what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I remember getting a call just like that. Our son was in middle school and got hurt playing basketball. It was his wrist. The fiberglass casts that can get wet and be submerged were pretty new then but it made a big difference in his comfort compared to the plaster cast he had with a previous arm fracture, also basketball if I'm remembering correctly.

If a fiberglass cast is not offered, ask about it.

The worst part for my son was that he's a drummer and he hated not being able to play the drums. He thought it was pretty funny that Mom had to write out his homework.

I hope your son's recovery goes well and that he's not in a lot of pain.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

No drums here...
My son plays piano... he's worried he'll miss the "big" recital. (There's a small one and a big one each year - the big one is in a formal auditorium. He's been practicing so hard for this.

Also - ortho reviewed the xray and decided he could wait till Wednesday... His temp cast is plaster - so no showers till then. Talk about RIPE.

He has figured out how to play video games on his computer with no problem. LOL.

We took the dog for a hike at a park with pretty views, a bench at the top of the peak to sit and soak up the scenery and a couple of newt ponds. The newt ponds were pretty cool. I'd never seen one before. After dinner we went to Costco and loaded up on organic meat and produce. After that I made home made soup.

Rodi - Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he doesn't have to miss the recital.

Started the morning with a very nice walk with the pooch at La Jolla shores beach. Came home to find email from an illusive vacation rental landlord confirming we could rent his apartment. Yay! Booking was interrupted by a call from younger sons gym teacher telling me there was a basketball accident. This was followed in short order by a call from the school nurse suggesting I pick him up and get his elbow xrayed.

So the next 3 hours were spent at Kaiser's ER to confirm he had a broken elbow and get his temp cast till he sees orthopedics tomorrow. Looks like he's out the rest of basketball season (3 or 4 more weeks) and will not be playing baseball as planned. I notified both coaches.

If this year continues on this way we'll have reached max out of pocket for our HSA plan by April or May.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Rodi - Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Hopefully he can still be one of the team while he recuperates. I was bummed out when I broke my collar bone right before baseball season when I was a kid. But they let me be third base coach for the season. Maybe your son can get a similar gig to stay involved during the summer.

He has figured out how to play video games on his computer with no problem. LOL.

Of course, he has to attend to the important things!

Years after the event my mother told me the most memorable phone call from me started out with "I sorta had a a little accident on the motorcycle...."

She'd been against getting it in the first place of course and my father only agreed to it after ingesting a quart of Schlitz. (Hey, by 17 I'd long since figured out how to work that angle.) He'd had an Indian Chief motorcycle in his 20's so I used that too.

No broken bones but there wasn't a limb that wasn't wrapped in gauze from the road rash. At first sight I looked like a mummy. And I got back on the bike the next day. I'm not sure if that's called tenacity or something else....:LOL:

I learned a new trick today. Outside in very cold weather with your gloves on, when your iPhone rings you can easily answer it by using your nose to substitute for a fingertip. Works like a charm! :)

I learned a new trick today. Outside in very cold weather with your gloves on, when your iPhone rings you can easily answer it by using your nose to substitute for a fingertip. Works like a charm! :)

Ha!! I will definitely use this trick. Thanks for sharing!

I have been very busy over the last month overseeing the reno work on our house. It's looking good and this morning I signed to paperwork to officially put it up for sale. Now the waiting game starts. The local market is very slow, it could take months before we get an offer. Thankfully our house is in the $100K-$300K range, which is the most active. We have friends who have been trying to sell their $500K house for almost a year with no success at all.

This morning, I also researched the best way to sell our second car. I don't want to deal with private parties and I am leaning towards Carmax for a quick sale. We decided to sell the more practical car (Toyota Camry) and keep the fun one (Mazda Miata). If we need a practical car, we'll just rent one by the hour as needed (I just signed up for Zipcar).

Last edited:
Morning routine of coffee & eng muffin, checked email, news then off for my morning walk.

Went to Torrey Pines St Beach and walked up the bridge and then down to the beach.

Good walk.

Then off to Office Depot to get a newer/faster thumb drive with all the posts here about backups! :D

Next stop was the grocery store to pick up some cold beverages and supplies for burgers tonight.

Back home to unload, relax, have some left overs for lunch then turn on the music system for some afternoon tunes while putzing around til dinner.

It is so frickin' hot here - I'm tempted to turn on the AC!:facepalm:

No drums here...
My son plays piano... he's worried he'll miss the "big" recital. (There's a small one and a big one each year - the big one is in a formal auditorium. He's been practicing so hard for this.

Also - ortho reviewed the xray and decided he could wait till Wednesday... His temp cast is plaster - so no showers till then. Talk about RIPE.

FYI, if you notice increasing pain, any numbness, or purple or pale fingers, go to the ER immediately. Some elbow breaks are atrocious, but most are fine.

I hope today went well with the orthopedics appointment. Elbow breaks can be mild or bad. Pay attention to numbness, pain, purple or pale fingers over the next week. There's nerves and blood vessels going through there which can be compromised.

Re: piano.

I hope the recital is far enough out that he can still do it. One trick for practicing when you can't practice is to listen to a recording of the piece, or just look at the music, and mentally move the fingers to the recording. Frankly, it is almost as good as practicing for real. I play my flute in my head and on the steering wheel all the time. There is a lot about both music and sports and probably other activities that is purely mental. Even as I am typing this I am reviewing a piece of music in my head that I glanced at about 30 minutes ago.

OMG, I do enjoy your posts! lol My gloves have a sensor/pad for use with cell phones.:LOL:

Adjusted the throw on the elevator of my model glider, as exciting as that is. Although it was too cold to fly today, I want to be ready when a nice day comes. Went down and practiced on the simulator...kept trying to glide down and hit the wind sock pole...succeded after about 40 tries!

Went to the hardwood store and bought some red oak for the table I'm building. And a bowl blank for a bowl I'm going to turn on my lathe.

Drove across Alligator Alley to visit some friends who came down to Key Largo for their anniversary. Our first time to the Atlantic Keys. Went to the Coral Reef Park and did the glass bottom boat thing. Beautiful day for a boat ride. Saw some green sea turtles, barracuda, tons of reef fish and corals. Fantastic. Long tired ride back across the alley, but made it home and are now relaxing with the pups and a couple shots of Bulleits. Excellent day.

Stopped and smelled the roses lately. Not much else to add to smelling roses. Enjoy it folks.

Rceived a phone call.

Grandson received his SAT score.

:dance::dance::dance:

I suspect they've changed the SAT since I took it. 1600 was a perfect score back then. I'm guessing with 3 dancing cherries the new perfect score is 2400?

No matter what, congrats.

Drove across Alligator Alley to visit some friends who came down to Key Largo for their anniversary. Our first time to the Atlantic Keys. Went to the Coral Reef Park and did the glass bottom boat thing. Beautiful day for a boat ride. Saw some green sea turtles, barracuda, tons of reef fish and corals. Fantastic. Long tired ride back across the alley, but made it home and are now relaxing with the pups and a couple shots of Bulleits. Excellent day.

I had never heard of Bulleit until last night when we were at a local restaurant that had a cocktail called a Bullleit Beer which was sarsaparilla, bourbon, ginger ale and ginger beer. Since I love ginger beer I thought I would give it a try. Very good. In fact so good I had two since I wasn't driving.

Gym day, minor grocery run (gaaaa - almost ran out of wine!) and I'd complain about the cold/wind/snow but the New Englanders would just roll their eyes. We're hunkered in until this foolishness with the freezing temperatures stops.

Trip with DH to the Farmer's Market. Bought some Sable Fish for V-day dinner, along with local veg and eggs. Finished our dry laid flagstone path and managed not to kill each other (it's Valentines day after all) Division of jobs helped in that regard. Hot tub soak followed, then made dark chocolate Mayan truffles in honor of the day. About to nip over to a local winery and snag a bottle of wine to have with the fish. Beautiful day in northern Calif (70's) and we are feeling grateful and happy!

Met some new neighbors this morning. Had an impromptu lunch with them so we got to know each other a little bit.

W@rked on the house most of the day. It was in the low 60s so a very nice day. Supposed to snow the next couple of days. That will be good for the ski slopes.

[FONT=&quot]The wife and I went to a local Philippine / American Valentine dinner/dance/entertainment event. I spoke with a few other retirees, who were more… “experienced”, at retirement than I. Interesting conversations, and event. [/FONT]

Gym day, minor grocery run (gaaaa - almost ran out of wine!) and I'd complain about the cold/wind/snow but the New Englanders would just roll their eyes. We're hunkered in until this foolishness with the freezing temperatures stops.
Go for it ! :LOL:

We got another 4 inches overnight. And it is coooooold out. I am finding that it takes a lot for me to bundle up and go outside. If the temperature is above 15F with no wind, I venture out and shovel. Otherwise, I stay in my jammies. :D

I have some long icicles to attend to with my long PVC pole. But it's too damn cold out with wind chills expected to get very bad. I keep reminding myself...I am very grateful that I am not in MA. Jim Cantore is on site in Plymouth. Unbelievable what is happening out there. :nonono:

So far we slept in late, and ummm....

Yea, that's about it. Cold outside. We'll go down to the local graveyard - I mean mall - and walk a few miles. Huge mall, two anchors and a fast food restaurant left. Been almost completely dead for quite a few years - from before 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom