what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I woke up to a balmy -6F. I can hear the porch and lower deck cringing and creaking in the cold. I knocked down a row of heavy duty icicles from the gutter edge yesterday. I used a long flexible PVC pipe to scrape off the snow cover over the ice at the 90 degree junction of the roof over the main house and the screened-in porch. I had heater wires installed on both sections when I had the roof redone in 2006, so there should be no problem with potential ice dams.

I am planning on attending a Cartoon Madness matinee today at a local historical theatre. It runs for 5 days, so if it is still too damn cold, I have choices.

I am very happy to report that I have been doing some serious exercise :dance: using my mini-stepper (legs and butt), fitness ball (core), and a 2 handled stretch band (upper body) as well as mini-barbells while on the mini-stepper.
I have an electronic nagger (alarm) set up to chime at 9 AM, in 3 successive auto-snooze periods. I watch recorded Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Roadrunner, Pepe LePew, Foghorn Leghorn, TweetyPie etc) cartoons while I do my 40 minute all over toning regimen.

So far so good...I am sticking with the daily routine. I missed only 4 days since Feb 3. It feels GREAT! No weight loss yet, but I can feel my muscles firming up and am seeing a change in the appearance of my middle pudgie. :blush:

Yesterday, I shoveled snow (again) and went to church. In the afternoon we made 6 pounds of hot Italian sausage. Then we went out to dinner to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.

Another happy anniversary wish....:flowers:

------------

Today's weather is wonderful. I'm working out in the yard wearing a tee and shorts. Getting sun on my skin feels great. :)

Last edited:
Woke to a sunny 70 degree day. DW and I walked a half an hour into El Centro to set up a CD, had a nice almuerzo (lunch) with soup, fruit juice, rice, beef, and some corn salad for $2.50. Stopped at a Mercado for oatmeal, stopped at a bakery for a few rolls, started watching our backlog of Olympics coverage, made some guacamole, and will continue to watch Olympics the rest of the day.

Nice, relaxing day here in Ecuador.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Did the $99 special CIMT test. The idea was to get a baseline thickness down. I already did the calcium score and it was a zero, so as long as my walls stay the same thickness, I'll not worry about my 'numbers'.

Oh, and from my garage to back in my garage took about 35 minutes! A local test location, efficient check-in, no insurance involvement, and a ready sonographer.

Last edited:
Took advantage of a sunny day and clear roads before the next snow. Drove to the King of Prussia Mall to walk and get some exercise without fear of slipping on ice. Can't wait for spring! More snow tonight....

As several holes in a pine tree can attest, I learned today that I need to spend a lot more time practicing before I try hunting squirrels with a revolver again.

Went for ice cream yesterday afternoon with my bromigo. Once again I am amazed at just how much ice cream a two year old can consume, especially with all the toppings.

Just received the replacement tweeters for one of my Sansui SP-3500 vintage speakers today, and also the replacements for the tweeters of both vintage Pioneer CS88. As these are not exact replacements, some electrical adjustments to the crossovers may have to be made, hopefully just minor ones.

I am one happy camper. Will be doing a lot of frequency sweeping out in the backyard tomorrow. Will be providing some updates with some photos and response curves on another thread to avoid clogging up this one.

PS. These are 40-yr old speakers, and the capacitors in the crossovers may have dried out. I will spend a bit of time to check them out carefully. Most people just replace all caps, but I am not sure if that's necessary yet.

Last edited:
Went to the gym with DW.

Called Vanguard and got the ball rolling to roll over a 457 account to there. Shoulda done that sooner.:facepalm:

Worked on moving money around. Looked at future Florida webcam and wished I could use clothesline.

Got my third and final quote for a new roof. I have seriously underestimated the cost of this project and tomorrow will look once again at repairs vs replacement,

As several holes in a pine tree can attest, I learned today that I need to spend a lot more time practicing before I try hunting squirrels with a revolver again.

I thought I heard someone shooting at trees in Central Park :cool:.

what did you do today?

Been looking for new goals in retirement, so I pulled out the old photo gear to evaluate it. Everything in good shape except the battery packs. Contacts mildly corroded and cells dead. Easy fix. My Mecablitz 45 CT 4 is down for now, til new cells come in, but I was playing with a couple of old manual flashes and having a blast; using them on a Nikon DSLR. One reason I dropped out of photography was technology made it too easy. Messing around with everything in manual mode made me remember why I fell in love with it to begin with. Figured with all our travel, a little conservation based photojournalism would keep me moving. A blog, maybe some submissions to established journals...

...at least, it will be fun.

Okay, this is a new one for me.

We got a call from the funeral home that handled FIL's funeral in December. The VA grave site marker is in and can we pick it up? Oh, and you might want to bring a truck since it is a granite slab and weighs about 200 lbs. Uh, okay.

:confused::confused:?

Turns out that DW, her sister and brother at one of the planning meetings with the funeral home had learned that FIL was eligible for this marker, having served in the Navy during WWII. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. However, it also turns out that the grave site also already has a brass or bronze marker in place and there is the very real probability/possibility that the VA marker cannot be placed there. The guy I spoke with wants to wait for the snow to melt to visually check and make sure. He'll call back next week.

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.

Sigh.

Okay, this is a new one for me.

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.

Sigh.

Save it and have it re-engraved for later use....;)

Save it and have it re-engraved for later use....;)

Donate it to a college or high school sculpture class for a budding Michelangelo to work on.

Is it that distinctive plain headstone we see at Arlington and other cemeteries? Unless that style those used by non veterans too, I wouldn't think someone who wasn't in the service would re-engrave it (and if they were, I guess they would just get their own through the VA), but maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom