what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the day visiting the zoo with the grandkids and their parents. Brought along a picnic lunch for a most enjoyable time. It helped that the kids were on their best behaviour and had a great time.

On the ride back home DW and I discussed not buying any more stuff for DD or her children, instead using the holiday gift money to buy annual memberships in a couple of the local museums or zoo.

I remembered to log on here. :D

Summer has been fabulous here, east of the middle of nowhere. We've had an unusually warm summer with lots of intense thunderstorm activity. My power surges (hot flashes) have kept me indoors in temps above 80, enjoying nice cool AC.

I turned 56 yesterday...which means I am now eligible for my FERS MRA+10 deferred pension. :dance: I filled out the paperwork and will send it in tomorrow. I could wait until I'm 62 to draw it, but I am of the "bird in the hand" camp. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Mr B helped me analyze the tax ramifications of the increased taxable income, which will be negligible. I will remain in the 25% tax bracket. If I add my after-tax pension payment to my already existing VWALX mutual fund, I can use it as a multiplier to earn some pretty serious TE dividends, on a 30 day compounding basis.

The loss of 5% per year (by drawing my pension at age 56) for every year I am under age 62 will be partially offset by the compounding power of the 30 day dividends earned in VWALX. Not completely, but again, a bird in the hand...:cool:

After 1 year of investing my pension, I will then be in a better position to loosen up the budget purse strings. I also have a 4 year plan in mind to purchase some waterfront property in the NYS Finger Lakes wine country, perhaps near Ithaca. I am looking at relocating from the lake effect snow belt from hell by age 60. :D

The chuckle factor I am getting from planning to use my hard earned pension to buy a lifelong dream house on the water at age 60 is immense. >:D

Last edited:
On my way to our camp on the lake. 75 degrees, sunshine, and after the Labor Day crowds. 6000 sites, and there won't be 200 in use today, and maybe 50 tomorrow. SO!!! I am king of the lake, to canoe, and ue my paddle boat. Also... a sevral hour ride around the 43 miles of road and 13 miles of trails... and to explore the newly opened 3 miles by the river.
Afternoon will be sleep time. Bought 10 favorite CD's for $.10 each, so looking forward to another return to the 60's and 70's with my favorite artists.
Tonite, first dip into the 40's or low 50's, so bringing along my flannel bunnies.
Cheers... A great day ahead!!! :dance:

Just returned from a 6 day circle Lake Michigan driving trip. Drove yesterday from Sturgeon Bay, Wi through Milwaukee to home with several stops along the way. Visited several lighthouses along the lake. Yesterday was clear enough to easily see Milwaukee from Port Washington more than 25 miles away.

I remembered to log on here. :D

I turned 56 yesterday...

Happy Birthday! And congratulations on making it to your goal for your pension.

I recently passed 59 1/2. That's significant for some people, I remember my Dad retiring at exactly 59.5 when he could start withdrawing from his TIRA without penalties. I only have ROTHs and not planning any withdrawls so not a big deal.

But at 60 I'll get my Ohio Golden Buckeye Card (senior discount card) and the monthly fee at the natatorium will go from $40/mo to $30/mo. WooHoo!

But at 60 I'll get my Ohio Golden Buckeye Card (senior discount card) and the monthly fee at the natatorium will go from $40/mo to $30/mo. WooHoo!

I studied Latin in high school but had to check to verify that I remembered the correct translation. Enjoy your swimming, Sue!

I studied Latin in high school but had to check to verify that I remembered the correct translation. Enjoy your swimming, Sue!

It does have 3 pools, a water slide, lazy river and kids splash area but I go there to walk on the 1/8th mile indoor track. The track is on the upper level and as you walk around you get a view of everything else going on in the place. It's a lovely facility and very convenient.

The Natatorium - Home

Last edited:
A little while ago I tried on my skinny jeans and was able to get them buttoned and zipped!

(ok, so I had to lay on the bed and when I got up my circulation was cut off. I put them back in the closet considering I prefer blood flow)

Hopefully in a couple of months I can wear them without blowing a gasket. :LOL:

So where are the pictures? All the wriggling makes for a good workout.:D

In other news I was in a Sears store for the first time in 20+ years. Necessary trip, my $3.- garage sale rotozip copy by Craftsman required a special router bit. AND got the last one they had in the store on sale!

Last edited:
Started the morning early - met with younger son's school counselor to get his schedule rearranged - they moved his schedule to give him the most advanced english and social studies... They hadn't checked his previous test scores from last year - he's a great test taker. (The kid can fill in a bubble with the best of them.) I'm happy for a few reasons - more academic rigor with the new schedule... and since this is a large middle school, new to him, he'll naturally fall in with the smart nerd kids - which is totally the social group I want him to hang out with.

Went to Italian class - we got back our first test. I was sure I'd blown some stuff on it - but I must not have... My grade was the highest in the class. Woo hoo. (You could have knocked me over with a feather... I was *not* expecting that.)

Came home ... and studied Italian because this is not easy for me. I don't know why I thought I could pick up a language in my 50's.

I am having a week or 2 off.

In Kokopo in Papua New Guinea for the World War 1 centenary on 11 September.

This morning I played golf. This boy aged about 9/10 offered to caddy for me. I thought he was going to carry the bag but on the first tee he took a ball and the 3 wood from my bag and proceeded to tee off.

I am left handed - I asked him if he was left handed, he said, no, he was right handed. I said my clubs were left handed. He said, he would try them anyway.

He proceeded to thrash me despite playing with left handed clubs.

Interesting morning.

Here is the 6th green with the volcano in the background (volcano is quiet today).

Attachments

• Kokopo 6th green.jpg
    Kokopo 6th green.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 27
Started the morning early - met with younger son's school counselor to get his schedule rearranged - they moved his schedule to give him the most advanced english and social studies... They hadn't checked his previous test scores from last year - he's a great test taker. (The kid can fill in a bubble with the best of them.) I'm happy for a few reasons - more academic rigor with the new schedule... and since this is a large middle school, new to him, he'll naturally fall in with the smart nerd kids - which is totally the social group I want him to hang out with.

Went to Italian class - we got back our first test. I was sure I'd blown some stuff on it - but I must not have... My grade was the highest in the class. Woo hoo. (You could have knocked me over with a feather... I was *not* expecting that.)

Came home ... and studied Italian because this is not easy for me. I don't know why I thought I could pick up a language in my 50's.

The smart ones are merely more creative in their trouble making. Trust me - I know from experience...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I've started my Emergency Response Training classes, six weeks, with homework, even! This is for a volunteer gig.

Meanwhile, I'm feeding Constipated Cat his laxatives. He's also been moved to a high fiber diet, a special diet that involves his eating fewer plastic bags, curtains, and similar such items. :nonono: (Yes, he's been to the vet. This is all done under doctor's orders.)

(Generic LOLCAT very similar to Constipated Cat, but this is pretty much what he looked like a few minutes ago.)
lolcatsdotcomksr87i8le7k6ilaq.jpg

If I get a chance, I may look for leather gauntlets or long welding gloves this evening...

The cardiac rehab I'm in usually runs 18 to 36 weeks. They're going to "kick me out" in four since it "would have no further benefit" to me.:dance:

Reactions: W2R
I whacked back the pumpkin vine that was taking over the back yard, buried two weeks' worth of compost, took two mile walk, made salads.

photos

Attachments

• 2014-09-05 15.00.11.jpg
    2014-09-05 15.00.11.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
I took a leisurely 500 mile drive north to central Oklahoma. Spending two days with a few oil wells. Then home Friday. It's all downhill from here! :D

The cardiac rehab I'm in usually runs 18 to 36 weeks. They're going to "kick me out" in four since it "would have no further benefit" to me.:dance:

Glad you're doing so well.

Just spent four days stripping wallpaper, as well as chunks of sizing and drywall lol. Now several days work skimming with drywall compound, sanding, and painting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Day 1 of a several day driveway entrance gate install. Dug 1 post hole, took delivery of the gate and put it in the garage until I get the posts set in concrete

Glad to hear that Walt!
I am making a vegetable curry in the crockpot...added tomatoes and one orange jalapeno pepper to it from our garden :)
I am going to paint the four plywood owls DH cut out for me with the jigsaw...put them on our huge oak tree out front.
Regular house work and lots of surfing the internet with copious amounts of coffee :)
BTW...I signed up for a Woodworking class starting in two weeks...very excited about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom