what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got back from a week -end at Cape Kennedy space center . It was very interesting seeing the launch pad & the shuttle Atlantis plus the Imax film on repairing the Hubble telescope was amazing . Good week-end !
I'm envious - sounds like a great trip!

I think I would have frequent range anxiety with the Leaf but not with the Volt.
Me, too. I'd think the Volt was the better option because otherwise you need a second car for long trips.

I think I would have frequent range anxiety with the Leaf but not with the Volt.
Same here.

Haven't seen the Leaf in person but I did have a chance to check out the Volt. I really liked it but it is sorely lacking when it comes to headroom in the rear seats, and I'm not tall. Wouldn't think anyone larger than a couple of middle school age kids could be comfortable back there.

We also test drove the Ford hybrids today. Nice cars but no battery only mode ( they didn't have the Energi). Personally, I want the car for local only driving - no gas usage - and either the Volt or Leaf would work. We like the ergonomics of the Leaf better, and it has more zip. DW wants to make the drive from Cincinnati to Columbus with it. The Leaf would require a 20 minute quick charge on both legs. The Volt, no problem. I'd rather have something larger on the highway other than a compact size vehicle - like my truck - and not worry about fuel milage. Other than the occasional Columbus treks, and Rv trips, we could generally drive gas free.

We also test drove the Ford hybrids today. Nice cars but no battery only mode ( they didn't have the Energi). Personally, I want the car for local only driving - no gas usage - and either the Volt or Leaf would work. We like the ergonomics of the Leaf better, and it has more zip. DW wants to make the drive from Cincinnati to Columbus with it. The Leaf would require a 20 minute quick charge on both legs. The Volt, no problem. I'd rather have something larger on the highway other than a compact size vehicle - like my truck - and not worry about fuel milage. Other than the occasional Columbus treks, and Rv trips, we could generally drive gas free.
Prius has a plug-in model this year. It is only good for 11 miles, but for a lot of retirees that would do for a lot of the around town driving. If you have never experienced a Prius, they aren't bad on the road. My DD has an older Prius with over 100k miles on it. Runs like a top. No major mechanical issues. I don't think the plug-in Prius is much cheaper than the Leaf, so that wouldn't be a major point, but if you tried the Ford, you might want to try the Prius.

11 a day 365 days a year?

I've been at a local shearing where he did 150 alpacas in two days and the shearing season lasts quite a few months. He starts down south as the weather warms up and works his way back north. Maybe some sheep and goats are included in that number as well and I misundertood how many alpacas it included. Many farms have more than one type of animal so that might contribute to the count but had no reason to doubt the number. Maybe you have experience that says otherwise.

Thanks Hermit. My wife drove a friends Prius to Cleveland from Cincinnati, and she didn't like the ergonomics as much. My brother also gets the Ford employee discount, so that helps.

what did you do today?

Arranged to have my handyman install a new side door at my house sometime this spring. SOME might say that makes no sense at all, since I am probably going to be moving in the next few years. But I am underspending and this is what I really really want for some reason so sensible or not, I am going to do it.

Arranged to have my handyman install a new side door at my house sometime this spring. SOME might say that makes no sense at all, since I am probably going to be moving in the next few years. But I am underspending and this is what I really really want for some reason so sensible or not, I am going to do it.

Go for it! If you want something, what difference does it make if it makes no sense to someone else?

Go for it! If you want something, what difference does it make if it makes no sense to someone else?

That's what I'm thinking. This is one of the big advantages to not being married. :ROFLMAO:

I am having a new metal door put in that won't stick or blow open, and I am having my handyman put in one of those keypad deadbolts. That will be so handy at times.

Took the corvette for the first ride of the year, bought some brewing supplies and some woodworking carving gouges.
With the crazy weather that we've been having here our vettes are still in hibernation. I'm jealous of your ride. Maybe next week we'll get out. :dance:

I got a very exciting phone call from "The IRS". Special Agent Rodgers informed me (with a very strong Desi accent, BTW) that I had been named in a tax fraud case! I could avoid the expense and difficulty of having to travel to Washington if I were to settle the case today, by going to the local CVS pharmacy and wiring $5,241 simolas to a Netspend account.

Huh. I guess the IRS doesn't have access to the Treasury Department any more...

Anywho, Mr. Special Agent Rodgers read me his phone number when I asked for his badge number. It matched the Caller ID number from Milton, Florida, where his VIOP call entered The Phone System. Gosh, I guess the IRS lost access to that fancy phone system in DC, too, huh? Mr. Special Agent Rodgers reassured me that this was "perfectly normal" for all calls from the IRS.

Riiiiight.

If you haven't guessed, yes, this is a scam. The IRS will never call. They are huge fans of the Post Office. I didn't give him any personal information, and I did add his number to the phone killfile. Not that it will slow them down.

Somewhere in India there's a sweatshop packed with dozens of people and VIOP autodialers going through every number in the US (and Canada, with a different script). These folks are probably getting paid a pittance compared to what their bosses are hauling in.

It was an interesting personal contact with organized crime for me.

I got a phone call from the college I graduated from in 1973 today. I can't imagine how they found me after 41 years of being away and not setting foot on the campus in all that time. The gal on the call asked me if I had been there to see the new parking structure they need money to complete and the student housing they have broken ground for.

Well, I said I paid my tuition, graduated, and left the state and that I had no interest in ever coming back to see the new parking garage, let alone sending a check in for its completion.

I still don't know how these people found me after all this time. :confused:

I got a phone call from the college I graduated from in 1973 today. I can't imagine how they found me after 41 years of being away and not setting foot on the campus in all that time. .....
I had a similar call a few years ago. It was supposedly a student there now that just wanted me to relate my favorite memories about going to school there. I told her about the dean refusing to meet with me to clarify changes that had been made that could delay granting me my ME degree and how pi$$ed off I still am about it. Then I hung up. No call since. :LOL:

aja8888--

It is amazing how the Alumni Offices at colleges and universities can find "lost" graduates, even after decades of no contact. I truly believe their investigative techniques and talents could put the FBI to shame. I have changed jobs, residences, and states over the past 45 years--yet regular as clockwork I will hear from them, either by phone or with an alumni magazine filled with people and things I don't know or could care less about. And no amount of rudeness or ignoring seems to dissuade them.
prof12

aja8888--

It is amazing how the Alumni Offices at colleges and universities can find "lost" graduates, even after decades of no contact. I truly believe their investigative techniques and talents could put the FBI to shame. I have changed jobs, residences, and states over the past 45 years--yet regular as clockwork I will hear from them, either by phone or with an alumni magazine filled with people and things I don't know or could care less about. And no amount of rudeness or ignoring seems to dissuade them.
prof12

Yes, it seems that way. No wonder the colleges and universities today have so much money. Around here where we have several large universities, there are building expansions at every one.

The young wife got her BS from one college and an MAT and then MS from two other schools, and I went to two entirely different schools for my BS and JD. So we get five of these calls per year. In my experience, it is generally college kids calling us, who are only doing it because it is part of their work study for financial aid. So I don't give them a hard time about it, although I usually do interrupt early on to say "I'll bet you're calling to ask for a donation." They always say yes, and then I tell them to sign me up for the same amount I gave last year (we give $100 to each school). It saves them the embarrassment of having to chat up old people and saves my time as well.

Last edited:
Did my usual skating routine this morning. On the way out the counter lady reminded me that only one more week of skating left. Darn, time flies when I'm having fun. So on the 11th my 3x/week of figure skating will come to a screeching halt. Until mid September when the rink re-opens.

On the positive side, the truly yukky weather prevented mental conflict. Great Kayaking day, do I go kayaking or skating? Now I can extract the Kayak from the grage and put it on the rack next to the driveveway, for cleanup and pre season inspection.

In the summer I do get in one day a week of skating after kayaking in the morning. The Johnstown rink's public session starts around noon. Them are good workout days. A twofer.

Reagrding previous college solicitations noted, I do get occasional money begging. Never send them a dime. I was full fare Freddie, paid the full fare up front, in cash before each semester. One year had a good bit of money problems, so asked for a bit a financial aid. I got laughed out of office. They noted I worked full time and made fairly good money.

I occasionally remind them that, yes, I did work full time, made reasonably good money and completed my BS in five years with honours, prepaid, but the one time I asked for help the answer was no. Not sure they catch my drift, as they keep asking for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom