what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far not too much.

Think I'll grab a beer and play in the yard...it's 77.7 degrees...

No golf today, rained early this morning. So slept late and just hung around the house. Ate lunch at mom's and then walked the 4 mile hiking trail I always did with my golden retriever.:( Just not the same without a furry 4 legged companion walking along. But, I needed the exercise. Definitely going to get another mutt later this year. Probably a golden or a lab. Or a mix of the two.

Oh yes........just mowed the yard.

Worked out, went for a bike ride (very brisk), had my yearly eye exam - still cant see squat unless its a mile away, went to post office - they were closed between 1-2 so I waited until they came back, pressure washed the sidewalk and detached garage in the rain, now for a nap

I went in to the office early so I could leave early. Went out to lunch, left at 3 for an hour at the gym then came home. Spent the evening watching the last episode of the very enjoyable Ken Burns documentary "The National Parks".

Got up and fed the baby. Let him play while I watched an episode of Clean House. Bounced the babe around for a while and crawled madly around the dining room table while he chased me. Checked the net. Baby took a nap and I adjusted his car seat and cleaned up the kitchen. Talked to a sister on the phone. We drove up to mall and picked up my new recliner. It is sitting in a huge box in the back of my truck. I'll have to contemplate that for awhile. We had lunch--spinach and tomato and <gasp> meat. Baby had it blenderized.

Went for a little walk with the little man. Now I sit while he plays. It is a nice day.

This thread is where I come for my daily dose of envy.... one day, my time will come.

Seriously, this thread is where I come to motivate myself to save more, invest smarter, and to look ahead at what my life could be WITHOUT WORK. Love reading this stuff... :)

Well said. The ongoing saga always has someone doing something that I would like to be doing.

Business meeting in another city for the last two days. Very intense, but Thursday night, we did have an excellent dinner in a beautiful historic building. Arrived home at 11:30 pm last night after a bumpy flight with a crying toddler two rows away. Watching a Season 1 episode of Mad Men kept me sane.

Last month spouse found a desperate Craigslist seller unloading a 2005 Kenmore Elite convection oven for $150. They'd bought it from Sears as a $500 repo, they were demolishing/rebuilding their 1959 Ewa Beach home, and they were in a hurry to get rid of it. Unbelievable bargain-- she had even bought a warranty policy on it, so we got to watch the Sears guy do his annual check. As soon as he left in his truck, the oven left in our car.

We field-stripped everything and spouse had to do an incredible amount of cleaning while I checked out a rumor of rodent damage, but it all seems to work just fine.

So yesterday we yanked out our decrepit 20-year-old no-parts-available Frigidaire drop-in. We shaved away the Corian counter about two molecules at a time and eventually made exactly the right space for the new oven. I used to spend more time fixing the old oven/range than using it. This one should spend a lot less time on its Thanksgiving turkey, and I can spend more time on the turkey than the oven.

For the last nine years, whenever a neighbor disposed of their “old” stove curbside we'd strip it for spare parts to keep ours running. We've built up an attic inventory of about three stoves' worth and we're ready to get rid of all of it. So now our front lanai looks like the set of Sanford & Son while we invite the neighbors to drop by for free parts.

Attachments

• 1989 vintage Frigidaire drop-in oven.JPG
    1989 vintage Frigidaire drop-in oven.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2005 Kenmore Elite convection oven.JPG
    2005 Kenmore Elite convection oven.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Free parts.JPG
    Free parts.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 1
You made a mess all over the new lanai!
Sigh. I know. And that's after a neighbor took home a half-dozen burners and all the extra knobs. We'll clean the rest of it up in a couple weeks.

By far the messiest part of the project was cutting just 3/4"x30" off the Corian counter with a jigsaw. I couldn't believe how much Corian dust went all over.

Before the stamped concrete, we used to go out onto the lanais or driveway and just pound away on our projects-- spew sawdust, spray WD-40, drop power tools, and not worry about it.

Now we're either putting down tarps or going into the garage on top of the old FuturaStone, and we're actually sweeping up with a foxtail & dustpan. I'm terrified of accidentally dinging the stamped concrete or scraping something across it or finding out that WD-40 doesn't wash off... the stuff is probably far sturdier than we give it credit for. We'll get used to it in another year or two.

Spouse really enjoys using the inner/outer controls on the range burners.

The new oven looks great.

Had two really good gigs Friday and Saturday on one of the best pianos in the area. That's a lot of socializing for an introvert like me, so today I recharge my batteries.

We had to find the right day to pull the boat out for the season :(. The docks will be pulled on the 12th. NWS radio wasn't our best friend for the last week. :nonono:
However...Saturday had the forecast that dreams are made of. Mid 70s, winds 5-10 knots, partly sunny. :D
So we went for a 3 hour spin on glass conditions with fall foliage just starting to get good.

Final Score:
Freebird 10
Rain 0

Attachments

• LkDelta2Oct09-1.jpg
    LkDelta2Oct09-1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 3
  • LkDelta2Oct09-2.jpg
    LkDelta2Oct09-2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 3
I mailed my 2008 1040. My "adjusted AGI" is low enough that I will just pay the standard Medicare premium next year, and I am happy about that.

Paying excess fees for public programs only because I have been successful and frugal is annoying to me.

I get mildly envious whenever I meet someone with dual citizenship in US and another advanced country.

Now I'm going out to engage in some flânerie. :)

Ha

My 2 week vacation is over and I am back at work this week. So, I started my exit clearance. I know, it seems early but it has to be started at least two weeks before departure, and I plan to take another 2.5 week vacation starting next week...

People at work are starting to say things like (brightly!) "Say, you're going to be retiring soon now, aren't you!" :LOL: Well, yes I am. :D

Also my supervisor and I arranged for my retirement party, on my second to last working day. Instead of the usual heavy luncheon halfway across town, I elected to use a conference room on our floor. We'll have snack food (some even healthy!) and sodas and people can say their goodbyes and then take food back to their desks. My kind of party - - a party for introverts!

While I was gone the stuff hit the fan in some aspects of my work. I'll give my advice to the appropriate person (who asked to see me about it tomorrow), but really it just isn't my concern any more. They are going to MISS me if this keeps up. :cool:

And finally, I almost fell asleep at my desk this afternoon. I have never done that but I sure came close.

When I was working out at the gym at the near-by army base I struck up a conversation with a young guy about age 19. He seemed perplexed that the POTUS could not decided if the Afghan war was worth the trouble and he (the soldier) had orders to OROS to Afghanistan on 1 Dec 2009. I told him that LBJ bailed out on me just prior to me going to fight in Vietnam in 1968 and understood his delima.

"We're tougher than those SOBs" were my final words prior to departing the gym. He smiled and gave me the thumbs up.:cool:

People at work are starting to say things like (brightly!) "Say, you're going to be retiring soon now, aren't you!" :LOL: Well, yes I am. :D
While I was gone the stuff hit the fan in some aspects of my work. I'll give my advice to the appropriate person (who asked to see me about it tomorrow), but really it just isn't my concern any more. They are going to MISS me if this keeps up. :cool:
And finally, I almost fell asleep at my desk this afternoon. I have never done that but I sure came close.

My never-fail SMIRK detector just went off ;) and it is blaring.

I had 6 solid weeks of this, minus some leftover SL, and I relished every single day. And put some ketchup and mustard on it. :ROFLMAO:

You need to pause a moment and reflect on the amazing and liberating phrase you just posted. I'm envisioning hundreds of people reading it and thinking wistfully, "someday"... :)

It seems pretty miraculous, all right. The work situations that are emerging just are not within my time frame. Letting go of the control over my little domain at work is unnerving but extremely liberating - - this must be what skydiving feels like.

And to the hundreds of people reading it and thinking wistfully, "someday"... I hope your day is sooner than you imagine! :D

Today I ate pie for lunch; fresh, warm, apple pie and a cup of coffee and then waded in the Russian River (not so warm).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom