what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laundry....it's a good thing I like doing it otherwise I would be screwed!
Cleaning lady is coming over, I will be shredding and getting rid of things.
Massage scheduled for 4:30pm
Meeting
Another massage at 9pm
Making appointments, decorating the massage room, located display cases for the gift items I will be selling.
Need to order empty bottles for my line of aromatherapy products.
Slowly but surely, the business is taking on life :)

We're getting ready for the trip back to California (From Kansas City). We just realized that, unfortunately, tomorrow is the start of Memorial Day weekend, and all those pesky wage slaves with their "holidays" will be out there sucking up the available campsites.

We're going to leave early tomorrow and head due north to escape the heat.

Just a normal working day for me (good stuff). But, here's a physician's dream day at the office (or the ER):

breaking news - national news - world news - azcentral.com

Great story. The guy had courage; if it had gone badly I can imagine the second guessing, and in the US at least, the lawsuits. I guess they would not have had time to autoclave the bit- do you suppose they just gave it a quick Clorox sterilization? Or hit it with a propane torch?

Ha

90-mile motorcycle ride on the back roads of West-by-God-Virginia on a beautiful cloudless day with temps in the low 80's.

DW is applying for a job with the Feds so I got out of the house while she deals with the hair-pulling frustration of the incredible documentation and paperwork requirements. Best thing I can do for her during times like this is go away. She is admittedly torn about going back to work full time (would prefer part time) but wants something she feels is productive to do.

Dropped off a captured chipmunk at its new lakefront home. :greetings10:
Doggie tuneup at vet. My Rocket Dog got a little pi**y with the vet when she tried to do the kennel cough in the nose trick. So an injection was used instead.
Joined dh2b for lunch at one of those small Italian neighborhood places where people eat heartily, everyone talks LOUDly, and treat you like old friends. :D Plenty of cut-your-own provolone cheese, hot peppers and fresh bread as a free appetizer.
Went for a short 'Stang ride and blew the carbon out a little. :whistle:
Finished up the screened porch floor staining, finally. This has been a long drawn out project due to the 2 day complete curing process. Stain is similar to Thompson's water seal and stays sticky on day 2. So glad that's done. :clap:
Ignoring a gory sci-fi movie called Descent. dh2b likes this stuff. :nonono:

Had a nice lunch with a friend.
Picked up display cases and dragged them up a flight of stairs.
Re-arranged a few things, gave away a few things to my neighbors downstairs, and set up the merchandise.
Ordered more sheets and did some research on retail that I could sell.
Went out to dinner with another friend, picked up a great Brazilian Lullaby cd to use for massages.
Definitely ready for bed...got new FLUFFY pillows....ah :)

Finally got a good night's sleep last night. Got up around 10 and talked to a friend for quite a while. Pondered working out in the yard, but decided not to as it looked as if it were going to rain. Ate some eggplant parm, watched a little tv. Talked to another friend.

Wondering now if I'll sleep well tonight.

Well, two years ago this coming July when I first joined the forum, I thought that I would be retired by the time I wrote my 1000th post....THIS IS IT GUYS, 1000 Ramblin Rambler posts...and still not FIREd. I'm gonna guess there will be about 2000 more before I get to pull the plug. Bets anyone?
R
I'll take a piece of the action. I'm going to say your 1175th post will be all about you hanging it up and posting one of these little guys....:clap:

Great story. The guy had courage; if it had gone badly I can imagine the second guessing, and in the US at least, the lawsuits. I guess they would not have had time to autoclave the bit- do you suppose they just gave it a quick Clorox sterilization? Or hit it with a propane torch?

Ha

Autoclaving can be done in a little over three minutes for a single item .

Ha

Cleanliness is good. Moe is right: 3 minutes in the autoclave. But if I had to choose between dirty and and dead, I'd choose dirty. Ask Natasha Richardson.

Reading this forum I see how different you are from us Spaniards. When we early retire, we don´t feel in the need to do something "productive" or "useful". Maybe it´s because we tend to think that "working" is/has been a curse. Here in Spain very lucky few do like their job and can´t afford to quit in search of another that would suit them.
I´m more or less an example of a Spanish early retiree well pensioned. I have a flat in the centre of a 75.000 city and a house in the country. I spend time in them according to the weather. My wife works. Civel sevant and no early retirement for her...
How do I spend my time? Nothing exciting I´m afraid. I´m an early riser. Watch the news and the political talk shows (usual bull from the usual crooks) , play the guitar (an overstatement) do 10/12 km of cycling (intent on falling a fourth time in a year) listen to American/British audiobooks, read more English in the way of crime fiction (hope it shows in my posts, all this English). And ...I stand by at the disposal of my wife when she comes home from work (this is the interesting part of my daily routine).
Well, now my wife has to vie with you all for my attention. Who is winning my attention is my secret. I can say she is a bit wary of this new hobby of mine since she doesn´t know more than three words in English.
Rather wordy this post. I´ll try to be more concise in the next one.
Regards.

"When we early retire, we don´t feel in the need to do something "productive" or "useful""

Ive never felt that way. Im a pretty lazy guy.

Finally got a good night's sleep last night. Got up around 10 and talked to a friend for quite a while. Pondered working out in the yard, but decided not to as it looked as if it were going to rain. Ate some eggplant parm, watched a little tv. Talked to another friend.

Glad you are sleeping better,bbbamI.

BTW, could you post your eggpant parm recipe?

PS-Me too!

Ha

Thanks Ha....I am sleeping better. :)
As for the recipe....

Since I’ve been cooking for almost 35 years, I don’t get too fancy…so here goes:

2 med eggplants
1 large carton Ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Garlic cloves
1 jar Ragu (red sauce)
Flour and water
Oil for frying

I cut the eggplant into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Then I dip the slices into a semi-thick paste of flour (self rising or plain) and water, place in a skillet with medium heated oil. I let them cook until they are a golden brown. Once they are brown, I place them in a casserole dish and spread half of the Ricotta cheese, and a handful of Parmesan on top of the eggplant.

Add another layer of fried eggplant and cheese.

Place the last layer of eggplant on top, pour jar of Ragu spiked with garlic over the dish. Bake at 350 for a half hour. Remove the dish from the oven, spread about one cup of Parmesan and one cup of Mozzarella on top. Put it back in the oven just until the cheese melts.

To cut down on calories, you can fry the slices without the flour batter in a skillet coated with a non-sticking spray.

Thank you bbbamI. That looks really good. It was one of my favorite dishes back in New England, but I haven't had any in years.

Ha

Finally got a good night's sleep last night.

I'm surprised you ever have trouble getting to sleep.;)

Rain, rain, rain. Rained off and on yesterday and has rained all day today. More tomorrow. Oh well, I do get out of the house to go visit my aunt in the rehab unit. Went to the club last night for a few med's and dinner. May grill a steak tonight. Got my med's renewed so all is well.
img_817963_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

Rain, rain, rain. Rained off and on yesterday and has rained all day today. More tomorrow.
I just looked at the radar, and there seems to be storms in all directions converging on us -- lines of yellow and orange stuff. Hopefully we get some of it in the next hour or two.

Thank you bbbamI. That looks really good. It was one of my favorite dishes back in New England, but I haven't had any in years.

Ha
Ok, put the jar of Ragu down and step away from the sugar and salt.
You need REAL sauce, minus the factory added cr*pola.

Quick and Dirty Spaghetti Sauce a la Freebird

1 can of tomato paste (small size), lowest sodium content you can find
salt and pepper (fresh ground)
dried basil
dried onion flakes
dried parsley
garlic powder (not salt)
1 small or medium bay leaf
1 medium size pot (do not use non-stick) with lid

Put tomato paste in pan. Fill can with water and add to pan, whisking to a very thick consistency.
Add a little more water to get the thickness you want for sauce. Go easy on the water.
Turn heat on medium and add 4 shakes of pepper, 1 shake of salt, about 1 Tbsp parsley, 2 shakes of basil,
4 shakes of onion flakes, 1 very gentle shake of garlic, and the bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, stirring, then cover quickly and turn off heat. Let sit for 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Use in your favorite recipe.

If you want to do a bigger batch and freeze for later use, multiply recipe 2 or 3 times.
I fill small plastic containers with this sauce after cooking it all day in the cr*ckpot.
Need a small bit of sauce ? There it is, ready and willing. :flowers:

Thanks Ha....I am sleeping better. :)
As for the recipe....

Since I’ve been cooking for almost 35 years, I don’t get too fancy…so here goes:

2 med eggplants
1 large carton Ricotta cheese
Parmesan cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Garlic cloves
1 jar Ragu (red sauce)
Flour and water
Oil for frying

I cut the eggplant into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Then I dip the slices into a semi-thick paste of flour (self rising or plain) and water, place in a skillet with medium heated oil. I let them cook until they are a golden brown. Once they are brown, I place them in a casserole dish and spread half of the Ricotta cheese, and a handful of Parmesan on top of the eggplant.

Add another layer of fried eggplant and cheese.

Place the last layer of eggplant on top, pour jar of Ragu spiked with garlic over the dish. Bake at 350 for a half hour. Remove the dish from the oven, spread about one cup of Parmesan and one cup of Mozzarella on top. Put it back in the oven just until the cheese melts.

To cut down on calories, you can fry the slices without the flour batter in a skillet coated with a non-sticking spray.

Hmm that looks tasty!

Well perhaps since he's a single man, he may want time for other activities with a guest....instead of making home made sauce. ;)
Ah, but with those aromas going on, the taste testing and the absolute pleasure of watching a man cook for you ?
Oooo lalala LA...
I better stop there. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom