what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity: Is it ever daylight over there at 6 am? On TV shows, despite the very early hours people go to work, it always seem to be dayligjht. Here in Spain (Galicia) the earliest we have light is 7 am these days for a very short period, 3 weeks more or less.

Actually, it is daylight at 6 am here right now, but just barely. I still turn on the headlights of my car while driving to work. It is pitch black when my alarm clock rings at 5:30.

Thought about a parade, but too much traffic! Easier to relax and watch from TV! It's such a nice day for a parade though!
Maybe I'll go next year, Go Lakers!

Parade will be in Dallas next year... :whistle:

I rarely commute any more, but when I do (into Austin, 75 miles each way), I usually leave the house between 4:30 and 5 AM, arrive between 6:00 and 6:30, and leave by around 3:00.

I hate getting up that early, but if there's one thing I hate even more, it's big city rush hour traffic. I've become really spoiled by living out here.

They don't have traffic in Austin, do they? :LOL:

Parade will be in Dallas next year... :whistle:
You are referring to the Cotton Bowl Parade, right?
img_827256_0_8348b966afe2e095cca724cc26742c22.gif

I can get to work in 6 minutes if I leave at 5:50 AM or so. But it can take me 45 minutes to get home if I leave at 5 PM, or longer if there is an accident. The distance that I commute is very small, but I have to go over a bridge that can get very congested with traffic during rush hour.

At one point, when I lived in the Oakland hills, I had a consulting job in the Potrero Hill area of San Francisco. I was able to get there in about 15 minutes (IIRC). I'd wake up at 5:40, and within about 5 minutes I'd be in the car (I'd just have a granola bar and milk for breakfast). I timed it so that I'd get to the toll booth at 5:55. The carpool lane took effect at 6 AM, but they often switched that lane to "FREE" five minutes early. What a wudge I was.

Today, I surfed on the net, watched TV talking heads, ran 5 miles, mowed the lawn, attended a financial counseling meeting, walked the dog, talked to neighbors, and now I'm winding down and about to watch TV. Pretty good first retirement day. Happy I'm not working. ;)

...attended a financial counseling meeting,...

Pretty good first retirement day. Happy I'm not working. ;)

Whoa whoa whoa, what was that "financial counseling meeting"? Did it come with a free lunch?:)

Sounds like a perfect first day, enjoy many many more!:dance:

Had to travel during morning rush hour today to go to my Hot Stone Massage class.....people look so darn unhappy!
Second day of not smoking (hypnosis) and it is going really well.....no anxiety or the urge to kill someone.
Had one hot stone treatment.....WOW.....everyone needs to experience this at least once!
Came home from the workshop and slept for about three hours.....it tends to have a detoxifying affect ;)

Whoa whoa whoa, what was that "financial counseling meeting"? Did it come with a free lunch?:)

Sounds like a perfect first day, enjoy many many more!:dance:
The financial counseling meeting was a disaster. I wasted two hours listening to an insurance guy telling me the virtues of an income annuity. No free lunch. This meeting was suggested by a coworker. I got sucked in on that one. :banghead:

The financial counseling meeting was a disaster. I wasted two hours listening to an insurance guy telling me the virtues of an income annuity. No free lunch. This meeting was suggested by a coworker. I got sucked in on that one. :banghead:

Seems like a small price to pay to get to the other side, you escaped the w*rking world and a sc*mball (can I say that?) all at once. You deserve a few days (or years) off.:D

Seems like a small price to pay to get to the other side, you escaped the w*rking world and a sc*mball (can I say that?) all at once. You deserve a few days (or years) off.:D
You are so right! I'm going to take a rest. I gotta get more laid back! ;)

Actually, it is daylight at 6 am here right now, but just barely. I still turn on the headlights of my car while driving to work. It is pitch black when my alarm clock rings at 5:30.

Interesting. You are straight south of me. The sun rises here at about 5:00 am and sets after nine. The sky is pretty light by 4:00 am and until after 10:00 pm.

Interesting. You are straight south of me. The sun rises here at about 5:00 am and sets after nine. The sky is pretty light by 4:00 am and until after 10:00 pm.

Interesting! I guess you are closer to the Land of the Midnight Sun than is New Orleans. :) Maybe we will have longer summer days in Missouri than we have here, once we move there.

Had one hot stone treatment.....WOW.....everyone needs to experience this at least once!)

Hmmm...I had a hot stone treatment ONCE. I enjoyed it very much, but I was asking some questions afterwards. Found out it was a uncomfortable for the person giving the treatment because of those hot stones. So, I haven't had one since.:(

Well, go to Costco and enjoy the ER buffet. At least you'll get your free lunch! :LOL:

Set humane traps for strawberry bandits, weeded the garden a little, surfed, picked up seizure meds for my dog Bruno, read some international news :nonono:, cooking boneless pork with bacon, cumin and citrus juice using a recipe from my Southwest cookbook...I love FIRE. :D

My day started early...at 12:15 a.m we went to bed. DH got a craving for lasagna after "exercising". :whistle: Fortunately there was some in the freezer and at 1:30 a.m. I was serving him lasagna and wine.

I had quesadillas. :blush:

My day started early...at 12:15 a.m we went to bed. DH got a craving for lasagna after "exercising". :whistle: Fortunately there was some in the freezer and at 1:30 a.m. I was serving him lasagna and wine.

I had quesadillas. :blush:

Loooooove your day!
I went to the second day of the workshop.....and am now certified in hot stone therapy.

It all depends on how your handle the stones as well.....there is a way to rotate them which takes the heat off your hands so you don't get burned!

Need to make a couple of lasagnas for an anniversary tomorrow.

Today

I have begun taking Fridays off to use up vacation time before I lose it in August. I met a retired friend and her husband for lunch, and then she and I went to see the new Sandra Bullock movie, The Proposal. Cute but nothing earth shattering. Friend wanted to go for a pedicure after, but I declined. Prefer to do my own foot care. I could get used to this retired gig. She plays a lot of bridge and gardens extensively so she keeps busy. He works out at a gym daily and manages their finances. I am observing how the "retired" fill their days with more interest these days. This couple also spending most of next month in Australia. Then August at the Jersey shore.

Spent the morning doing errands - Post Office, library, dog food, etc. After lunch I went out and FINALLY finished the newspaper and mulching of the giant bed in the backyard. Sucker has taken over 70 bags of mulch. But it's looking great now.

Dinner, then into Ocean City for a long walk on the boardwalk. Did the whole thing, about 4.5 miles. I don't usually go into the crowds on a weekend in thesummer, but DW was in the mood, and I have to admit is was sort of fun. Walking, at least. Driving back home involved some drunk firemen (115th Fireman's Convention). You'd think they'd be the ones who understood about drinking and driving, but noooo...

Spent a few hours on a sawmill job and then we had a couple here to meet our foster dog. Millie is a sheltie we've been working with for about 12 weeks, she is 13 months old and blind/deaf from birth. She's now 95% house trained, loves to walk on a leash and is full of energy as a pup should be. The couple fell for her and took her home- they'll have their hands full for a while as Millie gets adjusted to the new surroundings and her wake up habit of about 5:30 am. One of the people is only gone about 3 hours a day so Millie will have lots of attention and company. Time to take a break from fostering for a while we think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom