what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now my dilemma is that I bought this pontoon used last summer and am tempted to change the oil, filter, gear oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. and my old man's words of wisdom -- if it ain't broke don't fix it - are ringing in my ears so I'm not sure what i will do. I'll at least change the oil, filter and gear oil.

That's not fixing it. That's maintaining it.

Went through round two of the fence (split rail cedar) thieves today. Two weeks ago unknown individuals removed two posts from the ground, they took those along with 6 rails. Called it in to sheriff's office, figured if someone was doing something that strange might be best to get it on record. Was working on adding a couple more security cameras since then, but had to mow the lawn today. Went to check for the mail, and WT%@! In the space of an hour, in broad daylight one more post was pulled right from the ground, and the rest of the fence knocked down. Called that one in too, spoke with sheriff's deputy and got the skinny on some other odd things going on in the area. Well, today I finished up adding one more security camera that is watching that area and updated the recording capability of the system. Hooligans!

Got back to MD from paradise yesterday. Took our time on the trip this time, did it over a 3 day period. It was good to schedule in the extra time since we (DW and I, plus the 4 dogs) spent 4 hours of the second day in a Toyota Service dept. waiting room.

Today was a loverly day, dense fog, chilly and damp. Got the house turned back on, got mostly unpacked, did some cleaning. It's amazing how much dust accumulates in a closed house in 6 months. But the joy of joys has been dealing with Mediacom to get my internet and cable set up. Got the wifi going OK, but the TV stuff is totally hosed. I'll tell you, it takes some serious skillz to make Comcast look good, but Mediacom does it consistently.

I think I finally understand about finding a passion.

I've taken a vacation day tomorrow and will be getting up at 5am to be a referee at the Western regionals pickleball tournament.

Before I found the sport if you would have told me I was getting up at the crack of dawn on a vacation day I would have said you were crazy!

Just to think, a mere 8 months ago I would have been trying to get home in rush hour traffic in Vancouver...now, in ER, I do THIS on a Thursday evening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 21
Now my dilemma is that I bought this pontoon used last summer and am tempted to change the oil, filter, gear oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, etc. and my old man's words of wisdom -- if it ain't broke don't fix it - are ringing in my ears so I'm not sure what i will do. I'll at least change the oil, filter and gear oil.

(Ahhh...deferred maintenance) Try doing some of that out in the water when the engine putters and spits to a stop. I'd have a look at the fuel filter for sure if you are going to do anything.

Threw out some grass seed on some bare areas and turned on the sprinkler. Now I'm watching it grow. :)

Well, I was going to do a workout at the gym but I was only there three minutes before the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the building. Rather than wait around for the 45 minutes or so it would take the FD to check out the building I just left. So my workout today will consist of mowing the hilly "back 40" that I didn't do yesterday.

Well, I was going to do a workout at the gym but I was only there three minutes before the fire alarm went off and they evacuated the building. Rather than wait around for the 45 minutes or so it would take the FD to check out the building I just left. So my workout today will consist of mowing the hilly "back 40" that I didn't do yesterday.

That sounds like a good workout to me! :)

We're having a heat wave...a tropical heat wave...

92F here and sunny. I think I have been transported to another universe. It never gets this warm here in early May. I am staying indoors with the AC on. I can't take that kind of heat with hot flashes going on.

I downloaded several gardening books to my Kindle, so I'll read those while Mr B studies. He finally had enough of the nonsense being put upon him as Finance Officer at the local Legion. He has been spending at least 20 hours a week doing that function, all for free.
The new Commander has no clue about what budgeting and tracking spending means, and decided to give a baseball chairperson free rein to just go spend money without coordinating with him or the grounds person. He tried to convince the board members that this was not a good way to operate, to no avail.

So he did the right thing for himself...he resigned.

What a relief. Now he can focus on his studies and set his own schedule.
:dance:

First day of kayaking of the season.

About three hours on the lake. It was getting hot. Got off the lake, finally after loading the kayak on top of the suburban I looked a the thermometer, yikes it was 85F. Have not had anything near that since last August. Last week it was in the forties and fifties.

Watched my resting heart rate at 76 instead of 110.

When I saw my PCP yesterday it was really for a physical(and that was all done) he'd gone over all my tests, all normal. He'd also reminded I'd recently had an echocardiogram. I thought it may have been 5-7 years ago. I was way off it was 18 months ago. So I go back in a month. I'm feeling normal now.

🐑

Last edited:
Watched my resting heart rate at 76 instead of 110.

When I saw my PCP yesterday it was really for a physical(and that was all done) he'd gone over all my tests, all normal. He'd also reminded I'd recently had an echocardiogram. I thought it may have been 5-7 years ago. I was way off it was 18 months ago. So I go back in a month. I'm feeling normal now.

��

GREAT news! Glad to hear that you are doing better. I wonder what the cause was and if the high heart rate will return.

As for me, what did I do all day? Three inspections on my dream house. It passed the general home inspection with flying colors, and the termite inspection, too. The plumbing inspection couldn't be finished today so I'll know more about that next week. It was ~~HOT~~ today in New Orleans, 88F by 10 AM and who knows how hot by the afternoon. So, after over 3 hours of inspections I was glad to be done with it.

Looks like closing on the house will probably be in July instead of this month. The sellers were there, and said don't have a place to move to, yet, and really want to wait. That is fine with me, either way. I just want them to make up their minds, so that we can amend the offer and know the closing date for sure.

Good news, MRG! Glad you are feeling better.

Congratulations on the inspection, W2R! And I think you are probably a bit relieved to have more time to pack (also means more time to get rid of things!).

We're headed out in our RV for a few days. Weather pattern looks like we will end up in rain (showers or thunderstorms) at some point but hopefully just occasionally. We need the rain too much to complain, though.

Yes, congratulations on another major step in your purchase! I am counting down the days until I move--less than one week now. At one time I had nearly 35 things listed on Craigslist and am now down to 3 left, which will be donated if they don't sell. I'm moving with a new bedroom set, two chairs and an ottoman. Can't wait to start the fun part of buying some new furniture and decorating. Can't wait, in general, to be out of "this old house" and into a no-care (or at least far less-care) condo!

I goofed off all day, after I sent Mr B off on his road trip to NH. I stayed behind because I simply was not in the mood to travel 5 hours one way, sleep in a strange bed for 3 nights, just to go out for dinner Sunday and run his Mom around doing shopping errands all day Monday. He will drive back on Tuesday.

We are never "allowed" to do any sightseeing out in the local area. We've tried getting his Mom to be a little adventurous to go to other places besides her favorite places to eat, but no dice. It's very confining to me.

I know I'll get some negative points, but too bad. I've made that same 10 hour round-trip drive, 16 times in the last 4 years, doing the same exact things while there, so I begged off on this one.

So I have the house all to myself for 3.5 days. :dance:

What kind of deviltry can I come up with ? >:D

Really interesting interaction with DW today.

As mentioned before, we recently bought a condo and we're taking our sweet time about moving (probably by the end of June, but who knows?).

Meanwhile, we're starting to bring small things over there, although we won't be bringing furniture until everything is stable. We're having hardwood flooring in much of the main floor to replace the carpet, etc., etc.

Now we're looking at wall paint. There are four major colors used on walls throughout the place, and we have no clue exactly what they are (different paint manufacturers, no paint names or numbers available, etc.).

What we found out is that we see colors completely differently.
Color A: I hate it, she likes it.
Color B: She hates it, I don't care.
Color C: I like it, she doesn't care.

Even worse, she asks me what one of the colors is, and I reply "Pale purple." She gets this strange "What planet is this guy from?" look, and says "Really?"

I finally decided that the only sensible course of action is to let her do the colors and just try to ignore it all.

Honestly, I had no idea! :peace:

As mentioned before, we recently bought a condo and we're taking our sweet time about moving (probably by the end of June, but who knows?).

Meanwhile, we're starting to bring small things over there, although we won't be bringing furniture until everything is stable. We're having hardwood flooring in much of the main floor to replace the carpet, etc., etc.

Now we're looking at wall paint. There are four major colors used on walls throughout the place, and we have no clue exactly what they are (different paint manufacturers, no paint names or numbers available, etc.).

Even worse, she asks me what one of the colors is, and I reply "Pale purple." She gets this strange "What planet is this guy from?" look, and says "Really?"

I finally decided that the only sensible course of action is to let her do the colors and just try to ignore it all.

Good plan! ;)

MRG - glad to hear your heart is being cooperative!

I took my son (the one with the broken wrist) to go mentor the Challengers team with the rest of his team... (Challengers division is kids with special needs.) I have to say - those kids were AWESOME with their love of the game. The mentor/buddies just ran with them when they ran the base - or made suggestions on defense plays ("throw it to first - you can do it.) It didn't matter that my son couldn't throw - since he was just a buddy.

Then I took both sons to see the Avenger movie.

Next I'll take older son (the one with the broken face) to see his team play ball tonight.

Why don't you know who the paint manufacturers are? Is this new construction paint where you have no choice? Who picked out the paint at your previous home? Did you ever agree on paint? Have either of you had any change in your eye sight?

DW an I has ame color identification issue, resolved with cataract surgery. We now just have differences of shades of the color.:D She is in charge of decorating issues, she picks the colors.

Brau, you are moving in the right direction. "I love it!" is the right response to whatever she picks out!

Yes, that seems to work surprisingly well!
The fact is that I don't really care very much about the wall color, but when I'm asked my honest opinion of something I have this unfortunate tendency to actually give it. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom