what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday after going to the gym we stopped off at the grocery and picked up what we didn't already have for a big pot of beef stew. The weather is getting colder and this is a favorite cold-weather food.

Cooked overnight in an 8-quart crock pot the aroma fills the house. Woke up starving and had some for breakfast. And lunch. Probably for dinner too....

Getting my Christmas workshop projects done. 9 cheese boards and 2 cutting boards. Mostly from left over pieces of maple, cherry, walnut, and african mahogany.

22897245424_3a523448d2_b.jpg

23499441966_3b887de638_b.jpg

These are exquisite, RS--I don't think I could bear to use them! Such works of art.

Saw this vehicle sitting in town today. I don't know who it belongs to but apparently he is not trusting the much warmer and drier than normal El Nino winter forecast. It was 48 degrees today which is a beautiful day for the 5th of December. It could just as easily be 5 or 10 degrees below zero. The last strong El Nino year we had almost no snow and warm temps all winter.

Attachments

• Trax2.jpg
    Trax2.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Dave, Feever & Meadbh.

I'm giving these to relatives and a couple of DW's friends - all are really into cooking so these things will take a beating. But the finish is only mineral oil. So a light sanding will take off any cut marks and then just apply some mineral oil.

Beautiful work, Ronstar!

DH and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful afternoon and check out the (relatively) new "boardwalk" (actually concrete and steel) on the southeast side of Lady Bird Lake. Very nice walk, and made several small children very happy when we let them pet Skittles (he loves kids and is very soft to pet).

IMG_5300.jpg

Made oyster chowder for dinner - the farmers' market here has a vendor who brings fresh seafood up from the coast, so I picked up some oysters this morning along with the usual eggs, pickles (Your Pickle Matters - Home), and veggies (today was carrots, broccoli, and peppers - still have cauliflower left from last week). Yum.

Thanks Moemg and MBAustin

Nice photo , MB!

Today is not a good day. The check engine light came on in my truck. And my orbital sander must have fallen from my workbench, switched on, and played roomba on the floor. Don't know how long it was on.

With paper? Or just the hook and loop pad? Hopefully it's a concrete floor.

Moved into my new patio home Friday. I found 2 guys that run a service similar to Two Men and a Truck. A local twosome, but they do move people all over the country. Those guys came in tore everything down and reassemble at the new location for $50/hr including furnishing the truck. Took 4 hours for a total of $200. Best money I ever spent. I had moved a lot of small stuff over in my SUV, but they got the rest. Still some unpacking to do but the worst is over. Got to get the old house cleaned next week. Actually have a pretty serious inquirer(neighbor) so hope that materializes into a sell.

Moved into my new patio home Friday. I found 2 guys that run a service similar to Two Men and a Truck. A local twosome, but they do move people all over the country. Those guys came in tore everything down and reassemble at the new location for $50/hr including furnishing the truck. Took 4 hours for a total of $200. Best money I ever spent. I had moved a lot of small stuff over in my SUV, but they got the rest. Still some unpacking to do but the worst is over. Got to get the old house cleaned next week. Actually have a pretty serious inquirer(neighbor) so hope that materializes into a sell.

Woo-hoo! Congratulations on moving into your new patio home on the golf course. You are going to love it there. :D And, good deal on the movers and wow, they sure were speedy too. You might want to consider some professional housecleaners to clean the old house, so that you don't have to do it yourself. Or at least see how much they cost. Sometimes they can be pretty cheap to clean an empty house like that.

Woo-hoo! Congratulations on moving into your new patio home on the golf course. You are going to love it there. :D And, good deal on the movers and wow, they sure were speedy too. You might want to consider some professional housecleaners to clean the old house, so that you don't have to do it yourself. Or at least see how much they cost. Sometimes they can be pretty cheap to clean an empty house like that.

Might do it. The neighbor that is interested came over yesterday when I was just getting started vacuuming. She saw it in the worst condition possible, but she was still interested. Her husband is out of town and will be home in a few days. I'm going to do a little to it myself before he gets here. If he likes it, its going to be an as is deal. If they decide against it, may very well get a cleaning crew in. Already have a painter in waiting and then plan to turn over to a realtor.

Might do it. The neighbor that is interested came over yesterday when I was just getting started vacuuming. She saw it in the worst condition possible, but she was still interested. Her husband is out of town and will be home in a few days. I'm going to do a little to it myself before he gets here. If he likes it, its going to be an as is deal. If they decide against it, may very well get a cleaning crew in. Already have a painter in waiting and then plan to turn over to a realtor.

Sounds like a great plan, and I'm hoping they like the house as is. I am a great believer in getting the house professionally cleaned (if it isn't already sold), because my house sold 4 days after the cleaners got done with it and that was all I did to prepare it for sale. Maybe it would have sold fast anyway but I doubt it.

Congrats on the new house, Dawg... and the easy move.

I've had a busy morning, and a busy afternoon planned. Woke up and made a double batch of brownies before I even had coffee... while that was in the oven I had my coffee... then started on making 2 pecan pies. Then got dressed (all the above was done in my jammies) and headed to the grocery store to pick up some cupcakes and salad fixin's.

In an hour we're heading out for the boys piano recital. It's being held at a very nice auditorium with a grand piano - at the same independent/assisted living facility my step mom lives in. After listening to 25 students, we'll have a nice potluck/desert thing. Since today is my older son's birthday, and my younger son's birthday is Wed, I'm providing the cupcakes in addition to the brownies I always bring. (Piano teacher reported that other families were asking if I'd have the brownies - they are very popular each year.)

After the recital we're bringing my step mom back with us because we're having the family birthday party tonight. DH has a pre-assembled the lasagna. We'll have the pecan pies as the birthday cake - they both requested that after the Thanksgiving pies. My sis and BIL are coming over as well.

Who would have guessed a Sunday would be my busiest day.

Got up at 4 AM for cataract surgery at 7. Everyone was there this time. Same nurse was there for the third IV. This surgery was longer the implant insertion took a bit longer to do than last time. Still only slightly unpleasant, nothing compared to the benefit It's a little challenging reading right now perhaps by morning things will be better.

Got up at 4 AM for cataract surgery at 7. Everyone was there this time. Same nurse was there for the third IV. This surgery was longer the implant insertion took a bit longer to do than last time. Still only slightly unpleasant, nothing compared to the benefit It's a little challenging reading right now perhaps by morning things will be better.

Wonderful! I know it must be great to have this behind you. Best of wishes for much improved vision, once your eye un-dilates and adjusts.

Glad you are done! My second eye was not as much a breeze as the first--different anesthesiologist decided to use minimal sedation for no reason and it was quite uncomfortable, besides my being able to see more of what was going on with the first no-longer-nearsighted eye meant I was a lot more aware of the equipment and the procedure. But all turned out splendidly, and I hope in the next couple of days you are as happy with the second eye's results as you are with the first.

Glad you are done! My second eye was not as much a breeze as the first--different anesthesiologist decided to use minimal sedation for no reason and it was quite uncomfortable, besides my being able to see more of what was going on with the first no-longer-nearsighted eye meant I was a lot more aware of the equipment and the procedure. But all turned out splendidly, and I hope in the next couple of days you are as happy with the second eye's results as you are with the first.

Do you HAVE to be awake for cataract surgery? 😖

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

After enduring a root canal under similar sedation, I will NEVER let another doctor/dentist/whatever do that to me... :bat:

Never had this done, but I feel confident, having heard DH's tales, I'll have to knocked out for something like this. As of this writing I haven't found a dentist in our new area so I'd have to go back to my old dentist for such a procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

After enduring a root canal under similar sedation, I will NEVER let another doctor/dentist/whatever do that to me... :bat:

I'm extremely resistant to Novocaine, and I ALWAYS make sure they allow extra time and extra doses to give me time to get numb. After having them cut into my toe once (ingrown toenail) while still fully feeling it, I make sure to get fully numb. As far as sedation, I want the full dose. DW once asked me "what if you die in your sleep?" I answered "That's my goal. Hopefully it won't be this time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom