what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FinCon 12 would be neat to attend. When I ER I dream of broadening my mind by going to this sort of event, or music festivals. Just because I want to.
I met Philip Taylor last year at USAA's blogger conference, so he made a point of inviting all of our group. (We all paid $149 for our tickets. No comping here unless you're a top-10 rock star and a speaker.) I'm interested in seeing how people are earning their revenue. The gold-rush days might be tapering off, but there's still plenty of serious money being made out there. The entrepreneurial spirit in the hotel's hallways will probably be thick enough to cut with a chainsaw.

The problem is, you just have to devote the time to these projects, or they won't get done. That is, unless you are ER.....
Nah, you just find more creative ways to blow them off.

My little doggie was put to rest today [-]oops...yesterday[/-] .

The vet and his assistant were so good to her and me. Dx was cancer. She went from bipping around 1.5 weeks ago to struggling to do the basics.
I checked her Humane Society adoption papers...she was 13 years 8 months old.
Little Miss Lijah fought the good fight. She rallied to my voice and loving touch. Not a human by any means, but a very tough little dog. :cool:
I want to go the way she did...classical music, nice soft bed, cool cloths to soothe, her best friend (me) keeping vigil, getting my ears scratched and back rubbed, and being told I was a Good Dog.

Peace to Miss L, aka Rocket Dog. :)

Out of sadness...beauty can always emerge.

Beethoven-Moonlight Sonata (Mvt. 1) - YouTube

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss freebird. She was lucky to be adopted by you and you were lucky to have her in your life, but parting is always so hard. You did the right thing.

Freebird, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

First day of classes in the new school year. What did I do? More important is the answer to this question, "What didn't I do?" Go to Work!!!

Inhale, exhale...and forward I go.

I spent today in a nice quiet way. Mr B did his reading and homework, and I did a lot of little things around the house. Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. ok ok no rotten tomatoes from the 54+ crowd ;)
Mr B has a full day planned for me. I want to go to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp, assuming they offer that on the lunch menu. If not, maybe Chinese buffet will be Plan B. Or Greek. Or Mexican...decisions decisions.

Then we're going to hit several Legions (that we regularly volunteer at) for a free drink. I'm not proud. :LOL:

Finishing up the day will be helping do food for a pitch tournament. I'll be on 24 hour reponsibility break :dance:, but Mr B is not. >:D

Happy Birthday Freebird & have a great day ! Today I threw LBYM to the wind and had a spa day . It was great .I really need to do this more often .

freebird5825 said:
Inhale, exhale...and forward I go.

I spent today in a nice quiet way. Mr B did his reading and homework, and I did a lot of little things around the house. Tomorrow is my 54th birthday. ok ok no rotten tomatoes from the 54+ crowd ;)
Mr B has a full day planned for me. I want to go to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp, assuming they offer that on the lunch menu. If not, maybe Chinese buffet will be Plan B. Or Greek. Or Mexican...decisions decisions.

Then we're going to hit several Legions (that we regularly volunteer at) for a free drink. I'm not proud. :LOL:

Finishing up the day will be helping do food for a pitch tournament. I'll be on 24 hour reponsibility break :dance:, but Mr B is not. >:D

Young whippersnapper! I just hit 58 a couple of weeks ago, and I've never felt betttttttttttttttt......

Had my 2000 Honda Odyssey in for major maintenance. They found stuff that needed attention, which blew my budget far beyond even Hurricane Issac's reach.

In the end, they changed the timing belt, water pump, tensioners, front engine mount, flushed radiator, changed transmission fluid, and rear brake shoes. Oh, I had them do an oil change as well.

At least the rotors and front brake pads didn't have to be changed. Dodged a bullet there.

Might be interesting to find out how much this would have cost in various parts of the country. Here in Northern California, set me back $1650.

Freedbird: I too am sorry for your loss, but I agree that would be a good way to go. I hope that you have a very Happy Birthday!

Little Miss Lijah fought the good fight. She rallied to my voice and loving touch. Not a human by any means, but a very tough little dog. :cool:

Freebird, so sorry about your loss but sounds like you did all you could to make her so comfortable! Our oldest dog is nearly 12 and starting to slow down a lot so know we'll be at this point in the not too distant future.

We lost one of our alpacas (Leonardo) on Monday morning. On Friday of last week, he got his head stuck between a wagon and fence for a while and was stressed. Vet looked him over and he was doing well, up and running, eating, playing, etc. by Saturday. On Monday morning, I found him dead in the barn so not clear what happened at this point. He was our little guy that had been bottle fed for a number of months after he was born, about 10 months old.

(No need to read further if you don't want any details) Vet performed a necropsy here at our place before we buried Leo on a hill behind our pasture. (DW and I watched to learn and it was quite an experience, needless to say). DW and I had both decided before the vet arrived to not watch but after he was there and ready to start, we felt compelled to see if we could learn something for next time. Our vet was wonderful, spent a lot of time explaining what we were seeing, what was normal, what would be considered abnormal, etc. He's a new vet, just starting up his practice in the area for large animals and had met him at an alpaca farm a month or so ago. We will definitely recommend him to others, both for his knowledge as well as his manner.

Our concern is for the other alpacas in case there was something contagous. Nothing obvious from the visual exam other than an abundance of fluid in the body cavity that shouldn't have been there and some fibrous tissues in a couple of the organs, the test results are from several samples are due back next week.

From what we understand, alpacas can get stressed and sometimes have reactions well beyond what you might think is normal but the vet was as surprised as we were given how he had come back so well on Saturday. We'll miss this little guy and now we're in over reaction mode, checking the barn every 2 hours to make sure the five other guys are okay. Hopefully we'll get an answer but after some investigation of my alpaca resources, this isn't unheard of but will wait and see.

When I got home last night I noticed the house seemed a bit humid, although the A/C fan was running. When I put my hand over one of the vents there was no air coming out.

Uh oh, that's not good. I have an idea what would cause that.

Went downstairs to look at the evaporator lines and yup, the high side line is iced up. Same outside. Turned off the A/C and let the fan run to melt the ice on the evaporator and started looking up information on Consumer Reports' web site about reliable A/C manufacturers. It's clear we're in the market for a new one since this is the once that came with the house and is now ten years old. Although the leak can possibly be fixed, I wouldn't bet on it lasting for long.

So in 20 minutes or so I'm going to be on the phone with a couple of A/C contractors getting estimates.

Sitting in Vegas at my sister in law's house when I should be more than halfway back to Texas in our cross country move.

Movers had just pulled away from our empty house and we were about to get in the car and head out when we got an emergency call from SIL. She ended up having to go to the hospital. She's back home now but unable to drive so we took her kids to school today.

Don't know yet how this is going to all work out since she has no other family here but we have to be in TX on Tuesday to receive our stuff at the new house...Murphy has undoubtedly struck on this occasion!

My body is absorbing 4 skewers plus a small dish of Endless Shrimp today. I got my money's worth at Red Lobster yesterday. :D I had quite a few free beers at the Legion while Mr B made pizzer. Then he had to run to conduct a meeting elsewhere, so I hung out and visited with some folks I had not seen in months. I left my car in the parking lot overnight. :cool:

Right now I am keeping my 2nd dog company while Mr B gets the 92 Honda exhaust system fixed downtown. I have the 1970s digital cable music station going.
I made some farfalle (bowtie pasta) and cheese for lunch. I'm starting to go through the upstairs freezer and use up anything dated Sep 2011 or later. I came across some small portions of leftover meat for future soups this winter.

Mr B will most likely want to go out tonight but I think I will just hang out.

When I got home last night I noticed the house seemed a bit humid, although the A/C fan was running. When I put my hand over one of the vents there was no air coming out.

Uh oh, that's not good. I have an idea what would cause that.

Went downstairs to look at the evaporator lines and yup, the high side line is iced up. Same outside. Turned off the A/C and let the fan run to melt the ice on the evaporator and started looking up information on Consumer Reports' web site about reliable A/C manufacturers. It's clear we're in the market for a new one since this is the once that came with the house and is now ten years old. Although the leak can possibly be fixed, I wouldn't bet on it lasting for long.

So in 20 minutes or so I'm going to be on the phone with a couple of A/C contractors getting estimates.

My HVAC contractor tells me that most leaks occur in the evaporator coil, where the tubing makes 180 degree turns on each end. If you see copper oxide there, there is a leak. This is fresh on my mind -- replaced one yesterday. We were without AC in the main zone from Saturday until Thursday. It got up to 93 inside the house.

Happy Birthday Freebird & have a great day ! Today I threw LBYM to the wind and had a spa day . It was great .I really need to do this more often .

Oh geez. I avoided massages and stuff like that for so long. DW talked me into getting a couples massage. Think Im hooked. Keep that on the down low.. ;)

I had to move all my container plants indoors in the face of 2 fast moving fronts predicted to have large hail, strong winds, and possible property damage (Yay NWS!). Buffalo got it the worst, we had gusts up to 50 mph, and now portions of the Catskills and metro NYC are the next target. I'm OK but a lot of central NY communities have large trees down and hail damage. Ouch. :(

So anyway, I harvested some Banana and Jalapeno peppers. The longer banana peppers are very hot :mad: when red. I took a small taste of a red one and had to eat cheese and lemon pudding to put the fire out. Wooooooooo :LOL:

I got creative with my harvest while the storm moved through here.

Don't Play With Your Food!!!

Well, I guess I never listened too well as a child. :angel:

I have them strung for drying and grinding for a smidge of hot pepper taste when cooking. I'm a little leaguer when it comes to hot peppers.

Attachments

• PepperSpiralFix.jpg
    PepperSpiralFix.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
After being away for a week visiting family in PA, I've been in catchup mode. Today felt like a typical Saturday from my w*rking days. Planned to Roundup a weed filled bed but it was too windy. Pulled a few nasty weeds then moved to inside tasks. Planned to install weatherstrip on the attic stairs but found there was no frame to seal. Found an insulation "tent" at Home Depot. Stopped at the farmers market on the way home Took 5 minutes to put in place. Wish I'd done it when we moved in. Took the paper pile over to the school for recycling. Inventoried the pile in the garage and took it to Goodwill. Caught up with things online. Cooked a crab pasta dinner using the fruits of the market. Sat down to watch the NASCAR race only to find it is rain delayed. Time to knit. Life is good!

Went out for lunch, to the Ghirardelli Chocolate Festival. Lunch was chocolate, chocolate brownies, chocolate vodka, chocolate truffles, Belgian chocolate gelato, chocolate shortbread, chocolate bread pudding, and chocolate infused red wine.

I don't think I need dinner... What's for dessert?

Voted in Hong Kong's elections.

Since "none of the above" wasn't on the ballot forms, I voted against the candidates whom I found most irritating.

Seriously thinking of de-registering as a voter to cut down the amount of electoral spam that hits my in-box and my mail-box.

Lesssseeeeee...
I wanted to go boating but the weather was a bit iffy. :( It's finally cool enough for me to go on the boat without overheating from hot flashes in mid 80s temps. :blink:
I made sauce from homegrown tomatoes. :)
I trimmed back and downright eliminated some aging indoor/outdoor plants. I planted more snow peas, Swiss chard, green onions and carrots in Earthboxes for a late fall/early winter indoor harvest. I still have the most tender plants inside my enclosed porch. Cool night time temps (40s) are predicted for the next day or so.
I ordered some mung beans for sprouting. I already have a sprouter, long unused. I am tired of paying way too much for them in a can. I use them for pork fried rice, a favorite of Mr B's.
I watched baseball with Mr B. booo Yankees :LOL:
I'm getting ready for another 3 day beach camp trip up north to Lake Ontario.
Mr B has a ton of studying to do over the next week.

All in all a productive day. :dance:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom