what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TMI..............:cool:
Really?

A thread about "what did you do today"... what we do before we reach FIRE, what we do when we're FIRE'd...or what we can do once we reach FIRE.

I'm just telling it like it is....;)

Edit: On second thought perhaps it's not wise to talk about eating spicy foods at 1:30 a.m. So...kids, don't try this at home.

Last edited:
Sprayed my back with Solarcaine.
Surfed.
Surfed.
Still surfing...

Guess what I'll be doing next?
:'(

Edit: On second thought perhaps it's not wise to talk about eating spicy foods at 1:30 a.m. So...kids, don't try this at home.

It was the lasagna and quesadilla part that was TMI..........spicy foods at 1:30 am are the death of me.......:)

yeah thats why I was curious about the hot or mild salsa. Mild would be ok. But some hot stuff would keep me up the rest of the night. :)

Well, this is not what I did today, but what I did last night.

I wanted some brownies so I put all the ingredients together...the mix, 1 egg, 1/3 c. oil, 1 1/4 c. water. Put it in the oven. Then, I realized it should have been just 1/4 c. water. :facepalm:

I let it bake anyway. The brownies turned out fine...really, really moist, but fine. :blink:

Yesterday I hosted a Father's Day picnic for fourteen . It's my annual present to my SO . Lots of guy food no fruit platters in sight . After the party I started reading Patterson's book " Sail " could not put it down . I love a good mystery .

I'm making homemade pretzels (rising right now).

Hey, I just made some the other day. They were good but didn't taste like pretzels. That is, they just tasted like breadsticks with some salt on them. I skipped the boiling in water/baking soda step.

How did yours turn out? Any secrets?

Hey, I just made some the other day. They were good but didn't taste like pretzels. That is, they just tasted like breadsticks with some salt on them. I skipped the boiling in water/baking soda step.

How did yours turn out? Any secrets?
I skipped the boiling water/ baking soda step also. :yuk:

I got the recipe at www.allrecipes.com. I hand wrote it instead of printing it, so all I had to do is check the ingredients list.
Here it is. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Soft-Pretzels-I/Detail.aspx

There are several other versions that use eggs. I skipped the egg ones for now. Eggs belong in challah bread or vasilopita, not pretzels.

I ad-libbed a little with the recipe by using 1/8 tsp white pepper, a traditional ingredient. I used real butter instead of margarine.
You have to roll them really thin before the rising stage. I got mine down to index finger size. Roll and pull at same time from 1 direction, roll and pull some more.
I sprayed my baking sheet with PAM and also the pretzels themselves with PAM to hold the salt on them before baking in 475F oven for 12 minutes. I also placed them in a plastic bag while they were still slightly warm, to soften the crunchy outside.

dh2b said something about trying sugar water next time, like they use at Auntie Anne's Pretzels in the mall. Maybe I'll try that once.

Took Frank out to dinner to celebrate. He found out at 3 PM that he wasn't going to be laid off Wednesday at 9 AM after all. Whew! Talk about an 11th hour reprieve - - they even had a farewell card signed by everybody for him. His layoff got pushed back to October.

This is great, because he would have been 54 days short of being eligible to officially retire, and now he will make it. That means access to group medical, a Big Deal for him since he has BP and other medical issues.

One less obstacle! We are ecstatic, as you might imagine.

I'm beginning my second week of FIRE. I got up early to walk with another retired teacher. We walked 3.5 miles in a park on the bay. While we were walking my cell rang. Got the good news that my mammogram was normal. WooHoo!!:dance:
Came home and walked my 2 dogs, surfed the web and ate lunch-whole wheat crackers with hummus. I returned my retirement gift, a watch, for a full refund. Now I can have some fun! Took a nap, read some more of 'Marley and Me', dinner, shower and here I am. Time is flying by and I'm lovin' every minute!:D

Took Frank out to dinner to celebrate. He found out at 3 PM that he wasn't going to be laid off Wednesday at 9 AM after all. Whew! Talk about an 11th hour reprieve - - they even had a farewell card signed by everybody for him. His layoff got pushed back to October.

This is great, because he would have been 54 days short of being eligible to officially retire, and now he will make it. That means access to group medical, a Big Deal for him since he has BP and other medical issues.

Wow. Talk about dodging a bullet. Congrats to Frank!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Maybe his employer appreciates him, and postponed the lay off date on purpose so that he can get the medical.

Sprayed my back with Solarcaine, but only twice today. :D
I can't go in the sun yet - ouch. :(
Watched my little biotech company stock appreciate.
Surfed. Laundry. Yawn. I really love this FIRE thing. :greetings10:

Had breakfast , went shopping then SO & I went bowling . We had not been bowling in several years so our scores were pitiful but it was fun . We then went to Anna Marie Island to have a drink overlooking the beach .All in all a fun day !

Anna Marie Island is one of my favorite places. It runs a close second to Siesta Key. DW and I are planning a week long trip this year, just to be close to the beach again. We miss it so much. We are planning a trip to Ft. Myers Beach first week in August. No particular reason, just miss the beach. DW has a brother down there and we have a son in Naples. It will be a vacation where we walk the beach, go out for a little breakfast, do some shopping, have a few cocktails later and go out to dinner. You can do it pretty cheap this time of year. Think we will rent a condo on the beach for a week for about $600. $100 cleaning fee. Think we can eat out for a week for about $500. Gas and misc shopping and we should get by for about $1500 for the week. Just looked at the CD's and thats about one months interest.

I can get to work in 6 minutes if I leave at 5:50 AM or so. But it can take me 45 minutes to get home if I leave at 5 PM, or longer if there is an accident. The distance that I commute is very small, but I have to go over a bridge that can get very congested with traffic during rush hour.

Alternate routes take longer.

Ahh, the dreaded NOLA bridges. Cannot get in or out without them.
Are you over the Huey Long or the High Rise over the shipping canal?

Anna Marie Island is one of my favorite places. It runs a close second to Siesta Key. DW and I are planning a week long trip this year, just to be close to the beach again. We miss it so much. We are planning a trip to Ft. Myers Beach first week in August. No particular reason, just miss the beach. DW has a brother down there and we have a son in Naples. It will be a vacation where we walk the beach, go out for a little breakfast, do some shopping, have a few cocktails later and go out to dinner. You can do it pretty cheap this time of year. Think we will rent a condo on the beach for a week for about $600. $100 cleaning fee. Think we can eat out for a week for about $500. Gas and misc shopping and we should get by for about $1500 for the week. Just looked at the CD's and thats about one months interest.

I've heard rental prices are really down this year so hopefully you will snag a bargain .

Today is Food Bank Day. This is by far the best volunteer gig I have found. It's only once a month. It is a tremendous w*rkout for 3 hours. All I have to do is show up and help sort out food with a very friendly bunch of folks. :D
No meetings, no politics, no paperw*rk.

I can get to work in 6 minutes if I leave at 5:50 AM or so.

One of the daydreams I had about retirement was to have a big wooden mallet on the nightstand on my last day of work. I had to get up at 4:30 AM (it takes me a long time to wake up that early) to be at work at 7:00 and I wanted to take that mallet and smash the alarm clock when it went off.

Anyway, yesterday I rode the bike about 200 miles, just wandering around, as in "I wonder where that road goes..." and then finding out.

Found out that a full set of mesh riding gear is not at all uncomfortable in 90 degree weather as long as you're moving. It does get a bit warm when stopped. And drink lots of water.

One of the daydreams I had about retirement was to have a big wooden mallet on the nightstand on my last day of work. I had to get up at 4:30 AM (it takes me a long time to wake up that early) to be at work at 7:00 and I wanted to take that mallet and smash the alarm clock when it went off.

I set my alarm for 5:30 and I hate that alarmclock with a passion!! Frank and I have been thinking about various alarmclock smashing schemes. I suppose we might sometimes want to wake up early to do something that we wanted to do. But I would love to take a hammer to mine and then throw it in a bucket of water. I have had the same cheap K-Mart alarm clock for 31 years (one of the few things I got in my divorce).

Anyway, yesterday I rode the bike about 200 miles, just wandering around, as in "I wonder where that road goes..." and then finding out.

Found out that a full set of mesh riding gear is not at all uncomfortable in 90 degree weather as long as you're moving. It does get a bit warm when stopped. And drink lots of water.
Sounds like a LOT more fun than working. I love exploring like that. 136 days to go.

Monday - fixed the fan motor in my daughters air conditioning, 2 hr job that took 8. Saved her $150.00
Tuesday - Rested from Monday's effort
Wednesday - Took my grandson fishing in the AM, no fish but he loved it. Started the lawn in PM.
Thursday - Finished the lawn in AM, wife and I took our granddaughter out on the PWC's in the PM.
Friday - Joined this forum and started reading posts in the AM, Going to granddaughters Horse Camp Show in the PM.
Been a rough week, looking forward to next Monday when it starts all over LOL.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom