what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We used to call dead trees, broken down limbs etc. "widow makers", for a very good reason. Be careful.

I could have taken them down myself, but I called the pros for these because of their size and proximity to the house.

I have a bunch more that are not as big and farther away. I'll probably take a few down myself this fall, but most of them will be fine taking their natural course.

I hate to cut down a tree because even during all the stages of its death and decomposition it provides habitat for many different kinds of critters.

DW had her quilt group over for a meeting so I helped her clean the house this morning. Mid day I was visiting my Mom and turned my ankle. probably just a simple sprain but sore as all get out, so I relaxed and iced it for the afternoon. Now sitting out on my deck and my neighbor a couple houses down the road (~150' or so away) is playing his banjo and the sound carries great over the water. Luckily, he's pretty good so it is enjoyable.

Went out and looked at another house some flippers want a loan on - they buy at remarkable prices, have a great vision/taste/execution team, and sell fast and at good prices. Ordered some Thai food and called them up and arranged to loan on three of their flips. For unknown reasons we are very comfortable loaning 20x what makes us stew and fret on index fund purchases. Should bring in about 13% annualized for the next 4 months. Meanwhile we are buying 2/3 total US and 1/3 total foreign at 10k a week for the next 2 1/2 months. SO insists on updating stock prices daily, even though I insist that is just a way of creating pain with an investment designed to have NOTHING done with it for years.

Readying the upstairs of our garage for a visitor next month and spent some time up there admiring the work we did 15 years ago - very calming restful spot with some smart stuff, like the 5 gallon 120v water heater under the sink that can be switched on or off and the gym floor finished subfloor as a finished floor with oriental carpet. Looked great once we beat back the cobwebs and pottery studio dust.

Spent the afternoon and evening photographing guitars. Examples on the photo thread, so I won't duplicate them here...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

............I hate to cut down a tree because even during all the stages of its death and decomposition it provides habitat for many different kinds of critters.
Me, too. I try to keep a dead tree standing, but the ash trees don't stand long and in our area have causes lots of power failures because they topple over the power lines.

Did they meet in the middle?
Not sure...but they sent me home with a series of photos taken during the procedure. I thought it strange that the last photo from the group labeled "colonoscopy" was this:

Attachments

• Colonsoscopy 23.jpg
    Colonsoscopy 23.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 202
As a result of Davemartin88's post I spent a good part of yesterday and today looking up stuff on CNC router machines. While they're not quite ready for the person not willing to spend considerable time learning to use one they're getting there. And while they're still a bit expensive for a hobbyist the prices are well below five figures. I saw several around $3k for what looked like solid, usable machines.

Walt34, you're right, still a bit of a science experiment in some areas but if you have time to devote, you can make some amazing stuff. So far, I've just scratched the surface of what the machines and software can do. I've done a few small projects like signs for some local people and for some of the charity efforts we're involved with as well. I've made a few gifts for people as well and I enjoy the time spent.

I had a portable sawmill for a number of years that I ran as a part time job to support my workshop and hobbies. I sold the mill last year and was able to recover almost everything I had paid for it so decided to use some of the money to buy the router. I can't justify it financially but I still like having it!

Thanks to all for the nice comments on the photo I carved, as I do more, will try to post a few more examples.

Thanks to all for the nice comments on the photo I carved, as I do more, will try to post a few more examples.
Will be looking forward to more posts of examples, Dave. I sent the Photocarve program idea to my son, who has a home built CNC router. He was quite interested. So far he's using it mostly for RC airplane parts and guitar bodies.

Thanks for sharing the pretty and unique work.

Had to learn about contra expenses today.

DH just started doing independent consulting and I've been working out how to keep track of him income, expenses and reimbursable expenses.

Took me awhile to figure out that expense reimbursement wasn't income but rather a contra expense... who knew? Not this financially allergic project manager!

But I guess if I can learn about Index funds I can learn about contra expenses :)

Got up at o-dark-thirty to drive husband (that still sounds weird) to airport after two week visit.
Didn't go for daily walk because it rained most of the day.
Roof has a new leak.

Got up at o-dark-thirty to drive husband (that still sounds weird) to airport after two week visit.
Didn't go for daily walk because it rained most of the day.
Roof has a new leak.

Hi Khan, good to hear from you. When are you moving to Florida?

Not sure, we're negotiating.
December '15 at latest.

DW's niece and her baby came to SIL's for a visit, of course DW wanted to go, and since we had nothing else planned spent the day over there.

This is Rex:

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
Spent some time in the workshop. Did a couple of new lithographs carved from Corian and made a frame from some cherry wood. I ordered some LED's and controllers to light the frame from the back but they are coming from China so may be a few days. These are from pictures of my mom and dad in the early 40's, just after they were married.

img_1485105_0_671cbe5b808aa17e97239ab592b98057.jpg

Great shot, love the lighting!

Thanks, in that one it is some window lighting but there are two Nikon SB-900's, one on an end table and one on the fireplace mantel, both bouncing off the wall/ceiling behind me. That way those become the light source, not the strobes themselves and you get that even lighting.

Shoot in manual to match the light outside so the windows don't get blown out (just a big blob of light if anyone doesn't know what that means) and the strobes follow along in TTL.

Of course then they pick up the color of the wall and I use a shot of an X-rite Colorchecker to correct for that in Lightroom.

This is DW holding the baby and her niece.

And this is why DW doesn't complain about the absurd amounts of money I spend on photo gear and software. She loves the results.

Attachments

• Colorchecker.jpg
    Colorchecker.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DW_and_Rex.jpg
    DW_and_Rex.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 35
Started giving the chainsaw a workout. When I had the huge ash trees taken down a few days ago, I had them chip and remove all the branches, and leave me the logs cut in about 8' lengths. (It was a lot cheaper that way than having them cut the trees into fireplace lengths).

Now it will probably take about a week to cut all those logs into fireplace length and stack them to season for a year or so before splitting. Fortunately, my local dealer only charges $7 to sharpen a chain, which I consider well worth it.

....Now it will probably take about a week to cut all those logs into fireplace length and stack them to season for a year or so before splitting. ...

Isn't it better to cut and split it and then stack it since there is more surface area of the split wood that is exposed to air and drys out quicker? That's the thinking around here.

A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - How To Prepare Your Fuel Supply

Keep in mind that firewood only begins to dry seriously once it is cut and split to the right size because in log form the moisture is held in by the bark.

Spent some time in the workshop. Did a couple of new lithographs carved from Corian and made a frame from some cherry wood. I ordered some LED's and controllers to light the frame from the back but they are coming from China so may be a few days. These are from pictures of my mom and dad in the early 40's, just after they were married.

img_1485535_0_671cbe5b808aa17e97239ab592b98057.jpg

They make a handsome couple. What a nice keepsake. I need to find some kind of creative hobby.

We went to see "The Hundred Foot Journey" today, following up on "Chef," which we saw on Tuesday. Very different. Much more story in tonight's movie, great acting in both. And both had exquisitely photographed food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom