what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent most of ten hours installing nine linear feet of backsplash - remodeling the kitchen. A lot of work with the wet saw needed...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

At cardiac rehab class I gave serious thought to breaking into a run on the treadmill instead of just upping the walk speed, the last exercise before stopping. I haven't run in decades - two decades ago the knee surgeon said "You can walk, swim, bicycle. Do not run."

Think I'll do it Wednesday. My knee will probably hurt like hell the next day but I'm gonna do it anyway.

At cardiac rehab class I gave serious thought to breaking into a run on the treadmill instead of just upping the walk speed, the last exercise before stopping. I haven't run in decades - two decades ago the knee surgeon said "You can walk, swim, bicycle. Do not run."

Think I'll do it Wednesday. My knee will probably hurt like hell the next day but I'm gonna do it anyway.

I wouldn't break into a run. My dr told me not to run either. I have found that a fast walking speed on the treadmill at an increased grade gives me a cardio workout similar to that of running, yet without the knee pain.

If you had a total knee replacement it's not a good idea to run on it, according to the last time I looked at the research. It can lead to weakening of the prosthesis due to increased joint reaction forces.

Renewed driver's license two weeks late.
Cooked a marvelous chicken.
Observed two white squirrels on front lawn.

What kind of stuff sells?

I just started doing this so I am not sure yet what will actually sell. I looked at the sold prices on eBay for ideas. I bought a vintage wood game still in the original box yesterday for $1 that sells for $20 without the box to $60 with the box on eBay. It is not a quit your day job kind of hobby but I think with 200 items bought at $1 a piece it would be hard to not at least make a little extra spending money each year doing something I find fun. This weekend I also bought a new Nordstroms evening bag with the tags still on for $1.

Today I cleaned up a shaved ice maker I bought at thrift shop and made myself a pineapple snow cone. I like snow cones so I'm keeping that. I am going to freeze some chocolate almond milk in ice cube trays for tomorrow's dessert.

I also bought the Costco membership deal today on Living Social - $55 with a $20 cash back plus ~$30 in TP, deli chicken and an apple pie.

Last edited:
I just started doing this so I am not sure yet what will actually sell. I looked at the sold prices on eBay for ideas. I bought a vintage wood game still in the original box yesterday for $1 that sells for $20 without the box to $60 with the box on eBay. It is not a quit your day job kind of hobby but I think with 200 items bought at $1 a piece it would be hard to not at least make a little extra spending money each year doing something I find fun. This weekend I also bought a new Nordstroms evening bag with the tags still on for $1.

I have been selling on ebay for years . I started just selling items from my house . Vintage china sells especially if you sell it one or two items at a time .Art deco jewelry sells . Collectibles not so much . I had a set of chintz dishes that were my MIL's . I made two thousand from selling them piece by piece .Antique fishing lures sell for decent money . You can basically sell anything you just need to be knowledgeable about it . A few years ago I sold my SO's comic collection . He had a Kiss magazine that sold for $100. It is a fun & lucrative hobby .The more positive reviews you have the more money you make since people have more trust in you .

Last edited:
I have been selling on ebay for years . I started just selling items from my house . Vintage china sells especially if you sell it one or two items at a time .Art deco jewelry sells . Collectibles not so much . I had a set of chintz dishes that were my MIL's . I made two thousand from selling them piece by piece .Antique fishing lures sell for decent money . You can basically sell anything you just need to be knowledgeable about it . A few years ago I sold my SO's comic collection . He had a Kiss magazine that sold for $100. It is a fun & lucrative hobby .The more positive reviews you have the more money you make since people have more trust in you .

That is really interesting on the china. I see a lot of that but am unsure of what would sell. I am far from knowledgeable but I find the treasure hunting aspects fun. I started going to thrift shops and garage sales to furnish some new digs for one of the kids. I was kind of amazed at what I could get for so little money - some of it brand new items with the tags still on. I found some vintage purses nicer than the ones in the glass cases at the thrift shops that people were willing to sell for around $1 each. I think $200 will be enough to fund inventory at a cute little Etsy store.

I bought some Pyrex bowls for $1 each to put water out for the wildlife in the backyard and just for grins looked those up on eBay - and they turned out to be collectibles, too, selling on eBay for a premium. That was weird. Who knew people collected 30 year old Pyrex? I just wanted something the dog and squirrels couldn't break.

Last edited:
I love etsy but I think you will get more traffic using ebay . If you go to ebay on the first page that shows up after you sign in .It usually says my ebay . Go to the very bottom of the page on the right hand side it will say Community . There is discussion groups . I really learned a lot especially from the purse ladies . They will tell you how to spot fakes and how to authenticate a purse . Plus the other sellers will give you hints on what is selling .

Last edited:
Just got back from my second stint at the gym since my ER began. Haven't touched weights yet, just focusing on cardio. 30 minutes on the bike, then 30 minutes on the treadmill, keeping my heart rate in the 150-160 BPM range. Having been in the construction trade I was already in what I thought was decent shape, but this is kicking the **** out of me. But I'm newly retired and it is a most pleasurable **** kicking. :cool:

After the gym, walked over to the veggie market to gather supplies for the nice dinner I am making for DW. Having a hard time wiping the grin off my face in the last few days. :D

Tried running on the treadmill at the gym for about one minute, just to try it out. Now, this afternoon, I remember why the knee surgeon told me not to run.:facepalm:

My knee hurts. Not terribly, just enough to remind me to not attempt that foolishness again.:LOL:

Having a hard time wiping the grin off my face in the last few days. :D

Ah, the pain of it all. In no time at all you will be an old hand at leisure.

Welcome to the retiree club.

Tried running on the treadmill at the gym for about one minute, just to try it out. Now, this afternoon, I remember why the knee surgeon told me not to run.:facepalm:

My knee hurts. Not terribly, just enough to remind me to not attempt that foolishness again.:LOL:
Quick study.

I quit running when I was done with the Army. No desire ever to do it unless some emergency would dictate it.

If my knees give me trouble, this is likely my last attempt to get back into running.

Given that I am 42, it would be a serious bummer if this happened.

Oh well, there is always my first love, kayaking. Not much knees involved there. ;)

It's party time! One of DW's projects received regulatory approval today. It was 10 years in the making and required much work and personal sacrifice on her part. The bubbly is on ice, just waiting for her to come home.

It's party time! One of DW's projects received regulatory approval today. It was 10 years in the making and required much work and personal sacrifice on her part. The bubbly is on ice, just waiting for her to come home.

10 years! That is a really exciting accomplishment.

Congrats to you and DW!

Bubbly and a nice walk along the Embarcadero! Gotta love SF!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I quit running when I was done with the Army. No desire ever to do it unless some emergency would dictate it.

I was hiking with a buddy a few years ago, and we came upon a black bear munching out on blackberries. My first thought was "I don't need to be faster than the bear, I just need to be faster than my buddy". My second thought was "crap, he does triathlons and I watch TV". My third thought was "I need slower friends".

Luckily the bear decided to check the other side of the thicket.

Watched these guys. Hope this displays properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1410985195875.jpg
    1410985195875.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60
Back online today after a long weekend at the beach in the RV. One cool rainy day, one cool day, one spectacularly perfect day - so it was a good trip. Intended to do a deep cleaning on it when we got home yesterday, but it was later than I had expected and then started raining. So the cleaning will wait until before we load up for the next trip in a couple of weeks. Took it back to the storage lot this morning on my way to a meeting for one of my volunteer gigs - only to realize after I got to the other side of town that it had been rescheduled for next week. Sigh. Drove back home. Got caught up on e-mail and other computer stuff including paying bills. Wrote a letter for a prison ministry group. Got ready to go back into town for another meeting - checked my e-mail just before I left and found it also was rescheduled for next week. So spent the rest of the afternoon watching interesting videos on the computer and looking at details to order my iPhone 6. DD is in need of my 4S as hers is on its last legs - that's my excuse, anyway ;-)

We are still wandering around Nova Scotia, and will not get back to the States until fall colors arrive in New England.

My wife talked with another RV'er yesterday, and learned that the other woman is from Baton Rouge and has been on the road since July to avoid the heat in her state. Last summer, she said she logged 18K miles.

PS. And a few weeks earlier in Montreal, we talked with a couple from Alberta. The husband was originally Swiss, and the wife French. They were in no hurry to return home because snow already started to fall at home!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom