what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally sat myself down and did the final review on my revised estate documents. Signing is set up for the 29th. No more paperw*rk until tax time. :dance:

My 2011 Escape is in the car hospital for a leaking transfer case, front brake pads, and something making a minor clunking sound in the front end. It should all be done by tomorrow afternoon. These are the first major repairs I've had to do since I bought it used in late 2012. The surgeon is my buddy who owns his own little mechanic shop less than 2 miles from my house. He is also my snowplow guy. It is sooooo nice to know I will get a very fair price for the labor. :D

Mr B had to go several places today, so I held down the fort.
It is kind of annoying to be without my own car, but I'll survive one more day without wheels. Plenty to do inside in winter.

Dinner was 2 fish fry meals to go from a local grocery store. I love it when Mr B cooks. ;)

Since you were just in Venice... any tips? I did a day trip (while staying with a friend who lived in Verona) so I've been to the Doges palace, etc... and my kids should like that. I'm also thinking Murano could be interesting.

Here are my recommendations for Venice:

1. The famous tourist things:

a. Doge's Palace -- we got tickets for a special behind the scenes tour here. Doge's Palace Secret Itineraries, Venice - Venice (Veneto) - Tickets and Booking It was quite fun, and I think kids would like it. I've dealt with Select Italy many times and have always been pleased.

b. Basilica San Marco -- go here to get tickets to enter by the side door and skip the long line. Tickets St Marks Basilica Venice Italy | Skip the Line San Marco Venezia

2. A little off the beaten path:

a. Museo Storico Navale -- The Italian Naval History Museum. It is incredibly cool and incredibly cheap. Heck, it's cheaper to pay to go in here and use their restroom than to go to one of the dedicated pay restrooms in town, plu you get to see all the cool displays. From Piazza San Marco, walk east along the Riva degli Schiavone to the Campo San Biagio, just past the Arsenale vaporetto stop. http://www.marina.difesa.it/EN/history/museums/Pagine/museostoriconavale.aspx

b. after the Naval History Museum, continue east on the Riva degli Schiavone. You'll come to a large park, with real trees and grass - the only one we saw in Venice. In the park, right along the Riva, is the Ristorante Paradiso, which is a great place for lunch. You can sit on their terrace, look out over the lagoon and watch people walk by. You might see some of the midshipmen from the Naval Academy, which is at the very end of the park at the eastern tip of Venice.

c. Burano and Torcello -- we enjoyed these two islands more than Murano (we weren't all that interested in decorative glass). You can get to them by vaporetto (No. 12) from the Fondamente Nuove stop. The long boat ride out and back is most refreshing. I can recommend the Ristorante Riva Rosa on Burano for lunch.
http://www.isoladiburano.it/en/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torcello

P.S. - We stayed at the Hotel al Ponte Antico. I cannot recommend it highly enough. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...iews-Al_Ponte_Antico_Hotel-Venice_Veneto.html

Last edited:
Earlier this week Amazon had the Slingbox 350 as a daily deal. I had been on the fence about Slingbox but the deal was too good to pass up so I ordered it. Today I connected it to our cable box/DVR. While I was messing around behind the TV I took the opportunity to organize the tangle of cords and clean up the dust bunnies.

My plan is to use our Roku to stream the Slingbox for watching TV at our weekend home, allowing us to drop cable there. We could save $50-60 per month going to Internet only at that house.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Said goodby to my brother and his DW a few hours ago. We've had non-stop visitors, all family, since a week before Christmas. We love them .. but it's time for a break. :)

...My 2011 Escape is in the car hospital for a leaking transfer case, front brake pads, and something making a minor clunking sound in the front end. It should all be done by tomorrow afternoon. These are the first major repairs I've had to do since I bought it used in late 2012. The surgeon is my buddy who owns his own little mechanic shop less than 2 miles from my house. He is also my snowplow guy. It is sooooo nice to know I will get a very fair price for the labor. :D...

The transfer case on my old Ford F250 plow truck ate it big time when I was plowing a couple of days ago. It wouldn't go into any gear. Mechanic said that usually means catastrophic failure. They will look at it Monday. Had it towed by Safeco. The tow truck slid off the drive, but he winched himself back out. (Hadn't got the drive plowed. I was trying to get the road plowed good enough that DD could get her Prius up the hill.) This won't be a cheap fix, but life is a lot easier up here with a plow truck.

So the martial arts dojo where I help teach at had the old computer succumb to old age and virus/malware attacks.

I got a new one and last night/today we struggled with the transition of old to new computer: files, folders, accounts, applications, peripherals, email services all transitioned.

Gawd I hate computers....we wrestled with settings, passwords, configurations late Friday and I had to go back today to finish things up so that we had a working computer to conduct business/email.

Blech....time for a cold beer!

Pushed about 1/2 inch of heavy snow/slush off the driveway.

Converted 5 lbs. of hamburger into two quart size zip-lock bags of frozen meatballs.

Said goodby to my brother and his DW a few hours ago. We've had non-stop visitors, all family, since a week before Christmas. We love them .. but it's time for a break. :)

You, sir, are in danger of some severe muscle spasms caused by that enormous relieved grin on your face.

what did you do today?

I decided to save some money. I did not subscribe to Amazon Prime. And I did not order the refurbished Chromebook for $150.

Instead I went to the store and bought a little over $5 worth of eggs and seeds and nuts which I will turn into a healthful loaf of 'bread'. Actually more of a nut and seed cake

Spent about 2 hours shoveling a couple inches of wet, heavy snow. Bottled 5 gallons of dark ale.

We went to the Botanical Garden and the de Young Museum at Golden Gate Park, had afternoon coffee in the sculpture garden and then out for Vietnamese food for dinner.

DW is in the hospital with pneumonia on top of her COPD so I have been taking "care" of the house and dog. The little dog has been with us 6 months and this is the first time DW has been away from him overnight. He's been sticking to me like glue and looking at the front door waiting for her to walk in.

I feel like a bachelor again and I am living on sandwiches and diet coke. The stove hasn't been turned on in a week. The dog is really getting to know me.

DW is in the hospital with pneumonia on top of her COPD so I have been taking "care" of the house and dog. The little dog has been with us 6 months and this is the first time DW has been away from him overnight. He's been sticking to me like glue and looking at the front door waiting for her to walk in.

I feel like a bachelor again and I am living on sandwiches and diet coke. The stove hasn't been turned on in a week. The dog is really getting to know me.

Wow, sorry to hear that your wife is so sick! My best wishes for a quick recovery and that she can return back home soon.

I hope your wife recovers quickly, aja8888

Wow, sorry to hear that your wife is so sick! My best wishes for a quick recovery and that she can return back home soon.

I hope your wife recovers quickly, aja8888

Thanks for the kind words. Fortunately, we caught this early this time. Ever since she was diagnosed with COPD three years ago, when she gets any kind of virus or flu type issue, it moved to her lungs and her breathing efficiency drops pretty fast. Fortunately, we live a mile of so from two major hospitals. The word is probably out mid-week with a temporary O2 set up until things cleared up 100%.

Sending best wishes for your wife, aja8888 and I hope your dog isn't too sad while she is in the hospital. Our dog used to stay by the window when DH was traveling or even out for the day. Ours was a rescue so he always seemed concerned over being abandoned again the first year or so we had him.

Sending best wishes for your wife, aja8888 and I hope your dog isn't too sad while she is in the hospital. Our dog used to stay by the window when DH was traveling or even out for the day. Ours was a rescue so he always seemed concerned over being abandoned again the first year or so we had him.

Thanks DLDS. Our little Terrier mix was a rescue six months ago and he is clearly feeling that anxiety also. Even when I take him for a short ride in the car, he is scared and shivering. Apparently the anxiety syndrome is pretty common with rescue dogs.

DW is in the hospital with pneumonia on top of her COPD so I have been taking "care" of the house and dog.
Hope your wife is feeling better soon. Take care of your self too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to hear about your wife . Hope she gets better soon.

Yesterday - did the Sunday grocery shopping, then went for my 'traditional' hike in the open space preserve behind our house.

Then spent the afternoon prepping the bbq rig to smoke up a batch of chicken drumsticks for dinner.

Served with onion rings, and grilled corn (w/o the husks to get the kernels a golden brown).

Delish....

Got up early, checked the weather channel to see if my area will be impacted (no TG), made coffee, now listening to classic country on the Music Choice digital cable music channel.
I have a few indoor projects that need attention, but I think I'll go play with my plants instead. :D
My car is still in the shop. The transfer case seals should arrive today at the mechanic's shop. It will be nice to have my wheels back later today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom