what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, we went to Rentschler Field in East Hartford to watch the Navy/UConn football game. It was nice to talk with many fellow USNA alums at the tailgater, and it is always a good day when Navy wins.

I related previously that I was elected to the board of directors for the HOA at our mountain house. Ive been given responsibility for "computers and technology", which as far as I can tell means keeping things running for the two ladies who staff the office on a part-time basis. My first task was to supervise the installation of new phone and Internet service yesterday, a changeover that was contracted by my predecessor.

All went well except that the new ISP does not supply a router. There are a couple of office things that are connected wirelessly, so having no router is a bit of an issue. I had to run out last night to purchase a router then get to the office first thing this morning to set it up and get the office back in business. Mission accomplished.

Oh, I also bought another little sailboat. Our neighbor sold his house and needs to get it cleaned out in two weeks. He was selling the boat for $100...I couldn't resist. It's in better shape than the first sailboat I bought a month ago. So now I have two sailboats, no trailer to get either to the boat launch, and I don't know how to sail. Oops. My plan is to sell the first boat and use the proceeds towards a dolly or trailer that I can pull with a golf cart. Once I can get a boat in the water I'll worry about learning to sail.

In Canada we are having a federal election on October 19th. This weekend we have Culture Days. This afternoon I attended an all candidates forum focused on culture. I thought I had decided whom to vote for based on my preference for prime minister, but one of the other candidates was so passionate, articulate and well prepared that I have changed my mind. (I agree with most of her party's policies too).

The event was held at a retirement home just a few blocks away and there was an awesome art exhibit to explore afterwards.

This evening I'm off to a flamenco performance with friends.

This ER thing is great. Try it!

Last edited:
Yesterday was my birthday and I had a wonderful low-key day. Took Skittles to the farmers' market where I bought soft-shell crabs and lump crabmeat (a guy brings fresh seafood up from the Gulf every Saturday) as well as lots of yummy veggies. Took a pile of newspapers out to the hammock and let the dog run around for an hour or so - both kids called to wish me a happy day and it was nice talking with both of them about all kinds of stuff. Decided I wanted to make myself a birthday cake (carrot cake with cream cheese icing) for the first time since DS went to college, so went to the store to get the fixins. Baked the cake while watching Texas lose a heartbreaker to OK State. Then fixed crab imperial, soft shell crab, tomato pie, and green beans for dinner, washed it down with a delicious French champagne that I bought at the new Total Wine for ½ price (grand opening special). Followed by two pieces of cake and watching TV with a cuddly little dog on my lap. Would have been perfect if a dishwashing robot had been delivered to my front door, but pretty darn good day.

Today it's off to church and then to a retreat center to help clean up from a men's retreat (they did the same for our women's retreat last month). Going to put dinner in the crockpot now - white chicken chili.

Reactions: W2R
Headed home after another great week in Denver. I've been one of the judges at the Great American Beer Festival since 2002, and I keep coming back because I enjoy the camaraderie so much. This year the number of judges exploded to over 240 in order to judge the equally exploded number of beers entered in the competition (over 6,800).

But what really got me is the fact that there were twice as many breweries entering beers this year (over 1,500) as there were just two years ago.

You many have noticed that there seem to be many more microbreweries and brewpubs opening up lately. It's not just your imagination!

Headed home after another great week in Denver. I've been one of the judges at the Great American Beer Festival since 2002, and I keep coming back because I enjoy the camaraderie so much. This year the number of judges exploded to over 240 in order to judge the equally exploded number of beers entered in the competition (over 6,800).

But what really got me is the fact that there were twice as many breweries entering beers this year (over 1,500) as there were just two years ago.

You many have noticed that there seem to be many more microbreweries and brewpubs opening up lately. It's not just your imagination!

Sounds like my idea of a great time! The microbrewery explosion is one of the reasons I quit brewing my own beer. No need to brew my own - It's so easy to get high quality beers commercially.

Truck accessories

Accessories for small people added to truck.

12074523_10154767920932925_5081444313407914843_n.jpg

12033040_10154767920997925_4666590259064774592_n.jpg

Harvest is in full swing so I went for a drive around the countryside. Most grains are done but beans, sugar beets, potatos, and corn are being harvested now. It's fun to see some of the richest farm land on earth. When I was a child I assumed all dirt was black.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 22
I was over at Lowes this afternoon picking up a few things and saw this. It's still September. :nonono:

Attachments

• Lowes.jpg
    Lowes.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 164
I was over at Lowes this afternoon picking up a few things and saw this. It's still September. :nonono:

It (Christmas displays in stores) seems to creep up a few days or weeks every year.

Got our flu shots. I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment and DW tagged along for the shot.

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter. All the staff from the doc on down were struggling with learning the new software they have to use.

As I posted here previously, the Halloween decorations started going up where I live back in early August.

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter.

I don't know your health care arrangement, but it is generally a bad thing for payors when this happens. First, the rates charged will now be the ones negotiated by the hospital, which are generally higher than those that can be negotiated by an independent small physician practice. Second, this means that there may now be a "facility fee" charged, which is sort of a general allocation of hospital overhead that gets charged to everyone who goes to a hospital "facility", which need not be anywhere near the actual hospital. All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.

Took the pontoon out of the lake. Earliest ever due to a wedding this weekend. Last night was down into the 40's and seeming like Halloween. Summers keep getting shorter

All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.

I suspected as much simply because of diminished competition. The same entity owns all but one of the hospitals in the tri-county area and now they're buying the physician's practices. Not good.

We are fortunate to have very good insurance coverage (secondary to Medicare for me) so hopefully the effect on us will be slight if noticeable at all.

As I posted here previously, the Halloween decorations started going up where I live back in early August.
Amazing. Who really is getting ready for Christmas?

I get the feeling this is similar to what we called busy work. No one expected it to produce anything useful, but a manager somewhere could say with confidence that a retail strategy was underway.

I don't know your health care arrangement, but it is generally a bad thing for payors when this happens. First, the rates charged will now be the ones negotiated by the hospital, which are generally higher than those that can be negotiated by an independent small physician practice. Second, this means that there may now be a "facility fee" charged, which is sort of a general allocation of hospital overhead that gets charged to everyone who goes to a hospital "facility", which need not be anywhere near the actual hospital. All in all, the same service from the same person in the same office will likely now cost substantially more.
My insurance doesn't include facility fees, and it doesn't count toward deductible of out of pocket, and I think the same applies to Medicare. Health care..

Took the pontoon out of the lake. Earliest ever due to a wedding this weekend. Last night was down into the 40's and seeming like Halloween. Summers keep getting shorter

Mine is still in. I'm hoping to have another trip ro two in the next few weeks and then will take it out.

My insurance doesn't include facility fees, and it doesn't count toward deductible of out of pocket.
You might not pay more, but your insurance company probably will, and that eventually gets reflected in premiums.

Khan, You do look so happy in that picture. It looks like marriage and living in FL agree with you.

Got our flu shots. I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment and DW tagged along for the shot.

It seems the doctor's practice is now owned by the local hospital. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I suspect the latter. All the staff from the doc on down were struggling with learning the new software they have to use.

I had a regularly scheduled doctor appointment today also. They did not mention flu shots and I did not think to ask about them. I usually get mine toward the end of October.

My doctor's office is now owned by the local hospital also. It will be interesting to see what is charged and paid by insurance, when I get my explanation of benefits from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom