what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the fruit market.

t2RwLBLzOuZYz4G9JmirgjDakEAGfg8eAO2WBZI1CWWw=s192-p-no

0GsXkBaUzzEeUbNHpZqtZSK6cqaVxvo3Hm6Ny0_SYr8B=s192-p-no

eKRNjCkgMUeMXvtULfWLbDN0QXmRr68uHXorq_3VJV9c=s192-p-no

Lots of gardening and yard work today. Feels good to finally get my flower pots all filled with colorful blooms.

We also cleaned off the front porch and cleaned out our shed. DH built a few shelves in the shed too.

DD figured out that if she runs around with a flashlight pointed at the ground, the puppy will chase the light on the ground. This provides endless entertainment for both of them and wears off some energy - a win-win.

I played a church gig this morning with a wind ensemble. Very nice service with Memorial Day remembrances. Dozed off this afternoon, shopped, then grilled steaks and veggies, and cleaned the pool. I had to water my veggies since it's warm clear and dry in the mid-Atlantic. Turned the pool heater back on but then we'll shut it off. We will be swimming tomorrow after a long car ride to pick up the last load of DS's stuff from his college apartment. He's glad to be home and I will enjoy it while it lasts since the job hunt starts Tuesday. (Hey, I'm a mom; part of me never wants the kid to leave, even while I'm trying to kick him out.) 90 degrees forecast for Tuesday. And I'm not working at long last. It seems like a day in the pool is in store for that day as well.

Wow!!! This RE stuff is sweet indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

DH and I played in our first Pickleball tournament together today. Most married couples don't play together due to the marital discourse it causes but we played well together and won silver.

Congrats on the medal, Lisa99!

Got my morning walk in and then decided to clean the gas grill - it flamed up badly last night when I was grilling sausages for dinner so I knew it was [-]time[/-] overdue. It's 5 years old and some of the bars that catch drips above the burners (I think they call them "flavorizers") are rusted through in spots. :(

Caught up on all of the flood news and made a donation to help with repairs at John Knox Ranch, where both kids were campers for many years and DS was a counselor also. Still a several people missing and lots homeless. More rain forecast for today. Unfortunately, this is the kind of rain event it takes to restore the lakes (our drinking water supply).

Saw my first two moose on the way in to town for church yesterday morning. I had heard reports that they hang out at an old ranch about four miles down the road and that is exactly where they were.

My morning run was ruined this morning, but I did a good deed that was more important.

There was a 5K at our mountain community. It has a very small turnout by most race standards (usually fewer than 20 runners and 25 walkers) but it's a fundraiser for a good cause so I usually run it. I don't race it, but use it as one of my weekly runs for exercise.

One mile into today's race I encountered a nine year old girl who was running her first race. Mom sent her out alone. (I met Mom later-- she probably couldn't have walked the three miles let alone run it). Like most nine year olds running for the first time, she went out way too fast and was walking at the mile marker. I stayed with her, trying to get her to jog slowly but we walked most of the time. She didn't want me to leave her. Even when I could've left her with a group of walkers, she had latched onto me and asked me to stay with her.

So my planned 5K at faster-than-normal pace turned into a morning walk. But at least I did my best to prevent a young runner from crying.

Good for you, Philliefan!

My morning run was ruined this morning, but I did a good deed that was more important.

There was a 5K at our mountain community. It has a very small turnout by most race standards (usually fewer than 20 runners and 25 walkers) but it's a fundraiser for a good cause so I usually run it. I don't race it, but use it as one of my weekly runs for exercise.

One mile into today's race I encountered a nine year old girl who was running her first race. Mom sent her out alone. (I met Mom later-- she probably couldn't have walked the three miles let alone run it). Like most nine year olds running for the first time, she went out way too fast and was walking at the mile marker. I stayed with her, trying to get her to jog slowly but we walked most of the time. She didn't want me to leave her. Even when I could've left her with a group of walkers, she had latched onto me and asked me to stay with her.

So my planned 5K at faster-than-normal pace turned into a morning walk. But at least I did my best to prevent a young runner from crying.

Good for you! I'm sure that little girl will always remember your kindness. :flowers:

Good for you! I'm sure that little girl will always remember your kindness. :flowers:

I sure hope so. At the award ceremony, I learned that the 3rd place female finished at about my typical finish time. If I had been running myself, I may have been able to beat her and finish third. I rarely get that chance. Of course, then I would've been over on the "decluttering" thread posting about throwing away a silly plastic trophy.

Monday was 'icky' - grey, drizzle, wet, chill.

So we all stayed in, I listened to music on the family room system, surfed the net, read some magazines, and prepped for dinner which turned out nice! Smoked tri-tip, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and garden salad.

5-25-15-Tritip.jpg

Monday was 'icky' - grey, drizzle, wet, chill.

So we all stayed in, I listened to music on the family room system, surfed the net, read some magazines, and prepped for dinner which turned out nice! Smoked tri-tip, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and garden salad.

5-25-15-Tritip.jpg

Yum!

It's rained here for forty days and nights (and counting...), so haven't taken my smoker out of the garage yet.

BBQNut, that looks scrumptious. My DH does not have the stereotypical male "grilling" gene. He has absolutely no interest in cooking on the grill-- even something simple like burgers. I do 90% of the grilling here, I can only occasionally get him to help out by doing burgers or the occasional hot dog. I wish he wanted to be a grill master, but since he has so many other great qualities I have learned to adjust 😊.

BBQNut, that looks scrumptious. My DH does not have the stereotypical male "grilling" gene. He has absolutely no interest in cooking on the grill-- even something simple like burgers. I do 90% of the grilling here, I can only occasionally get him to help out by doing burgers or the occasional hot dog. I wish he wanted to be a grill master, but since he has so many other great qualities I have learned to adjust ��.

Why thank you!

I have a passion for grilling, bbq'ing, and cooking.

The most moving comment I got was last year from my father - we were visiting along w/ my brother - nice family gathering.

My brother is a certified chef - and we took turns cooking meals for my parents (and mom is a fantastic cook - she is the benchmark).

I did grilled salmon and grilled asparagus which turned out to perfection.

My dad does not cook at all aside from a breakfast of bacon and eggs.

He takes a taste of the salmon and asparagus and says kinda under his breath "Delicious - must be in the genes." :D

[under the table fist pump]

I just got back from the Adirondacks...I jumped in the Mustang a few days ago and went to Old Forge just for the heck of it. I had a few brewskis and watched the Memorial Day tourist surge. I left way before dark to avoid the fireworks crowd, and also to be ahead of the dusk deer-in-the-road effect.
I stopped for gas in Boonville and called a lady friend to see what she was up to. I was promptly told to "get my butt over to the house" for dinner.
Mr B was studying anyway, so he gave me a kitchen pass plus.

I spent 2.5 days hanging out with her and her 2 dogs. We watched "50 Shades of Grey". Very visually tantalizing but also kind of creepy movie.

We spent a lot of time talking about her brother, who is one of my dearest veteran buddies. He has terminal cancer. His time is very short.
It is really wearing her down mentally and physically...the worry, the months of home care giving and now visiting and trying to be of comfort to him in the hospital nursing facility.
She was so grateful for the company. We covered a lot of sensitive subjects that she needed input on. She and her brother totally trust me, versus supposed local "friends" who have proven to be otherwise in this terrible situation.
She is also a veteran. Her brother asked me months ago to keep an eye out for her no matter what happened to him.
And that I shall do.

Being a VA Volunteer can sometimes be difficult, but by helping others, I grow in spirit. I cannot think of any better way to spend Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Today took apart the pressure washer, cleaned the carb, and power washed the dock. Also made gopro mounts for the kayak and pontoon boat. Also made a safety leash so that I'll be able to retrieve the gopro easier the next time I drop it in the lake.

Played 18 holes of golf, at least six in the pouring rain. My game is improving! Had lunch in the clubhouse with golfing friends. Then went for my routine eye check. It's been a week of checkups. It's all good except that I am getting deafer. But I knew that.

I took this picture quite literally 2 minutes ago. Wine in one hand, book in the other. Orcas have yet to appear but lots of porpoises, seals, and eagles dive bombing for fish right out front. It's better than any movie I'd care to see... Debating whether or not to go out and try to get another fish. But that might feel like too much effort really right now. There is always tomorrow. With ER there is always tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 37
I just got back from the Adirondacks...I jumped in the Mustang a few days ago and went to Old Forge just for the heck of it. I had a few brewskis and watched the Memorial Day tourist surge. I left way before dark to avoid the fireworks crowd, and also to be ahead of the dusk deer-in-the-road effect.
I stopped for gas in Boonville and called a lady friend to see what she was up to. I was promptly told to "get my butt over to the house" for dinner.
Mr B was studying anyway, so he gave me a kitchen pass plus.

I spent 2.5 days hanging out with her and her 2 dogs. We watched "50 Shades of Grey". Very visually tantalizing but also kind of creepy movie.

We spent a lot of time talking about her brother, who is one of my dearest veteran buddies. He has terminal cancer. His time is very short.
It is really wearing her down mentally and physically...the worry, the months of home care giving and now visiting and trying to be of comfort to him in the hospital nursing facility.
She was so grateful for the company. We covered a lot of sensitive subjects that she needed input on. She and her brother totally trust me, versus supposed local "friends" who have proven to be otherwise in this terrible situation.
She is also a veteran. Her brother asked me months ago to keep an eye out for her no matter what happened to him.
And that I shall do.

Being a VA Volunteer can sometimes be difficult, but by helping others, I grow in spirit. I cannot think of any better way to spend Memorial Day.

This brought a tear to my eye. Your friend and his sister are very fortunate indeed to have you in their lives.

This brought a tear to my eye. Your friend and his sister are very fortunate indeed to have you in their lives.
Actually, it is I who is the fortunate one to have them in my life. It brings out the nurturer spirit in me.
I am blessed to have friends like this, the true blue type, who call on me to be of comfort just by being there to listen and give input.

And...I have gained a "sister" in the process. :D

Today I celebrated the 10th anniversary of my retirement.

How did I celebrate? I posted this. :)

The very best 10 years of my life...

Congratulations! :flowers: :dance: :dance:

Edited to add: I dug up this old post, which shows me that you were pretty happy that day!

After a day of cleaning up a few (very few) loose ends and saying goodbye to more people than I ever imagined, I pulled out of the parking lot this afternoon and realized I am

FREE AT LAST! FREE AT LAST! THANK GOD ALMIGHTY WE ARE I'M FREE AT LAST!

(All due respects and credits to the heirs of MLK for permission to use the above.)

REWahoo!, formerly REWanabe, who retired TODAY! :D :D :LOL:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom