what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "safe cracker" has come and gone. I expected a lot of power tools, dust, and noise to be involved in the operation, along those lines:

But this guy was all about finesse. A small hole was drilled through the top of the safe and into the top of the door. In went a long a metal stem and, presto, the door was unlocked. The neighbors on the other side of the wall did not hear a thing.

Last edited:
Ah, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday was hell, today is pretty cool. My mouth feels much better, helped along by some 400 mg Ibuprofen horse pills as needed.
I'm doing my salt water rinses on the hour, taking my antibiotics as directed and it's all level ground from here forward.
It's just a matter of weeks before I go for an upper mouth impression at the dentist and get my flexible partial (Valplast) denture device made. Losing 3 molars in two weeks is a real PITA but my dentist's skill and chairside manner plus current denture technology are both very encouraging. :D

I made a canned peaches and greek yogurt smoothie for breakfast, then graduated to some cold cuts and provolone for lunch. Dinner will be something a little more solid, depending on how my jaw feels. No steak for a while. ;)

It is sunny today but pretty chilly. Half the snow is melted. No robins yet...

Went to get measured for a tux the other day and was totally brushed off by the person working there. Spoke with the manager today, letting her know I was taking my business elsewhere, and why. I could never understand this behavior by someone in sales.

Skated as usual, then stopped for coffee. On the way home stopped to buy razor blades. The charges are insane. Atra 10 pack for $18.- passed. Got 12 double edge for 7.50 which is still a ripoff.

Spoke with the manager today, letting her know I was taking my business elsewhere, and why.

Frankly, I admire you for doing that.
I would have simply walked out and not gone back. I might even have posted a bad review online.

My feeling is that if the manager is so inept as to not know how customers are being treated, the store deserves to fail. Harsh, but they brought it on themselves.

But please take a pat on the back for doing the right thing. :flowers:

The "safe cracker" has come and gone. I expected a lot of power tools, dust, and noise to be involved in the operation, along those lines:

But this guy was all about finesse. A small hole was drilled through the top of the safe and into the top of the door. In went a long a metal stem and, presto, the door was unlocked. The neighbors on the other side of the wall did not hear a thing.

I post the dial lock combination on the door of the safe, because I expect burglars to open it on the spot and get what they want out of it, and leave behind our marriage certificate, children's birth certificates, my diplomas, etc... Else, they would haul it away and I lose everything.

Last edited:
When I was a child, our neighbors had a safe with a dial combination that they didn't know. The safe had been installed by a previous owner of the house, who neglected to transmit the combination.

Our neighbors told their children that if any of us could guess the right combination and get the safe open, we could have whatever was inside. We had starry eyed visions of gold bullion, diamonds, and blue chip stocks. :D

We spent countless happy hours trying thousands of possible combinations, but never did figure it out. What a great source of entertainment that was for us.

Hmm... What if our burglar feels as elated when finding my safe, then becomes upset once he opens it and does not see anything worthwhile, and burns my papers? :(

I think I'd better leave something in there to appease him. A couple of Benjamins? :cool:

Last edited:
I post the dial lock combination on the door of the safe, because I expect burglars to open it on the spot and get what they want out of it, and leave behind our marriage certificate, children's birth certificates, my diplomas, etc... Else, they would haul it away and I lose everything.

Would an open drawer with a note to "take this, not that" not be equally effective at far less cost?

How does a drawer protect my papers from fire?

And as tempting as a fire safe is to burglars, would you not expect them to carry it away if they cannot open it on the spot? Even kids like the young W2R get all excited when they see a safe.

We went to happy hour at a waterfront restaurant with views of the San Francisco skyline and Golden Gate Bridge. I had a roasted crab dip snack and a pomegranate margarita. A gift card from one of my little online deals covered most of the bill, so that made it all the more fun.

Later on we picked up a Great Courses DVD and some books from the library.

I was still working on decluttering the half of the garage where I kept my [-]junk[/-] treasure. I sorted them out, and put what I want to keep up in the attic space above the garage to free more space. Eventually, I will be able to park another car in there.

We had leftover corned beef from yesterday dinner with the kids. And my wife made a soup with the broth off that corned beef. It was tasty, but a bit saltier than we would like.

... I made a canned peaches and greek yogurt smoothie for breakfast, then graduated to some cold cuts and provolone for lunch. Dinner will be something a little more solid, depending on how my jaw feels. No steak for a while. ;)

When I went to visit my late father-in-law in his nursing home during dinner time, I saw that the residents could have anything they wanted, including steak.

As long as it was puréed, that is ... :(

When I went to visit my late father-in-law in his nursing home during dinner time, I saw that the residents could have anything they wanted, including steak.

As long as it was puréed, that is ... :(
I'm getting pretty creative with my food processor and blender.
I just may grind up a steak and make a fried burger out of it. I haven't figured out how to make a blender pizza yet though. :LOL:
In the meantime, I am eating lots of fresh and canned fruits and avocado, which is a very good thing overall. Not ready to go vegetarian quite yet. ;)
I'm consuming a lot of Greek style yogurt, also a good thing for the probiotics to replenish what the oral antibiotics are taking away, as well as the protein and calcium.

I'm keeping a good attitude about the whole thing and look forward to getting my Valplast partials for the recently extracted molars.

I wrestled with the house smoke detectors yesterday.

It all started with simply swapping out the batteries and could not get them to stop chirping. The batteries were fresh from the store, yet one or more would chirp intermittently.

So, I said the H with that - they were over 10 years old and decided to swap them all out for fresh units.

I got some new ones at Home Depot that have 10 yr built in Lithium batteries.

Done and done. But that was half a day I'll never get back.

I'm consuming a lot of Greek style yogurt, also a good thing for the probiotics to replenish what the oral antibiotics are taking away, as well as the protein and calcium.

So sorry to hear about your dental issues - sounds awful, ugh!

This caught my attention - wanted to suggest you think about taking Florastor if you are on antibiotics. It is a yeast probiotic, vs the other probiotics that are bacterial. Florastor will not be killed off by the antiobiotics. There is some good evidence it can help prevent antibiotic-associated sx and c-diff (not something anyone wants to get...)

I was still working on decluttering the half of the garage where I kept my [-]junk[/-] treasure. I sorted them out, and put what I want to keep up in the attic space above the garage to free more space. Eventually, I will be able to park another car in there. :(

Ya know, the attic is just a stop-off place for stuff you will eventually get rid of.:cool:

Frankly, I admire you for doing that.
I would have simply walked out and not gone back. I might even have posted a bad review online.

My feeling is that if the manager is so inept as to not know how customers are being treated, the store deserves to fail. Harsh, but they brought it on themselves.

But please take a pat on the back for doing the right thing. :flowers:
Thanks. I don't disagree with your view on the store or the manager, but one of my jobs was managing customer feedback and satisfaction, and ever since, I decided every business deserves a chance to make good. That's "a", as in one. If they're serious, that's all they need, and if they're not, well, what you said. :)

FIFY. ;)

Ya know, the attic is just a stop-off place for stuff [-]you[/-] your kid will eventually get rid of.:cool:

I have been saving some stuff for a while, so what's another decade or two? :cool:

PS. Actually, my kids most likely will sell the home with all the treasure left up there for the next owner to discover. :dance:

62° here today. I (perhaps foolishly) moved the snow thrower from the garage to the shed. But I did NOT drain the fuel from it so just moving it isn't a jinx.

Well, apparently I was mistaken and it was a jinx. Moved the snow thrower back to the garage for the 4"+ of snow forecast for tonight/tomorrow.:nonono:

Lesson learned.

Gym day today, and DW up and decided that she wanted to go out to lunch afterward at Ruby Tuesday's. At least she had a $5 off coupon.

Coffee with a friend this morning then ran some errands and prepped for DD's birthday party on Saturday.

Tonight - Garth Brooks concert. I cannot wait!

So sorry to hear about your dental issues - sounds awful, ugh!

This caught my attention - wanted to suggest you think about taking Florastor if you are on antibiotics. It is a yeast probiotic, vs the other probiotics that are bacterial. Florastor will not be killed off by the antiobiotics. There is some good evidence it can help prevent antibiotic-associated sx and c-diff (not something anyone wants to get...)
Awful but necessary. Bone loss from periodontal disease in my early 30s caught up with me in my mid 50s. My dentist is amazed I had no problems before this. I have kept up with a routine of 3-4 cleanings per year as prevention from recurrence.
It was inevitable that wobbling teeth and removal would happen later in life. Not unusual for not being 20 anymore. :cool:
Anyway, thanks for the tip about the c-diff monster. I am eating a lot of yogurt in my fruit smoothies and have probiotic supplements on hand.
So far so good...no intestinal issues to report. Details would be spared of course...:LOL:

I'm just about over the worst part (extractions). It's all good from here forward. :D

Last edited:
Well, apparently I was mistaken and it was a jinx. Moved the snow thrower back to the garage for the 4"+ of snow forecast for tonight/tomorrow.:nonono:

Lesson learned.

Why not just stay home for a day? It's going to be in the 60s on Saturday.

Lesson learned.

I posted the first picture on another thread a couple of days ago with a comment about starting up construction with the better weather. The second picture is this morning. I spent most of the day sweeping snow off the floor and off the tarps covering the lumber piles.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 29
So, I was thinking about W2R's childhood story of kids spending hours trying to open a safe with a dial combination lock. Is it feasible? How much time it would take if you did a brute force attack by trying all combinations?

Before answering that question, one must understand how the lock works. Basically, a personal fire safe like my Sentry safe has a lock not unlike the common padlock made by Master Lock. Both employ a set of 3 disks with notches that must be lined up for a lever to engage for unlocking. This is best explained by a youtube video using a wooden model.

To see the actual internal mechanism of a Sentry safe, fast forward to 3:30 in the following video.

The dial has graduations from 0 to 99. However, the slots of the 3 wheels are intentionally cut wider than the intruding lever to allow some slop. A tight tolerance would make the lock too finicky to open, and that would frustrate users. I have found that I can deviate about +-2 from the given combination and the lock still opens.

So, we do not have to try every number for each of the combinations, but perhaps only one every 3 graduation marks. Then we have 33 x 33 x 33 = 35,937 combinations to try.

How long would it take to try 1 of the possibilities? Note that turning the dial for the first 2 combinations numbers takes the longest. That may take perhaps 15 to 30 seconds. Then, one just sequentially tries all 33 possibilities for the last number. That would take perhaps 60 seconds.

Then, the time to try all possibilities would be 33 x 33 x (30 secs + 60 secs) = 98,010 seconds or 27 hours maximum. On the average, it should be half that, or 14 hours.

If the lock can be opened with a slop of +-2 on the dial, then it would take only 25 x 25 x (30 sec + 60 sec) = 56,250 sec or 16 hours max. On the average, that's a mere 8 hours.

A team of youngsters can take turn to open a safe if they approach it systematically. The task is still nowhere long enough to keep them occupied over a summer. One patient kid can tackle this by him/herself even.

Last edited:
Yesterday my taxes were done by me and my in-house accountant, Mr B.
I managed the data, he ran the software. No charge except making him a nice lunch of grilled ham and cheese sandwiches and heating up some leftover French fries.

I am getting a $27 fed refund and owe nothing to NY. My govt pensions and fixed annuity (TSP conversion) are completely exempt from state taxation. Income from my portfolio was under the $7800 standard deduction for a single filer in NY. Snoopy dance. :dance: Devil horns. >:D

I only received 2 months of my FERS pension in 2014 and had the correct amount of fed tax taken out. All set for 2015 fed tax withholding.
Now I have to sit down and figure out how to best way to invest my FERS pension in 2015 and stay under that $7800 NY standard deduction. Probably a NYS Tax Exempt fund with VG.
I have 2 accountants on deck (Mr B and my gardening buddy) so between the three of us we will figure out how to minimize my tax footprint with the state. They are both good at doing this kind of analysis. All I have to do is give them the data and watch the spreadsheets fly. :LOL:

I'll pay attention so I learn something. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom