what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally found a 2mm neoprene long-sleeve high-neck rashguard in Haleiwa at the Xcel factory outlet. (I've researched websites and phoned all over the island, and this was my fifth store.) I'm glad I didn't try to buy this online, because I ended up needing a XXL. Apparently they're made by hobbits, but at least it was a 20%-off sale.

South shore surf has been less than memorable this year, and today's forecast was "flat". Not "1-3", not even "0-2", but "Flat-- just go anywhere else." So as long as I was up in Haleiwa I checked out the breaks at Laniakea, Jock's, and Chun's. It was forecast at 15-18 and they weren't kidding. I saw the rescue helicopter make a pass (just looking?) and not one but two surfers come out of the water with broken boards. So next week I'll go back up there looking for a break that's slightly mellower.

The blogger known as "Mr. Money Mustache" is spending this month and next in Kailua, so today all the local Mustachians are having a meetup in Kailua Beach Park.
Meeting of Mustachians this Saturday – Kailua Beach Park | Mr. Money Mustache
I have three copies of the pocket guide to give away to servicemembers, veterans, or family members. Just stop by and ask if you're in the top three.

Spent yesterday afternoon visiting Mom. This time DW came along and we went through the kitchen cabinets, clearing up space for her nice things and taking out some of the junk that accumulates along the way. More than one piece of the "junk" is something I gave as a "gift" in years gone by. Took out one large box, another is ready for a repeat next week.

The heavens just opened up here and delivered a torrential downpour. Visibility is down to only a few hundred yards, and we even have lightning. We only see lightning a couple times a decade, but all of the vog in the air probably made it super-conductive.

Welcome to winter in paradise!

Please send the rain! Our drought continues. Perhaps just a few inches since we came back to Il in June. All rivers and streams are very low. The corn and soy crops that were lost or down 50% look to be a problem next year, especially if we have a winter like last year. The Illinois river is a half mile from our house, and it looks like barge traffic will stop soon.
The Mississippi looks as if it may stop all barge traffic, and that will be a major catastrophe for prices of bulk goods, like coal, sand, grains etc.

We're going to Starved Rock today to see just how low the river is. Weather near the '60's.
Mississippi River could become impassable in two weeks - KansasCity.com

My colleagues and staff had our last charity run and ride of the season. At the end of the event, they asked me to give a little speech and then they hand me run thru a long line of arched hands. Afterwards they presented me with two banners, each of which had about 150-200 messages from the employees I've worked with for the past 13 years, or in a few cases, the past 25 years. Many wrote of some small kind thing that I had done for them over the years, most of which I only vaguely remember. It brought home to me that as an employer or as a boss, we are probably remembered more for how we treat our people than for anything else we do. Even as I prepare to leave this phase of life behind, I am truly honored to have had the opportunity to work with my colleagues in Japan.

Today I moved my main computer system from the bedroom to my living room. I wasn't using the computer much and all it was doing was gathering cat dander :blush:

Sometime next week, I gotta try and consolidate the data the computer with a tempory computer I'd been using in the living room. Plus, I might have to do a restore from image, and reinstall as the computer is kinda limping along :blush:.

Decided to do some work in my backyard. While clearing some brush, a bunny hopped out and let it be known my endeavor was not appreciated.

I backed off slowly...he looked docile enough, but I know he's got teef.

The rest of the clearing can wait until spring.

Volunteered a couple of hours with my Little Brother on sports (basketball, soccer) and a trip to the movies (Wreck-it Ralph - recommended)
Walked to our town and enjoyed the Christmas Parade (every marching band, scout troop, dance club antique car and church group for miles - 90 minutes long).
Spent a couple of hours doing Navy admin work (awards) while watching the Alabama-Georgia game.
A good day.

It was a rainy day here. I watched some movies, played video games, and read a couple of magazines. Oh, and I updated the spreadsheet that I use to track my passive income. I am happy with the YTD growth. Tomorrow, I'll probably work on next year's budget.

Decided to do some work in my backyard. While clearing some brush, a bunny hopped out and let it be known my endeavor was not appreciated.
He has a family hiding back in there?

Ah, this reminded me to try to make rabbit stew in red wine, something I have not had. Some use white wine. Decision, decision...

But first, I must acquire a rabbit, already cleaned and pot-ready. I think I know a purveyor in town.

Please send the rain! Our drought continues. Perhaps just a few inches since we came back to Il in June. All rivers and streams are very low. The corn and soy crops that were lost or down 50% look to be a problem next year, especially if we have a winter like last year. The Illinois river is a half mile from our house, and it looks like barge traffic will stop soon.
The Mississippi looks as if it may stop all barge traffic, and that will be a major catastrophe for prices of bulk goods, like coal, sand, grains etc.

We're going to Starved Rock today to see just how low the river is. Weather near the '60's.
Mississippi River could become impassable in two weeks - KansasCity.com

I wish I could send you some rain! Right now the local streams are rapidly rising, and the heavy rain is expected to continue for about 3 more hours...trees down all over the place...the flooding is sudden and fast.

I wish I could send you some rain! Right now the local streams are rapidly rising, and the heavy rain is expected to continue for about 3 more hours...trees down all over the place...the flooding is sudden and fast.
Don't give it all to imoldernu!

Photos of the local lake, currently 89% empty...

Attachments

• 628x471-2.jpg
    628x471-2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 628x471-3.jpg
    628x471-3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
He has a family hiding back in there?
I don't think so... The stuff I was tearing out was low and sparse. It was growing in a bed of lava rock, so I don't think it would make a good home..

But then again, when I noticed the rabbit, 'he' had hopped out of it not three feet from me. :blink: That's when I decided I should leave the bunny's hiding place alone.

We're downstream of you. As of now, we've just about got our annual average rainfall... in four days.

The rest of the clearing can wait until spring.

Is that bunny the relative of the one which attacked Jimmy Carter? Waaay back.

Interesting swamp rabbit story...I never heard of the incident. I must have had my nose too deep in my college books. :blush:

I actually got out of the house today. :dance: The temperature was in the high 40s with rain.
Mission...ESCAPE!!!!! :LOL:
I went to my friend's repair shop, signed over the title for the Jeep, did the sales transaction (under fair market value) paperw*rk, and collected my $650.
Considering I had to fork over $500 for 3 oxygen sensors just to get it to pass inspection earlier this year, I felt a little better about getting some ROI on that particular repair. The guy who bought it feels like he will be able to do a head gasket repair and have himself a nice vehicle just for towing his boat. Everyone is happy! :D
I met a friend at Denny's and wolfed down a Sausage Slam breakfast. My appetite is back. I hung out talking for about an hour, and got a little bit of that tired feeling back again. So I came home and am relaxing in front of spandex eye candy [-]football[/-]. ;)

It's all good from here!

Last edited:
This morning I had 14 inches of my hair cut off. :eek:

Over the weekend, I realized my long hair was getting to be a PITA. My stylist was able to work me in this morning...when I get in a mood for a change, especially my hair, I want it done right away. I took a pic of the style I wanted and she did a great job.

It's shoulder length now and it feels great.
sHa_runaround.gif

It felt so good to get pampered a little. :) (btw, no bunnies were harmed)

Is that bunny the relative of the one which attacked Jimmy Carter? Waaay back.

Interesting swamp rabbit story...I never heard of the incident. I must have had my nose too deep in my college books. :blush:.....

I missed it too. I must have been in a gas line. Remember those?

Wow, how long was it? This long?

bbb "rapunzel" amI?
:D....not quite that long.

It was long enough that I had to tie it back when I went to bed. Otherwise, I experienced it getting under my arms, wrapping around my throat and getting in my mouth.

Now...wouldn't it be a sight to see in the paper...'Woman's demise caused by a hairball'.... (btw, no kitties or bunnies harmed)

emoticon-animal-038.gif
emoticon-animal-044.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom