what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
An hour later I could hear more vigorous chewing but the trap wasn't sprung. I went back up on the roof and could actually hear the critter chewing, only to realize he's on the INside trying to get OUT.
A neighbor inadvertantly trapped a family of opossums inside his attic. Thinking he was keeping out roaming pests rather than a new set of tenants, he even said to himself as he sealed up the hole, "Let's see you little @$%#$%s get in my attic now!"

He and the wife came home from work that evening to find that the little @$#$%s had chewed their way out - each of them making his or her own escape hole. It was a large family of opossums - or they each chewed an extra hole for spite.

It was an expensive lesson in pest control and the associated repairs that come from failure to get it right.

possum.jpg

Last edited:
Skated, tried some new moves, fell, got up, several times. A good day at the rink.:D

We arrived in Kansas City this morning. We ate some delicious BBQ at Arthur Bryant's for lunch, then dragged our repleted selves to the Fedral Reserve Bank of Kansas City to visit their Money Museum with a glance into the vault:eek:. We strolled around the Liberty Memorial for a while (perfect weather) and we are getting ready for a nap.

Last edited:
Redistributed 47,568,000 leaves (by actual count), gave the lawn its final mowing for the year, and changed the lawn tractor over from mower deck to snow blade. Ready for winter now, so I assume that means we'll have a long, magnificent Indian Summer.

Redistributed 47,568,000 leaves (by actual count), gave the lawn its final mowing for the year, and changed the lawn tractor over from mower deck to snow blade. Ready for winter now, so I assume that means we'll have a long, magnificent Indian Summer.

Since the avg mature tree has ~200,000 leaves, you must have a LOT of trees (~238 trees). That works out to >14,000 lbs of leaves. You probably needed a couple brews after that; I know I would! In fact, I think I'd move before doing that for another year. :(

Rodent wars.

We're in day #64 of our familyroom rehab, and the demolition/rebuilding has opened all sort of interesting access to the local critters. (I never knew that cats would climb aluminum extension ladders.) One such access is a hole in the side of our 2nd story where the rooftop photovoltaic wires snake into the wall and down through the garage attic to the ground-floor inverter. When work started on the roof, I pulled the conduit fitting out of the wall to get the wires out of the way. It's been open for over a month.

A couple weeks ago I heard stealthy/slithering noises in our garage attic, so I staked it out with the usual trap. No takers. But now I knew why the cats were climbing our ladders.

Yesterday morning the roofers finally finished, so I plugged the conduit back into the hole in the wall. Today we're planning to start re-installing the PV panels.

Last night we heard no-foolin' hard-core loud crunching/chewing noises on our roof. Spouse actually got out of bed and went around the property looking for the critter. Nothing seen.

I was awakened three hours ago (12:55 AM) by more vigorous chewing noises. I thumped on the wall to scare the critter away and went back to bed. 10 minutes later work resumed. Now I'm worried that a rodent parent is trying to get back into the house to take care of the trapped babies, who I could imagine were roaming the attic chewing on the PEX water piping for hydration.

I woke up spouse to let her know I'd be on the roof. ("Mumble, grumble, mumble...") Sure enough, the flashing under the conduit-plugged hole had a small pile of wood chips on it. So I set a trap there.

An hour later I could hear more vigorous chewing but the trap wasn't sprung. I went back up on the roof and could actually hear the critter chewing, only to realize he's on the INside trying to get OUT.

I woke up spouse again to let her know I'd be in the garage attic. (Her response was inaudible or not suitable for a family forum.) I went back up into the attic and headed over toward the PV conduit. I could hear the chewing a lot more clearly. As I approached I could actually see the insulation moving around as the rodent attempted to get a better grip on the situation. Luckily before I got much closer he heard me and bolted, and I saw him run away through a stud bay.

So I set another trap. I haven't heard any chewing since. It's 4 AM now, and in a few hours I'll return to see how we did. Hopefully I'll be making a dawn transport to a secure undisclosed location for yet another catch & release.

You may ask "Geez, Nords, why not pull out the conduit for a couple hours, give Ralphie a chance to let himself out, and then plug it back in?" The reason is that I don't know how many rodents are actually in this situation, and I'm not sure if he was really trying to escape or just trying to get the word back to the rest of the tribe that the residence was ready for occupancy...

Long ago in upstate NY at age 14 I awoke at 3AM to a kitten's cry. The little dumb*** had climbed ~30 feet up the aluminum extension ladder (there because the house was being painted).

I pulled out the window and the screen and pulled in the little critter.

Today: made a large pot of soup: mainly cabbage and bratwurst.

Slept late, went to the gym, worked out hard, and then we tried a new place for lunch since one of our regular places went out of business last week. The new place is great! We split a chicken parmesan po'boy (yum!), fries, and diet Coke, and got out of there for only $8 each. Sure beats the place we tried yesterday, which ended up being twice that. :eek:

We went to a "big blow out sale" after that (that we saw advertised on Craigs List), at a used furniture place. That was fun, and the prices were low but not on the particular items of interest to us. Oh well! Maybe they will be getting in some more furniture after the sale.

Now for a restful and relaxing Friday night at home - - I have a new book to read on my Kindle and it is a little chilly today (50's-60's) so at some point it will be a good evening to curl up in a comfy blanket and read.

Since the avg mature tree has ~200,000 leaves, you must have a LOT of trees (~238 trees). That works out to >14,000 lbs of leaves. You probably needed a couple brews after that; I know I would! In fact, I think I'd move before doing that for another year. :(
Well, there is a certain margin of error to my count (plus or minus mumbly-some percent), but I would guess 238 trees is probably pretty close (nearly 2.5 acres of mostly wooded property).

Enjoying a very nice homebrew Belgian ale as I write.
:biggrin:

Last edited:
Got our truck out of the shop late today, hooked up the RV and started the trip home. Too late in the day to go very far so we stopped overnight in Hot Springs National Park (one of our favorite Fall places to camp) and will split the remaining 600 miles into two days.

Even though the trip certainly didn't go as scheduled we should arrive home on our planned return date. It will be a trip we won't ever forget.

Changed the oil and antifreeze on DW's car so that's ready for winter.

Probably will mow the grass today, perhaps one more time after that before putting the mowers away by changing the oil on those and draining the fuel then running them dry.

Put them to the back of the shed and move the snow thrower (sigh) to the front. If we're very, very lucky the snow thrower won't need to be fueled up this winter but I'm not optimistic about that given that we've already had one snowfall.

Ordered a Nikon D3100 camera kit with two lenses for DW's nephew & his wife for an early Christmas gift, this to be presented at Thanksgiving. Their camera died and they're missing photo ops with the kids ages 6 and 2. The "string" that comes with it is that they have to share the photos with DW. I'm sure they'll be happy to do so.

The framing/trim contractor is just about done with our familyroom, and he's waiting on the drywall/floor tile guys. Yesterday we finally cleaned all the wood scraps off the back lanai and moved the "to be used later" trim & baseboard moldings to the front lanai. Last night I moved the leftover siding to attic storage, although I doubt we'll really need it. Today's an easy day-- drilling photovoltaic mounting holes in the roof and painting the exterior wall of the familyroom.

No rodents in the trap last night before bedtime, and we weren't awakened at O-dark-30 by any chewing noises. Maybe I scared the little guy out of the house via some other exit. Sure. I'll check the trap again after sunrise.

Got our truck out of the shop late today, hooked up the RV and started the trip home. Too late in the day to go very far so we stopped overnight in Hot Springs National Park (one of our favorite Fall places to camp) and will split the remaining 600 miles into two days.
Even though the trip certainly didn't go as scheduled we should arrive home on our planned return date. It will be a trip we won't ever forget.
Glad that's over... except for the litigation.

Got back last night from another trip to MO. However, this trip was different as I had to say goodbye to my momma for the last time.

She was 73 years old.

Got back last night from another trip to MO. However, this trip was different as I had to say goodbye to my momma for the last time.

She was 73 years old.

Oh bbbamI, I am SOOOOOOOOOOO sorry. Losing my mother ranks up there with one of the worst things I have ever gone through. You are in my heart and thoughts today and for some time to come. I know this isn't easy. At least you can find some comfort in the fact that she is at peace now and is looking down at you, thinking what a wonderful daughter you are. <HUGS>

bbbamI, I am so sorry to hear this sad news about your beloved mother. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Take care.

My condolences to you and your family, bbbamI. A blessing sometimes comes in the form of an end to suffering.

Last edited:
Got up way early because I fell asleep by 10pm due to a busy week/new j*b stress, but woke up by 3:30am (not due to an alarm clock, just rested).

Made a return at a 24 hr Walmart, change the oil on 3 snowblowers, picked up 2 used lawn mowers off Craigslist for $30 total for next season at rental units. Tested and changed the oil on the lawn mowers, starts cold on the 1st or 2nd pull =)

Breakfast with the family....

then had a lazy day as my daughter is under the weather.... 2 naps for me today! :dance: Can't remember ever doing that not being sick.

bbbamI said:

She was 73 years old.

Sorry to read of your mother's passing. My condolences to you and your family. Take care.

Thanks y'all....

When someone dies, there is so much to do in very little time. My daddy wanted the ritual of visitation, funeral services and interment. I took care of every detail...right down to the music. Religious hymns were played at momma's funeral. I made sure things were just right for daddy. I do believe momma would have been proud of me for respecting his wishes.

However, if daddy had passed away before momma, I may have done things a bit differently. I sure would have picked a different song for her.

Elvis Presley Viva Las Vegas - YouTube

She would have thought my selection was a hoot and a half. :)

Oh, bbbamI, I'm so sorry. 73 seems too young. You know I've just gone through this. Going through the plans and taking care of the details felt good to me. I hope it did to you, too.

{{{hugs all around}}}

My concern now is my Dad. I saw him on Thursday but he's 30 miles away so I don't go everyday. I've been making a point to call him daily. Smart guy, he stopped at a watch kiosk at the mall to have them change the time on his watch for the switch to Standard Time tonight. Then he went home and changed all his clocks. Between the time change and a load of laundry, it's been a busy day for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom