what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like fun - and very relaxing. Kind of the opposite from the way we spent the morning anyway. A new shopping mall opened here in Shanghai about 1 mile from our house. So we rode our bikes and checked it out - never know when we might find something new (according to DW). Anyway - that was a zoo!! Even by Shanghai standards, it was crowded. At one point, there were so many people in one store that the cops weren't allowing any more into it! Didn't find anything worthwhile afterall. This afternoon more relaxing - doing some reading and household chores.

Gave blood. Bought groceries. Pumped gas. Thinking chicken soup for supper.

Mowed the lawn for the first time in over four months. Showered. Did a load of dishes and made a couple of quiches. My wife will be quite surprised when she gets home from her knitting group in another hour or two...

Went to the gym and did what for me was a very tough workout for an hour. Came home, showered and changed. Then Frank and I went to an upscale Chinese restaurant for lunch. Afterwards, he took me about 40 miles to the outlet mall in Gonzales, Louisiana and we shopped. He bought four shirts, and I bought two pairs of long pants for myself.

I'm tired! It is hot out there today, or maybe it's just the humidity.

Did mundane housekeeping tasks today as I have friends visiting from Houston for a couple of days next week. I am very much looking forward to this couple's stay as we are long time friends, and I will enjoy touring around with them. I went up to the high school track for a half an hour jog. I need to put in a good solid hour or two at the gym tomorrow for sure. We are having stunning weather here in western PA...sunny and high 60's. I hope it lasts while my visitors are in town.

img_857108_0_eec8c133c31de5869c1bb2cb9743eba0.jpg

When I was a child I wanted a Spirograph but never had one, so I decided to simulate one.

Here is a movie of a wheel with an arm, rolling inside another wheel, drawing a hypotrochoid curve.
YouTube - Mac Grapher Examples: Spirograph2
I did the simulation and made the movie with Grapher, a free math and graphing package that comes with every Mac. (It is in the Applications folder under Utilities.)

If you have a Mac and want to play with it to see how Grapher works, download this zipped file
View attachment Spirograph.gcx.zip
It should unzip automatically and the Spirgraph.gcx file should be in your Downloads folder. Double click on the file icon to start Grapher.

The simulation allows you to change the radius of both wheels, and the length of the arm to make all sorts of weird and wonderful curves. You can also make rolling wheel roll around the outside of the fixed wheel for a whole different family of curves.

If the image may be stretched when Grapher opens, click on the "Equalize Axis" button at the top.
zoom.gif
To start the animation, click on the start button to the left.
start.gif
To change a parameter, click on one of them and change the value like you would in a spreadsheet.
paramters.gif
The simulations run slowly and jerkily because they require a lot of calculations. To see a simulation run smoothly, click on the film icon at the upper right to make a movie.
buttons.gif
If you have any trouble, PM me. And yes, I know that I am a hopeless Geek.

I had a Spirograph too (and it was fun!!). I think string art was more in my daughter's generation. In honors fourth grade math, her teacher had them doing string art for weeks at a time after they had all finished the standardized curriculum. I will never forget that since we were very dissatisfied with that treatment of kids who learn faster than the norm.

More geeky Grapher stuff

Cycloids are curves that a point on the edge of a wheel traces out as it rolls. Here is a Grapher animation.
YouTube - cycloid3
Cycloids have an amazing property. Imagine the curve as wires with beads sliding on them. The beads all reach the bottom at the same time no matter from where they were released!
YouTube - cycloid2
Here are the files if you are a Mac user and a geek:
View attachment cycloid2.gcx.zip
View attachment cycloid3.gcx.zip
The animations are all parameterized so you play with them as you wish.

I consider today my First Day of retirement. I have to go in on Oct. 1st but I'm off till then. Had coffee while setting outside watching everyone going to work, enjoyed it. Had breakfast,walked,puttered on internet, napped and worked in the yard pm. Walked again after supper and now waiting on T-storms to move through. Gotta love it!

I consider today my First Day of retirement. I have to go in on Oct. 1st but I'm off till then. Had coffee while setting outside watching everyone going to work, enjoyed it. Had breakfast,walked,puttered on internet, napped and worked in the yard pm. Walked again after supper and now waiting on T-storms to move through. Gotta love it!

It gets better.:D

Some mundane household stuff (dishes, freezing strawberries, laundry).

I've been putting this one off for a while...I finally called the local SS office to investigate LH's SS benefits and get a written determination. I had attempted doing this years ago, but my brain was fogged up and got nowhere with a very unhelpful staffer. I found out (again) that he didn't have enough quarters, but the very nice and helpful lady I talked to today said she would personally do a review of w*rk records for completeness and get back to me. She will send me the hardcopy I was never given when I initially requested it, pending her boss' approval. Whew!

I found out (again) that he didn't have enough quarters...
What a bureaucratic mess.

I don't mean to make this any more painful than it already is, but I'll bring it up because it's not publicized-- let alone easily understood. I don't know if there's any link between quarters and dollars in the Social Security "military wage credit" system, but it might be worth asking if it's applicable:
Military personnel have been covered under Social Security since 1957, and those who served in 2001 or earlier receive special credits that augment their earnings for the purpose of computing Social Security benefits. For those who served between 1957 and 1977, credits equal $300 for each quarter of active-duty pay. Those serving between 1978 and 2001 receive credits equal to an additional $100 in earnings for each $300 they receive in active-duty pay (total credits may not exceed $1,200 a year).

But this benefit might not apply until after the minimum number of quarters.

What a bureaucratic mess.

I don't mean to make this any more painful than it already is, but I'll bring it up because it's not publicized-- let alone easily understood. I don't know if there's any link between quarters and dollars in the Social Security "military wage credit" system, but it might be worth asking if it's applicable:

But this benefit might not apply until after the minimum number of quarters.
Not painful at all...well not as much anymore. I'll take all the advice I can get. I'll copy this into a new thread (I'll provide more details there),
UPDATED: see http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/need-advice-for-survivor-ss-benefits-46423.html
and as long as you all aren't squeamish, I won't be. Tuff girl...remember ?

Sitting here wondering what my next body reaction will be to whatever "bug" I've had for a week. First, body aches, feeling tired...moved on to tummy ache...over that and went to body aches again. Then came the "fuzzies" in my throat and chest. Today minor aches, a few less fuzzies, but now it hurts to move my eyes. :p

Eh...at least I don't have to go to w*rk.

Sitting here wondering what my next body reaction will be to whatever "bug" I've had for a week. First, body aches, feeling tired...moved on to tummy ache...over that and went to body aches again. Then came the "fuzzies" in my throat and chest. Today minor aches, a few less fuzzies, but now it hurts to move my eyes. :p

Eh...at least I don't have to go to w*rk.

if it hurts to move your eyes you should go see a Dr. as that is one of the symptoms of inflamation to the meninges and you would want to rule out meningitis.

bbbamI, here's another vote to see your doctor. I hope you aren't getting swine flu.

As for me, I am starting another two week "staycation", so I slept in (of course!). :LOL: Got up and got to the gym by 10 AM, and had a great 1 hour workout. My intention for the rest of the day is to do nothing constructive whatsoever. I might break down in my resolve to do nothing, and go to Supercuts since I really need a haircut. Or not. There is always manana. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom