what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my first bill for Medicare - $314.70, WTH! Oh, it's a quarterly bill.:facepalm:

I guess they'll start taking it out of SS automatically when I start taking that.

I started Medicare this month too (HUGE pay raise! :dance:). Medicare comes out of the SS check automatically. I am also having Medicare Advantage taken out of the SS check.

I signed my re-stated Revocable Living Trust, Pour-Over Will, HCP, Disposition of Remains, and the rest of the documents that went with all that.

Then I went out to drink beer. Well earned beer after 2 plus weeks of re-stating, proofreading, etc. Have I ever mentioned I despise paperw*rk of any kind ?

I'm 56 years young, not ill, but I can go to sleep tonight knowing all is in legal order if sh*t happens.

Priceless...:dance:

Last edited:
We went for a couple of walks and did house and yard chores today. We bought a new pot and plants for the patio yesterday and set that up today, did yard work, laundry and made up a bunch of healthy food.

I made organic pasta and home made minestrone soup in my Instant Pot and DH roasted a bunch of heirloom carrots in the convection oven. For dinner we had wine, French bread, the minestrone soup and a salad.

All the food and wine was from Costco or Grocery Outlet and cooked in energy saving appliances so it was a cheap date night at home.

Went to see "Still Alice" yesterday. Very moving, also painful.

After promising my self to spend less money this year I went out and spent more money.

Went out for our walk, stopped for breakfast, bought some socks, and went to the Bass Pro Shop. DW was going to look at outdoor clothing, and I went to look at guns. There is really only one firearm I've been wanting to acquire for a couple of years, and I always feel safe looking, because no one carries it in stock.

Guess what?

I now have a S&W 460V revolver for carrying in the back country. So that means a holster, ammunition, practice time on the range...

And there's a nice little lever action carbine chambered for the same round, as well...

I'm weak.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Went to the auto show today. The prices on new vehicles certainly take my breath away. It's a good way to look at the new cars hassle free. There are sales people to talk to, but no pressure to 'take it home today'.

I woke up before dawn, got some coffee going, and am now watching the Winter Storm Marcus predictions for the northeast on the Weather Channel.
The footage for the vehicle pileup on Route 81 North yesterday was played. So glad I don't a) live up there, and b) have to drive up that way.

Then I read up on the "Left Shark" story. Too funny. I can relate to the Left Shark thing, i.e. dancing to my own beat. The online comments are a scream.

I'm feeling some cabin fever, but I will stay off the roads. My gardening buddy will be coming up later to pick up a huge enameled pot I'm loaning to him for making natural bone broth. Mr B has to go to the Legion annual Game Feed and run the 50-50 ticket fundraiser for the post baseball team. I'm not a wild game fan :nonono: so I'll pass on going to that.

I'll come up with a nice crockpot dinner for all of us just in case the snow gets intense here earlier than expected. I have a nice downstairs room with 2 beds for guests, so my buddy can crash down there if he wants to. His father passed almost a year ago, so Mr B and I have adopted him into our little family. :D

Last edited:
Last night...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1423329625.682077.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1423329644.523866.jpg

After promising my self to spend less money this year I went out and spent more money.

Went out for our walk, stopped for breakfast, bought some socks, and went to the Bass Pro Shop.

Ha! As soon as I saw "Bass Pro Shop" I knew how that story was going to end....:LOL:

Spend a few hours with a backed up sewer drain. Have to give a lot of credit to those here that have encouraged DIY. I would have wasted hundreds on an ac guy to find out it was plumbing. Then burned more on a plumber.

I still needed a little help from the guy that does simple maintenance. But he agreed I'd identified the problem; I watched him and went out and then went out and bought a few extra tools.

Many thanks to the posters that have encouraged me to understand how stuff should work and have some confidence to pull it apart and see what's happening.

Met dh at a local restaurant. He was buying lunch for the vets that gathered for a photo shoot. The pictures will be assembled in a book for a fallen soldier's family.

I had the honor of meeting a Tuskegee Airman. That was truly special.

DW and I are currently in a rental condo in Naples, FL for February to escape the cold and snowy New England winters. So far... money well spent. :dance:

One of the local builders/developments had a Parade of Homes event ($5/person donation to charity) and we toured a number of $1.0 to $5.5 million homes. All very nice but this one $5.5 million home was stunning, particularly the outdoor entertaining area. It had accordion glass doors in the great room that folded back to a 25-30' wide opening to the outdoor area.

Anyhow, later DW and I were grilling dinner together back in the pool area of our rental and talking about our afternoon. She said that she is way too practical to buy a $1 million home even if we could afford it. I played devils advocate and said, but if you had $20 million (and we don't) it wouldn't be a big or difficult decision. Then she stunned me by asking "how much we had" which she has never done the whole time we have been married... though I have occasionally got the "can we afford this" question. I asked her to guess.... she was 80% right. :D

She said that she was more attuned/interested in "how much we had" when we were first married and I responded that it was easy in those days since the answer would have consistently been "not very much".

Last edited:
The young wife and I made six pounds of hot Italian sausage - four pounds of links and 2 pounds bulk. We celebrated by cracking open the first two bottles of dark ale that I brewed last month.

Busy day yesterday. Picked up an electric smoker so smoked a rack of ribs and a turkey breast. Smoker is a Bradley for those interested. Ribs for dinner last night, smoke flavor was great, could probably have cooked a bit longer to be a bit more tender. We have some left so will put them in the oven along with the turkey as it finishes in the oven today. Used apple wood for the smoke. About 3 hours of smoke, about 6 total hours of cooking but turns out my temperature was a bit lower than I first thought.

Also, after a week of weather issues, excavator was able to get his bulldozer off another mountain and did the backfillling and basic laying out for the yard and driveway at the house we're building for DW's family. House is on top of a hill and was really worried how the ground around it was going to turn out but Dan works magic with a bulldozer. They'll do the final shaping later after all the electric, well, and septic trenches are completed. Will add a picture to this post if they came out!

020815house%2526kitchen%2B051-726992.jpg
020815house%2526kitchen%2B048-723588.jpg

Last edited:
Awaiting up to 10 inches snow today in East Nowhere. My w*rkout today
is preplanned for me. Piece of cake ! :dance:
My bird feeder is empty so I better take care of that before all snow hell breaks loose. :LOL:

DW and I went to the beach yesterday. It was a bit chilly at 74, but it's the first time this year and the sun was nice.

I gained a victory against the ever-ferocious snow monster, armed with a plastic shovel and two supporting warriors to do the heavy stuff. My neighbor with the snowblower and my plow guy with the truck/plow rig are my heroes.
Photos are available at the "This weather is awful" thread. :cool:

Mr B feels badly that he cannot help due to his heart condition, but I always tell him..."I'm not in the mood to do CPR today." NO SHOVELING!!!!

I feel very empowered to be able to do this myself, and am developing some pretty decent upper body muscles. It's all good.

Tomorrow, if the temperature and wind speed is right, my gardening buddy is showing up to help me clear off some of that 26 inch snowload on the lower deck. If too cold, well, there's always the next day. :D

what did you do today?

Ha! As soon as I saw "Bass Pro Shop" I knew how that story was going to end....:LOL:

Yea - self control is not one of my strong suits...

Had a reassessment at the gym/wellness center. I'm in good shape, they took out two machines from the routine and added three. And I'm 14 lbs heavier than I was in Nov. '13. Unfortunately only about half of that is muscle.

For the first time in my life I'm having to pay attention to how what I eat affects weight. This is not a good thing because I always cruised along at ~150 lbs give or take a bit.

Oh, and filed federal tax return. The state has to wait a bit because WV hasn't released a needed form yet.

Son came home for a few days, and I got to spend the morning teaching him to shoot a handgun. He's a natural, even with big bore magnum rounds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom