what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al, I am one of those chickens (cluck cluck!) who would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane... :D

Slept late, went to the gym, had lunch, keeping an eye on the drizzle (at present) that is supposed to end up giving us a foot or two of rain by Sunday night. But so far, just another great day of retirement. :dance:

Starting my 6th month of retirement, and just loving it. R & R, and more R & R after that! And even more R & R tomorrow, and.....:LOL:

Each morning I give thanks for not needing to fight the rush hour traffic; the absence of reporting deadlines, and crisis du jour meetings with lengthy to-do lists after that. And the evening commute.

Today I had a relaxing morning coffee, checked the stock market ( down 200+ points :( ), did couple trades closing out some options positions, read email, and the news. DW went out to do some grocery shopping.

We will have a light lunch when she returns, and then it's time for a nap!
Tonight our daughter comes in from San Francisco to spend the Labor Day weekend with us, we'll probably go to the lake on Saturday.

Life is good.

Just got back home from running some errands.

On one trip I went to Kohls to buy some jeans and shoes. Fortunately, I found what I needed. Did see some cute blouses, but after trying the jeans on and one blouse, I had worked myself into a lather. ...it's so hot and trying clothes on is my least favorite thing to do. My hair was a mess. :LOL: Thankfully I had a hair band in my purse and I wrestled my hair into a pony tail.

Plumbing yesterday....shopping today.

I need a beer. :blink:

Al, I am one of those chickens (cluck cluck!) who would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane... :D

Slept late, went to the gym, had lunch, keeping an eye on the drizzle (at present) that is supposed to end up giving us a foot or two of rain by Sunday night. But so far, just another great day of retirement. :dance:

So am I, now that I am mortal. ;)

I have some spare feathers if you need some. ;) I'm in the same frame of mind as far as skydiving goes. :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

As of 5 minutes ago, my freshly painted corner is all back in order. Mr B was studying and doing homew*rk in the back room all afternoon.

We are headed to a local ethnic club to help bus tables and have a cold beer for a nice study break for him. :D

Plumbing yesterday....shopping today.

I need a beer. :blink:

Today, I went shopping for a pressure regulator valve to replace the defective unit at home. It is not available at the Home Depot or Lowes and after a internet search, found a plumbing supply near the Strip that carries it.

Plumbing tomorrow.

Jenny went skydiving (tethered to someone else) and highly recommends it:

Anyone else done this?

I made a couple of static line jumps over 30 years ago, great experience but haven't had the urge to jump again. On my second jump, the wind direction changed after I was dropped and ended up over a mile from where I should have been in the middle of a corn field. Corn was so high, I couldn't see where I was headed but could hear the loud speaker at the drop zone so just headed for the noise.

Went to an unavoidable dinner last night. Some big talkers including a citrus farming magnate who seemed very disapproving of retirement ("whaddya do all day?"). He's 65, and says it will take him eight years to extricate himself from the job since there are so many who depend on him. I suggested he take a year off to know what he's missing before it's too late.

The goodbye ritual took about an hour.

Today I split and stacked the 12th truckload of firewood, about 2.4 cords so far. I'm getting tired of it, but it's money in the bank.

I got calls from columnists at both Army & Navy Times at Military Times. The first wanted some quotes for an article on asset allocation, and the second was reviewing the book for another article about investing during a recession.

Jenny went skydiving (tethered to someone else) and highly recommends it:
Anyone else done this?
Personally, I'd feel a lot safer using a parachute...

It has now been 6 weeks into retirement and I am begining to adjust. I still need to remind myself that I don't have to go to work or do anything I don't want to do. I've never had such a thing before. I've been busy reseaching travel and joining travel clubs. I don't have a traveling companion, so maybe I can find someone later. My 1st trip will be to Kauai (9/20-9/21) because I had promised myself a ride in one of those helicopters. Yesterday, I got a smartphone. I've never had a cell phone before. I didn't want one before since I was tethered to my work phone and easily reached at home. It seems like a good idea to have one for travel. I can barely focus now after spending 2 days learning how to use it and downloading apps. I got a revocable trust done, too. Now I feel prepared to start a new life. More later.

August is incredibly slow in Ebay land so today I spent revving up for the fall which is usually very busy . I photographed , cropped and put together 30 listings while I baked a turkey breast ,cut up cantaloupes ,brewed coffee and did two loads of laundry . All that multi tasking made me feel like I was back at work .:)

Last edited:
A couple of hours ago my desktop computer suddenly decided to reboot. I suspected a momentary power fluctuation and shrugged it off. About 15 minutes later, another reboot. I checked my connections and noticed the power light on the power strip was flickering - and making a faint crackling noise.

I unplugged it and when I touched the on/off rocker switch, it fell off into my hand. Of course I had to pull my roll top desk away from the wall to get to all the wires and replace the strip with a new one. 20 minutes late the job was done and I'd worked up a sweat - not because I'd worked that hard, because the temp in the house was going up. Outside temp 102, inside temp 82 and rising.

Yep, the AC stopped working - the compressor isn't running. The unit is all of 13 months old and has performed flawlessly through this miserable heat (today is the 81st day of 100 or more beginning on April 8). Of course it would crap out in the middle of a holiday weekend...

Thankfully we have a separate AC unit in the former screened porch we converted into a playroom for the grandkids. Can't wait for DW to get home and see her reaction. We had plans for a family get-together here tomorrow. I don't think so...

How miserable, REW! Maybe your family can meet at a local restaurant tomorrow.

Sounds like the two of you will be camping out in the former screened porch, for the time being... :(

Yep, the AC stopped working - the compressor isn't running. The unit is all of 13 months old and has performed flawlessly through this miserable heat (today is the 81st day of 100 or more beginning on April 8). Of course it would crap out in the middle of a holiday weekend...

Blown compressor fuse? I keep a couple of spares around, just because the pesky things tend to fail on the hottest days. (And yes, that is actually what I'd expect. Hotter ambient temps lower the current needed to blow the fusible link.)

Blown compressor fuse? I keep a couple of spares around, just because the pesky things tend to fail on the hottest days. (And yes, that is actually what I'd expect. Hotter ambient temps lower the current needed to blow the fusible link.)

Thanks, worth a try...

I checked the two fuses located in the fuse box on the wall next to the outside unit. Both still conduct dc voltage from a battery which indicates (I think) both are still good. Are these the compressor fuse you mention or should I be looking somewhere else?

REWahoo said:
Thanks, worth a try...

I checked the two fuses located in the fuse box on the wall next to the outside unit. Both still conduct dc voltage from a battery which indicates (I think) both are still good. Are these the compressor fuse you mention or should I be looking somewhere else?

Yup, those are the ones. Sounds from your test that the fuses are good, though. My next step would be to call the HVAC guy. I know my limits...

I will bet that your unit froze up do to this incredible heat . We had it happen twice this summer after working flawlessly . We turn it off and call the ac guy . By the time he comes the unit has defrosted and working perfectly .The one thing they told me is check the filters and change them more frequently in the summer .Good Luck !

We just returned from our local comedy club . It was improv night and we laughed until it hurt.On Sunday tickets are $8.00 so a great deal. Of course there is a two drink minimum but it is still a good time .

Yesterday I split another truckload of firewood, and we went on a bike ride. But this splitting wood every day plus other exercise has caught up with me, and I really felt my age last night, plus about 15 years. So today I am going to take a day off.

img_1108531_0_5f7475f87205fbd5675e9c10450df9af.jpg

These guys went to the beach for the labor day weekend:

img_1108531_1_804eb53c66180eb98ff7af7b9ef5746a.jpg

Saturday night we attended my DH's Junior High School reunion (9th grade 1970). It was held at a lovely country club and the food was good and there was even live music which was a treat. DH and his buddies told a lot of stories about their teenage pranks and their favorite teachers. Many of these people later went to our high school but we had a very large class and I didn't know most of them so I hung around with the spouses.

DH was the only one in the group who has retired. This was the first time he's worn socks all summer.

Most interesting occupation of a classmate - Equine Dentist. How do you teach the horses to floss?

13 miles this morning, a slow training run. Just to check that I'm in reasonable shape for a half-marathon later this month. Did better than I expected, so that's a relief.
DW went out with me and did a 7 mile walk, since she's going to do a 10K walk at the same event. This will be her first organized athletic event in mumblety-some years, and I'm thrilled that she's excited about it.

I finished getting, splitting and stacking the wood that my neighbor gave me. It took two weeks and 15 loads. I'm glad to be done.

Before:

img_1108879_0_395944a3e3b512d50e8ffcc27102b7e8.jpg

After:

img_1108879_1_6cb8be338bf75434fc021fc95920d59c.jpg

img_1108879_2_74617065c29d7d17ab02a426c602e754.jpg

img_1108879_3_64723f1b08d84cbd9e5adc404b1fd99b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom