what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last two weekends I have performed music 7 times:
6/6: orchestra concert in the park
6/7: band concert at a historical site (annual), orchestra concert in the park
6/13: band concert on the park, then played 2.5 hrs at a wedding reception with DH, my only paid gig and a total blast!!
6/14: church wind ensemble, then band concert in the park.
These are different bands, different parks.
At the end my chin below my lower lip developed a mild folliculitis from the moisture.

Finally a break. So yesterday afternoon I went back to cooking exploration--this time it's Ethiopian cuisine, and tending the garden. I need to transplant my artichoke plant out of it's rabbit protected area since it is getting big, and pull weeds big time.

Who has time to work:confused:?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Everyone woke up way to early this morning for the last day of school today. Younger son is with friends at Dave and Busters after his school day. Older son (and us) had to report to the San Diego zoo at 6:45am for promotion from middle school to high school. They gave us free tickets that included bus rides, tram rides, etc. (Better deal than the free ticket that was entry only for the field trip younger son went on last week.)

After seeing older son promote, we spent a few hours on the bus, then celebrated with Mexican food (older son's request).

Now I'm slowly but surely checking off items on my "to do" list since we leave on our big trip in just 3 days. Fortunately, the only scheduled things in the next 2 days is an orthodontist appt and dinner with my sister.... so I should be able to finish trip prep.

I made stuffed peppers for lunch today...I fried up some ground medium hot sausage, chopping it into very small pieces with the spatula. I chopped up some fresh tomato. I filled each pepper half with the sausage first, followed by a layer of fresh tomato pieces on top. I doused each liberally with olive oil and put them in to bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Pulled them out, let them cool down a little, and then covered them with a thick layer of mozzarella cheese. Back into the oven at 300 for 15 minutes. Wow !

I finally motivated myself to get the lawn mowed. Rain is expected at the end of the week, so I got out there today before it got to billy goat length.
I mow my lawn minimally. I like to let it go to seed and mow it strategically so the bare spots from winter kill get covered with seed and mulch naturally. Spreading grass seed and straw is not on my retirement to-do list. Spreading straw makes my sinuses go haywire. :nonono:

Just killing time until I have to surrender my laptop to watch the Red Sox game via the subscription service. I'll half watch it, reading my Kindle until the last few innings when it really counts.

Smoking 5 briskets (ti-tips) using Aaron Franklin's technique. He just won a James Beard award for his brisket at his hole in the wall joint in Austin. His new book..Franklin Barbecue- A meat-smoking manifesto, is best I've read on Texas style bbq.

Thanks for the book review - I was considering getting this for BIL in PA who loves to grill - so he can learn to do it right!

Have you ever been to Franklin's? We went a couple of years ago when you only had to stand in line about 2 hours - I hear it's much longer now. It was really good BBQ, but standing in line that long is crazy.

Everyone woke up way to early this morning for the last day of school today. Younger son is with friends at Dave and Busters after his school day. Older son (and us) had to report to the San Diego zoo at 6:45am for promotion from middle school to high school. They gave us free tickets that included bus rides, tram rides, etc. (Better deal than the free ticket that was entry only for the field trip younger son went on last week.)

After seeing older son promote, we spent a few hours on the bus, then celebrated with Mexican food (older son's request).

Now I'm slowly but surely checking off items on my "to do" list since we leave on our big trip in just 3 days. Fortunately, the only scheduled things in the next 2 days is an orthodontist appt and dinner with my sister.... so I should be able to finish trip prep.

Mexican food in San Diego makes me think of El Indio! DW and I thought that was the best Mexican food when we lived there in 1985.

Got caught in a 1.5" rainstorm while out for a hike. Came home, took a nap, and watched the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Husband is backpacking with our daughter as his Father's Day gift - she made all the arrangements, got the permits, food, etc. - so I'm here feeling a bit sorry for myself because I love backpacking. But, have stayed very busy putting the yard back together after getting the house painted, baking and freezing cookies, washing the car, and reading an excellent book that is on par with what Ernie Zelinsky puts out for retirement, called 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam. The book challenges readers to track exactly how they spend their time over the course of a 168 hour week, then compare the list to see how much time is really spent pursuing satisfying activities vs time wasted on things that don't deliver similar satisfaction. It's been very eye opening!

Chapter Two's exercise was to come up with a list of 100 Dreams. I came up with 150 in about an hour, and can't wait to share them with my husband when he returns home. Some great stuff on that list I'd forgotten had once been things we wanted to do, like bike the Oregon coastline, run the Vancouver BC Half Marathon, and backpack Mt. Rainier's Wonderland Trail. Time well spent, I must say!

I love books like that. I'm putting it on my to do read list.

What did you do today?
Ycch!... You don't wanna know.
On Memorial Day after a jewel four day visit with our whole family at the lake, all downhill from there.
Last day, DW broken arm after after a bad fall... emergency room visit... now, cast for 6 weeks.
Five days later, moi... emergency room visit having to do with BPH... You can guess what that means. No clue, no forewarning and fortunately not serious. After that quick brush with death, two weeks of staying home until the health appliance is no longer necessary.

I'm just catching up on this thread - I hope you are are feeling better imoldernu.

Today we had a nice lunch out, a pleasant phone chat with one of the kids, walked the dog and worked on decluttering and fixing up the guest bedroom. And I won $5 in a contest. It feels good getting the whole house organized this year but it is not a small project. But we are getting there - closet by closet. Over the weekend I was able to recycle all the old CFLs at Home Depot, so that was another box of clutter out the door.

I'm also spending some time learning to play the credit card reward, sign up and stacking games for miles / points. I am finishing up the minimum spending on a card for one of the kids and now started on a new card for us.

Last edited:
Got caught in a 1.5" rainstorm while out for a hike. Came home, took a nap, and watched the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup.

Well, I guess I don't need to watch my recording of the game from last night, lol. Just kidding, I was kind of hoping the Blackhawks would win in 7 games but will finish the game this afternoon. Since I don't have strong feelings about the outcome and wasn't emotionally invested in the series, I record most of the games and watch them when I have time. If I had a strong interest in the outcome, would watch them live to stay away from spoilers. My years in the past of being a Washington Capitols fan with no joy led me to just become a fan of the game and good hockey, regardless of the teams. I like it much better now!

We watched a movie last night instead of the live game (Black or White) and then some music before watching the first period of the game on the DVR. Very hot and humid here so was pretty tired after putting in 3 stairs at the river camp made from cinder blocks- only 12 blocks but digging out the ground, carrying the blocks and cement to the river bank was enough for me.

Family celebration for my uncle's 80th in the mountains of North Carolina. Everyone is insisting that 90's every day is unusual but fits my perception of the south since it is my first time here.

Had a great day doing some inflatable whitewater kayaking on the Nantahala river yesterday. Seemed odd to wear wetsuit bottoms in 90 degree weather but it was worth it when I wiped out in the falls at the end in the 55 degree water

Will have to come back to this area again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went back and had lunch with a couple of Megacorp buddies. There were a few other folks I knew at lunch and said hi to, but no conversation. A couple of guys were leaving I knew one, the other guy was a mystery to me. Of course he started talking to me, said hello and an awkward nice to see you. After they left I asked who was that guy? Well that's X person. No way this guy was very slender, the guy I knew was obese. He lost over 100 lbs. using diet and exercise. He's apparently kept the weight off for a year now.

While cutting the grass today, I came across a wallet and a bunch of credit cards strewn about under one of our trees. I recognized the name on the cards as my neighbor on the corner so I delivered the lot to his house. I don't know the story but I bet someone stole the wallet and rifled through it looking for cash, then dumped it in my yard.

Upon finishing the yard work I went in to shower and clean up, and realized that I didn't have my Discover credit card. I had used it at Wegman's this morning. I called Wegman's and they had it at the service desk-- someone found it in the parking lot and turned it in. Thank you very much!

Took DW to the airport yesterday, only 70 miles one way. She and her sisters are attending one of their nieces wedding in... Las Cruces NM. She called that the trip went well including a change of flights in Dallas, landing in ElPaso, renting a van and driving to LasCruces.

Anyhooo. She said the temp was 101F, but it is OK 'cause it is DRY HEAT! :LOL:
Before she left I suggested a big hat and a parasol. I don't care for anything above above 78F.

While cutting the grass today, I came across a wallet and a bunch of credit cards strewn about under one of our trees. I recognized the name on the cards as my neighbor on the corner so I delivered the lot to his house. I don't know the story but I bet someone stole the wallet and rifled through it looking for cash, then dumped it in my yard.

Upon finishing the yard work I went in to shower and clean up, and realized that I didn't have my Discover credit card. I had used it at Wegman's this morning. I called Wegman's and they had it at the service desk-- someone found it in the parking lot and turned it in. Thank you very much!

That's karma for you!

DW and I went to see Jurassic World yesterday. Definitely a film that needs a big screen.

DW and I went to see Jurassic World yesterday. Definitely a film that needs a big screen.

Is it worth seeing? I've seen varying reviews.

I stumbled across the trailer for The Martian - didn't even know they were going to make a movie of it. If it is half as good as the book that is a "must see".

Love this little bit at the end of the trailer:

Attachments

• help.JPG
    help.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 28
Sensing that our septic system is experiencing increased flows since our retirement, I had the septic tank pumped. Cut the grass, and spent some time trying to photograph the 2 foxes that have taken residence near our house.

Put a new defrost timer, thermostat and defrost heater into our old fridge and moved it to the garage for part time use. Power washed my driveway. Took a rest after a hot shower and wondered what appliance or other machine around here will fail next.

Quiet breakfast, DW took the day off from w*rk.

We then headed out to play lookie-loo at some fancy schmansy model homes in the Del Sur area.

Holy moly - the houses were on big 1/2 acre lots, all the luxury upgrades, humongous sq footage. Starting at the 'mid 1 million' mark.

Very nice....indeed. One model home had a 'super laundry room' with 2 washers, 2 dryers, a refrigerator, a doggy/pet tub/shower area, sink, and wine cooler.

Then we drove out up the I15 east of Rancho Bernardo into the Highland Valley area to visit a winery we've never been to - Cordianos.

We enjoyed the scenic hilly view and chatted up one of the older Italian vintners while sipping the 7-flight sampler special of reds. It did kinda feel like Italy(never been, but you know...from pictures...).

A bit warm, yes, but a nice breeze. Great pizza made on premises to compliment the wine. DW loved the Merlot, I really liked the Cabernet.

Drove home and now relaxing and trying to stay cool - got the fan going, front and back doors open, nice jazz on the music system, sipping a cold beverage before dinner.

I think DW is getting past her OMY hurdle as she commented that we could do this all the time!:D

Two washers, two dryers? Is it to run a laundromat to offset the 7-figure cost of the house?

We came back into town yesterday, because I am hosting a Father's Day lunch tomorrow. Just came back from a grocery run to get food for 16. My siblings and their married children will bring some food, but it's always better to have more than not enough. The stores were clean and air-conditioned. Food was plentiful and inexpensive. The store clerks were friendly. Life's great, no matter what tomorrow brings.

I intended to do some beef shish kabobs, but then saw that they had some sliced beef on sale. So, I now need to look up a Moroccan style seasoning for this beef, for it to go with a tabbouleh couscous salad. Did I already say that life's good?

Last edited:
Walked from our rental apartment to the Riposto Duomo. Ate some granita e brioche. Watched the interesting cloud formations over Mt. Etna.

Getting ready to go to dinner with half of the town of Riposto in attendance - all of the 2nd and 3rd cousins (husband's side) are going to meet us for a big pizza dinner. Seriously about 25-30 people, not counting us). It will be hard to top the pistachio and pancetta pizza I ate last night with one of the cousins.

Here's a picture of the granita experience... I had the pistachio and everyone else had ciocolatto

Attachments

• IMG_20150620_112655.jpg
    IMG_20150620_112655.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 22
Today was car maintenance day - change oil and filter, rotate tires, flush and refill brake system. I was working out in the driveway instead of in the garage, and it started raining before I was done, so it was less fun than normal. The young wife was less than pleased to trek out in the rain periodically to be my brake pedal pumper.

Replaced the rear shocks on my truck (45,000 miles) in an effort to improve the ride a bit for an upcoming RV trip. DW isn't a fan of the rough ride we got the last time we hauled the 5th wheel to FL on I-10. I keep wondering what the folks in LA do with the highway money they get from the US govt. Definitely not spent on maintaining their interstate highways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom