed. Darn warm weather.

Yesterday I played golf. Last night I met some old buddies for a couple of beers. Pretty good time had by all.:)

-Woke up at 7.10 this morning and look ahead for a busy day
-Will travel to LA a conference tomorrow so everything must be finished today
-Having a strong coffee at 8.15
-Staff meeting at 8.30. Finished at 10.45
-Reply 22 messages but still got another 16 to go.
-Then having an disagreement with a colleague
-Run downstair to buy a birthday present to my secretary. Her 4Xth birthday
-Another meeting at 11.30 but that's tuned out to be a total waste of time
-Come finishing my e-mails
-Had a quick lunch at 12.15 but accidentally run into a long lost friend from college
-My flight ticket finally arrived when I came back. My mobile battery went dead
-Appointment to see a client at 2.30
-Another meeting at 4.45
-Headache day ahead. Fully expected to work til 8.30
-What a life eh!
Despite the dog's day, I am still very much look forward to seeing my daughter in LA (she's in UCLA) tomorrow. The last time I saw her was at my husband's funeral last August. I couldn't say how much I missed her

Got a facial.
Went to the credit union and to fashion bug. Got a lot of clothes for 40 bucks.
Gave a massage.
Had lunch.
Got a pedicure.
Gave a massage.
Home, eat dinner, and relax.

Supposed to w*rk on updating dh2b's resume, but I'm blowing it off til tomorrow. :whistle:

I did it!!! I put together a bare bones resume for dh2b. There may be some retirements coming up, so he needs to have his stuff ready in case he is a candidate for a merit promotion into a vacancy.
I spent 3 hours studying his personnel file and military retirement summary. It was very enjoyable reading about all the cool things he did in his pre-Freebird life. I got me one smart man, I do, I do.

Ok, enough of the smarmy mushy...:sick:...sorry 'bout dat.
I forget myself. :LOL:

Changed the batteries in my clock.
Declogged vacuum cleaner (border collie fuzz)
Loaded Turbo Tax (very heavy sigh)
Considered various squirrel eradication schemes

Got SBS today. Sore Butt Syndrome.

Weather was terrific - we don't get many 70 degree days in February 'round these parts.

Took the motorcycle out and rode ~200 miles on it. Went out on I-81 for a little bit, just cruising along, not much traffic, happened to look at the speedometer - 85! Yikes! Hmmmm, thought it was kind of noisy....

Decided to call it quits when I was halfway to Berkeley Springs on Rt 9, the sun in my eyes, and realized that I was getting very tired. Not a good thing on a bike. Turned around, headed back home, stopped at a grocery store to walk around and get a bottle of water.

All in all, just a nice day.

Weekly chinese buffet with friends, still w*rking but still love me anyway.
Teeth cleaning at dentist, all is well. I ran into a former cow*rker who was openly envious. He said I looked fabulous. :blush:
Right now...making a snack of homemade bread, cheese, sliced Roma tomatoes, open faced and warmed up in oven. tuna salad goes on top last.
Oops...the convection oven buzzer went off...:greetings10:

Two hours on my back in the rental home's attic, putting in more radiant foil insulation. The best part is when I'm resting my butt & shoulder blades on one truss, balancing with my feet on adjacent ones, and stapling overhead. Pull up, shift over two, straighten out the foil, staple some more, and don't fall through the ceiling drywall. We're about 80% done. The nice thing about installing foil is that the attic was noticeably cooler when we finished today's increment. Between the foil and the new solar vent fans we've dropped the temps about 20 degrees.

Minor landscaping and other tweaking to come. Our ads go online tomorrow night and the tenants move out this weekend (ahead of schedule). We might have this place rented before the end of the month...

Our kid recently finished the entire Kumon math curriculum-- all 16 levels-- by doing 20 minutes a day almost every day since spring of 1998. (The worksheets would stack up over ten feet tall.) Her center threw an awards ceremony this afternoon with a plaque presented by the head of Kumon North America. We were asked to show up this afternoon with him and the head of Kumon Hawaii, totally ambushing our kid. She's the first one in Hawaii to complete the math curriculum and the fourth nationwide. It was worth every penny of the $9955.46 total monthly payments over the last decade just to see the look on her face...

5:30 PM, dinner carbs just slammed into my brain, every muscle in my body has been stretched out by attic athletics, every water molecule has been swapped out twice, I'm overwhelmed by the ceremony. It's the perfect time to get ready for an hour of taekwondo!

Got up early to work at the court. Managed to get there without falling asleep (I'm not a morning person). Was put in a cube without a computer, so no forum...:rant: Found four auto insurance violations, the other twenty were fine. Left the court, paid the water bill, drove to tanning salon for a few rays. Came home, surfed the net, did some housework, talked to my new insurance agent and went over the paperwork he sent me by e-mail. Realized I was starving because I hadn't eaten all day, but it was too close to dinner time, so I refrained from grazing. :p

Made dinner while DH blasted me with the goings on at his job. :mad: The venting went on for about half an hour, then the wind subsided. :blink: Ate dinner, watched tv and went over an eight page separation letter his co gave him.

I'm tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom