what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took BART into San Francisco to meet with my tax accountant in Nob Hill. A pleasant hour was spent chatting with him while he filled out my rather simple return. As expected, I don't owe a dime :)

Came back home to the East Bay, had a quick lunch, then walked to the local pet store to work at a cat adoption fair. Spent an hour and a half in kitty heaven :)

I am now about to sit down with a cup of tea to watch another episode of Breaking Bad. Lord knows why I watch this series (and he won't tell me). With the exception of Walt's son, I don't really like any of the main characters, and find the amoral landscape they inhabit particularly uninspiring and unappealing. Nevertheless, at the end of every episode, shortly after wondering why I'm watching it, I tell myself that I will watch "just one more episode" so I can find out what happens next :facepalm:

Shows like Doc Martin, Kingdom, Inspector Morse, and Inspector Lewis are so much more pleasant to watch!

Last edited:
Last night I "closed out" my spending log for February, and in February I had accidently spent less than during any other month in recent years. Adding to that is my tax refund from the IRS. It seems that I have some money left over to play with...

So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one! But my iPhone 4 was getting kind of ratty and beat up looking, the iPhone 6 isn't out yet despite predictions months ago, and I understand that the camera in the 5s is pretty good. Verizon charged me $199 for it with a two year contract, although I also managed to get my overall monthly costs for data+phone cut back from $70 to $50 since I don't need much data.

I am downloading all my apps again, one by one, because... :blush:... well, it's a long story, having to do with not trusting the cloud, a busted laptop last winter, and forgetting to sync on the new laptop. But this is good because I had a lot of apps on my old iPhone that I never use. I can pare things down a bit.

I also got a new video game that I love (the new Professor Layton game), so between that and setting up my new iPhone I have plenty to do. Mardi Gras is Tuesday so New Orleans has descended into its usual insanity at this time of year. Let the good times roll! (Or something along those lines).... :LOL:

:dance::dance:

Attachments

• gold-iphone-5.jpg
    gold-iphone-5.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 217
So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one!

Nope. Here is my phone

Attachments

• nokia.jpg
    nokia.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: W2R
Last night I "closed out" my spending log for February, and in February I had accidently spent less than during any other month in recent years. Adding to that is my tax refund from the IRS. It seems that I have some money left over to play with...

So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one! But my iPhone 4 was getting kind of ratty and beat up looking, the iPhone 6 isn't out yet despite predictions months ago, and I understand that the camera in the 5s is pretty good. Verizon charged me $199 for it with a two year contract, although I also managed to get my overall monthly costs for data+phone cut back from $70 to $50 since I don't need much data.

I am downloading all my apps again, one by one, because... :blush:... well, it's a long story, having to do with not trusting the cloud, a busted laptop last winter, and forgetting to sync on the new laptop. But this is good because I had a lot of apps on my old iPhone that I never use. I can pare things down a bit.

I also got a new video game that I love (the new Professor Layton game), so between that and setting up my new iPhone I have plenty to do. Mardi Gras is Tuesday so New Orleans has descended into its usual insanity at this time of year. Let the good times roll! (Or something along those lines).... :LOL:

:dance::dance:

Pretty! Congrats.

Reactions: W2R
So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one! But my iPhone 4 was getting kind of ratty and beat up looking, the iPhone 6 isn't out yet despite predictions months ago, and I understand that the camera in the 5s is pretty good. Verizon charged me $199 for it with a two year contract, although I also managed to get my overall monthly costs for data+phone cut back from $70 to $50 since I don't need much data.:dance::dance:

Congrats on you new phone. I still have an iPhone 3G......Happy Mardi Gras!

Had a good time at the museum yesterday but we were only there for a few hours. Like Hermit I could spend days in there. I think I'll have to make a special trip just for the movies, which I have yet to see.

Attachments

• Air_and_space_museum-1.jpg
    Air_and_space_museum-1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Air_and_space_museum-3.jpg
    Air_and_space_museum-3.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Air_and_space_museum-4.jpg
    Air_and_space_museum-4.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Air_and_space_museum-5.jpg
    Air_and_space_museum-5.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Air_and_space_museum-11.jpg
    Air_and_space_museum-11.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 15
What a cool museum, Walt! You definitely need to make plans to return sometime when you can spend all day there.

What I have been up to: shredding and reducing my files to what I need to keep. If I don't do this every few years, my file cabinet becomes essentially a trash storage device.

I don't know if it was all the shredding and file lugging, or the (weather) front that just blew through, but somehow I threw out my back last night. Thank goodness this hardly ever happens to me. I don't see how people who frequently throw their backs out can stand it. I did manage to get about 5 hours' sleep. :(

My new iPhone is still fun, though..... :D

Went out for a late-morning walk w DH from our home to the Alameda Creek Trail, heading inland. While we were out I remembered I had a library book on reserve that came in, so I pulled out my phone (a Samsung Android phone, not an iPhone ;) ) to see if the library was open yet today -- the branch near me has various hours over the course of the week -- and yep, it was open. So we continued on to the library, where we browsed for a bit and I checked out my book. We were getting peckish, so we walked to a local diner where DH had waffles and I had french toast -- not what you'd call standard lunch fare, but their waffles & fr toast are excellent. Then we walked back home again along the AC Trail. It started sprinkling a couple of blocks from home and the rain started coming down a few minutes after we reached our house - have we got timing or what?

It was about 3 miles from our home to the library, another mile to the diner, and about 3.5 back to our home. I figure a seven & a half mile walk allows us waffles & french toast for lunch. And an afternoon nap. :)

Last edited:
My kind of day. Couple inches of ice last night, a bit of snow on top. DH built a fire in fireplace (love the guy!) I read a bit, puttered around the house some.

Booked a vrbo place in Algiers Point, LA for a few nights in May.

Split a meatball sub with DH at a nearby pizza joint for dinner...and some beer.

what did you do today?

The voltage regulator for my camera - which permits the use of older, high voltage flash equipment on newer digital cameras without burning out the camera circuits - came in today, and I had to try it out. Haven't shot complicated flash since the mid 90s, but I popped two flashes on the camera, one bounced off the ceiling for key light and the second at about 1/8 power for fill, and got a very nice portrait of my wife reading. Unfortunately, she rarely gives me permission to publish her photo, so here's a photo of the camera rig instead - courtesy of my iPad lol

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1393981273.889715.jpg

For those interested, the regulator sits on top the hotshoe, and both flashes plug into it, rather than the camera directly.

I'll have to try the studio flashes at a later date, after pulling them out of storage.

Last edited:
Today I went to the Credit Union and opened a Money Market account with some of the $$$ I got from my Thrift Saving Plan (TSP). I also transferred $$$ from my CU Savings into this new account which will be used for medical emergencies, car replacement and taxes (in case I have to pay additional taxes from TSP withdrawal). I didn't want everything in my Vanguard MM which holds money earmarked for emergencies, vacation, and house. Then I went to Applebee's to buy garlic mashed potatoes because I'm making Shepard Pie and didn't feel like mashing.

At a Diamondbacks - Royals spring training game :cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    644.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Huh the Royals train? Glad you attached a photo.
MRG

Last edited:
Only in alternate years ��. Actually, they are ahead 1 to 0, top of the 3rd.

Cassie - how'd the pie turn out?

It was very good, I hadn't made Shepard's Pie or had ground lamb in awhile, so it was a treat. I'm having trouble posting the picture and will try again later. Thanks for asking.

Slept in until 9:30. That hasn't happened for a while!

DW is gone for a couple of days staying with the 14-year-old daughter of her cousin who went to her mother's funeral in Oregon. The 14-year-old is a bright and sweet kid, no issues, so no problem. She doesn't really need any looking after, it's just that one doesn't leave a 14-year-old girl in the house by herself for three days.

Went to the gym then banged on a stuck partially broken sheer pin in the snow thrower for a half hour before giving up and taking it to a shop, and since it was there anyway told 'em to go ahead and make the adjustments to the friction wheel, replace it if needed, the auger brake, and do the other servicing that I normally do. But it'll save me spending half a day working on it. Maybe I just need a bigger hammer.

New battery for the UPS for the computer. Never did make it to Lowes for the house stuff since I got such a late start.

With the luxury of time, drove over to a mall, got a pair of tennis shoes at 40 percent off.

Went for a walk in the woods and took some photos. Gotta do some packing tonight - our son has a performance in Columbus Ohio [CATCO] we want to see tomorrow.

Spent day at my camp. Still 8" of snow, starting to see traces of the creek, which was totally frozen over. Saw a black ferret hiking along the creek side. Scooting along niceley on the hard packed snow cover.

Went to a going away lunch with former workers last Friday. There have been several recently. The boss asked if I might consider returning. I respectfully declined. :D

Transported a rocking chair and footstool to DW's expectant neice's house. The chair was a gift from the baby shower a couple of weeks ago but was too big for a car (or at least very awkward) and my pickup truck has a cap over the bed that made it in DW's eyes the perfect transport vehicle. Actually a good day, SIL went with us and we all went out to lunch at a nearby Italian restaurant, the niece insisted on buying since we brought her chair over.

Tomorrow's forecast is for 60°. I will definitely be spending some time in the seat of the motorcycle.

Played 1 round of golf in the morning and could not finish 2nd round in the afternoon. That's 3rd straight times that I felt too tired and quit 2nd round before the sun went down. And I rode cart for both rounds. Note to myself ... better get in shape.

Weather finally got warm enough for grilling outside. What a relief! My BGE and I missed each other terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom