what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was able to spend some quality time in the master bathroom since we've completed Phase 1. ahhhhhh.....:)

DH and I took out the garden tub (we never used it), painted, and had the flooring extended out where the tub used to be.

Phase 2 will consist of pros replacing our shower and cabinet counter top. Phase 3 will be touch up paint. I'm hoping everything will be done by mid April.

Attachments

• DSC06286.jpg
    DSC06286.jpg
    429.6 KB · Views: 36
Was able to spend some quality time in the master bathroom since we've completed Phase 1. ahhhhhh.....:)

DH and I took out the garden tub (we never used it), painted, and had the flooring extended out where the tub used to be.

Phase 2 will consist of pros replacing our shower and cabinet counter top. Phase 3 will be touch up paint. I'm hoping everything will be done by mid April.

Such a charming space!

Yesterday on the first day of spring, I saw my first robin. A silly but happy moment.

Looks great! We took out the tub 6 years ago and haven't missed it all. Replaced a 36x36 fiberglass shower with 48x50 tiled shower w/built in bench, wall mounted body spray jets and hand held shower spray in addition to the standard overhead, all of that has been way more practical and useful than the tub ever was.

Shoveled about 5 inches of snow this morning. Went to Lowes for top soil, peat moss, grass seed, etc, but unfortunately won't get to put any of it down this weekend.

Thanks y'all...much appreciated. :flowers:

Such a charming space!

Yesterday on the first day of spring, I saw my first robin. A silly but happy moment.
I get a case of the giddies too. A robin has built a nest in one of the crepe myrtles in our backyard. :)

Looks great! We took out the tub 6 years ago and haven't missed it all. Replaced a 36x36 fiberglass shower with 48x50 tiled shower w/built in bench, wall mounted body spray jets and hand held shower spray in addition to the standard overhead, all of that has been way more practical and useful than the tub ever was.
Ahhhh..now that sounds awesome...especially the spray jets and hand held shower spray...I'd probably never leave the bathroom. :smitten:

Furnishing the space didn't cost much. We ordered the corner table from Walmart ($80) and bought a new towel bar ($20). Our neighbor gave us the chair and I already had the little wicker table. :)

As far as the shower and counter top go...well, I'll just say we're almost over 'sticker shock'. :p

Shoveled about 5 inches of snow this morning. Went to Lowes for top soil, peat moss, grass seed, etc, but unfortunately won't get to put any of it down this weekend.

We've had snow off and on all day in upstate NY. Happy Spring ! :flowers:

The good news is it is not sticking to the roads for once. It's getting warmer every day up here. :dance:

I'm chilling out on day 4 since tooth extractions. I am dying to go out, but my common sense
(and Mr B) say to take it easy one more day. So I will plant some more tomato seeds indoors, maybe some sweet peppers also.

If I get REALLY bored, I'll wash the insides of the windows. I doubt I'll get that bored. :LOL:

Last edited:
Just came back in from the garage, where the reorg was ongoing. A few hours everyday...

My $11 digital temperature controller bought off eBay finally arrived from HK yesterday. Will jury-rig it up for steak sous-vide tonight, so I can catch up with all the gourmands here. Then, will put it into a nice project box later for a permanent installation.

PS. So, it's all wired up and powered on. Temperature target: 135F. Current crockpot temperature: 90F and rising. Will see what this sous-vide fancy stuff is all about. Heh heh heh...

Last edited:
Just came back in from the garage, where the reorg was ongoing. A few hours everyday...

My $11 digital temperature controller bought off eBay finally arrived from HK yesterday. Will jury-rig it up for steak sous-vide tonight, so I can catch up with all the gourmands here. Then, will put it into a nice project box later for a permanent installation.

PS. So, it's all wired up and powered on. Temperature target: 135F. Current crockpot temperature: 90F and rising. Will see what this sous-vide fancy stuff is all about. Heh heh heh...

I started with hot tap water, which was around 130F. Real time saver, if you're in a hurry that is...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Yes, but I had plenty of time, and also set crockpot power on Hi. Just went out to look, and the temperature is there at 135F.

By the way, comparison of the $11 controller temperature display to the wonderful Thermapen's reading of the water temperature shows agreement to 1F. Cool!

FYI, you might want to try a rice cooker for Sous Vide, they heat up faster and the heat from the bottom works better than side heating elements as in a crock pot.

You can find like new rice cookers in most thrift stores. You want a basic unit with manual high low switch, so your controller is in charge verses a digital rice cooker(won't work). I was using a 10" Aroma 750 watt rice cooker, but recently picked up an Aroma 12" 1000w, much better for large cuts.

Weather was so nice so I started spring cleaning. Put most of winter clothes away or in a bin for Salvation Army. Went through misc. items to see what I really wanted to keep or sell. That's about it.

I have a rice cooker, but it is smaller than my crockpot. And this crockpot is barely deep enough for the big 2-lb steak that I am going to share with DW.

Initially, I thought I might have to use my portable electric burner (1 or 1.5 kW) along with a big stock pot. In the future, that may be what I will have to use to serve more people.

Anyway, what I like about the homebrew controller is that it can be used with any electric pot. However, I am going to use an external relay, as the internal relay of the controller is small and may be rated only for 5A.

Last edited:
Just polished off a melt in your mouth 1.5" boneless ribeye, sous vide then seared in cast iron pan, with a purple sweet potato as the side. Time for a stroll. Have fun experimenting.

Last edited:
Yes, but I had plenty of time, and also set crockpot power on Hi. Just went out to look, and the temperature is there at 135F.

By the way, comparison of the $11 controller temperature display to the wonderful Thermapen's reading of the water temperature shows agreement to 1F. Cool!

Wondering how much oscillation around the setpoint you'll get...

Of course, I've w*rked around processing equipment for a few. Most systems use PID controllers to limit overshoot and oscillations. Perhaps, if that becomes an issue, maybe using the LOW or MED setting would help.

No problem there with oscillations. In my career, I had worked on autopilots for manned and unmanned air vehicles, where the problems you described would be bad, very very bad (control system theory was my graduate topic too). On this sous vide setup, there is no problem mainly because the thermal mass is high, and the heat source is limited (230W on Hi as I measured). Once, I saw the temperature continuing to rise up to 136F after the controller had switched off, but that was it.

So, how was the experiment? A qualified failure! Let me explain further.

I "cooked" the steak for 3 hours, as it was still cold. I had some Montreal seasoning, so rubbed the steak with that. After 3 hours, when I pulled the bag out, I saw that there was something like 1/2 cup of juice in the bag. I did not expect that much. Did the bag have a pinhole? No.

So, I seared the steak, then deglazed the pan. Not a whole lot of flavor there as I expected, because the meat did not stay long to release much juice, nor that I wanted it to. So, along with a bit of butter, I poured the meat juice into the pan and reduced it. Then, seeing that the sauce was still thin, I reinforced it with some half-n-half as I did not have some creme on hand. A bit of garlic and several grinds of fresh pepper and dinner was served. Meanwhile my wife made salad and sauteed some asparagus.

The meat was nicely cooked and pink throughout as expected. No meat juice ran off as I cut it, unlike the usual steak. But as I cut, I saw that this steak was not tender. And upon chewing, aye aye aye...

I told my wife that it was such a bad steak, and I could not remember having one so bad. Perhaps 30 years ago, when I tended to overgrill them? Yikes! It was a bad cut of sirloin, that my wife bought from a supermarket that should remain nameless. This must have come off a cow that was a great-great-grandmother. Aye, aye, aye... My wife said her half was OK, and gave me some. Quite better, but still subpar. Man, I told my wife we should just get steak from Costco, which tended to be more reliable. The piece we had would make a good stew, not steak.

So, instead of melt-in-your-mouth steak like Springnr had, I got a stick-between-your-teeth steak! I am going to compensate by pouring myself a shot of Cognac now. Gah!

By the way, here's the photo of the controller. No photo of the steak as I was too excited to taste it. Poor me!

Last edited:

So, how was the experiment? A qualified failure! Let me explain further.

... I had some Montreal seasoning, so rubbed the steak with that. After 3 hours, when I pulled the bag out, I saw that there was something like 1/2 cup of juice in the bag. I did not expect that much. Did the bag have a pinhole? No. ...

The meat was nicely cooked and pink throughout as expected. No meat juice ran off as I cut it, unlike the usual steak. But as I cut, I saw that this steak was not tender. And upon chewing, aye aye aye...

I wonder if the Montreal Seasoning was an issue? I see that it has salt (not sure how much), and some sources say do not salt the meat before the water bath. I kind of wondered about that, and have salted mine just before serving. Only a little oil, garlic and rosemary in the bag with the steak.

Preparing Food for Sous Vide Cooking

Salting food before cooking sous vide

Any good home chef would tell you that it's always better to salt meat before cooking: the salt penetrates into the meat and helps to tenderize and flavor the entire cut.

Sous vide, however, doesn't work that way.

If you salt food before cooking it sous vide, holding the food at low temperature for a long time inadvertently cures the food, resulting in a dense, pickled texture.

But I've also found supermarket steaks to be variable in quality, while the Costco steaks are always very, very good. Maybe a combo of the two?

-ERD50

Ah, the salt in the seasoning! That could have been it. As I said, I got 1/2 cup of juice off a 2-lb cut while I had expected very little. What should be the normal?

My normal temp setting for steak is 131.9 (forgot to include the wedge of boucheron & brandy for desert earlier)
I said "seared", but really I just preheat the cast iron pan to med/low, pat the meat dry, rub butter on the steak and toss in the pan for ~ 2 min per side. So far this results in a nice browning/maillard reaction without over heating the center.

Old pics - Blackeye Pea experiment, small rice cooker

Attachments

• Peas_Pints.JPG
    Peas_Pints.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Peas_Vac.JPG
    Peas_Vac.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I cleaned out all of my telecommuniting equipment from my home office and transferred them to another employee that lives in the area. It is amazing how much stuff I had accumulated over the years working from home.

Packed up my laptops for my last trip out to work. Will return all my equipment, badge, etc. on Friday and then will be DONE!

I cleaned out all of my telecommuniting equipment from my home office and transferred them to another employee that lives in the area. It is amazing how much stuff I had accumulated over the years working from home.

Packed up my laptops for my last trip out to work. Will return all my equipment, badge, etc. on Friday and then will be DONE!

Woohoo!

Only 284 days left for me...

I had the same issue with a generic, grocery store steak: not much flavor. Next time I'll get spendy, and try grass-fed...

Wow, sounds like 2016 is going to be a pretty terrific year for you, right from the start! :D

Yep, if it ever gets here!

Not really "official" yet, though my boss knows. Paperwork hasn't been filed yet, but will be in the next few months.

My original plan was 8/31, but after reading the fine print regarding my pension, if I worked through the fall semester, i.e. 12/31, I'll get credit for a full year. Mainly waiting because funding could dry up again, and I have to work full-time for the extra year thing to work. If it looks like I won't be full-time all year, I may just punt, and revert to Plan A.

Yep, if it ever gets here!

Not really "official" yet, though my boss knows. Paperwork hasn't been filed yet, but will be in the next few months.

My original plan was 8/31, but after reading the fine print regarding my pension, if I worked through the fall semester, i.e. 12/31, I'll get credit for a full year. Mainly waiting because funding could dry up again, and I have to work full-time for the extra year thing to work. If it looks like I won't be full-time all year, I may just punt, and revert to Plan A.

It will get here, and faster than you think! You're on the downhill glide now. :D

When you get closer to 12/31, you'll probably start thinking (as I did), "If I just worked a few months in 2016, I could max out my 401K for 2016!" There is always something. And then they start coming at you with tempting consulting offers too. Eventually all this will be behind you, and nothing will be in front of you but the "oceans of time" that Goonie used to talk about.

It will get here, and faster than you think! You're on the downhill glide now. :D

When you get closer to 12/31, you'll probably start thinking (as I did), "If I just worked a few months in 2016, I could max out my 401K for 2016!" There is always something. And then they start coming at you with tempting consulting offers too. Eventually all this will be behind you, and nothing will be in front of you but the "oceans of time" that Goonie used to talk about.

For sure 12/31 is chiseled in stone, drop dead. Actually, the fall semester includes Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and the winter holiday break, plus I have around four weeks of vacation, so I won't be w*rking all that much...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom