what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt34 said:
Ordered a picture book from one of the recent visits with DW's grandnieces. I did that more to see how it comes out rather than the terrific pictures.

But it's neat that such a thing is possible so cheaply - including shipping, $22 for 34 pages from one that is regarded as one of the higher quality photo printers. It's the kind of thing that elicits a yawn now, but in 30 years it'll be "Wow, look at this!"

Which company?

I'm looking at a nice little 2000 Toyota MR2 (yellow) that I saw for sale on craigslist. :dance:

At the breakfast table this morning, I made the huge mistake of showing DW a picture that the seller had emailed to me. :facepalm:

Next thing I know we are looking at dining tables and chairs. :(

Looks like my summer toy is going to cost about 150% of what I pay for the car. :mad:

Saw an ad on craigslist for a cap that fits my pickup truck.

In the same town where I live. All metal, with sprayed on insulation inside. Good sliding side and rear smoked glass, needing some paint, and some rivets. $20.- Twenty bucks, wow, now that is a deal. Drove right over, with help of the seller put it on the truck, clamped in place with C clamps. Got it home, drilled out 6 broken rivets, replaced with stainless steel screws, good to go. 20 minutes of labor. Paint, eh who cares, the truck is beater.

Made my day. Easy to please eh?

To compensate for the pizza I had last night :blush:...
I started my day with 4 rousing games of right handed (I'm a natural lefty) ping pong, 2 matches of gladiator combat, and tried the disc golf game in Sports Champions. The disc golf game is not aerobic, but more of a visual accuracy and 1 armed aiming game. I did pretty well. :D

It is yet another lousy cold day, so I think I will look for another indoor project to accomplish. Maybe set up my new sewing machine and start taking in seams on dresses and pants that are too big on me. :dance:

Mr B is w*rking on a take home exam in accounting, so I need to keep the house quiet while he concentrates. Ssssshhhhhh ;)

Which company?

Beautiful photo books and book printing. Make your own book

Lightroom 4 comes with a plugin for it, and I read a lot of reviews first.

There are also plugins for others available on their web sites, such as CVS pharmacy, Wal-Mart, and just about anyone offering online photo books or prints.

For the non-photo types here, a "plugin" is a program that "plugs into" Photoshop or Lightroom to perform a specific task. Sort of like a macro works, or a separate stand-alone program that starts when initiated by Photoshop or Lightroom, depending on the complexity.

Walt34 said:
Beautiful photo books and book printing. Make your own book

Lightroom 4 comes with a plugin for it, and I read a lot of reviews first.

There are also plugins for others available on their web sites, such as CVS pharmacy, Wal-Mart, and just about anyone offering online photo books or prints.

For the non-photo types here, a "plugin" is a program that "plugs into" Photoshop or Lightroom to perform a specific task. Sort of like a macro works, or a separate stand-alone program that starts when initiated by Photoshop or Lightroom, depending on the complexity.

Walt, I've just started with Blurb. It is incredible, but overwhelming for someone whose photo book experience is limited to Shutterfly and Snapfish.
I'm working on a book for the mototaxi trip with stories and photographs. And I want it to be perfect. This is why I'm still on the first page! Sigh...

For a trip like that if you have lots of photos that are important it might be worthwhile to invest in Lightroom 4. The downside is there is a significant learning curve to learn it and in addition to the software you'll almost have to buy a couple of books to use it effectively.

But the results are beautiful.

Great day so far. Did the weekly grocery shipping at 7 when DW got home from the night shift. Then I brought some stuff over to the HOA for their garage sale and got my boat sticker. Came home and couldn't get in the house. Trees were down due to a storm, and power was out. So I couldn't get in through the garage door and my house keys were in the house. DW was now asleep in the house and I didn't want to wake her. So I went for a ride and got gear lube for the boat. Came home and still no electricity. Listened to the Bulls game and did a lot of surfing on my phone while sitting in my truck in the driveway. Luckily I left DW a text to let me in the house before the phone battery died. Took several trips down the street to check status on the tree removal/electrical repair. DW finally called me from the house and let me in after sleeping 7 hrs. Now I'm inside surfing on the iPad, reading a book, and listening to my bar fridge defrost. DW has to take a sponge bath before work because we only have enough well tank pressure for minimal water use. It will probably be several hours before the electricity comes back on. But I have steak and beer to get through this. I don't know how people survived before electricity.

Good LBYM day yesterday. I got these Nike running shoes for $1 at a rummage sale -- I don't think they've ever been worn.

RunningShoes.jpg

Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it. I use Lysol -- just like at the bowling alley. My old running shoes look like they belong to a homeless person.

I also got a never-used CFL for 25 cents and hanging file folders for the rolltop desk for 75 cents. Then I changed the oil in both vehicles.

Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it.
I can deal with you buying used shoes - used underwear, not so much... :)

I also got a never-used CFL for 25 cents and hanging file folders for the rolltop desk for 75 cents. Then I changed the oil in both vehicles.
I get using the CFL bulb in your worklight to see under your vehicles, but I'm not sure how you used the file folders in changing your oil...

I can deal with you buying used shoes - used underwear, not so much... :)

I get using the CFL bulb in your worklight to see under your vehicles, but I'm not sure how you used the file folders in changing your oil...
I think I've got it.. Filed the used oil under "things to recycle."

I think I've got it.. Filed the used oil under "things to recycle."

Actually my Dad recycled used motor oil by using it in his two-cycle toys (outboards, snowmobile, etc.). While I wouldn't recommend it to others, he actually didn't have any significant problems with his two-cycles.

Yes, I buy shoes at rummage sales, deal with it. I use Lysol -- just like at the bowling alley. My old running shoes look like they belong to a homeless person.

Logically there is nothing wrong with it, and $1 is a great price. Besides, shoes in shoe stores have been tried on by many strangers as well and may have seen more hours on strangers' feet than the shoes you bought.

But ewwww. I guess it reminds me of poorer days, in a way that I'd rather not remember. Also, I get horrendous foot problems if I wear just any random shoe rather than being extremely picky.

TromboneAl said:

You found a great rummage sale!

Mr B contines his final exam mission...1 down, 2 to go. I checkpointed his answers for one of his take home finals, the class with the linear algebra that he has come to love. I have labeled this Management Science course as the equivalent of Organic Chemistry (the dreaded course) for Accountants.:LOL:
He had all of the answers correct. :clap:

I'm killing time doing laundry and dry marinating 2 pork chops while he gets together with another student to finish up a group project.

I discovered a few mouse turds in my lower family room, so I set up some more traps. I bought a box of 72 traps online, so no more removing the dead mouse :( and re-using the sprung traps. I keep a list of how many traps get set and where I place them.
I still have 3 missing traps to find in the garage area, but no smell. Odd...:confused:

I was leaving Trader Joe and while waiting to cross at the light, I noticed an older guy wih a reunion jacket from my university. I confirmed this, and he told me he was class of '57. He introduced himself, then asked what I do. I said I retired, and he said, oh..kind of disappointed maybe. He said I still go to the office every day, but mostly for fun now. His name was an old NW brokerage, and he is still at the helm.

A lot of 1%ers live down the hill from me, to the East on Lake Washington, though I don't often see identifiable group members in Trader Joe. Or maybe I just would not notice them without the class jacket.

Ha

Last edited:
Filled out the paperwork to start withdrawing from the TSP. What have I been saving it for?
I want to leave a very small estate, so that none of my relatives will fight over it.

Decided it was time to put our pontoon boat in the lake today, out at our lake cottage. So, got it out of storage this morning and hauled it to the lake. Motor started on the third pull......a nice surprise :). Took a ride around the lake to celebrate, then came home and cooked a nice dinner. Now sitting in front of the wood stove (it's still cool here in northern Michigan), reading, and listening to music. Life is good!

"There will be new growth in the spring!"
- Chance the Gardener

Yup. Fed and trimmed the roses, did some tree trimming, mowed the lawns, pulled weeds, and dropped a dead birch that was near the house. (No spectacle here. It wasn't a big tree...)

This is the second warm weekend we've had since February, a nice day to work outside. Since the rain came late this year, there was plenty of growth. I'm probably going to be in hack-n-slash mode for a few more weeks. Lots of outdoor time. I just hope the Senior Catcher doesn't spot me...

Today is the 10th anniversary of my last haircut. I got that haircut while I was on retirement leave from active duty.

My 10th anniversary of retirement is on 1 June, of course, but the haircut anniversary seems to carry more significance for me. I've thought about getting it cut on this anniversary, but spouse says she thinks it looks good on me. (My opinion on this subject doesn't matter.) So now I'm balancing hair-maintenance hassles against... other benefits.

My cousin the Army Ranger got married a couple days ago to a great woman, and their wedding reception could best be summarized as "epic". (You wouldn't believe how fast a hotel can rustle up a uniformed police officer to "help" with a 40-something woman who disagrees with the bartender's assessment of her sobriety.) So we spent yesterday lazing around the hotel and today we plan to do some stand-up paddleboarding. His "problem" with leaving the military after 13 years of enlisted/officer service was choosing among MBA programs and employers. He decided to wait on the first and he starts the second next month.

Our daughter's identified about five used cars. She's hoping for a 5-10-year-old hatchback that can haul a moderate load with decent gas mileage. She's now proficient with Consumer Reports and CarFax and Craigslist, and she's learning to ask the right questions. I'm not surprised at the number of 1990s Honda Civics still on the road, but I am surprised at the number of CR-Vs. PT Cruisers seem to be holding up far better than expected, too, although people appear to dislike them for style reasons.

Today she's looking at her first test drive-- a 2001 Jeep Laredo with 170K miles for $4500. I don't expect it to turn into a purchase but the practice will help her. (I'm just along for the ride.) She should be wrapping this up by the end of the week, and then she can shift her focus to finding good cheap apartment furniture.

She moves into her off-campus apartment next week. Her summer school starts at the end of next week, and she was just told that her NROTC summer training will be June aboard a submarine. It'll be an OHIO class, perhaps one of the SSGNs that already has women officers. She's stoked now, but we'll see how she feels about it in July...

It's kinda nice to hang out with her & spouse, not having to worry about chores or repairs or other projects, and just enjoy the family time while she sorts out her life.

It's kinda nice to hang out with her & spouse, not having to worry about chores or repairs or other projects, and just enjoy the family time while she sorts out her life.

Aw!!! I am so glad you are enjoying the time with them, to the fullest. With your DD being in college, it won't be long before she has flown the nest. As you know, if/when she goes ahead with her Navy ambitions times like this may become more rare for your family (especially when she is at sea). Then your memories of this time will be even more precious.

Still, nostalgic empty nester feelings aside, I feel that it's a great accomplishment to raise a child who becomes a happy, productive adult with accomplishments of her own.

Today is the 10th anniversary of my last haircut. I got that haircut while I was on retirement leave from active duty.

Common Nords, this post is useless without pictures:D

Happy anniversary?

Do you remember other dates and life events as well or was there something particular about this when it happened? In the overall scheme of things it does seem a bit, well, ordinary to recollect a decade later.

My 10th anniversary of retirement is on 1 June, of course, but the haircut anniversary seems to carry more significance for me. I've thought about getting it cut on this anniversary, but spouse says she thinks it looks good on me. (My opinion on this subject doesn't matter.) So now I'm balancing hair-maintenance hassles against... other benefits.
10 Years retired - now that's something to remember and celebrate. Congratulations (just getting it in early).

Common Nords, this post is useless without pictures:D
The pony tail's been "stable" for about five years... it keeps replenishing itself by taking hair from the top of my head.

We're going to be waiting a while on the wedding pix. The photographers got enough "candid" shots at the reception to make plenty of relatives uncomfortably aware of their [-]sobriety[/-] behavior for decades...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom