what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished and installed the last of the screens by 9:00 AM.

Stayed inside out of the heat at least until the electricity went off at 5:50 PM. It got uncomfortably hot inside within two hours (outside was 100 F) so we went out to dinner and power was back on by the time we got back.

Given the heat, the recent storm damage, and the resulting strain on the grid I kind of expected outages of a few hours as every weak spot failed.

We got back late last night from a one week trip to Parker, CO to see DH's family. Our flight out of Denver was delayed over an hour due to weather so we didn't get home until 2am and then didn't get to bed until about 3:30am. So today I'm taking it easy and getting caught up on all the internet I missed. And I need a serious trip to the grocery store.

We had a cat sitter come daily for food, water, scooping and play time. But our cat was up all night yowling. Either she is very glad we are home or she's majorly pissed off at us. Hard to tell. She keeps wanting to go outside on the deck since she's had no outside access for a week.

Our trip to Denver was just great. My MIL is 83 and doing well in her own home with DH's youngest sister (45) living 10 minutes away. Another sister (50) lives on a ranch in Elizabeth, CO with teenagers, horses, dogs, cats, motorbikes, etc. We had a great BBQ out at her house and took family pictures. It's rare that the whole family is together since a brother (55) and another sister (52) live in NJ and we are in OH.

We took a drive to the mountains west of Boulder to see a cousin of mine. I haven't seen her since our last trip to CO in 2004. The drive is spectacular and the view from her house is outstanding.

The best part of the trip was Friday night dinner. It was just take-out pizza but it was all of us around the table at Mom's, passing around random pictures, telling old stories and just laughing, talking and laughing some more. I married into a marvelous family.

Nice to be home.

We got back late last night from a one week trip to Parker, CO to see DH's family.
My family moved there after I left for college (1978) and lived there for a decade. They worked with a developer to design & build their "dream house" from scratch on Ponderosa Parkway in the Pinery.

I was amazed that the local govt could get away wish scraping a bulldozer blade over a dirt path a couple times a year and use that justification to declare it a two-lane "road".

My family moved there after I left for college (1978) and lived there for a decade. They worked with a developer to design & build their "dream house" from scratch on Ponderosa Parkway in the Pinery.

I was amazed that the local govt could get away wish scraping a bulldozer blade over a dirt path a couple times a year and use that justification to declare it a two-lane "road".

Small world! DH's family built a house on Windlawn Way (backyard on the golf course) at The Pinery in 1979. They lived there until 2000 when Mom moved to a new development area, Stonegate, off of Lincoln.

Every time we go out there I need to get re-oriented because it's all changed. HUGE new developments and the old familiar 2 lane roads are now 4 lane major thoroughfares. We certainly like the easy access of the "new" E-470.

Coming back from one of the trips to Elizabeth (Parker Rd to Franktown, head east 8 miles) we drove through The Pinery and stopped in front of the old family home. The house looks good and all the trees are huge and look lovely.

Well, I just reduced by one my list of things I want to do in retirement. Went to see Carlos Santana last night. Fantastic show, they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes without a break.

Well, I just reduced by one my list of things I want to do in retirement. Went to see Carlos Santana last night. Fantastic show, they played for 2 hours and 40 minutes without a break.

What fun! I saw them in San Francisco at the Fillmore West sometime around 1969 or 1970, and they played even longer without a break then. Of course, I had a lot more energy 40+ years ago, too! :D

:dance:

Played 9 holes with some friends. Had a nice lunch on the deck at the club. Came home, did a few chores, had a beer and took a nap. Think I'll wash the car now.

I did a lot of little things today...trimmed yellowed leaves off my tomatoes, harvested some delicious carrots and exactly 5 filet beans, transplanted the next round of pepper plants to bigger containers, made homemade lemon gelato (wow!!!), got stung twice :mad: in my hands by little bees that had made a nest in the dirt of my front windowbox, emptied an entire can of hornet spray into the windowbox :bat:, watched Mr B grill some Armenian shish-ka-bob (all lamb) that we had marinated for 3 days and ate for dinner, then listened to Soundscapes on the digital cable music channel, wrote a run-on sentence in this post ;), and am getting ready to watch Red Tails.
No wonder I'm tired. :LOL:

Continuing to declutter in preparation for moving back to Texas. Good news is that two houses on my street have sold in the last month in less than a week so we should be ok with getting the house sold when the time comes even though we're in Nevada.

Went to farmers market and grocery; don't have to leave house again until next week (unless I run out of bird food).

Went for a 5 mile run in Central Park, had breakfast and caught up on my favorite blogs, cleaned my apartment and did laundry, went to a Broadway show matinee, took a quick phone call regarding some potential volunteer work, made a great pasta and chicken dinner, watched some TV.

I totally blew off planning my next long weekend out of town, will have to fit it in tomorrow somehow.

Busy week so far.

Talked with a friend over the weekend and planned some changes to the blog.

The publisher called to delay the royalty check for a couple weeks. They're having computer problems and he has a family emergency (it's a small firm). The good news is that they have to use a computer to track the sales...

Cleaned up our lanai today. I put the rental property's "spare" microwave oven back up in our attic for the next material problem. I fired up our new Toro two-stroke weedwhacker and had a great time in the back yard. I finally put up the surfboard rack over our back lanai door, so once again I have ample storage room for all our boards. In fact I could probably buy a used 9'6" or 10'6" and put it on the back lanai rack too. Hmm.

Our daughter checked in Monday night-- she's finished her midshipman submarine training. We just picked her up at the airport a few hours ago and she talked non-stop for over two hours. I'm beginning to think she had a good experience.

Walked around downtown and did some shopping. Bought some clothes. With coupons and a gift card that I received for opening a new credit card, I got a bunch of good quality stuff for $12. Stuff to keep warm mostly (we walked to the Golden Gate Bridge last week end and we froze our behinds). Had lunch at a neighborhood cafe. Then went to the library to pick up a few books I had on hold.

Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable.

Driving into the city at 4:30PM, it took about 2 hours and 5 minutes. Returning home around 10:00 it took 24 minutes. I do not miss rush hour.

Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable.

Great show - we generally don't catch it live at 10am on Saturday when our NPR station plays it, so we listen to the podcast during dinner one night during the week. Saw it live a few years back and found it hard to believe that a radio show was even better live and in person. But it was.

DH and I had a big day out - went downtown to wait in line for lunch at the hottest barbecue joint in TX, Franklin Barbecue. We got in line at 10 and ate at noon. They closed the line at 11:45 as they had sold out of meat (they take orders while you are in line). Fabulous crusty brisket, tasty moist ribs (a little more fatty than my preferred St. Louis cut, but delicious). They also make all their sauces - the espresso is their signature, but they also had a sweet tomato and a North Carolina-type vinegar sauce. It was worth the wait, although we might wait until winter for our next trip.

Then we went to a fascinating exhibit on the King James Bible, followed by gelato at a place we had been meaning to try for awhile.

Got home just in time for a major thunderstorm - our 4th this week :dance:.

Last night went to a taping of the radio program "Wait Wait .. Don't Tell Me". I was unfamiliar with the show, my brother and his wife got the tickets. Absolutely hilarious and thoroughly enjoyable. ....

Great show but I admit I like Car Talk better. I would love to see the live show someday.

Today I fixed my Mom's railing in the morning and sorted out some problems with my boat in the afternoon. A nice grilled salmon/vegetable dinner with DW and a nice boat ride around the lake. Beautiful day. I'm getting used to this retirement thing.

The loons are noisy tonight for some reason.

The weather was forecast to be rainy all day so I didn't even start anything outside. Played around with the macro camera lens, two remote flashes with color filters on one, and water drops at the kitchen sink.

The red background is a black plastic case holding a 1/2 inch drill lit by a flash with a red gel on it. Amazon sent a [-]spam message[/-] announcement of a new tabletop photography book. I'll probably buy it next order.

Attachments

• Water_Drops-9July_12,_2012with_reflection.jpg
    Water_Drops-9July_12,_2012with_reflection.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Red_drops-12July_13,_2012-EditJuly_13,_2012.jpg
    Red_drops-12July_13,_2012-EditJuly_13,_2012.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Sangria_drops-77July_13,_2012.jpg
    Sangria_drops-77July_13,_2012.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Sangria_drops-87July_13,_2012.jpg
    Sangria_drops-87July_13,_2012.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Sangria_drops-76July_13,_2012.jpg
    Sangria_drops-76July_13,_2012.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5
Wow!!! Your photography is just getting better and better, by leaps and bounds, Walt. Those photos look really cool.

Yesterday we went to the gym, then went out to lunch. A former co-worker spotted me there, and we talked for a while - - that was really fun because I hadn't seen him since the day I retired. He told me all the latest that was going on with my (former) agency. Plus, F. got to see someone that I had worked with.

After lunch we ran a couple of errands. During rush hour we happened to be in my neighborhood. We ducked into my house and watched TV together for a while, waiting for the traffic to abate. Another great day of retirement as far as I'm concerned.

Walt, have you taken photos of fireworks that capture the sparks shooting out? Your work is really amazing, to be able to capture the splash of a single drop of water.

Love that show! I plan my Saturday around listening to it. It's kind of incredible the celebrity guests that come on.

So far today I've finished the crossword, made (and ate) gluten-free waffles, done 15 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical, 25 minutes of weight lifting and, once I quit sweating, I'll go mow the front and back lawn. Then it should be time for Wait, Wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom