what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you do today?
Ycch!... You don't wanna know.
On Memorial Day after a jewel four day visit with our whole family at the lake, all downhill from there.
Last day, DW broken arm after after a bad fall... emergency room visit... now, cast for 6 weeks.
Five days later, moi... emergency room visit having to do with BPH... You can guess what that means. No clue, no forewarning and fortunately not serious. After that quick brush with death, two weeks of staying home until the health appliance is no longer necessary.
No pain for either of us, just nuisance value and a few weeks of missing time at our poor man's lakeside Shangri-la.
Accounts for more time here with long and wordy posts. Hopefully by Friday, the all clear. Grass needs mowing, seawall, fixing, firewood, splitting, and the roads and trails need biking.
Cheers!:flowers:

Attachments

• Woodhaven Lakes Sublette Illinois.jpg
    Woodhaven Lakes Sublette Illinois.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
We recently needed repair work on our deck and soffits . We contacted several builders including some from Angie's list , Home Advisor , Lowes & home depot . They would not show up or gave ridiculous quotes . I finally checked craigs list and found a builder . He came when he said he would . His estimate was reasonable and he has done a great job . Who would have guessed Craigs list was the place to go ?

Last edited:
Went to the bank to get my brother on all my accounts. This counts as a will in our family since we have no other assets. He'll care for my animals should something happen. Then to out for a Japanese lunch, then the library to pick up some books, one about the first detective in the United States.

Quiet breakfast before DW went to w*rk, and youngest DS went to school (oldest DS is home from college and was still sleeping).

Piddled about doing some chores, then decided to get out of the house.

Drove up to the San Elijo Lagoon to check out the Visitor Center, walk around a bit.

Then connected in a visit to Lou's Records in Encinitas.

I flipped thru all of the used rock LPs and came home with several cheap buys from 99 cents to 3.99 each.

Cleaned them up on my record cleaning machine and am playing them now.

Prep for dinner later.

Just got done cleaning and restaining/watersealing about 200 sq ft of deck and cleaned out about 40 feet of gutter to boot - by myself. I guess I could have waited for the husband to help over the weekend, but I kind of take a bit of pride in getting this stuff done without any help, and he really appreciates me taking care of things like this so he doesn't have to work like a dog on his days off too.

And I think it counts for moderate exercise, so I feel pretty good about it!

I'm sore and a bit sunburned despite wearing sunblock and giant hat, but at least the deck looks nice again and the gutter won't overflow during the next rain. :D

If the weather holds through tomorrow, I'll attempt to mow and edge the front and back yard as well. I love having all this time to do chores around the house now - it seems less trouble when I can decide when I want to work on this stuff instead of stuffing it into the little bit of time off I had from work.

Baking bread tonight, and maybe start some dough for pizza crust as well. Have to see how I feel.

Just got done cleaning and restaining/watersealing about 200 sq ft of deck and cleaned out about 40 feet of gutter to boot - by myself. I guess I could have waited for the husband to help over the weekend, but I kind of take a bit of pride in getting this stuff done without any help, and he really appreciates me taking care of things like this so he doesn't have to work like a dog on his days off too.

And I think it counts for moderate exercise, so I feel pretty good about it!

I'm sore and a bit sunburned despite wearing sunblock and giant hat, but at least the deck looks nice again and the gutter won't overflow during the next rain. :D

If the weather holds through tomorrow, I'll attempt to mow and edge the front and back yard as well. I love having all this time to do chores around the house now - it seems less trouble when I can decide when I want to work on this stuff instead of stuffing it into the little bit of time off I had from work.

Baking bread tonight, and maybe start some dough for pizza crust as well. Have to see how I feel.

How badly gunked were the gutters?

I've cleaned up ours and can be an icky mess.

Do you do windows too?:D

Chaperoned a trip to the San Diego Zoo with a bunch of 6th graders. My feet hurt. You can tell the kids and the teachers are ready for the school year to be over.

The timing kind of sucked - School starts at 7:25am, but the field trip wasn't till 9am. The traffic back to our house during morning rush is HORRID (which is why I have them take the school bus in most mornings because the freeway is a parking lot returning home)... so I hung out at Starbucks for 90 minutes between drop off and chaperone duties.

The commute from school to the zoo was easy - it's literally next door to the school.

While I wasn't planning on it, it was a beautiful day and a friend was playing 9 holes with his son so I joined them. Walked about 3.5 miles in the process. Played poorly... talk about a good walk spoiled!

Had lunch with DS before he went to work on second shift and then ran some errands.

Chaperoned a trip to the San Diego Zoo with a bunch of 6th graders. My feet hurt. You can tell the kids and the teachers are ready for the school year to be over.

The timing kind of sucked - School starts at 7:25am, but the field trip wasn't till 9am. The traffic back to our house during morning rush is HORRID (which is why I have them take the school bus in most mornings because the freeway is a parking lot returning home)... so I hung out at Starbucks for 90 minutes between drop off and chaperone duties.

The commute from school to the zoo was easy - it's literally next door to the school.

Sorry - almost sprayed my afternoon beer reading this(as I could vividly imagine your ordeal).:LOL:

My condolences.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more peaceful and fulfilling day:D

I was just joking about living inside the truck. ;)

On the road, I have seen semitruck drivers with presumably their wifes in the cab with them. I wonder what the space in the cab behind the seats look like. It made a nice niche for a driver to catch a wink during a rest, but is there enough space for two? Do they take turns?

Do they take turns doing what? :cool:

Trying to get over sticker shock for our pending 5th wheel and truck purchase to pull it. The 5th wheel is very well built and I have no issues shelling out 50k for it, it's basically a small home after all. But the truck required to pull it costs as much as the RV!

We always go used, but to find a Chevy 3500HD Duramax dually with relatively low miles under 50k has turned into quite the adventure!

Before we decided to go 5th wheel I was fully prepared to drop $150k on a Class A so I'm not quite sure why the cost of the truck has me in a twist.

We always go used, but to find a Chevy 3500HD Duramax dually with relatively low miles under 50k has turned into quite the adventure!

Been there and feel your pain.

I ended up buying new as I could not locate a good, low mileage diesel Duramax back when I was looking in 2011. It was the most I've ever paid for a non-RV vehicle. :nonono:

Do they take turns doing what? :cool:

Catching a wink, as I said. Or they can entertain each other ;), but the point is that the space is tight. See linked photo of a modern bobtail cabin. There's room for an upper bunk bed. Perhaps they have that available as an option.

m-587-sleeper-pano-3-2013-rgb-300dpi.jpg

Last edited:
Been there and feel your pain.

I ended up buying new as I could not locate a good, low mileage diesel Duramax back when I was looking in 2011. It was the most I've ever paid for a non-RV vehicle. :nonono:

NEW? What is this strange word that you speak of.... NEW?? :LOL:

But we're rapidly heading in that direction. As a married couple of 25 years we've never bought new and the last new vehicle I bought NEW was when I was stupid with money in like 1983.

But this is a long term investment in our retirement travels (albeit a depreciating one) and I'd rather not spend that kind of money without knowing the truck's history. With NEW it has no history and we have the warranty to back it up.

The funny thing about this whole RV combo purchase is that it will end up costing 3x what I paid for my first 1400 sq ft house... but C'est la vie, we only live once and I've always dreamed about traveling the country so now isn't the time to be cheap!

Catching a wink, as I said. Or they can entertain each other ;), but the point is that the space is tight. See linked photo of a modern bobtail cabin. There's room for an upper bunk bed. Perhaps they have that available as an option.

m-587-sleeper-pano-3-2013-rgb-300dpi.jpg

Um, at 25 years married we're over the need to be that close. My hubbies shoes wouldn't fit into that space much less his shoes and our two bodies! Divorce would be imminent and I kinda like him so think we'll pass. Although it is a really pretty interior... looks very Star Trek-ish.

The funny thing about this whole RV combo purchase is that it will end up costing 3x what I paid for my first 1400 sq ft house... but C'est la vie, we only live once and I've always dreamed about traveling the country so now isn't the time to be cheap!

3x? Pffftttt. Try 10x... :p

... My hubbies shoes wouldn't fit into that space...

Nah. That bed is a lot wider than the 1st class seat I once had in a 747, which I did not have to pay for. Nowadays, just the thought of the cost of a business seat for long-haul flights brings tears to my eyes. But I digress.

The problem I see is that there's no toilet. That is the real deal breaker for me.

I've gone through the stuff in my freezer and cooked the stuff that had been in there the longest. Went to Petco bought dog and cat treats.

Tried out a new bakery that had been voted #1 by The Washingtonian Magazine (Wash D.C.). The sandwich was pretty good, the bread was fresh baked, some tasty cold cuts, and lots of cucumber and cilantro. All for just $4.20.

Then I did some gardening, laundry, enjoyed dinner and now visiting the Forum.

After 2 years of ER, I have only just gotten things organized enough now to start enjoying it. During my working years, I was so busy with work and especially the business travel that I neglected tasks such as decluttering and small household repairs. The past 2 years had been all about selling stuff on craigslist or Amazon, donating excess clothes and furniture, and organizing the home. I have been busy with these tasks but it was enjoyable.

So today is the first day since I ER'd that I feel like I have the luxury of enjoying this Forum :)

How badly gunked were the gutters?

I've cleaned up ours and can be an icky mess.

Do you do windows too?:D

:LOL:
Thanks for reminding me about the windows... added to the list.

We have gutter guards on most of our gutters but for some brainless reason I told them to leave them off this once section during installation and this part just happened to be near the property line with the neighbor's live oaks slightly overhanging. So it's been about 4 years since installed and they were completely full to the top with leaves and acorns and even had a small tree growing in there (which was what triggered the "oh crap I need to clean that out" thought). Top layer leaves and organic mush, bottom roofing gravel runoff. Used an old mug and bucket to scoop it all out but it's been dry so at least it wasn't a gooey mess!

I'm picking up gutter guard mesh sometime this month to prevent a repeat of this.

Off to mow and edge now, and making salmon patties for dinner - the secret ingredient is adding a handful of super sharp cheddar and replacing the breadcrumbs with crushed cheese crackers - usually Pepperidge Farm goldfish because I like the pun of "real" goldfish in fish patties. :blush:

Today was a Costco day, managed to get out of there under $100 - yeah me! Now making a ton of drumsticks as I thought I had picked up thighs...yeah, I get kind of dazed in there. Luckily I had already picked up the bottle of prosecco so all is not lost.

Another practice ER day yesterday. Went on a mid- morning hike with my hiking / outdoor club and we did almost 6 miles. During the hike I quizzed a couple of +65 folks about their Medicare cost and experiences. Both had self paid high deductible HI prior to 65 and were very happy to get on Medicare..."like getting a $1,000 per mo raise". No problems with seeing Drs etc.

Another full retired fellow told me about his volunteer work (giving tax help via AARP and SCORE mentoring...some of his more physically active buddies do habitat for humanity work)

After the hike a few of us went to nearby tavern for lunch.

Back home - I figured out how to get /pay for my fishing license on-line and now I'm legal...expect to wet a hook this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom