what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem for us is we have a wild card issue.....we have a great view.... what's that worth? No idea.

If a view is important in your area (like Carmel, California?), advertise it "with a great view" and add 5% over comps? Or 10%? Remember, the price you get is what someone is willing to pay. The main thing is what is the advertised price that will generate traffic?

The hotness/coldness of the market is another factor. Where we live now, houses are being bid on by multiple potential buyers. Comps go out the window when 5 bidders are 10% higher than your asking price.

In areas where nothing is selling, a view may not be much of a desirable feature that a potential buyer is willing to pay more for.

My first day of retirement. I walked to my old job, picked up the bike they bought me, got a coffee, rode home. Got a cool basket for my bike, weavers from Ghana support their village making bike baskets. Took a long nap with my animals and now just relaxing and contemplating a long night of reading since I have no work to go tomorrow!

My first day of retirement. I walked to my old job, picked up the bike they bought me, got a coffee, rode home. Got a cool basket for my bike, weavers from Ghana support their village making bike baskets. Took a long nap with my animals and now just relaxing and contemplating a long night of reading since I have no work to go tomorrow!

Congratulations, Linny! Sounds like a perfect day, and I suspect tomorrow will be even better. :)

Problem for us is we have a wild card issue.....we have a great view.... what's that worth? No idea.

That and a bunch of other things may mean a lot to one buyer but irrelevant to another.

Things important to us were being at the end of the street (less traffic) natural gas heat (we like it warm and crank it up in the winter) and the fact that the view out back, while not great, isn't bad either and the fact that it's a flood plain means it won't be built on in our lifetimes. That was important.

All of those may mean nothing to someone else.

My first day of retirement. QAZWSX3E
!

Coingrats....Also first real day of retirement... got up early and DW and I cleaned out garden fountain, replumbed and leveled and cranked it back up... got to figure out husband/wife project duties... we're going to kill each other if we don't divide up the duties of each project and do our own thing..

it's only 10am and I'm cleaned up and ready to go visit eldercare attorney to talk about my 84 year old mom's next phase.. she's doing great but I'm just looking down the road for things I need to do now to prepare her for the best possible remaining years...

Congrats to the new retirees. :flowers:

--------------------------

Went to Big Lots to pick up a few items. Walked to my car, put some of my purchases in the trunk, then put one item in the passenger seat, along with my purse. Walked over to the driver's door...it wouldn't open. I was locked out.

Went back in the store...I guess I must have looked pitiful and perplexed as a man asked me what was wrong. I told him I locked myself out of my car. My purse was in there along with my cell phone. He graciously offered his cell phone so I could call DH.

When I told DH what happened he said...'did you try to open the door?'

I said....'Ummm, yeah.'

:crazy:

Technology (fobs) can sometimes be a PITA.

When I told DH what happened he said...'did you try to open the door?'

I said....'Ummm, yeah.'

:crazy:

Not necessarily as crazy as you might think. Back in my wayward youth as a Navy submariner, when some piece of equipment was not operating, the first question in the troubleshooting litany was this one: "Is the ON/OFF switch in the ON position?" You would be amazed at the number of times that solved the problem.

Not necessarily as crazy as you might think. Back in my wayward youth as a Navy submariner, when some piece of equipment was not operating, the first question in the troubleshooting litany was this one: "Is the ON/OFF switch in the ON position?" You would be amazed at the number of times that solved the problem.
As a recently married graduate student I went to the Venezuelan Consulate in Houston to get my visa. We entered the front office and found the staff standing around the IBM Selectric typewriter, trying to make it work. The sole man, on hands and knees and with posterior facing the visitors, was under the desk shouting instructions to the others. I suggested they investigate the unplugged electric cord in close proximity on the floor. They did, and the machine came to life. The man turned out to be the Consul General. Embarassed that he had been shown up in front of his staff, he promptly insulted my wife and denied my visa.

When I was doing computer forensic work the very first thing before we started the process of making a copy of a hard drive was pull the plug on the forensic machine (this was well before the time of specialized gear for that). Very often we'd check everything twice on the checklist, push the "ON" button and be confronted with silence.

"Um, do you think it might work better if we plugged it in?" became a standard office joke.

Learned to fly a helicopter.

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It is extremely sensitive on the controls even at the lowest sensitivity but I have finally mastered the hover, the basic building block to anything else. As long as one remembers to chop the power when things go wrong - and it often did - there is no damage that I could see. It can and did drop from ceiling height with no damage.

Inexpensive fun in the winter!

Attachments

• Helicopter_flying-1.jpg
    Helicopter_flying-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Helicopter_flying-2.jpg
    Helicopter_flying-2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Helicopter_flying-3.jpg
    Helicopter_flying-3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 15

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. ........

I have the same helicopter, as does my grandson. They are surprising easy to fly and surprisingly sturdy. For Christmas he is getting this key chain video to turn it into a drone. These cheap video cameras are popular with the model rocket crowd, too.

I have the same helicopter, as does my grandson. They are surprising easy to fly and surprisingly sturdy. For Christmas he is getting this key chain video to turn it into a drone. These cheap video cameras are popular with the model rocket crowd, too.

Thanks! I added the video camera to my wish list there and will order it the next time I buy something.

When we get a day when the wind is dead calm I'll try flying outside where there is more room.

..........When we get a day when the wind is dead calm I'll try flying outside where there is more room.
Some can't be flown outside. I think it has to do with the control system using infrared which needs to bounce off walls, as opposed to RF like larger models.

I got a very similar one last year, and flying it in the two story living room is great. Especially flying it over the upstairs open hallway and back down into the foyer. The wind shear can get really tricky if you leave the ceiling fan on. Hmmm, now that the foyer chandelier has crashed to the floor I should have even more room. Have to break the little thing out again.

Flew home from Mexico. One connection. There were weather delays, but that's winter for you. Now absolutely bushed and hitting the hay!

Some can't be flown outside. I think it has to do with the control system using infrared which needs to bounce off walls, as opposed to RF like larger models.

This one is radio control. I did have one a couple of years ago that was IR control but the only controls were throttle and rudder. Rudder was almost completely ineffective and that made things worse.

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It is extremely sensitive on the controls even at the lowest sensitivity but I have finally mastered the hover, the basic building block to anything else. As long as one remembers to chop the power when things go wrong - and it often did - there is no damage that I could see. It can and did drop from ceiling height with no damage.

Inexpensive fun in the winter!

Hi Walt,

You sold me! Ordered 3 of them. One for each of the kids and one for me. Even paid an extra 12 bucks to get them before Christmas.

Congratulations linny727....would love to hear how you're adjusting as the days, weeks, & months go by. Enjoy!

Just back from the family Christmas gathering in AL. Good to see everyone, but glad it's over. Will enjoy the next few days with the mutt, a bottle of wine and good food I brought back with me. And will enjoy some peace and quite.:D I'll start my diet January 1. I'll let you know what year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom