what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is about men over a certain age - - so many seem absolutely determined to spend a lot of time up on the roof. Maybe they feel closer to their supreme being up there.

Like Major Tom I enjoyed the rooftop view at my old house, just because it was different. The one we're in now has a much steeper pitch and the closest I've been to the roof is cleaning out the gutter drains. No temptation at all to go up on this one.

For that I'll hire some [-]stupid[/-] young guy.

Trying to migrate from paid subscription antivirus SW to the free stuff. Norton doesn't want to let go and has crashed my computer. Not sure how long it'll take to get things working again. :facepalm:

Like Major Tom I enjoyed the rooftop view at my old house, just because it was different. The one we're in now has a much steeper pitch and the closest I've been to the roof is cleaning out the gutter drains. No temptation at all to go up on this one.

For that I'll hire some [-]stupid[/-] young guy.
Yes - similar position here. The house I'm in now has a much steeper roof than my old one and is on an incline, so there would be a long way to fall. It's a shame, because the landlord has given me the go ahead to put ham antennas up there, but I'm too much of a chicken to climb up.

Got up at 3:30am and went to watch the sun rise over Mt Bromo, East Java.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394888322483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394888322483.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 15
Interesting picture. Is that a volcano on the left?

Volcanoes in the background, midground, left, and foreground! That is Mt Bromo on the left, steaming away.

Last edited:
That's really impressive.

Just got home from picking up DW, who finished her first half-marathon. She is so incredibly pumped up about it that I've hardly ever seen her like this.

It took me a couple of decades to gently nudge her into the exercise mode, but now she's definitely there. I'll be smirking quietly for the next couple of years. :cool:

Easy day at the gym. Well, "easy" is a relative term. But today it just didn't seem that hard, the heart rate was somewhat lower than normal, and on almost every machine I added extra weight. I'm one prone to "pushing the envelope" there, not the guy reading a magazine or with earbuds.

And I feel better than I have for quite a while.

Apparently this regular exercise stuff actually works.

All this and it hasn't even been six months yet. Okay, I'm sold.

Took the grandson bike riding to the nearby Panera Bread for lunch. He's just learning to ride, and he found hills to be daunting. Well, so did I; I walk a lot, but that doesn't use the same muscles...

We use our gas grill out on the porch all through the winter. It's a little cold running out there to put the meat on, but it's worth a little discomfort to have grilled food.

Mine is on our deck right outside the sliding glass door so all I have to do is open the sliding glass door, open the grill cover and turn the meat. Easy - do it in my slippers.

Last edited:
I haven't been out of the house since 10am Saturday and no real reason to go out today. I wonder if that's unusual? When I was working I looked forward to the weekends, now that I'm retired I look forward to the weekdays...go figure. I'm joining a walking group on Tuesdays & Fridays, so at least I know I won't be in all week :) & I've got plenty to keep me busy at home...today I'm balancing my budget and making calls to set up estimates for my driveway.

Nuerogist appointment, now I get to go to pain management for an occipital nerve block. She's determined to get my cluster headaches to be a non-issue. We talked about my dizziness too, impressed by what the balance therapist wrote up.

Per the balance therapist I also went to the mall to ride the escalators. Really didn't have any issues, with escalator after 30 minutes I left.

MRG

Found something green to wear. Will cook greens for dinner. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

BTW, it is St. Patrick's Day, or Paddy's Day. None of this nonsense about patties, which are hamburgers. :LOL:

Today brings back memories of the drunken binges I experienced every March 17th with my Irish buddies back east years ago. St Paddie's day was always a hoot and a gigantic headache the next day. I wonder if that old gang still does this stuff? I don't anymore...:cool:

Today brings back memories of the drunken binges I experienced every March 17th with my Irish buddies back east years ago. St Paddie's day was always a hoot and a gigantic headache the next day. I wonder if that old gang still does this stuff? I don't anymore...:cool:

Green beer!!!

In college, my ROTC detachment participated in the annual St. Patrick's Day parade up Fifth Avenue in NYC every year. Full military uniform.

We formed up on 40th Street, took our place in the parade and marched up to the end at 86th Street. For those not familiar with NYC, a city block is 1/20 of a mile. I remember at least one year when we marched in about three inches of snow/slush. Combined with the horse droppings, that made for an intensive session the next day to get the spit shine back on our shoes.

OK, parade over, so what do you do next. Well, you're at 86th Street, known as the Yorktown district, full of good German bars. Then, with 2 or 3 friends, I would cross over to Third Avenue and walk all the way back down to Union Square (14th Street) to get the subway. We made it our practice to stop in nearly every Irish bar on Third Avenue. Third Avenue was noted for the number of Irish bars.

Wearing our uniforms, it was frequently difficult to pay for our beers. Patriotism was rampant in those days.

By the time we got to Union Square, we generally concluded that it had been a fine, fine day.

Yes we were traveling and in our hotel. The next days drive, 12 hours to get home was painfully sober.
MRG

I haven't been out of the house since 10am Saturday and no real reason to go out today. I wonder if that's unusual?

Not really unusual, I've done it but try (sort of) to not make it a habit. Now we have the incentive to go to the gym at least every other day.

As the weather gets more habitable we'll be out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom