what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, geezers need to amuse themselves too, in a different and, ahem, adult way.

It's still, hopefully, a thrill ride...

You couldn't drag me to Six Flags, or Sea or Disney or any other "world", with a tow truck...

Besides, I have a rule at my age that states that the a$$ should never be higher than the head, except perhaps during the aforementioned "thrill ride"...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. 😁

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. ��

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

If this has happened to you only twice you are lucky. :LOL: This happens every time I go to my doctors office. The appointments at 2pm but doctor doesn't see me until 3pm and 2 other people in the waiting room had the same 2pm appointment. In both those professions (I'm sure it applies to other professions) the people you deal with sometimes mess things up, have lots of questions, slow/long winded responses/downloads, a lot of unexpected things.

Second to last day of work. Too busy. IT folk here do a "quarterly software update". Problem is they start at 4AM and try to finish by 9 AM. I've been here twice when they do this and they don't finish until 1PM. Doctor's round are in the morning. Elective surgeries are in the morning. Why don't these IT guys start at 9PM do they're finished by 7AM. After all, it's a hospital, and our job is taking care of patients, not doing tech stuff. My day was at least 2 hrs longer because of this quarterly fiasco. 😁

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

I did 29 years in IT. We worked the clients schedule, normally Saturday night starting at 10:00 PM. You might get to keep the systems to 4:00AM after that you and a VP would have a conversation.

I can't imagine a hospital not doing the same, they need a new IT director. I'd volunteer but I'm retired.:) Actually looking forward at the beginning of '13 made up my mind. Looked at what we had to get done and the number of weekends, knew I'd be in every weekend all year. No thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I did 29 years in IT. We worked the clients schedule, normally Saturday night starting at 10:00 PM. You might get to keep the systems to 4:00AM after that you and a VP would have a conversation.

I can't imagine a hospital not doing the same, they need a new IT director.

This was my healthcare experience too. IT worked around patient care schedules, not the other way round.

Last day, EastWest Gal......you are almost free! :dance:

Hey sea Kayaker, spent time hiking around the lighthouse area watching for whales today. A little brisk and nada on the whales, but they have been active down here. See J50 an mom were up north today.

https://www.facebook.com/OrcaNetwork

Thanks for that Springnr. The birth of J50 is great news, especially after the recent death of a mother and her stillborn calf. One of my post-ER goals is to help out with the preservation of our local orca families...

The whale scene here is a little slow right now too. Won't soon forget the humpback show we saw in November though.

Can't wait until 1/1/15.

That really surprises me that they time it that way. DH is an architect that did a lot of local hospital projects. (He had good working knowledge of OSHPD - the governing agency in California that deals with Hospital facilities, codes, inspections, requirements.) He had to go to the hospital at 4am several times to do inspections of an elevator project - because that was the only allowed time to bring one of the elevators offline. By 5am they needed the elevator for getting patients to surgery. (Note - they never took more than one elevator offline - and the hospitals are built with massive amounts of redundancy.)

EastWest Gal, congratulations on this being your last day!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Snow in SoCal--SW Riverside County

This is not usual.
Our new neighbors are holding us responsible. :D

Lots of broken branches to clear up when things warm up a bit.

If I were a snowbird, I'd be ticked.

Attachments

• Cold Lion.jpg
    Cold Lion.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Back yard snow.jpg
    Back yard snow.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Snow Adirondack.jpg
    Snow Adirondack.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 16
I'm sitting here reading all of the stories about the last day of the year, what happened this year, and NYE celebrations. Here's a cool article about the history of firew*rks...
A history of fireworks: how about some flaming artichokes to blast in the new year?

I have a minor stomach bug, derived from Mr B's bout a few days ago. I'm feeling a lot better today, even ate some real food. Nothing spicy or complex yet.

It snowed a little. The sun is shining. :D

I had the IMA battery pack replaced on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. It is exactly 7 years old today and has 183k miles on the odometer. The new battery pack was $2480 installed by the dealer. I checked into doing it myself. It appeared easy enough, but the cost of a new battery pack, plus the shipping, would have resulted in almost exactly the same cost, and I would have had to find the time to do it. We plan on keeping the car for another five years/125k miles, so it seemed worth the cost of repair. Other than the recently faltering hybrid battery pack, the car has run very well over the years

After a chilly morning walk (I've been slothful for the past couple of weeks between a bad cold and holiday schedule), breakfast, and finishing the morning paper, I took several boxes of donations to Goodwill. Then did a couple of loads of laundry, and while they were running, tallied up my charitable driving miles for 2014 - 5,266 miles (more than half of the total miles I put on my Prius). I'm on several committees that require significant driving - such as 180-mile trips nearly every month. Total of 89 separate trips in 2014.

We'll pop our bubbly with dinner (real MD crab cakes thanks to my sister who sent them as a Christmas gift) and watch football. Since we're in the central time zone, we can watch the Times Square festivities and still be in bed before midnight.

I had the IMA battery pack replaced on my 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid. It is exactly 7 years old today and has 183k miles on the odometer. The new battery pack was $2480 installed by the dealer. I checked into doing it myself. It appeared easy enough, but the cost of a new battery pack, plus the shipping, would have resulted in almost exactly the same cost, and I would have had to find the time to do it. We plan on keeping the car for another five years/125k miles, so it seemed worth the cost of repair. Other than the recently faltering hybrid battery pack, the car has run very well over the years
The price for the battery pack plus labor was only $2480? I think that's a very reasonable price.

What I did today: Finished my Christmas shopping.

If you get another 125K out of the Civic, and you should easily with routine maintenance, the battery pack will have cost you around $0.02/mile. Certainly worth that cost.

Today, I ran Cat6 network cable inot two bedrooms in this 1999 vintage house. Since we have 8' ceilings, the fire stops in the walls gave us a struggle to drill through from the attic. One more room to go and that is planned for Saturday morning. This will eliminate any need for wireless in all the rooms except where the router is located. I love hard wired equipment!

Played 4 hours of Pickleball this morning with a MUCH better player than myself. He gave me lots of coaching which was very appreciated since many players at his level don't have patience with those not at their level.

Since I normally play for about 2 hours in much less aggressive games it will be interesting to see if I can get out of bed tomorrow without a lot of moaning and groaning.

I've agreed to another extended coaching session on Friday... Can't wait!

Honda Civic Hybrid, battery cost of $2480...

Out of curiosity, I look it up. And the Web says, "144 V Nickel-metal hydride batteries with 6.0 A·h capacity". That's $2.87/Wh.

Then, I look up the price of commercial D-size NiMH batteries. Amazon wants $38 for a 6-pack of 10Ah each. That's 72Wh for $0.53/Wh. Hmmm...

I read that Tesla builds its batteries with commercial common 18650-size lithium batteries, and the cost comes close to the $0.40/Wh of the individual battery.

PS. The above battery is for 1st generation Civics. The 2nd generation Civic uses "158.4 V (132 x 1.2 V) Nickel-metal hydride batteries with 5.5 A·h capacity". That's $2.85/Wh.

Last edited:
Sounds like the guys who take the battery packs apart and refurbish them can make a nice profit.

... but that may cause conflict with vehicle warranty and liabilities, etc...

I also saw that each C-size commercial NiMH battery has the capacity of 5 Ah, about the same as the amperage of your battery pack. It may just be what Honda uses.

Anyway, I would want to get the used battery pack to break it apart to see what's inside. And I would weed out the bad cells then rewire them to use in my RV.

So, for lack of other more interesting things to do, I researched further and found that the Civic Hybrid IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) battery is indeed made of D-size batteries, and not C-size as I surmised. However, as the price of even rebuilt battery packs is so pricey, I wonder if these are better built than consumer-grade batteries in order to handle higher currents, hence more expensive.

Something more to look into...

PS. OK, here's the difference. Regular D cells can handle 10A current continuously, and 50A intermittently. The IMA battery cells can handle higher currents up to 100A, though I am not sure for how long. It still shows that these are specially built, hence more expensive.

What I find curious is that even at 100A peak current, the power put out by the electric motor is just 15HP. And then, at that max current the battery would be depleted in a few minutes. So, it is mainly used to allow a smaller gas engine to be used for better gas mileage. Or the electric motor provides a lot more torque early at low RPMs to allow better acceleration from a smaller gas engine.

Anyway, as the battery is made of 120 batteries in configuration of 20 sticks of 6 batteries each and perhaps only one stick fails, some guys show how it can be disassembled, the bad stick identified and replaced. All can be done in one's garage if he has the time. It is not feasible to replace a single cell as cells in a stick are welded together for the 100A current rating, but pulling out a stick involves just unbolting its terminals. Something an ER/tinkerer might want to do...

Last edited:
Today I did a whole lotta nuttin...

I crashed on the couch at a friend's house last night rather than drive home 25 miles in the dark and snow. His sister made us all brunch today.
I had scrapple (homemade) for the first time in my life. Pretty good stuff.

I arrived home to a nicely plowed driveway. Money well spent.

It may seem silly to wish for snow, but there are a lot of small businesses that depend heavily on the (usually) very active upstate NY snowmobiling industry.
Tug Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Snowmobile Tug Hill - Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, and Oswego Counties New York

Here's a nice short video showing an actual trail ride plus still pics. Yes, it snows that much.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=84D30DA82AFC48FE1D3684D30DA82AFC48FE1D36

SNOW SNOW SNOW :dance:

Last edited:
Quiet day. I now have DD's cold compliments of DW. Visited DS and we went to lunch. returned an item to Home Depot, gassed up and bought a bottle of Amaretto for DW. Went home and took a long nap, had dinner and then watched a local college hockey game on tv.

Still feel terrible, but am thankful.... a friend I talk with a few times a year called me today and said he was in a head-on collision a couple weeks ago.... he'll be fine but it will take time.... crushed sternum, broken back, broken kneecap, broken leg. Ouch. His DD is nursing him back to health.

Homemade scrapple isn't scrapple. If it wasn't swept up off the floor it's not authentic.

"You could eat off my floor; just look at all that food down there..."

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Today concluded a 2-week stretch of gross overeating. We have to get back to our usual diet and exercise before my pants get too tight again.

Over the holidays, we decided to relocate. The next few months are going to be very busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom