what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the local park, camera in hand, with the sole objective of capturing the flow of water in a creek with a sufficiently long exposure (which turns out to be 5 seconds) to get that "silky" appearance to it.

Goal based time "wasting"....I love it! :LOL:

I have had a very busy and exciting week at my new j*b. Lots of travel, patient care, engaging people, learning.....always "on" but very enjoyable. Today it was time to take a breather. I spent time organizing my billing system and my application for reimbursement of moving expenses, and tidying up a few w*rk related items. I know I shouldn't do that on weekends...but there is a thunderstorm going on and I will save the outside pursuits for tomorrow! Might as well do the laundry before making dinner.......:)

Dawn patrol and evening bougainvillea pruning. The former was great. The latter... not so much.

Our papaya crop is coming in, and the excessive rain has really put it in overdrive. 30+ of them, most of them the size of two softballs together, and they'll probably all ripen at 10:16 AM next Thursday.

Attachments

• Papaya crop July 2011.JPG
    Papaya crop July 2011.JPG
    935.5 KB · Views: 11
Hey:greetings10:
It is blackberry season! Yesterday, DH picked 11 cups of fat, juicy blackberries, and we separated them into baggies - 5 cups per bag. Into the freezer they went. Later, we will have a canning party:dance: I am greedy. I want to can 50+ jars of jam this year - I'm a canning fool!

This season has been unseasonably cool and rainy. Here in No. Calif., it rained off and on 'til June. We have no peaches, but the berries, apples, pears, and olives have been especially bountiful. The tomatoes aren't even red yet.

It is weird for me. The rest of the country is sweltering, and we have been in the 70's for the past few days. But, next week we'll climb into the 80's. Normally, we are at least into the 90's or even 100's. It's as if we've traded weather.

We just got back from the NYS American Legion convention in Binghamton NY. We were treated to a fabulous parade of all NY Districts, complete with color guard, several HS bands, and a traditional fife and drum group. It was very interesting to watch the reactions of young adults who happened to be walking along the route by coincidence. Some actually stopped and watched, a few clapped, others "marched" in step with the bands, others completely ignored the parade.

Attachments

• downsized_0715011807a.jpg
    downsized_0715011807a.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9
  • downsized_0715011815.jpg
    downsized_0715011815.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 9
  • downsized_0715011801a.jpg
    downsized_0715011801a.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 9
  • downsized_0715011828.jpg
    downsized_0715011828.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
  • downsized_0715011808.jpg
    downsized_0715011808.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 10
Finally finished repurposing my grandmother's cedar chest. I originally made it for her as a high school wood shop project in 1970. She had it for 24 years until she passed away in 1994. It has since been stored in my basement. I decided to refinish it, so I manned it up a little with alder and wrought iron trim, and now it's my toy trunk.

toybox.jpg

Ronstar,
Your cedar chest is very beautiful. The wrought iron trim finishes it perfectly. It gives me ideas to finish an old writing desk of my grandfather's.

I really like the chest; what's inside, please?

Today I ran A/C for 9 hours.
Sorted through papers & started to get financial stuff arranged.

High-stress home improvement.

We're planning a familyroom renovation that will extend through a common wall to the diningroom-- the wall where our 55-gallon aquarium sits atop a stand made from half-inch MDF. So we had to move the aquarium.

It went a lot better than I expected. Spouse drained all but a couple inches of water. (We have small fish.) That gave us enough leverage to slip furniture glides under the base and move the whole stand & aquarium 15 feet across the tile to a different wall. Much to my relief, nothing cracked or dropped or splashed. We pulled out the glides, cleaned the heck out of the tank (it's been a few months since our last water change), and refilled it. Much to my disgust, when I restarted the air pump I promptly flooded it out. Luckily we had a spare.

The wall where the aquarium sat for the last decade... well, it's a good thing it's being replaced. I'm still not sure what caused the scorch marks.

We're moving furniture out of the familyroom every week, and it should be empty in a couple weeks. The draftsman is finishing the plans for the new familyroom ceiling/roof, and hopefully the construction starts next month.

We were up late last night visiting friends. The wife's brother passed a few days ago. She needed some company very badly. I gave her lots of hugs and did a lot of listening, the only things that really help in these situations. I encouraged her to tell me a few family stories, and that actually got a few laughs out of her.
I got to bed around 1 AM. I was awakened in the wee hours by a thunderclap that shook the windows :blink: and a huge downpour. I rolled over and fell back asleep, off and on. I finally motivated out of bed at 11 AM. :blush:
Mr B is very closely watching what is going on with my HK stock. There was a recent merger deal, and I may be receiving a check in the near term. My average cost basis is $21.45. :dance:
Not bad for "dumb luck" stock picking. ;)

This morning I filed the rest of what needed to be filed. The longer I have my new desk and file cabinet, the more organized things get. It's SO nice to know that I can put my fingertips on anything I might need nearly immediately, rather than having to shuffle through piles of miscellany.

Last night F.'s power went out, but mine didn't. So, we talked on the phone for a while until it came back on. Online I found a house on his street that just came on the market and is very affordable, so if I wanted I could buy it, move within walking distance of his house
:dance::smitten:
and sell my present house at my leisure. The only problem is that apparently it is in very bad condition. That part of his street flooded badly due to Katrina so I'm not sure I want to deal with the problems that may have caused. Actually, I'm sure I don't want to deal with it. I'll wait. Maybe something else will become available. Something at least as close and in better condition, that is. If not, I'm pretty happy with my present house.

What else? Not much. Just enjoying retirement and life in general. :) Today we will go to the gym, as we always do on MWF, and then have lunch and spend the afternoon and early evening together as we do every day.

This morning I filed the rest of what needed to be filed. The longer I have my new desk and file cabinet, the more organized things get. It's SO nice to know that I can put my fingertips on anything I might need nearly immediately, rather than having to shuffle through piles of miscellany.

Last night F.'s power went out, but mine didn't. So, we talked on the phone for a while until it came back on. Online I found a house on his street that just came on the market and is very affordable, so if I wanted I could buy it, move within walking distance of his house
:dance::smitten:
and sell my present house at my leisure. The only problem is that apparently it is in very bad condition. That part of his street flooded badly due to Katrina so I'm not sure I want to deal with the problems that may have caused. Actually, I'm sure I don't want to deal with it. I'll wait. Maybe something else will become available. Something at least as close and in better condition, that is. If not, I'm pretty happy with my present house.

What else? Not much. Just enjoying retirement and life in general. :) Today we will go to the gym, as we always do on MWF, and then have lunch and spend the afternoon and early evening together as we do every day.
Are you saying that every day, like 7 days/week, you guys have lunch and stay together until early evening?

Pretty impressive togetherness.

Ha

I was able to brush my teeth today! :clap: I still can't get near the boo boo area for another week, but my mouth feels clean. :D

(all this excitement might cause me to take another pain pill)

Are you saying that every day, like 7 days/week, you guys have lunch and stay together until early evening?

Pretty impressive togetherness.

Ha

Every day so far that I recall, except when doing the colonoscopy prep. And on those days, he called and we talked on the phone. Oh, and a couple of times when he didn't get a good night's sleep, he brought me home around 4 PM so that he could go nap. But basically, yes.

We never intended to get into a rut/routine after retirement, but somehow it has happened and we like it. We spend more time together than some married folks, but we also try not to smother one another. Part of our original agreement was that we would only be together when both of us wanted that.

When I post here in the afternoon and early evening, it is from his house. He has about 4 or 5 older computers set up and on a wireless network there, just for fun, so we often get online and read to one another from whatever we are accessing on the internet (and I sneak a post in now and then while we are doing that).

Last edited:
This sounds like a nice, loving way to live. Congrats to you both,

Ha

This sounds like a nice, loving way to live. Congrats to you both,

Ha

Thanks! :flowers:

We are enjoying our 12th year of unwedded bliss. We have so much in common, and have been through so much together, that we are unusually close by now. It's hard not to be happy with our arrangement, and it works for us.

Started the morning with some awful cramps in my right hip, so had to spend time on the electronic massage bed that we borrowed from friends to help my sprained back recover ( I sprained it a month ago when helping friends move out of their apartment ).

Felt way better after that, so went to the HOA clubhouse for a dip in the spa and 4 laps of the lap pool. Met some friends there, also FIRE-d guys, and we went out for lunch.

Came home, and discovered that the US team at the 5th CISM Military World Games was doing pretty dismally. The Brazilians and Chinese are wiping up the floor with the other countries. My son lost his first beach volleyball game against the Chinese team. he emailed us to say they were a head taller than him, and he is 6' 2".

had a great nap in the afternoon, a quiet dinner with DW, now relaxing before hitting the sack for an early night.

Tomorrow we will be up at 6 am California time to follow our son's second game.

Just heard from a former co-worker that the company is laying off 9% of its headcount. Very tough to hear that some close friends are in that number, and they have a ways to go before FI. :(

Spent yesterday morning shopping for a vanity and sink for a bath in the basement we're adding. Found one and have it secured in place and will install the faucet and drain today.

About 8:45pm last night, DW looked out the front door and saw a Red Fox moving along the driveway and then in to the woods. Looked to be in good shape and healthy. We stepped outside to see if we could get another look and one of the baby deers that have been here for a couple of weeks came out from under the deck, no wonder we don't see them as much lately, didn't think to look there.

Wonder if the deer and the fox were even aware of each other?

Yesterday, we passed the ultimate test of a live-in relationship - we assembled a pressed board storage cabinet without arguing. If anyone has ever tried following those stupid instructions, you'll understand what I mean. :LOL:
Today, I got my lazy keister up at 830 AM. :dance:
So far, I cleaned up the kitchen sink, defrosted some chicken thighs for the crockpot, and had coffee. Mr B is doing some computer w*rk for the Legion right now. He will be picking up a laptop (blue screen of death) later for diagnosis of the hard drive and OS. These little side j*bs add up for the gas tank fund.
Today is going to be very hot and humid, so I think I will avail myself of the free AC at the Legion while he picks up that laptop. I set our AC units to energy saver while we are out, in true LBYM fashion.

Yesterday, we passed the ultimate test of a live-in relationship - we assembled a pressed board storage cabinet without arguing.
I thought the ultimate test is teaching the SO to drive a stick shift.

-------------------

I made flaxseed meal bread (wow, it's good!), then we cleaned the house, and went on a bike ride followed by putting my toes in the ocean. We went down to the water, and Lena said "Oh, let me get a photo of this." She went back to the car, not knowing that I'd hidden the camera. I tried to get her attention to mime that it was under the seat, and then thought of a better solution: I called her on the cell phone and told her where it was.

img_1090354_0_b2d5278ec58b66d0108fb7eb094993a1.jpg

img_1090354_1_317d835acf45171046b2d02645ebbb04.jpg

When we got home I had a mini cream cheese and olive sandwich. It's one of my favorites -- I wish I'd come across the flaxseed recipe sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom