what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our area there are some immediate care clinics. They are staffed with one doctor, and have nurses and techs as needed for simple lab work and x-rays. They fill the need in-between a regular doctor visit and the emergency room and are usually walk-in with little wait.
And they are considerably less expensive than an emergency room visit.

I talked to the phone nurse for my insurance company. It doesn't sound like I broke anything. She recommended using an ice pack which I think I will do. I found the right urgent care clinic for my insurance. It is associated with the hospital I used last year for outpatient surgery, so I think I am good. I think I am fine, but I don't recommend bouncing down the stairs as a good way to start the morning!

Hope you feel better tomorrow Hermit. :)

--------------

I'm glad today is not Sunday...this means I won't get any mail.

Yesterday we got a lovely invitation for free meals at a local restaurant I love. We assumed it was from a financial institution. That was not the case...it said 'Important cremation, funeral and cemetery information you should know...' Oh, joy. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder if I ordered charbroiled, they'd put me down for cremation.

--------------

Yesterday we got a lovely invitation for free meals at a local restaurant I love. We assumed it was from a financial institution. That was not the case...it said 'Important cremation, funeral and cemetery information you should know...' Oh, joy. :rolleyes:

Hate to break it to you, but it IS Sunday. At least where I live.:LOL: (Is this an indication of being RE too long?)

--------------

But today is Sunday! You're losing it, bbbamI!

I hate these solicitations too.

Hate to break it to you, but it IS Sunday. At least where I live.:LOL: (Is this an indication of being RE too long?)
:facepalm:

Actually I do know today is Sunday....I added a 'not' when I shouldn't have. :D However, it's not uncommon for me to wonder what day it is. :blink:

I'd go just for the free meal at a favorite restaurant and to listen to the morbid jokes that would be bound to come up. I'd probably have to go by myself as DW would give me funny looks at the thought.

I'd go just for the free meal at a favorite restaurant and to listen to the morbid jokes that would be bound to come up. I'd probably have to go by myself as DW would give me funny looks at the thought.
Me too! :LOL:

Wanna join me? :D

I would but that's a bit of a trip from WV. With the right group of people that could turn out to be a very entertaining evening.

I would but that's a bit of a trip from WV. With the right group of people that could turn out to be a very entertaining evening.

You rang?

lurch4.jpg

Windchill is -35 so I am staying in today. Started a crock pot full of cabbage rolls this morning and have been housecleaning since then. Should be finished with the cleaning in about an hour then get myself cleaned up for cabbage rolls.

I need to quit putting off the cleaning until I can't stand it any more. It takes too long to catch up.

I need to quit putting off the cleaning until I can't stand it any more. It takes too long to catch up.

Ah, another procrastinator! I put off housecleaning too, until I invite people over, and I have the same problem with filing, laundry, ironing, ………until I run out of underwear and socks!

Back from spending a week of winter[-] refresher of cold weather survival skills[/-] camping. Solar electric and heat by woodstove, all the luxuries of life.
The falls a few miles away.

Attachments

• Waterfall 002.jpg
    Waterfall 002.jpg
    845.9 KB · Views: 17
Busy day yesterday. After taking care of the animals, made a run to the store for groceries. Then spent a few hours in the workshop setting up a dust collector for my woodworking tools. I mounted the collector on the wall almost a year ago and then other projects took me away from it. The ducting for all the tools was hard for me to get sorted out so I was a bit frustrated- funny thing, yesterday I started working on the piping and in 3 hours, got more done that I had in 2 previous days?

After that, since it was a nice, cool, 10 degrees, decided a glass of wine in the hot tub before dinner would work. Had a nice chicken and rice dish and saw we had a break in the clouds outside and the stars looked great.

Quickly set up the scope and video camera and was able to take this shot of M82, the Cigar Galaxy. The lightning bolt points to a bright supernova that only appeared a few weeks ago although the estimate I saw said the actual event was over 11 million years ago? Will want to check that but this is the first supernova I've seen.

img_1408468_0_96246c85a2525938c7a4e2d904052d30.jpg

Busy day yesterday. After taking care of the animals, made a run to the store for groceries. Then spent a few hours in the workshop setting up a dust collector for my woodworking tools. I mounted the collector on the wall almost a year ago and then other projects took me away from it. The ducting for all the tools was hard for me to get sorted out so I was a bit frustrated- funny thing, yesterday I started working on the piping and in 3 hours, got more done that I had in 2 previous days?

After that, since it was a nice, cool, 10 degrees, decided a glass of wine in the hot tub before dinner would work. Had a nice chicken and rice dish and saw we had a break in the clouds outside and the stars looked great.

Quickly set up the scope and video camera and was able to take this shot of M82, the Cigar Galaxy. The lightning bolt points to a bright supernova that only appeared a few weeks ago although the estimate I saw said the actual event was over 11 million years ago? Will want to check that but this is the first supernova I've seen.
Hi davemartin88, You are pretty much living my dream retirement. I'm building a cabin/home with a good size wood shop this summer. When that is complete I want to add a backyard observatory with a roll-off roof. The wood shop and dark sky are calling me!

Thanks for the great pictures Davemartin. Lots of nice ones on your site. And I've never seen a deck top miniature observatory before. That's a very interesting idea, though I'm sure the cost of the telescope was a lot more than the shelter for it. Too many trees and too much light around here anyway. But I do love a starry, starry night :cool:.

Thanks for the nice comments. Hermit, sure you already know this but having an observatory really makes a big difference in how often I observe. With everything nearly ready to go, from the time I decide to observe to having the camera up and running in the living room attached to the telescope is about 5 minutes. Cables are always there and the camera stays in the scope all the time. Scope is in "hibernate" mode so alignment is usually pretty close for GOTO's.

As I've gotten older, my eyesight made it very hard to observe visually, even in dark skies. Getting in to video astronomy opens it all back up, my eyepieces are almost never used anymore. If the clouds roll in, 5 minutes to shut it all down so it's not unusual to use the scope even if I only want to spend an hour or so.

Beowulf, yes, the toys are expensive but you make your choices, lol. I really like having the small dome close to the house on the deck- I can reach about 270 degrees of sky, I'm blocked to the NE but worth it to me for the convenience.

Good luck with your plans! Thanks again.

I went out and started the motorhome to take it for a spin to exercise it. Found out that the engine battery was dead, despite my adding a circuit to trickle charge it from the house batteries. The latter's charge is maintained by a big solar panel on the roof.

After spending $80 at Costco for a new battery, the motorhome started right up despite my neglect for the last 4 months. Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were bought 3 years and 20K miles ago. The existing ones still look really good, but to get new tires for free, how does one refuse that?

Last edited:
Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were bought 3 years and 20K miles ago.

I'd do it now. With my luck they'd change their minds later. And it's probably easier to get done out of season.

The recall was issued just last month. I do not think Michelin would change its mind. There are 1.3 million tires affected, and the recall process cannot be done in that short a time.

Well, it may be true that when summer starts, there might be a wait to get service.

Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were replaced 3 years and 20K miles ago. The existing ones still look really good, but to get new tires for free, how does one refuse that?
Michelin did a recall in the summer of 2012 on the BFGoodrich tires (Michelin owns BFGoodrich) on my trailer. They were under two years old and had less than 10K miles but we were about to leave for a 6 week trip when the recall was announced so I wanted them replaced quickly.

There were no BFG replacement tires available at the time so Michelin authorized my dealer to give me five (four on the ground + the spare) new Michelin tires - the same Michelin tires now being recalled. Well, almost. The recalled tires are, as you know, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LTX M/S, size LT225/75R16 while mine are [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LT235/75R16. When I first saw the recall announcement I thought I may never have to pay for trailer tires again, but not so.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Michelin sent me the recall notice in the mail. I went out to verify the tire manufacturing code and date matching what they described. Yes, they are LTX M/S LT225/75R16.

My Tough Day

Had a brutal day:

Woke up, went to the gym, had a swim, sat in the sauna...
Went home, ate breakfast, worked on updating household financial info...
Spoke with mom, went shopping, came home and had lunch...
Watched some TV, chatted with my sister, watched some more TV...
Spoke with a former co-worker complaining about challenges at "their" job.

Then I relaxed the rest of the day!

Damn, ER is tough....but somebody's got to do it! I'm honored to "take one for the team" on this one!!! 28 days and counting and...Loving It!!!:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom