what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took six books to the library, four returns and two donations. Came back with five to read.

My goodness...is FIRE ever magical. Humpbacks, orcas...work stress a distant memory... Will be cooking fish n' chips in an hour with fish I caught an hour ago...this FIRE'd life is everything I had hoped it would be...no...it's better.

Ha! DW and I were there. Her 59th birthday present. Great show ( our 1st Buffet concert) Tailgaters were wild. Lots of drunk, happy people. T-shirts $40 to $70 -- we just bought another beer.... Buffet is one hell of a marketing genius....

I've only seen Buffet once, live... and that was in the early 80's. It was at San Diego State's outdoor amplitheater - and they used to let you bring in coolers as long as you didn't have glass. People had plastic jugs of margeritas!

Bonnie Raitt opened - and she came out and commented "I know why you guys are applauding so loud.... I see those coolers!!!"

It was a great show.

Unfortunately - the venue changed the rules on containers shortly after that.

I've only seen Buffet once, live... and that was in the early 80's. It was at San Diego State's outdoor amplitheater - and they used to let you bring in coolers as long as you didn't have glass. People had plastic jugs of margeritas!

Bonnie Raitt opened - and she came out and commented "I know why you guys are applauding so loud.... I see those coolers!!!"

It was a great show.

Unfortunately - the venue changed the rules on containers shortly after that.

Care to date yourself on when that was??:LOL:

I'm a UCSD alumni - and we had some parties in the early 80's that would be shocking by today's 'standards'. :dance:

I've been to two Buffett shows, both awesome because of the venues: one was down in Hilton Head at the high school football field and the other was a special benefit show he did after Hurricane Hugo in Charleston at the tiny King Street Palace. It was DH and my first official "date". I knew he was a keeper when he showed up in the wee morning hours while I stood in line for tickets (wow, dating myself there) and brought me coffee with a shot of Jameson in it! Considering I was a wee bit underage at the time, I was MOST impressed!

I've never been to one of his stadium shows, but I'd love to do the tailgating!

I helped oldest DD move from her apartment to a rental town home. The new place is farther from campus, but in a nicer area and the new living arrangements will save her $150/month in rent. That's significant to a poor graduate student. Luckily she had some of her 25-year old, weightlifter/fitness buff friends to do the heavy work. My contribution was to drive DH's pickup and hold doors open.

DH wasn't there to help because he's on a contract in VA. He gets the weekend off, but it's a tough drive home so he stayed there to relax at the hotel pool. He texted this afternoon...somehow he ended up getting asked to work security at an Alabama concert tonight.

Completed our first cycling century ride today with my son. It was a great ride on a beautiful day. I was pleasantly surprised that it was also one of our quickest. Now it's time to relax.

Downloaded overdrive and set up the account. Now I'm going to use the e-library. They also have magazines and music. Why did I take so long to do this?

Not an exciting day by any means, but it feels good to change the bed and get 5 loads of laundry washed and put away. It will make the work week go so much smoother.

Now onto getting the vacuum rolling.

Just finished my final "self-evaluation" for w*rk. Of course I walk on water!

Not planning on being out the door until December but with my company splitting into two Fortune 50s, they've accelerated the 'end of year' performance review to July 1. My part is complete and I could care less what rating I get.

I'm still hoping to get lucky and get the boot August 1 when we do operational cutover for the two companies but I'm managing global communications for the finance split so I doubt they'll let me go until the split is completely done... but one can hope!

Somehow my front tooth chipped (just had them cleaned last week) so contemplating what all that involves. Going to a high school grad bbq tonight and had "nothing" to wear so off to Ann Taylor Loft for causal clothes. Luckily they had a great 40% off sale- I never pay full price for clothes or shoes.

Now sitting here, surfing the net, wondering why my left eye is hurting and thinking - what now?!

Completed my first half marathon running race today, with a time just a bit over 1:45, pretty happy with that!

DW and DSs away for the day - so quiet breakfast, some morning chores, then the usual Sunday grocery shopping w/ a nice $20 off coupon.

Unpacked the groceries, went on my customary walk/hike in the open space preserve next to my house. Call mom and dad at home to check up on how they were doing.

Prepped the burgers, corn, and fries for dinner later, then put on some music and enjoyed a nice cold beer on the back patio.

Somehow my front tooth chipped (just had them cleaned last week) so contemplating what all that involves.........

A corner of my front tooth chipped and I had it bonded. I found the bonding only lasted about a year before the material wore back to the tooth surface. The second bonding lasted only a few months. Dentist was first recommending a veneer, but later found stress cracks on back of tooth, so I'll need a full crown. Currently procrastinating. :blush:

DH & I went thru boxes of old photographs as part of our pre-move scale down efforts.

We used to make kites -- we were quite good back in the day (pats self on back) -- and we attended lots of kite festivals, and we had dozens of envelopes of photos from those festivals, back before digital photography became mainstream. Most of those photos were cr@p but some were keepers. And I went thru a figure skating fan phase back in the 1990s - early 2000s, so I had another pile of photos to wade thru (I kept only a few of those). And lots of photos from other events early in our marriage, many of those were keepers.

It was fun to go down memory lane, but boy oh boy am I glad we have digital photography now! :LOL:

ETA: And I really appreciate the info in this thread, how timely! Old photographs

Last edited:
Went to my husband's CD release show and party in Oakland, CA. It was a great party and celebration! He's the drummer in a three piece instrumental rock band called Points North. Some background: the guys met on Craigslist, when my husband put out an ad hoping to hook up with like minded musicians. DH and the guitar player have day jobs. The bass player is a full time musician-used to play with White Snake. Influences are: Rush, Dixie Dregs, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson. They are on Magna Carta records (small niche label) Here is a video of them playing the song "Ignition" 95,000 views on Youtube so far. Honestly? They play for the love of it. I would just be happy if it would pay for itself!

Last edited:
Last night had a unique experience. We (9 ladies, mostly church friends ) had a going away party for a tumor. One of our group starts chemo and radiation this week for colorectal cancer, so we arranged a party at one of the "bring your wine and paint" places to say goodbye to her tumor. A very good time was had by all. We agreed that when she's done with all of the treatments and surgery (February) we'll have a bonfire with these paintings and go back for a new happy painting.

Today was a hymn festival at church (meaning the choir provided the sermon - a lot of singing) so I took a nice nap after lunch. Did laundry, talked with my sister and both kiddos, cooked steaks on the grill. So nice to have some sunshine - we really needed the rain over the past month but it was getting to feel like Portland.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Care to date yourself on when that was??:LOL:

I'm a UCSD alumni - and we had some parties in the early 80's that would be shocking by today's 'standards'. :dance:

Next time you're in San Diego, go and see my DH's band, Points North. They do a Rush cover band "Fred Barchetta" Ramona, June 19th. Probably the best Rush tribute band out there!

Checked out my birthday present from DW. We spent about two hours cruising the backyard and had a lot of fun since it's a good work out and gives you a different perspective on home.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 30
Went to my husband's CD release show and party in Oakland, CA. It was a great party and celebration! He's the drummer in a three piece instrumental rock band called Points North. Some background: the guys met on Craigslist, when my husband put out an ad hoping to hook up with like minded musicians. DH and the guitar player have day jobs. The bass player is a full time musician-used to play with White Snake. Influences are: Rush, Dixie Dregs, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson. They are on Magna Carta records (small niche label) Here is a video of them playing the song "Ignition" 95,000 views on Youtube so far. Honestly? They play for the love of it. I would just be happy if it would pay for itself!

Wow! Those guys are great!

Spent the weekend here with the entire family (two daughters, their husbands and our five grandkids) celebrating the end of the school year. Very enjoyable and laid back. The grandkids spent hours fishing in the pond - they had a great time, and so did we.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom