what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Took a break from kitchen remodeling and went for a walk. Stopped at my favorite sushi place. Picked up a set of shears for my compressor, and cut up twenty years worth of license plates (ok - only 15 years worth) and tossed them in the trash. Took out the garbage. Watched TV. Put some fun shots of ducks in competitive diving on the Photographers thread. The Ducks were sitting on a wall, and after I focussed in on them, DW would walk up behind them until they dove into the water lol.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1411440565.414521.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Beautiful pictures....yes life sounds and looks very good! Continue enjoying and thanks for sharing!

Thank you for the kind comment. I am not really into photography, but simply enjoy snapping travel photos to remind myself later of these happy moments.

It could be the time we enjoyed salad and chowder at a sidewalk cafe...

Or admired the vibrant colors of produce at an open market...

Or watched wedding ceremonies at the Halifax Citadel, with the bride, groom, and guests in costume...

Or merely observed fellow humans enjoying their activities...

It makes me love life more. It would also keep one from devolving into misanthropy.

what did you do today?

@NW Bound, to me your pictures capture the joy of life and happiness. Love the tablescape and pepper.

@seraphim, the leaves and purple flowers feel like autumn, nice picture for Facebook cover or iPad screen. Thank you!

Last edited:
It's colder and breezier today where we are in Nova Scotia. So, we did not go out on an excursion as usual, and mostly stayed inside the motorhome surfing the Web. We also welcome a break from the normal sightseeing routine of RV travel.

Tomorrow, we will start on our slow move back towards the US. It can be really slow, as the New England foliage is still green.

Took some photos yesterday at a family gathering and sent a few out by E-mail. DW's cousin wanted to use a family portrait shot for their Christmas card and to have a print made to hang on their wall.

Well I'm aboard the venerable Queen of Nanaimo on my first post-ER ferry trip over to our Gulf Island property. Yeah, travelling mid-week is the way to go. Almost have the ferry to myself. In my working days (two weeks ago) Friday nights and full ferries were the norm. Chaos, especially during Summer. This is so much better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 14
...Tomorrow, we will start on our slow move back towards the US. It can be really slow, as the New England foliage is still green.

The foliage is starting to turn here in northern Vermont. I golfed today and noticed a big change from a week ago and some of our favorite spots are starting to get real pretty. In another week or so it should be superb, so take your time.

Well I'm aboard the venerable Queen of Nanaimo on my first post-ER ferry trip over to our Gulf Island property. Yeah, travelling mid-week is the way to go. Almost have the ferry to myself. In my working days (two weeks ago) Friday nights and full ferries were the norm. Chaos, especially during Summer. This is so much better.

We are on the same island(s) tonight. We are catching the 7:05 sailing of the Queen of Nanaimo in the morning, back to Tsawwassen. It rained heavily most of the day so we lounged around, read, and eventually emerged for a walk when the rain cleared up. Really enjoyed our time on "your" island(s), and thanks for the suggestion RE: Brooks Point!

If my knees give me trouble, this is likely my last attempt to get back into running.

Given that I am 42, it would be a serious bummer if this happened.

Oh well, there is always my first love, kayaking. Not much knees involved there. ;)

I live in fear of this happening as running keeps me sane, even more so as I get older. Most people I know that had to give up running had sustained some sort of sudden impact injury in their younger years that came back to haunt them at some point. Am curious if that was/is the case with you?

In my case, no youthful exploits to rear their head, (just the usually malady of repetitive motion conditions from time to time), so this morning I signed up for my 21st and 22nd half marathons. I find I'm not as intense - i.e. stressed - in FIRE, and goals like this keep me motivated to keep lacing up those shoes each morning.

As has been often published - age and weight are the leading causes of knee pain for most people as they get older. Can't do a darn thing about the age piece, but running certainly helps keep the weight piece nicely in check.

Last edited:
Didja get it?? Didja get it? Enquiring minds want to know :cool:.

Best of luck, W2R.

I spent an hour this morning in the Geology Lab at the local community college- my first Lab test. It was the usual- identifying a lot of rocks and minerals, but being permitted to use flowcharted "cheat sheets" that help once you determine hardness, streak, etc. I had a heck of a good time! I think I'll be lucky if I get a B, though. I feel like I ought to be acing the class because I'm not taking any other courses, have no job and an empty nest, etc. Oh, well. I'm not worried about keeping a scholarship or actually trying to get a job or get into grad school.

I think this new phase of my life will be as a professional student. :D

Nah, sour grapes. :2funny: The sellers must think they are offering Versailles or the Taj Mahal. :D

I thought you might go to Springfield, heck Versailles, MO. might be cheaper:
http://www.cityofversailles.org

Seriously, sorry it didn't work out.:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I thought you might go to Springfield, heck Versailles, MO. might be cheaper:
http://www.cityofversailles.org

Seriously, sorry it didn't work out.:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Thanks.

That's for sure; the whole town of Versailles, MO might be cheaper. :LOL: The comps don't justify that kind of price so it was a simple decision.

Got up really early to drive ~40 minutes to catch a ferry from the Southern Gulf Islands to the Lower Mainland. Drove home over the mountains in 5 hours, taking care because of heavy rain and fog. Going to a comedy show tonight. Hope I can keep my eyes open!

One hour figure skating, followed by a trip for coffee, and read one of those ancient inventions, a newspaper, then watched the world go by.

Thanks.

That's for sure; the whole town of Versailles, MO might be cheaper. :LOL: The comps don't justify that kind of price so it was a simple decision.

My brother lives in Versailles, MO. Not a lot there.

Got up really early to drive ~40 minutes to catch a ferry from the Southern Gulf Islands to the Lower Mainland. Drove home over the mountains in 5 hours, taking care because of heavy rain and fog. Going to a comedy show tonight. Hope I can keep my eyes open!

Would have loved to have been able to say hello in person. If you EVER find yourself on "my island" again, give me a heads up. Maybe by then I will have my cabin built and I'll invite you over for a drink on my deck. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom