what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I've played Castleville for way too long (a zynga.com game), opened the mail that came while I was away for a few days, contemplated paying bills, noted at least two more mailings regarding Medicare which starts June 1, and not much more :)

I do need to check the bills though...

But YESTERDAY - I bought patio furniture at Costco. YAY! S.O. thinks it's a waste of money so I am paying for that, and lawn sprinklers, and some landscaping. I hurt my arm when I lost a finger a couple of years ago and any heavy work hurts... so I am paying to have it done.

Don't catch a ring on something - I pulled my own finger off, along with a tendon (which is the main problem, soft tissue injury). Haven't been able to wear a ring since. This was 6 months after I retired.

So far I've played Castleville for way too long (a zynga.com game), opened the mail that came while I was away for a few days, contemplated paying bills, noted at least two more mailings regarding Medicare which starts June 1, and not much more :)

I do need to check the bills though...

But YESTERDAY - I bought patio furniture at Costco. YAY! S.O. thinks it's a waste of money so I am paying for that, and lawn sprinklers, and some landscaping. I hurt my arm when I lost a finger a couple of years ago and any heavy work hurts... so I am paying to have it done.

Don't catch a ring on something - I pulled my own finger off, along with a tendon (which is the main problem, soft tissue injury). Haven't been able to wear a ring since. This was 6 months after I retired.

Did that rock climbing Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale AZ, I was lucky to only have about half my dead weight hanging from my ring/finger. Took 20 years for the groove in my wedding band to disappear, I was lucky it was a soft gold band.

Did that rock climbing Camelback Mountain in Scottsdale AZ, I was lucky to only have about half my dead weight hanging from my ring/finger. Took 20 years for the groove in my wedding band to disappear, I was lucky it was a soft gold band.

My whole weight was on it - a tendon pulled out of my arm still attached to the finger, which was severed. So quick, so easy.... Interesting to hear another story, thanks.

I was stepping down from a bench, near the pool, on a cruise...

Plotting a strategy to get a decent hotel on Priceline. I booked an airport hotel for the incoming night, but once I got it (3 stars) the reviews stunk. So I'm looking for a better hotel for the night before flying. I've generally had good luck with Priceline, but they do seem to have some dogs that they pass of as "upscale".

Watched a trout stream being stocked today. We rode into the back country in a pickup truck. Then we had to carry buckets of fish the last 50 yards or so and throw them into the stream. Just an event that we happened to stumble into. What a great experience!

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2016.jpg
    777.9 KB · Views: 5
Let's see...

I finished planting all of my peppers and tomatoes indoors. Just for fun I threw in a few cucumber, pumpkin and watermelon seeds. I use clear plastic beer cups so I can see when they are root bound and need to be transplanted into a bigger container. My peas are up, inside my screened porch so the squirrels can't get at them.

I did 400 steps on my mini stepper with no problem. I measured my waist - minus 1/4" since January 1st. It's a start. :dance: My legs feel stronger with each session.

Mr B and I watched a little baseball on our MLB.tv subscription. We used credit card cashback rewards to pay for that. :D I put a bunch of animated movies in the Netflix Instant Queue for when I do my stepper exercise. Gotta keep it fun!

Mr B is in full throttle tax prep mode for last minute customers at his PT job, so I am going north to Sackett's Harbor tomorrow to help my buddy do some planting in his 40 foot greenhouse. He does the hard w*rk, I set the seeds in and mark the rows.
And drink his beer...:LOL:

Last edited:
Picked up grass seed, fertilizer/weed killer for this year's 4 applications. I'll start by aerating and overseeding after the big rain tomorrow.

Worked out at the gym for a couple of hours, researched a trip to Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard this summer, and worked on a write-up of my Mom's genealogy.

Beautiful weather here in NYC, plus my NW hit an all-time high.

Well, today I worked on a drinking fountain at our church's preschool. The drain didn't (roots in the darin line) and there was a pinhole leak on the pressure side of the shutoff valve.

I kind of like doing those things. Spreadsheets are fun TOO, but I like doing "real" things.

Tuesday, 4/9

Water fitness class;

Rode through the beautiful spring day in our little convertible, into the hills of the Amish country (ate lunch at "The Barn," near Wooster);

Continued reading Sandburg's A. Lincoln: The War Years, Vol. 4 (in Feb. 1865 the War Dept. is STILL getting ripped off on their supply contracts: eg., defective anchors that can't hold a ship);

Helped sister-in-law navigate Vanguard site for her new rollover IRA, showing her how to make her own exchanges (she recently left her FA who had given years of lackluster advice with few earnings).

Yup, another nice day! :)

Watched a trout stream being stocked today. We rode into the back country in a pickup truck. Then we had to carry buckets of fish the last 50 yards or so and throw them into the stream. Just an event that we happened to stumble into. What a great experience!

That reminded me of a useful bit of advice.
When I was young, I learned to avoid trout streams during the first week of the season (after stocking).

Seems they fed the trout at the hatchery mainly on liver, and that's what they tasted like for at least several days after they went into the streams. This was in the Catskill mountains of New York, so it might not be common practice, but a word to the wise ...

It's early, so mostly just sat in bed and caught up on email

A few days ago though we released some baby turtles into the sea on the southern coast of Mexico. It is honestly one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had

2013 Sea Turtle MX-002-372.jpg2013 Sea Turtle MX-003-55.jpg2013 Sea Turtle MX-003-70.jpg

Went out for lunch yesterday. Had seviche (fish marinated in lime) and anticucho (grilled beef heart). First time in the US for the anticucho.

I migrated all my RSS feeds to Reeder from Google Reader since it is being discontinued. Then I decided to go to Chinatown to get some of my favorite Taiwanese tea. The cab ride was epic. The driver was talking non-sense to himself and he hit another cab while rolling down the hill backwards. I decided to walk home after purchasing my tea. Then this afternoon I went to the city's wholesale flowers market which, I recently discovered, is located just a few blocks from my apartment. They had a great selection of houseplants. I bought some air plants for my terrariums. Then I had a late lunch at Panera and went for a walk along the water front on this beautiful day.

Bible study (Ezekiel) this morning, then delivered some Meals on Wheels to a couple (both in hospice).

DH and i picked up DD's dog because she is going on weekend trip with (DH and I would never-in-a-zillion-years choose him for a SIL, but it may happen so we may just have to deal) BF.

Finally figured out that the reason the federal taxes owed were not debited today, as scheduled, was because I entered our checking account # incorrectly on Turbo Tax On hold 45 min+ with IRS to straighten it out. First IRS person told me to re-submit. That sounded strainge, so i asked to talk to somebody else. That person told me to pay at irs.gov/payment.gov.

My advice: Do NOT make that mistake. I am having a difficult time believing i really did that---but, i most certainly did. :nonono:

Karaoke (listening only) tonite at nearby Mexican restaurant. That + the beer = okay, i messed up a digit on tax submission. So what? ;)

It's early, so mostly just sat in bed and caught up on email

A few days ago though we released some baby turtles into the sea on the southern coast of Mexico. It is honestly one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had.

I have head started, Three-toed Box turtles. Sea turtles are on my fun bucket list. Did you you have this experience with a work/study/volunteer group?

david, Dancing Turtle Ranch

Yucky weather here so I'm reading a book about compositing photographs and played around in Photoshop with that for a while. I did one of a BIL (who I actually like) with him on the front porch of a trashy house. Since they're house-hunting here in WV it seemed appropriate. Gotta keep up those stereotypes y'know. I'm debating sending it to family but the downside is what's he going to do to get back at me?:LOL:

The trick is not just the selection of the subjects, but to get the lighting and shadows right too.

I got a j*b today, House Boy, and lot attendant, for Ms G's Girls Day here. So far the only requirement of the j*b is showing where the guests should park, and wrestling a stubborn cork out of a wine bottle. But the eats have been good, and my tablet has been handy within wifi range at the ranch.

This morning, I sang at a memorial service for my friend Evelyn, who died last month at the age of 97. She was one of the nicest ladies I've ever met. A retired school teacher who was sharp as a tack right to the end, interested in others and interesting to talk to. She sang in my church choir for 80 years, and it is testament to the universal regard in which she was held that virtually everyone who has ever been in the choir came to sing for her today. We had over triple our normal number of choristers. And that was in addition to the well over 100 people down in the pews.

At her own request, we sang the 4th movement of Brahms Requiem (How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place) and John Rutter's setting of the Aaronic Blessing (The Lord Bless You and Keep You). We finished up with Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah, at the special request of her son, who told us that she was listening to it when she died, just after asking him to turn it up louder. Over 60 people, who know each other and the piece very well, singing their hearts out for our departed friend. It was quite moving.

Last edited:
We attended DD and DSIL's university graduation in Hawaii. L to R, me, DD, DSIL, DW.

Happy.

R

Attachments

• image-3250679774.jpg
    image-3250679774.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 43
Wow...what a fulfilling day folks have had! :)

Rambler....I love the photo. Y'all just look so happy and downright gorgeous! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom