what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my kind of day, only I would be one of the one's riding in a cart. :)

Yesterday I closed on my patio home purchase. A bitter sweet moment as I didn't enjoy parting with the funds, but really like the home. Although the houses are on postage stamp size lots, being on the golf course makes it seem as though you have a huge backyard. I'm really going to enjoy sitting on my covered back porch watching the sunset. Here's my backyard...........

What a great view! Looks like you're 50 yds +/- off the fairway...I could hit your house easily from the course. :ROFLMAO::hide:

Froze 3 quarts of chicken stock I simmered most of yesterday. Now I understand a comment about its worth making your own.

Had my one week post cataract surgery check up. I see 20/20! My left eye isn't even done yet and I can see. Doc suggested going to mono vision with left eye, I'm game to never wear glasses again. I've worn glasses since the first grade, the notion of not needing them is totally foreign to me.

Froze 3 quarts of chicken stock I simmered most of yesterday. Now I understand a comment about its worth making your own.

Had my one week post cataract surgery check up. I see 20/20! My left eye isn't even done yet and I can see. Doc suggested going to mono vision with left eye, I'm game to never wear glasses again. I've worn glasses since the first grade, the notion of not needing them is totally foreign to me.

That is GREAT!!! Your vision is even better than mine, which was 20/25 at my two week checkup. I'm not going again for a few more weeks. I noticed that I am seeing double (slightly) when I read, from both eyes. However I am hoping that this is still settling down, and even if it doesn't, I can live with it because I still see better than I did before the surgery.

I love it when I am standing there ready to go to bed, and I reach up to take my glasses off, and find..... NOTHING there! :D And in the morning, when I awaken and don't have to fumble for my glasses, too.

I didn't go for the monovision, because I have used readers with contacts before and that worked out really nicely for me.

Last edited:
That is GREAT!!! Your vision is even better than mine, which was 20/25 at my two week checkup. I'm not going again for a few more weeks. I noticed that I am seeing double (slightly) when I read, from both eyes. However I am hoping that this is still settling down, and even if it doesn't, I can live with it because I still see better than I did before the surgery.

I love it when I am standing there ready to go to bed, and I reach up to take my glasses off, and find..... NOTHING there! :D And in the morning, when I awaken and don't have to fumble for my glasses, too.

The double vision may clear.

I have the same enjoyable experience with not finding the glasses. I never took mine off except for bed and in the shower. Now when I'm getting out of the shower I'm always looking for my glasses. I had really bad uncorrected vision(20/750 they estimated) so it's absolutely a different world.

Visiting friends in Knoxville, TN. Greetings!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 21
The roofers finished up the roof this morning. Just in time too. It started snowing just as we were finishing up the bracing for the chimney. By the time they finished cleaning up their stuff and I got my stuff cleaned up it was snowing pretty good. I got down to the motor home, took off my boots, sat down at the computer and had no internet! Back into the boots and coat and out to sweep snow off the dish. I will probably be doing that for the rest of the day. Predictions of 18 inches here.

MRG, That's great about your eye sight.

W2R, Ack, what's with the double vision? Did doc mention this before surgery and does it go away?

Hermit, Even though I know what state you live in, I am always amazed when you talk about snow. Glad to hear your roof is done. How's it going with the windows and doors?

MRG, That's great about your eye sight.

W2R, Ack, what's with the double vision? Did doc mention this before surgery and does it go away?

Hermit, Even though I know what state you live in, I am always amazed when you talk about snow. Glad to hear your roof is done. How's it going with the windows and doors?

The Tyvec is up. We were going to install windows tomorrow. I cancelled that. Hopefully, by the end of the week. If not, after Thanksgiving. I'm headed to Virginia for Thanksgiving week to visit my son and his girl friend.

Then again, I may have to put the windows off for a while... Should be a lot of great snow up at the ski slopes! :LOL:

The roofers finished up the roof this morning.

That has to be such a great feeling to have the roof done. Congratulations.
I did my first snow check this morning for Colorado, as I'm feeling the itch to get back on skis.

I checked the internet (which of course, is the Source of All Medical Knowledge, just kidding! :LOL:). It says that double vision very rarely happens after cataract surgery but does once in a while. I will see my surgeon next week and ask him about it. Maybe I need something better than drugstore readers. I am still wildly enthusiastic about my vision, because even with the double vision I can see better than before. I'm just getting whiny and demanding. :2funny: If my surgeon wants to correct it through more surgery, I will thank him and firmly tell him no. It might just be temporary; I didn't really notice it until a few days ago.

This past weekend, our furnace stopped putting out any heat. We have a small space heater (very efficient, but only for a single room), but the outdoor temps fell to the low thirties. So called first thing this am, and they showed at 3:30! I had a follow up dr appt, so I got the word from DW that the part would be ordered tomorrow. . . No heat for at least 2 nights! The dr apt went worse, I have severe carpal tunnel in both hands, so surgery right after thanksgiving! First the left hand, then two weeks later the right one. What a way to spend the holidays!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I drove to Hana, and continued on to return via Piilani Highway. Hana Highway is now well paved and smooth as silk despite its narrow and winding path, a vast improvement over what I encountered almost 30 years ago. Back then, souvenir shops sold T-shirts that said "Hana or bust" because the road was really that bad. But past Kipahulu, the road was as bad as in old times. Arghh!

We stopped along the way to do some trails including the Pipiwai. It was a long day.

I drove to Hana, and continued on to return via Piilani Highway. Hana Highway is now well paved and smooth as silk despite its narrow and winding path, a vast improvement over what I encountered almost 30 years ago. Back then, souvenir shops sold T-shirts that said "Hana or bust" because the road was really that bad. But past Kipahulu, the road was as bad as in old times. Arghh!

We stopped along the way to do some trails including the Pipiwai. It was a long day.

psssssst, where are the pics?

The dr apt went worse, I have severe carpal tunnel in both hands, so surgery right after thanksgiving! First the left hand, then two weeks later the right one. What a way to spend the holidays!

Carpal tunnel surgery is pretty easy so you still will get to enjoy the holidays & hopefully by then your house will have heat .

I drove to Hana, and continued on to return via Piilani Highway. Hana Highway is now well paved and smooth as silk despite its narrow and winding path, a vast improvement over what I encountered almost 30 years ago.

I remember the first time my family went to Hawaii back in the 70s, and I well remember the road to Hana. That was the first time I ever felt queasy riding in a car.

I remember the first time my family went to Hawaii back in the 70s, and I well remember the road to Hana. That was the first time I ever felt queasy riding in a car.

I was there in 2013 and took a day tour. Rental car companies don't want their cars driven over the rough road at the southwest of the island. The "good" part of the road was no worse than a Kerry boreen. I wouldn't mind driving the whole route if I had my own vehicle, but I wouldn't want to go alone and break down where there is no cell phone service.

Just got the heat back!😃 Now the surgery is set for Dec. 3, with the other hand set for two weeks later.

what did you do today?

Morning: Weight Watchers, of course.
Noon: Lunch with F (small Caesar salad and water).
Afternoon: dentist to get my teeth cleaned
Tonight: waiting for severe weather that is supposed to get here at 10 PM, watching The Voice in the meantime, and reading your posts on the board. :)

In other words, another wonderful day of retirement... :D

After a night of sever wind and about 14 inches of snow with major drifts, I found that my house is not as weather tight as I hoped. The windows are all covered with house wrap, but the wind blew the snow in up under the eves so I had a nice layer of snow on everything this morning. Spent the day sweeping snow out of the house and plowing snow. Plowed one guy out of his lot. Pulled the kid's camp director out of a snow bank. Plowed into the darkness and finished the day by getting my plow truck very stuck a few feet from where I park it. :LOL:

Here's hoping tomorrow is not like today. I volunteered to follow Not-Quite Mrs. redduck to the auto repair place as she had backed into a Mercedes a few days ago. (It seems a woman was making a U-turn in front of our driveway as N-Q Mrs. r was backing out of the garage). Anyhow, as N-Q Mrs. r was ready to leave the collision place in her rented shiny black Camaro (she wanted a Jetta), I got ready to leave as well. I was parked in the repair place's lot and immediately backed into a parked BMW.

After that accident was reported to the insurance companies I went to Home Depot to return a trowel and cement-in-a can. The clerk asked me if I was returning the items because I didn't need them. I told her that I was returning them because I was over-matched by the items and had no idea how to use them. This caused the customers around me to kind of shuffle away. (They must have been in awe--especially when I explained that the trowel didn't come with directions). While I'm still talking to the clerk, N-Q Mrs. r calls me to say she's locked out of the house. The clerk hears the conversation and immediately gives me a refund.

Last edited:
Here's hoping tomorrow is not like today. I volunteered to follow Not-Quite Mrs. redduck to the auto repair place as she had backed into a Mercedes a few days ago. (It seems a woman was making a U-turn in front of our driveway as N-Q Mrs. r was backing out of the garage). Anyhow, as N-Q Mrs. r was ready to leave the collision place in her rented shiny black Camaro (she wanted a Jetta), I got ready to leave as well. I was parked in the repair place's lot and immediately backed into a parked BMW.

After that accident was reported to the insurance companies I went to Home Depot to return a trowel and cement-in-a can. The clerk asked me if I was returning the items because I didn't need them. I told her that I was returning them because I was over-matched by the items and had no idea how to use them. This caused the customers around me to kind of shuffle away. (They must have been in awe--especially when I explained that the trowel didn't come with directions). While I'm still talking to the clerk, N-Q Mrs. r calls me to say she's locked out of the house. The clerk hears the conversation and immediately gives me a refund.

Some days, you just wish you had stayed in bed!

Wednesday - five hour hike with a colleague who retired at about the same time I did. Crossing a busy road jammed with rush hour commuters heading into work (and occasionally spotting people I know) never gets old.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom