what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
putting in an actual lawn.

Say goodbye to your free time!

Had a good surf trip, followed by a long walk on the beach with DW.

img_855705_0_a7101a95771cf9937882deedbdefcd93.jpg

img_855705_1_9af7a9a3605effa562ebd15cf633a389.jpg

img_855705_2_388c9c64bbce08ea2a4ccfda7a2169d6.jpg

I was home last week with the flu ( The swine flu ? Maybe ) . I stayed home rather than infect more people and as I got bored I shopped . I ordered canopies for my deck $1500 . I online shopped for new family room furniture $ 3000. So as flu's go this swine flu is very expensive ! Symptoms ,cough , congestion ,body aches ,diarrhea and wanton use of credit cards . Take the flu shot and save some money !

So as flu's go this swine flu is very expensive ! Symptoms ,cough , congestion ,body aches ,diarrhea and wanton use of credit cards . Take the flu shot and save some money !

Uh oh. That does it. We're all getting flu shots.

And I may want to buy stock in QVC's parent company...

He crawled into the wall to recruit his friends and family. You've got the Viperizon network.

Here sssnakey ssnakey sssnakey. I'm all tooled up and loaded for viper now. Probably (hopefully) be like carrying an umbrella preventing rain. Call me Ishmael.

I had a nice chinese buffet lunch today - our little group has swelled to 20+ people. Only 2 of us are retired/FIREd.
I had a very cool idea thrown at me also - I am loosely planning a January vacation to FL and was telling one of my "adopted bro" guy friends about it. I have friends/relatives in Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne areas, all of whom still w*rk. I want to try to see all of them, but also want some quiet time to myself near the ocean or Gulf. I do not want to house-hop overnight. :nonono:
I was looking at maybe getting a centrally located hotel to use as a base.
It turns out his brother's best best buddy, from way back when, has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round. So he calls this guy, tells him who I am and asks him if I could stay on the boat M-F instead of a hotel while I'm down there. Friend told the guy I had no interest in driving it, too big a craft. The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.
Wooohoooooooooo! Waterfront lodging in a marina, free!!!!!!!

I had a nice chinese buffet lunch today - our little group has swelled to 20+ people. Only 2 of us are retired/FIREd.
I had a very cool idea thrown at me also - I am loosely planning a January vacation to FL and was telling one of my "adopted bro" guy friends about it. I have friends/relatives in Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne areas, all of whom still w*rk. I want to try to see all of them, but also want some quiet time to myself near the ocean or Gulf. I do not want to house-hop overnight. :nonono:
I was looking at maybe getting a centrally located hotel to use as a base.
It turns out his brother's best best buddy, from way back when, has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round. So he calls this guy, tells him who I am and asks him if I could stay on the boat M-F instead of a hotel while I'm down there. Friend told the guy I had no interest in driving it, too big a craft. The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!:cool:

The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.

I am so envious. You are the luckiest person in the whole wide world... did I hear "Lotto." (I wouldn't.)

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!:cool:

I am so envious. You are the luckiest person in the whole wide world... did I hear "Lotto." (I wouldn't.)
Sometimes life can be good to me. :D
I am very well versed in living on a boat for short periods. I don't watch TV, I know how to stay clean with a small head, eat well without cooking, etc. And I love the water.
Being rocked to sleep by the waves and the sound of them hitting the side of the boat...BTDT on a 34' sailboat on Lake Ontario. It's a private marina, so I'll be perfectly safe.
This friend of my adopted bro is very generous to say yes to the idea. I'll make sure I do some boat type w*rk (polish chrome or clean windows) for him if I get bored. He and his wife rarely take it out during the winter and never during the weekdays, so I won't be displacing their use of it at all.

has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round.

That sounds like fun. BTW, I know that guy, and he sent me a photo of the boat:

5792510.jpg

Or maybe it will look like this:

Attachments

• JRio Napa Express Plane.jpg
    JRio Napa Express Plane.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1
Today we filled an eight-quart crock pot with chili fixin's. I finally bought a CO2 tire repair kit and a decent set of tools to carry on the bike (Cruztools). Of course, on my one day off this week it's raining. Murphy's Law never fails.

Volunteered to work yesterday so the guy who normally has that slot could look after his mother, who is hospitalized with a heart attack. Kind of hard to say "no" to that request. Promised to take DW to fancy dinner with the overtime.

Took everything out of the drawers, cabinets, and closet at my office, and sorted through it all.
  • The office supplies and technical reports that belong to the government are all neatly stacked on a countertop.
  • Broken, useless, and worthless stuff got tossed out.
  • Useless confidential stuff was an exception and got shredded.
  • The items promised to various individuals are in another stack.
  • My few remaining personal belongings are on another countertop.
Today I am taking home all of my personal belongings. After Monday, I am only scheduled to work another 11.5 days since I will be using much vacation time. Most of those days will be busy with cleaning out my computer, exit clearance, farewell party, answering last minute questions, saying my goodbyes, and such. I will probably have some work too, but probably mostly pro forma and nothing more than a few reviews or some such thing.

This is becoming more and more fun!

...Broken, useless, and worthless stuff got tossed out.
...After Monday, I am only scheduled to work another 11.5 days since I will be using much vacation time.

...This is becoming more and more fun!
Now that's no way to talk about your co-w*rkers! :ROFLMAO:

So you are physically right on the brink of being retired as far as office presence, it's just a formality of burning leave days from here. Sweeeeeeet ! :flowers:

Or maybe it will look like this:

That sounds like fun. BTW, I know that guy, and he sent me a photo of the boat:
Gentlemen...I just got a link from the boat owner, showing me what this beauty looks like. I am being gracious and therefore will not blatantly display my good fortune to be allowed to sleep over on this magnificent craft. The drool could short out yer collective keyboards. :ROFLMAO:
PS The owner took me upon my offer to do some minor swabbie w*rk in return for quartering me. And he said he is going sailing at least once, if not more, while I'm there. Tough duty! :'(

Gentlemen...I just got a link from the boat owner, showing me what this beauty looks like. I am being gracious and therefore will not blatantly display my good fortune to be allowed to sleep over on this magnificent craft. The drool could short out yer collective keyboards. :ROFLMAO:
No fair. Now that you've mentioned it, you gotta post a pic.

No fair. Now that you've mentioned it, you gotta post a pic.
OK OK...I'll be fair...presenting a snowbird's (me) waterfront hotel, all 36 feet of it. Picture waking up at sunrise aboard this baby after being gently rocked all night. :)
So that's what I did today...secured quarters for my winter escape in January 2010.

Attachments

• WaterHotel.jpg
    WaterHotel.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 192
You're gonna have a great time. Living on a sailboat is kinda magical. You are right about coffee in the cockpit at dawn.

You'll get to learn all about marine toilets, and maybe even pumping out holding tanks :yuk:, but no biggie. A 36 footer will probably have one of those combo head/showers, where you have to sit on the toilet lid and shower with a handheld wand, getting the whole place wet; but the marina will probably have a nice bathroom complex with showers and laundry and all that. Unless the boat has a heat pump (it seems to be an older model, so maybe yes, maybe no) it might be chilly, but then you are from "up north".

Be careful of the propane system. Propane is heavier than air, and really dangerous in a boat. The boat will have a master cut-off valve for the propane. Use it. Turn the propane on only when cooking then turn it off again.

You're gonna have a great time. Living on a sailboat is kinda magical. You are right about coffee in the cockpit at dawn.
...marine toilets...pumping out holding tanks :yuk:, A 36 footer will probably have one of those combo head/showers, where you have to sit on the toilet lid and shower with a handheld wand, getting the whole place wet; ...chilly, but then you are from "up north".

Be careful of the propane system. Propane is heavier than air, and really dangerous in a boat. The boat will have a master cut-off valve for the propane. Use it. Turn the propane on only when cooking then turn it off again.
All good points. :flowers:
I'm an experienced boater, as in 25 years worth. My LH and I owned a 1985 34' Pearson sailboat (bought used) on Ontario. I don't plan to cook onboard for exactly the reason you gave about propane. I knew my own sailboat, but I would not attempt that on someone else's boat. Pizza and Chinese takeout time! :LOL:
Boat owner said not to worry about the cold, he has plenty of blankets on board. I am a native NYer, so bring on the FL cold, baby. Yeah. ;)
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Florida/Tampa/
versus
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/New%20York/Syracuse/

Nice tub, Freebird. Reminds me that I miss sleeping on a boat.

Enjoy.

Back from camping, kayaking trip. Have spent all of the time ignoring the world. Good for the soul.

This morning it was so quiet at the lakeside I could hear small fallen tree leafs rustling on the gravel pushed by the the breeze.

This is becoming more and more fun!

I know the feeling. The last six or seven weeks of work they took me off cases because I was not going to be available for court. Office protocol was that each week one person did the janitorial duties. We didn't have a cleaning service because of evidence control issues. So for the last six weeks that task fell to me, taking about 45 minutes a day. The rest of the time I read the newspaper, surfed the web, took two-hour lunches, went shopping, etc.

So for six weeks I was the highest-paid janitor in the county.:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom