what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember standing engine room watches when our submarine was transmitting HF. You could watch reactor power fluctuate significantly with the transmitter activation.

Fortunately, my power company's coal-fired plants are safe. I'm not one of the contester "big guns" in this hobby. I long ago found out I could work anywhere in the world on 100 watts or less.
It's funny: you can have a radio conversation between someone with $100,000 of radios/antennas and someone who can put their whole home-brewed station in a pocket, and they're both happy as clams when done.

:blink:

The deer herd is ready. "Bring it on, Godzilla." :bat:

Needs this:

images

Went to a woodworkers show, bought table saw blade, band saw blade, band saw fence. I'm going into the workshop until Christmas to build toy cars, beer boxes, barstools, dog water/food bowl holder, and drink coasters. Everything except for the barstools will be built from scraps of cherry hardwood flooring.

Last edited:
Yesterday we had a family celebration. I grilled bison, boar and lamb sausages in the cold rain and DW made mushrooms in madeira and quinoa risotto. We all consumed copious amounts of brewed and fermented beverages.

I haven't really started my day yet, but as soon as I finish this cup of coffee I'm going to go paint something. Again. And when I get tired of painting I can take comfort in knowing that something around here needs caulking. Still.

But no rodents in the traps this morning!

:blink:
The deer herd is ready. "Bring it on, Godzilla." :bat:
Reminds me of that cinematic (non-Disney) classic, "Bambi vs Godzilla"...

... and quinoa risotto.
If it's made from quinoa, can it still be called "risotto" or would it be "quinotto"?

I've been retired almost 5 years, and I still can't shake the feeling that there is something I should be doing. I downloaded and balanced the bank, VG, and CC info, started the Christmas video (that I was going to skip this year), worked on a photobook, and practiced, and I still feel like I'm neglecting something.

I've been retired almost 5 years, and I still can't shake the feeling that there is something I should be doing. I downloaded and balanced the bank, VG, and CC info, started the Christmas video (that I was going to skip this year), worked on a photobook, and practiced, and I still feel like I'm neglecting something.
That's sad Al. Have you thought about chopping wood for therapy? :)

I relish the luxury of doing nothing if I so choose - with absolutely no feelings of guilt.

Changed the oil and rotated the tires on my Civic. Cleaned out all the gutters and raked up the last of the leaves. Washed my garage floor. Drove the Z3 (top down, of course) for likely the last time until April. Repaired the trickle charger.

That's sad Al. Have you thought about chopping wood for therapy? :)

I relish the luxury of doing nothing if I so choose - with absolutely no feelings of guilt.

Me too REW. Wet and cold here this morning, so no golf. I do hate that I can't play, but that's about it.

Yesterday was my mom's 94th birthday. Had my nephews and SIL over to celebrate the day. My SIL normally drives me nuts, but she was actually tolerable. So all and all......a good day. Who knows how many more b'days she has left. She has certainly gone down this year, but not doing too bad considering she had to rehab from a fall earlier this year. Hopefully, no more broken bones.

Phew! Finished tearing down Thanksgiving, and rigged the house for Christmas. I need a turkey sandwich..

Today, I removed the rear wheels from below the rear bumper, and fixed a sagging screen door on my Airstream. I used my 4" grinder, to grind down the edge of the screen door that was hitting on the door jam. And then placed a screw with a plastic spacer to prop up the screen door. Now the door seems to close much easier... But it looks like the aluminium frame needs to be re-welded someday.
blush.gif

After removing the wheels, I weighed them... 23 less Lbs. off the rear end of my Airstream...which is a good thing! :dance:

Last edited:
I had a tree trimmer out to take down a few dead ash trees and to deal with a huge dangling willow branch that was threatening to squash my neighbor's woven fence. I am always amazed at the grace and skill of the tree trimmer guy and what he charges wouldn't pay my deductible at the emergency room. I'll cut up the downed wood and post is as free firewood on Craigslist.

I also splurged on a new waterproof jacket today. I noticed that the cuffs are worn through on the old one and I don't want to embarrass the DW. :blush:

Yesterday evening we bought a TV wall unit and an end table off Craiglsist. The owner claims to have paid $600 at Inspiration a couple years ago and sold them for $200. It's designed for a CRT TV or a small flat-panel TV, and people just don't want them anymore. We'll get 10 years out of this in the familyroom, or until our daughter decides to take it with her to her first duty station in 2014.

Our old TV wall unit has been chewed pretty badly by our dearly departed bunny. We'll give that away on FreeCycle or Craigslist. Not sure what we'll do with the end table, but if we sell that it'll be pure profit.

What did I do today? Pretty much nothin', which for me is unusual.

Maybe I'll paint more of the familyroom trim today. Or maybe not-- that's getting old, and it's 3 PM already. I've thoroughly enjoyed a down day.

Yesterday, I had a plumber come to find out why my hot water pressure was almost gone. I have lived in this house 12 years with a non-working water softener that we had installed when we built the house. We had no idea how it worked and my husband had no interest in it....so it just sat there for 12 years. Some way or another it was affecting my hot water pressure. The plumber bypassed the water softener and now I have hot water again. So relieved it wasn't anything major and was happy to pay the $50 service call.:dance:

The plumber thought the water softener was completely broken. So, at some point I would like to get a new unit and learn how it works. Something to budget for now.

Thanks REWahoo.... I might get some water softener stuff for the washing machine, but, I really would like a whole house one. I didn't know there were "beads" involved with this process. I only knew about the salt and mine wasn't working right for 12 years.:facepalm: It was funny after the plumber bypassed the water softener, the first time I flushed one toilet, the refilled tank water was BLACK. After a few more flushes, it finally cleared. I have no idea what that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom