what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it will be delicious, but I think I would have an alternate maindish on the table too. Just in cases. Not everyone is as big a fan as Miracle Max.

Good idea! My daughter is vegan so I also will have an Indian garbanzo bean curry thing. Maybe I should make a double batch!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I declared my plow truck broken and took it in to the shop yesterday. When I am pushing a pile of snow uphill something in the front drive train catches and then pops loose with a loud "bang". I'm hoping it is a U-joint. After I get moved into my house, I will be able to look at this kind of thing myself, but I refuse to crawl under a truck outside in the dirt in the middle of the winter. Been there. Done that. I don't need to do that anymore. :)

There were a lot of requests for plowing last week. Quite a few people want to come up around Christmas and New Year and enjoy the Holidays up here. I'm hoping we don't get too much snow before I get the truck back, but the weather doesn't look promising.

Just returned from a grocery store run. We are under a winter storm watch for up to 9 inches of snow. I may be inside for a couple of days. Looked like everyone had the same idea; the store was full of people.

Workout, breakfest, figure skating then coffee. On the way back home, top down Air condition On, temp 67F in SW PA. Just kidding about the top down bit, my car is a hardtop, but the windows were open.

Next few days are scheduled to be warm and rainy.

Good idea! My daughter is vegan so I also will have an Indian garbanzo bean curry thing. Maybe I should make a double batch!
Yum. Chana curry and mutton - a most excellent combination, which tastes even better the next day.

Locksets

I just replaces the 2 locksets on the front and side doors along with the deadbolts. The originals were 7 years old and cheap crap. The side door ones went on without a problem, using the existing holes. The front ones were about an eighth of an inch too high, so I had to widen the holes.
Than I went to the market to pick up 3 ducks we are cooking for Xmas dinner.
I am now going to take a nap!

We have a two car garage with individual doors. I noticed when we moved in several months ago that the vinyl seals on the bottom of the garage doors were not only old, stiff, and worn out, but also too short. They were at least a few inches short of reaching the edge of the doors on both sides, so there were gaps where insects or even a mouse might be able to get inside.

Bought new seals at Home Depot and replaced them. About 15 minutes each and not a big deal (I checked technique out on YouTube beforehand).

Then grilled a couple of nice pork tenderloins that had been marinating for the last couple of days. Outstanding!

Rained all day and forecast to be in the 60s on Thursday and mid 40s on Christmas Day. Looks like we'll be having the first green Christmas in 9 years. :(

To add insult, I'm sure that the dirt road for the last mile to our house will get soft and muddy just in time for our guests for Christmas dinner. Luckily, 4 of the 5 vehicles coming for Christmas dinner are AWD.

Had a molar extracted by my oral surgeon, which both gave him quite a physical workout, and began the preparations for my next dental implant. He also did a bone graft.

Tonight I am on Vicodin and flying higher than Rudolph, a very rare occurrence in recent years.

Last edited:
Rained all day and forecast to be in the 60s on Thursday and mid 40s on Christmas Day. Looks like we'll be having the first green Christmas in 9 years. :(

To add insult, I'm sure that the dirt road for the last mile to our house will get soft and muddy just in time for our guests for Christmas dinner. Luckily, 4 of the 5 vehicles coming for Christmas dinner are AWD.

Looks like a few inches of snow for Christmas here.

what did you do today?

We have a two car garage with individual doors. I noticed when we moved in several months ago that the vinyl seals on the bottom of the garage doors were not only old, stiff, and worn out, but also too short. They were at least a few inches short of reaching the edge of the doors on both sides, so there were gaps where insects or even a mouse might be able to get inside.

Bought new seals at Home Depot and replaced them. About 15 minutes each and not a big deal (I checked technique out on YouTube beforehand).

Then grilled a couple of nice pork tenderloins that had been marinating for the last couple of days. Outstanding!

I gotta get a new garage door seal asap. Mine is scrunched so that there's a gap under part of the door. I caught a mouse in the garage a few days ago that easily could have crawled in under the door seal.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

W2R - hope the pain from your tooth procedure is better today (I don't enjoy Vicodin or anything like it so it doesn't sound like fun to me).

I have a few gifts left to wrap and then will bring the RV over to load for our quick trip to see DH's family in Houston tomorrow. We're having our immediate family "nice" Christmas dinner tonight - crab cakes FedEx'd in from MD (gift from my sister) and apple strudel for dessert (if I get it made this afternoon). I had proposed that we also open gifts tonight, but DD objected, so we'll do that on Saturday when we get home. In return, she agreed to fix supper (butternut squash soup) because I am tired and cranky after driving back.

Looking forward to introducing Skittles to the extended family - unfortunately, it will be a little warm for his Christmas sweater - high of 82 forecast for Thursday and Friday. No white Christmas for us!

Thanks, MBAustin. :) Little to no pain this morning so far, so no more Vicodin. Hopefully I am done with them but I am not throwing them out quite yet, just in case.

Normally I don't take even take OTC pain killers, but yesterday taking the prescribed Vicodin was more or less necessary. It worked really well.

Had a molar extracted by my oral surgeon, which both gave him quite a physical workout, and began the preparations for my next dental implant. He also did a bone graft.

Tonight I am on Vicodin and flying higher than Rudolph, a very rare occurrence in recent years.

Ow. Hope you are feeling a little better. I had a cleaning earlier this month and my longtime dentist referred me to a periodontist for a root canal because he no longer feels comfortable doing it (he has done several for me over the years). I think he will be retiring soon so I have a new dentist lined up for early 2016 and I think she will find a lot of things to work on, so send any leftover Vicodin up this way as I may need it!

Ow. Hope you are feeling a little better. I had a cleaning earlier this month and my longtime dentist referred me to a periodontist for a root canal because he no longer feels comfortable doing it (he has done several for me over the years). I think he will be retiring soon so I have a new dentist lined up for early 2016 and I think she will find a lot of things to work on, so send any leftover Vicodin up this way as I may need it!

Thank you!

Sorry to hear that you are in for more dental work. I hope your new dentist is younger so she won't (also) retire on you soon!

I don't normally take Vicodin but it seemed like a reasonable person would under the circumstances. It seems to work very well for pain, along with providing some entertainment and distraction from pain due to being high.

I am not experiencing any pain this morning, so I didn't take any more Vicodin. Smooth foods are easier then other foods right now. I haven't tried "real food" yet but the surgeon's instructions say that I can, at my own pace, today. This morning I didn't feel adventuresome so I had some lukewarm cream of wheat for breakfast.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you are in for more dental work. I hope your new dentist is younger so she won't (also) retire on you soon!

She is thirty years younger than I am so unless she reads these forums and has the RE bug I should be good for a while! Glad you are feeling a little better.

Made a grocery store and liquor store run.
Normal 3 mile morning walk.
Laundry on line.
80F, way above average.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Xmas duck

DW and I set up an assembly line to prepare 4 ducks for roasting tomorrow.
I cleaned the ducks, saved the livers, and then DW, using one of my Xacto knives scored the skin. Each one was then put into a roasting pan on a rack.They go in the fridge overnight, and into the oven at 8:30 tomorrow morning.
The cooking is a 4 hour process, turning the duck every hour. We then take them to son's house where we will glaze them and finish the process.

I took a long walk to take advantage of our unseasonably warm and balmy weather. This afternoon I baked peanut butter blossom cookies to take to a friend's house for dessert tomorrow. I'll also take a nut roll that my cousin gave me yesterday. She bakes them with a group of ladies at her church to sell for Christmas.

He: A trip to the store for more cranberries and lemons. Four loaves of cranberry bread. A little nap. A little woodworking.

She: Two loaves of artisan bread with Italian herbs. Organizing papers. A little photo organizing.

Other miscellaneous puttering.

Yesterday I uploaded a hundred previously scanned old photos at GrooveBook - Your Photos Revolutionized. They'll be printed and shipped for $2.99 plus tax as part of a monthly subscription program. If they turn out nicely, I'll post it to the superior products thread.

He: A trip to the store for more cranberries and lemons. Four loaves of cranberry bread. A little nap. A little woodworking.

She: Two loaves of artisan bread with Italian herbs. Organizing papers. A little photo organizing.

Other miscellaneous puttering.

Yesterday I uploaded a hundred previously scanned old photos at GrooveBook - Your Photos Revolutionized. They'll be printed and shipped for $2.99 plus tax as part of a monthly subscription program. If they turn out nicely, I'll post it to the superior products thread.

Thanks for the tip on Groovebook!;)

Thanks for the tip on Groovebook!;)

You're welcome. Saw it awhile back on Shark Tank. A follow-up segment showed they were later acquired by Shutterfly, I think. Anyway, you can probably look up their story on YouTube. It didn't hurt that the couple was already in the digital printing business. But the breakthrough was the design of the semi-circle cut-out in the spine of the photo book that made it "bendable" in the eyes of the post office - dramatically slashing the postage to ship.

I love hearing stories of entrepreneurs and inventors.

One tip - if you want to work on your book or adjust the photos in it before "closing" it and sending it to print, upload no more than 99 pictures to begin with. The minute you hit 100 total pictures, the app sends the book into production, even if you are not yet to that month's deadline.

Let us know if you use it.

Yesterday - prepped and cooked 7 different fish dishes (actually - I did 3, DH did 3, and we had shrimp as the 7th.) It's a southern Italian tradition that is more popular in the US than in Italy to have 7 fish dishes on Christmas eve. We had friends and extended family over - 8 for the main meal - joined by the after-church crowd for desert. Picture below of 4 of the fishes (cous cous con pesce, clams in a wine broth, pink snapper with fennel, and baked scallops). The other 3 fishes were consumed as appetizers (Bagna Cauda - discovered by me on this forum, salmon pizza, and a shrimp platter.)

Today we opened presents and I baked 2 pecan pies to take to my sister's house for dinner (she has 14 people total - so 1 pie was not enough.)

Attachments

• IMG_20151224_185128.jpg
    IMG_20151224_185128.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 28
Upgraded 2 PCs from Linux Mint 17.1 to 17.3. Fifteen minutes for the full upgrade, did not need to reboot. Linux just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom