what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the day off from outdoor chores. :D

Last night, I had a reminder come up to run my annual free credit report. I went through all 3 reports today to make sure there weren't any unused credit card accounts still open out there. All is well. When I went to file the reports, I discovered that I hadn't gone the print out/review credit report exercise since 2007. Oops...:blush:

Mr B is in school tonight, so I have the castle all to myself. Maybe I'll hook up my newly fixed PS3 and play a race car game. :dance:

I had my six month check-up today. While I was at my doctor's office, DH was at a different doctor's office getting stitches removed from a small abrasion.

It's official. We're geezers.

The rain finally stopped long enough to get the front mowed. Took FIL's old tube TV to the recycling center and sent back a defective camera tripod I'd ordered. Then when the rains started again went downstairs to play with the remove flash and colored gels and the wireless remote shutter trigger for the camera.

Got some ideas for Halloween portraits with a dark blue gel and the light coming from below, bright green reptilian eyes, stark shadows behind, Photoshopped fangs, and the like. DW looked aghast at the suggestion for a card. She's too prim & proper and always wants her portraits to look like out of Vogue magazine or something. Sigh.

I got back from San Antonio on Tuesday. I spent yesterday catching up on e-mail and the blog. I'm spending today catching up on more e-mail, posts, & blogs. If I have time left over then maybe I'll unpack. Laundry? Naaaah-- maybe next week.

Among the USAA conference, the two book signings, visiting our daughter, hanging out with REWahoo! & Arif, and all the new people I met (and befriended many of them)... I might've overdone it a bit. Looking forward to some quality INTJ time this weekend.

Walt you need to find some kids to try that idea for the portraits on--women of a certain age don't want to be seen in photos with fangs. I'm just sayin'...

today I sat on my new $6.50 beach chair (on close out) with my toes sitting in the cold Atlantic waters on Cape Cod...

Well, in the past month or so we've had an earthquake and a hurricane. Today we got a tornado. Neither of us were home, but it touched down in the bay right behind our house, less than a mile away. Our huge heavy potted palm trees were tossed around, and some other stuff too. Luckily I've been lazy and procrastinating about putting stuff back out after the hurricane, so there wasn't much to be moved. I'm afraid to think what would have happened if the kayaks had still been on the deck. Neither of us was home, and we didn't know anything about it until we got home and found the mess. The dogs were freaked out, though. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/tornado-or-waterspout-seen-in-ocean-city-maryland/2011/09/15/gIQAkTJQVK_blog.html

I guess we should be expecting locusts next?

Just bought my first *real* road bike. The choice was between a Cannondale SuperSix and the Specialized Ruby.

Ended up with the Ruby...it is one sweet ride. Almost feels like there is no bike under me due to the full carbon fiber frame.

Loved it so much I paid <gasp> full retail <gasp> :LOL:

And in the process found a local bike shop owned by a very nice 60-year old man who had always dreamed of opening a bike shop. He got my purchase and will get every bike-related purchase from now on.

I spent the day going to hotels and stores and libraries to put up the posters for the Fiddlers Convention next weekend. No big deal, except this weekend is the OC Bike Fest, so I was dealing with a couple hundred thousand bikers constantly cruising and weaving up and down the road. I'm not a biker, and don't usually care one way or another about motorcycles on the road. But today they turned a simple task into a major PITA. They were out having a good time, and many of them weren't using much sense. Not that I'm sure who would have lost in a collision between a Harley and harley in diesel VW Beetle. But next year I'm going to insist the posters get printed up early enough so I can avoid the bikers.

Just bought my first *real* road bike.

Excellent! I got a new bike last month, and its a dream to ride compared to my old bike. Today I went on the REI website and ordered a bunch of winter riding clothes. I have to get myself ready for some 20-30 degree rides.

Gary (my SO) is having a three day birthday celebration. Thursday we went out for Lobster . Friday we went out to Happy Hour and today we are having a party . I made seven pounds of pulled pork yesterday . He has turned that magical age where the government sends you insurance cards .

Hi from Mt Carmel junction, Utah. Amazing trip so far. Adventures and wondrous things to report. Lots of fun pictures Watch for blog update.

Angels Landing yesterday. Whoa, scary. But we all did it.

Yesterday was a granddaughter day. Picked her up at her house about 9, went downtown on the bus and walked down the market place stairs to the Aquarium. I have a free senior pass, and she is a free "3" so that part was nice. Once inside I hardly knew the place from years ago when we took our kids. Many more touch-me, interactive kid friendly exhibits in a huge room. It was not easy keeping up with her running all over the place. Later we got into areas that were unchanged from 30 years ago, including my favorite room with the wraparound tanks and Puget Sound fauna. It was her favorite also, as it had been her Dad's and uncle's too. One difference was that I didnt fall asleep there as I always did years ago; it is easier to stay caught up on sleep now.

Afterward we hiked back up the many flights of stairs. I was glad she could do it, because carrying her might not have been very easy. I got her some fish and chips and myself steamed clams in the market. Her Dad had told me to break apart the fish so it could cool coming out of the fryer, which also gave me a chance to look for bones. She loved it, and had a sample slice of plumcrat while we headed back to the bus to get her home in time for a nap. She fell asleep on the bus, and the few blocks down the hill to her house was not easy!

I plan to do outings regularly, as in at least several times a month, though it will be harder when the rains come.

My Grandad took me all over the place when I was little. Not to kiddie attractions, of which there were fewer then, but to things that were interesting to him and he thought I would also like. One day we went down by the river to a bar/ restaurant and after lunch he and some men shot clay pigeons out over the water. He was an ER, due to the good fortune of his wife inheriting a princely sum. He knew everyone, and everything that a little boy might consider cool. One of my favorites was visiting the Army/ Navy surplus store, and getting some tank spotter or canteen belt.

I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.

Ha

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
My old HP Laserjet 4L was having paper feed problems, so I disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly. Treated all the rubber rollers with Gummi-pflege and fixed a sticky relay. Appears to be working again.

Water aerobics this morning.
In the afternoon, cooking/baking: bananas Foster quick bread, wheatberry salad, and kale chips (my newest addiction).
This evening: a free outdoors concert in a neighboring town: The Lovin' Spoonful (the real deal, not a tribute band, albeit without John Sebastian). It's amazing how many people have never heard of them----I sure listened to them a lot as a teen!

What Did We Do For Three Weeks...

okay, okay... we didn't do it today but we just returned from a three week trip: Hooked up to the RV and took a 3,000+ mile journey. Had some specific stops/events that were on our schedule but otherwise just did whatever seemed natural. Visited lots of museums, met lots of new people, saw lots of cool cars (at the museums), ate lots of good food and saw some of the country that we had not seen previously.

Nearing the end of the trip I asked DW if she was willing to extend the trip a few days - we both said yes but ultimately we stuck with our original plan to return on a particular day as we didn't want to upset the house sitter, mailman, etc. It's good to know that three weeks was not a problem and we could have gone another week easy. We're looking forward to more extended outings!

Later this year is a 3+ week trip that involves working with Habitat for Humanity. Any RVers interested in joining us in Florida in early December? Send a PM.

Ran a half marathon this morning. Fantastic weather -- just perfect. 53 degrees at the start, and 67 at the finish. I'm slow, in case that seems odd. DW did the 10K, which was her first race ever, and we both had an excellent time.

Since DH is out of town, my sleeping habits have changed. Got up at 10 am, then took a nap at noon.

Been catching up on Twilight Zone episodes and taped some decent horror flicks. I've already watched a few of those scary movies, but the most disturbing program I've seen so far is Toddlers and Tiaras. Unflippin' believable. :nonono:

Ran a half marathon this morning. Fantastic weather -- just perfect. 53 degrees at the start, and 67 at the finish. I'm slow, in case that seems odd. DW did the 10K, which was her first race ever, and we both had an excellent time.

USAF Marathon?

Donated blood (#176) and they gave me a free flu shot.

I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.
You're a sweetheart Gramps. I aspire to be able to do the same with my future grandkids.

What is a plumcrat? Googled it and it asked if I meant Plumcot, but I'm not sure as it seems that a new fruit hybrid shows up every other year or so.

My old HP Laserjet 4L was having paper feed problems, so I disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly. Treated all the rubber rollers with Gummi-pflege and fixed a sticky relay. Appears to be working again.
I had to Google Gummi-pflege. Neat stuff, might have to buy some for the wife's new used BMW. It's a BMW shop item with many applications.

That was our adventure yesterday - car shopping. Buying her a nice car was something on my to-do list, and it also allowed me to do some educating on more things financial. She did great, and other than a few "women can change their minds" moments that caused us both a little stress, the experience was awesome. She knew all the tricks beforehand, and resisted all efforts to bump her off the price she was going for.

It was fun watching her eyes widen when the salesman acted like we were just going to accept his price and go walk to the F&I guy to write a check. There was a moment of panic when she asked, "what happened to the price negotiation?", and he replied, "that part is pretty much over - we're not making hardly any money on this car at that price." I almost snickered when she told him they weren't going to make any money if she walked, and she was ready to walk over that. I was real proud of the girl.

Last edited:
I had to Google Gummi-pflege. Neat stuff, might have to buy some for the wife's new used BMW. It's a BMW shop item with many applications.

I originally got it for the rubber door/hood/trunk seals on my Z3, but it seemed to be the appropriate product for printer rollers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom